· The Daily Brief
· Links to Other Resources
Capitol Hill Prayer Partners
P.O. Box 5152
Herndon, VA 20172-1970
The Daily Brief Wednesday, September 3, 2008
"Turn Your ear to me, come quickly to my rescue; be my rock of refuge, a strong fortress to save me." (Psalm 31:2)
The Daily Brief
1. Palin Gets Her Chance to Address Nation, Allegations - Fox News
Sarah Palin gets her chance Wednesday night to show how she weathers the bright lights as she makes her case to the nation about why she should be vice president. Palin, the Alaska governor and surprise pick as John McCain's running mate, "will not be used as an attack dog" during her nomination acceptance speech at the Republican National Convention, according to McCain sources. Instead, Palin is expected to tell her story: small-town mayor, wife of a blue-collar North Slope oil worker, former beauty queen, expert marksman, 44-year-old mother of five and chief executive of the resource-rich 49th state. A new term, "Conservative Female Abuse" or CFA, is being floated by conservative author and media analyst, Michelle Malkin, in response to the intense media scrutiny of Mrs. Palin and other conservative female elected officials.
· Gracious Lord, You ask us to be meek when attacked unfairly by our opponents, and You give us a promise when we do Your Will. May Sarah Palin, one of Your children, have a double measure of Your grace and wisdom tonight as she appears before America as the Republican nominee for Vice President of the United States. Please bless her, her family, the Republican Party, the Office of the Presidency and the United States that she seeks to represent; and stop the lies and attacks upon her, her family and service to Alaska and America. In Your Name we pray, Jesus. Amen.
· "Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth." (Matthew 5: 5 NKJV)
· As Sarah Palin addresses the Republican National Convention tonight in Minneapolis, MN, we ask for divine protection and safety for her and for everyone gathered there.
· "No weapon forged against thee shall prosper . . ." (Isaiah 54:17)
2. Haiti Left 'Screaming for Help' as Tropical Storm Hanna Poised to Sweep U.S. Coast - Fox News
Tropical Storm Hanna drenched flood-plagued Haiti on Wednesday, claiming two lives and adding to the miseries of a country that has lost more than 100 lives to mudslides and flooding since mid-August. Hanna is still expected to change course, sweep across the Bahamas and then start climbing along the U.S. coastline by the weekend, according to the U.S. National Hurricane Center in Miami - with some chance it could bring tropical storm force winds to New York City. Meanwhile, Tropical Storm Ike was cruising westward across the Atlantic with top winds near 65 mph and projected to near the Bahamas by Sunday as a hurricane. Just behind Ike was Tropical Storm Josephine, which gained a little strength with top winds near 60 mph. Forecasters expected Josephine to get stronger over the day.
· This has to be a divine time of opportunity, Lord, to have three tropical storms simultaneously threatening our shores. We ask You to cause these storms to abate, even as You did for Gustav. May You graciously prepare those who will be in the storm's paths to have wisdom and courage in the face of possible adversity. May many be saved through Your Son, Jesus Christ because of these afflictions that You have allowed. And, when the wind and waves have ceased, may You receive the Glory! In Your Name we pray for many miracles this Hurricane Season. Amen.
· "So I will restore to you the years that the swarming locust has eaten--My great army which I sent among you. You shall eat in plenty and be satisfied, and praise the Name of the Lord your God, Who has dealt wondrously with you; and My people shall never be put to shame." (Joel 2: 25a,c & 26 NKJV)
3. U.S. Officials: North Korea Reassembling Nuclear Facility - Fox News
North Korea, after halting the disassembly of a key nuclear center, is now putting the facility back together in violation of the United States' conditions for improved diplomatic relations between the countries, U.S. officials said Tuesday. The motive isn't clear but sources say North Koreans likely are reassembling nuclear facilities at Yongbyon partly to protest the United States' delay in taking the country off its list of terror-sponsoring nations. The two sides have since been negotiating how to verify the nuclear declaration, but no agreement has been reached. Washington has insisted it will remove North Korea from the terror list only after the country agrees fully to a verification plan.
· Father of Korea and the whole world that You created! We pray for a Godly reunification of North and South Korea so that this land will be made whole and that it will have Godly leadership that will no longer seek to destroy others with nuclear weaponry. May the truth about why North Korea is reassembling a key nuclear facility be revealed before any bloodshed occurs. Please indwell this situation with Your Holy Spirit, bring peace to Korea and save many for Your Son's Glory. In Your Name we pray. Amen.
