· The Daily Brief
· The Middle East in Focus
· Life: How do YOU vote?
Capitol Hill Prayer Partners
P.O. Box 5152
Herndon, VA 20172-1970
The Daily Brief Friday, September 5, 2008
"His Kingdom is the one which shall not be destroyed, and His dominion shall endure to the end." (Daniel 6:26)
The Daily Brief
1. John McCain Accepts GOP Presidential Nomination, Leads Republican Party - ABC News
Full remarks as prepared for delivery and provided by the campaign of Sen. John McCain as he accepts the 2008 Republican presidential nomination on Sept. 4, 2008, at the Xcel Energy Center in Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota.--Gibbs says McCain will follow God's game plan - Washington TimesHall of Fame former Redskins coach Joe Gibbs endorsed John McCain on the last night of the Republican convention, predicting that electing the Republican would spark a return to "God's word" and a "spiritual revival."-- Obama Hones Message for Conservatives - NY Sun Senator McCain wasn't the only candidate reaching out to conservatives last night. While Mr. McCain accepted the Republican presidential nomination, his Democratic rival, Senator Obama, was talking tough on foreign policy in a long-awaited interview with a Fox News host, Bill O'Reilly.
· Lord, help keep our minds toward revival and open to what You will show us in the next two months. Lord, thank you that You will reveal what is now hidden. Please help us to be patient in waiting for You to reveal Your will.
· "LORD, Your hand is lifted up to take action, but they do not see it. They will see Your zeal for Your people, and they will be put to shame. The fire for Your adversaries will consume them! LORD, You will establish peace for us, for You have also done all our work for us. " (Isaiah 26:11-12)
2. Services, Productivity up but Job Market Weak - ABC News
The dominant U.S. service sector improved last month and businesses boosted productivity in the second quarter but evidence of labor market weakness overshadowed other data the day before a key jobs report.
· God, as economic indicators vary from day to day we sometimes become overwhelmed by the seeming urgency of the news. Lord, when this happens, please help us to focus on our true inheritance in heaven and remember that Your plan is not for today, but for eternity.
· "Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. According to His great mercy, He has given us a new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, and into an inheritance that is imperishable, uncorrupted, and unfading, kept in heaven for you, who are being protected by God's power through faith for a salvation that is ready to be revealed in the last time." (1 Peter 1:3-5)
3. NY judge sides with governor on same- sex 'marriage' - One News
NowA New York judge has ruled that Governor David Paterson's action to recognize out-of-state homosexual "marriages" is the legal and fair thing to do.
· Lord, decisions like this are offensive to Your heart and painful even for sinners like us. God, bring focus to Your people so that we may stand strong and recognize when our heritage is being destroyed. Bring wisdom to those in power and bring the righteous into places of power in the court system.
· "Why do You force me to look at injustice? Why do You tolerate wrongdoing? Oppression and violence are right in front of me. Strife is ongoing, and conflict escalates. This is why the law is ineffective and justive never emerges. For the wicked restrict the righteous; therefore, justice comes out perverted." (Habakkuk 1:3-4)
4. US raid complicating Pakistani's presidential bid - AP
A deadly American-led raid on a Pakistani village embarrassed the government and eroded support for the pro-U.S. presidential front-runner Thursday just two days before the election.-- Afghan Leader Vows Punishment for Deadly US Raid - ABC News The Afghan president said a deadly raid on a village by American and Afghan commandos has put new strain on relations with the United States and promised Thursday to punish those responsible.
· Lord, the enemy in this region is using national borders to try to split the governments so that they will not be held to account. Bring a reconciliation to the leaders so that they will work together to protect the innocent.
· Then Jephthah said to them, "My people and I had a serious conflict with the Ammonites. So I called for you, but you didn't deliver me from their power. When I saw that you weren't going to deliver me, I took my life in my own hands and crossed over to the Ammonites, and the LORD handed them over to me. Why then have you come today to fight against me?" (Judges 12:2-3)
5. Petraeus Recommends One Brigade Leave Iraq Before New President Takes Over - Fox News
Gen. David Petraeus, outgoing commander of the Multi-National Force in Iraq, is recommending that one U.S. army brigade be withdrawn from Iraq before a new administration takes over in January.-- Iraqi government to gain control of anti-al Qaeda councils - CNNThe U.S. military will transfer control of Sunni Awakening groups to the Iraqi government next month, a U.S. military spokesman said Thursday in Baghdad.
· Thank you Lord for the progress that has been made in Iraq. Continue to foil the plans of the wicked and to allow the Iraqi people to move into a peace that will allow for the growth of Your kingdom.
· ". . . for the days are certainly coming"-this is the LORD's declaration-"when I will restore the fortunes of My people Israel and Judah"- the LORD's declaration. "I will restore them to the land I gave to their ancestors and they will possess it." (Jeremiah 30:3)
6. Dick Cheney, US vice-president, attacks Russia for 'illegitimate' invasion of Georgia - London Telegraph
Mr Cheney, one of the Bush administration's leading hawks, was always expected to deliver a hostile message to the Kremlin when he arrived in Tbilisi, the Georgian capital, on the second leg of a three-nation tour of ex-Soviet states opposed to Moscow.-- Cheney Offers US Backing for Georgia's NATO Bid - ABC NewsVice President Dick Cheney insisted that Georgia will join NATO and backed its attempts to rebuild from its war with Russia on Thursday, using a trip to former Soviet republics as a show of U.S. support for their pro-Western leaders.