· "For behold, the darkness shall cover the earth, and deep darkness the people; but the Lord will arise over you, and His glory will be seen upon you." (Isaiah 60: 2 NKJV)
4. Russia Will Complete Iran Nuclear Plant - AFP
The Russian company building Iran's first nuclear power plant, Atomstroiexport, has renewed a commitment to complete the project, the official IRNA news agency reported on Tuesday. Russia, one of the five permanent members of the UN Security Council, is building the plant at Bushehr on the Gulf coast of Iran despite a long-running standoff over Tehran's controversial nuclear drive. The UN Security Council has imposed three sets of sanctions on Iran over its failure to heed resolutions requiring the suspension of uranium enrichment, a process which makes fuel for a nuclear power plant but also the core of an atomic bomb.
· Father and Creator of the Universe, we ask You today to begin rebuilding Iran's leadership so that it will be one that acknowledges You as the Only True God, and that its people will be able to worship You. We ask that You dismantle Iran's existing leadership and install Your elected officials who will not cooperate with Russia or any other anti-Judeo- Christian countries. May its nuclear capabilities be truly used for peaceful energy purposes, and Iranians be set free for Your Gospel to be proclaimed! In Jesus' Name we pray. Amen.
· "I will return again to My place till they acknowledge their offense. Then they will seek My face; in their affliction they will earnestly seek Me." (Hosea 5: 15 NKJV)
5. U.S. To Give $1B In Aid To Georgia - USA Today
The Bush administration plans to roll out a $1 billion economic aid package for Georgia on Wednesday to help the pro-Western former Soviet republic rebuild after Russia's invasion last month. The aid is aimed at showing concrete U.S. support for Georgian President Mikhail Saakhashvili and his government and is to be announced shortly before Vice President Dick Cheney visits Georgia this week. The multi-year proposal calls for spending about half of the total in the administration's remaining five months in office and recommending that the incoming president and his team continue funding the project when they take over in January, a senior official said. The package, some of which will require congressional approval, will be a substantial U.S. investment in Georgia, but is only half the $2 billion a year in assistance Washington provides its closest Mideast ally, Israel.
· Wow, God! Thank You for allowing America to help the country of Georgia, "the least of these," in addition to helping the "Apple of Your Eye," Israel. We praise You for giving our nation the resources to reflect Your true religion, the helping of the "widows and the orphans." Please bless, restore and comfort Georgia and her people to pre-Russian conflict conditions, and may they know that these blessings come from You! May they and their opponents be saved unto Your Son, Jesus, in Whose Name we pray. Amen.
· We claim Your promises for Israel for Georgia, and for the whole world that You created: "They shall be My people, and I will be their God; For thus says the Lord: 'Just as I have brought all this great calamity on this people, so I will bring on them all the good that I have promised them.'" (Jeremiah 32: 38 & 42 NKJV)
6. Putin Vows 'An Answer' To NATO Ships Near Georgia - ABC News
Prime Minister Vladimir Putin said Tuesday that Russia will respond calmly to an increase in NATO ships in the Black Sea in the aftermath of the short war with Georgia, but promised that "there will be an answer." Russia has repeatedly complained that NATO has too many warships in the Black Sea, numbering two U.S., one Polish, one Spanish and one German ship there now. "We don't understand what American ships are doing on the Georgian shores, but this is a question of taste, it's a decision by our American colleagues," Putin reportedly said.
"The second question is why the humanitarian aid is being delivered on naval vessels armed with the newest rocket systems."Meanwhile, President Dmitry Medvedev sternly warned the West that it would lose more than Moscow would if it tried to punish Russia with sanctions over the war with Georgia. He also warned that NATO would suffer more than Russia if its ties with Moscow were severed. NATO nations depend on Russia as a transit route for supplies going to the alliance's troops in Afghanistan.
· Lord Jesus, You knew that this U.S., NATO and Russian standoff would happen long before You created the Universe. There is nothing too difficult for You to resolve, so we ask You to defuse this situation and restore Your peace to Georgia and its allies and to remove Russia's aggressive tactics so that they and their leadership will have a chance to calmly come to know You as their Savior. Please protect our troops and allies that appear to be dependent upon Russian-soil supply transit routes as they serve in Afghanistan. For Your Glory, we pray these resolutions. Amen.
· "And my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus." (Philippians 4: 19 NKJV)