· Lord, as we see the aggression of Russia, continue to bring the leaders of the world into agreement against these attacks. Thank You for the courage of leaders who will support this vulnerable nation and other nations that may also come under attack in the future.
· "This is what the Lord GOD says: On that day, thoughts will arise in your mind, and you will devise an evil plan. You will say: I will go up against a land of open villages; I will come against a tranquil people who are living securely, all of them living without walls and without bars or gates." (Ezekiel 38:10-11)
7. Secretary of State Makes Historic Visit to Libya - Fox News
The United States and Libya sealed a historic turnaround after decades of terrorist killings, American retaliation, suspicions and insults with Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice's peacemaking visit Friday with Moammar Qaddafi, Libya's mercurial strongman. "The relationship has been moving in a good direction for a number of years now and I think tonight does mark a new phase," Rice said following a traditional Muslim dinner - the evening meal that breaks the day's fast observed during the month of Ramadan - at Qaddafi's official Bab el-Azizia residence. Ms. Rice said the historic visit to Libya and meeting with Qaddafi shows that the U.S. "doesn't have any permanent enemies."
· Lord God help us to be careful in this world as those who were our enemies now seek to be our friends. Help us to have a spirit of discernment to guide our actions and keep us safe in perilous times.
· "Look, I'm sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as serpents and as harmless as doves." (Matthew 10:16)
8. Hanna Bears Down on Carolinas - Fox News
Southern states prepare as Tropical Storm Hanna moves in with Ike close behind.
· Lord, once again we come before You in the Name of Jesus, asking for mercy in the midst of these storms. We ask that You would minimize the impact of each one; and even redirect them according to Your perfect will. Please give our EMT authorities Your wisdom, and Your strength, as they face each storm in their path; and please grant safety to our citizens, too.
· "If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer." (Matthew 21:22)
The Middle East in Focus
The Middle East in Focus This week, for all the headlines cited below, please join us in proclaiming THIS DECREE: "O Lord, the hope of Israel; all who forsake You will be put to shame." (Jeremiah 17:13)
1. Israel sees Syria break out of isolation - Jerusalem Post
Israeli diplomatic officials viewed the four-way summit in Damascus among the leaders of Syria, France, Turkey and Qatar on Thursday with some frustration, saying Syrian President Bashar Assad had effectively broken out of his international isolation without having given anything in return.
2. Nasrallah: Hizbullah at war with Israel - Ynet News
Hizbullah's secretary-general continues his psychological warfare against Israel: Hizbullah leader Hassan Nasrallah said Thursday that "Hizbullah is still at war with Israel," warning supporters that "at the moment the enemy feels we are weak it will return to occupy us."
3. Israel allows transfer of 1,000 guns, 10,000 bullets to PA - Jerusalem Post
Jordan recently facilitated the transfer of close to 1,000 automatic rifles and some 10,000 bullets to the Palestinian Authority in the West Bank, defense officials revealed Thursday.
4. Sarkozy warns Iran it risks attack by Israel - Financial Times
Nicolas Sarkozy, the French president, warned Iran on Thursday that it was taking a big risk by seeking to obtain a military nuclear capability, saying that one day it could find Israel had decided to attack.
Life: How do YOU vote?
Voting the Word of God or with the Words of Man
I have a question for you. This is a question that cuts to your heart. Where do you stand on life? Those of us who believe in the Bible and in the God of the Bible believe that God created life as it says in Genesis 1:27, "So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them." And the very next verse says, "And God blessed them, and God said unto them, be fruitful, and multiply . . ." God told Noah and his sons in Genesis 9:7, "And you, be ye fruitful and multiply; bring forth abundantly in the earth, and multiply therein." In Deuteronomy 30:19 the Lord says, "I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life that both you and thy seed may live."
There is no doubt whatsoever from what is written in the Bible that life begins at conception and that God is a God of life. So where do you stand on life? Do you stand for life or death? It's that simple. Do you align with God's word or another's? For example, Democratic Presidential Candidate B. Hussein Obama, who says he is a follower of God, says that he favors abortion. On March 29th, he said, "Look, I've got two daughters. 9 years old and 6 years old. I am going to teach them first of all about values and morals. But if they make a mistake, I don't want them punished with a baby."
When asked at what point does a baby get human rights, Obama replied on August 16th, that "answering that question with specificity, you know, is above my pay grade." But as an Illinois state senator in 2001 speaking in favor of protecting abortion, Obama said, "Whenever we define a pre-viable fetus as a person that is protected by the Equal Protection Clause or other elements in the Constitution, what we're really saying is, in fact, that they are persons that are entitled to the kinds of protections that would be provided to a -- a child, a 9-month old child that was delivered to term . . . that determination then, essentially, if it was accepted by a court, would forbid abortions to take place."
Another candidate, Republican Vice Presidential Candidate Sarah Palin has a different view. She said upon the birth of her Downs Syndrome son in April, "We knew through early testing he would face special challenges, and we feel privileged that God would entrust us with this gift and allow us unspeakable joy as he entered our lives. We have faith that every baby is created for good purpose and has potential to make this world a better place." Palin said she was proud that her unwed daughter decided to have her baby. But what of you? What is your stance on life? Is your position on life in alignment with God's or in alignment with some candidate? And will your vote align with the word of God or the words of man?
Word of Life Ministry