· The Daily Brief
· The Middle East in Focus
· Election News
· Update: Obama's Citizenship Case
Capitol Hill Prayer Partners
P.O. Box 5152
Herndon, VA 20172-1970
The Daily Brief Thursday, September 18, 2008
"Be always on the watch, and pray that you may be able to escape all that is about to happen, and that you may be able to stand before the Son of Man." (Luke 21:36)
The Daily Brief
1. House Passes Rules Easing D.C. Gun Restriction - AP
The House moved Wednesday to compel the nation's capital to broaden the rights of its residents to buy and own firearms, including semiautomatic weapons. Critics, led by the District of Columbia's sole delegate to Congress, decried the action. They said the vote tramples on the District's rights to govern itself and could endanger both residents and political dignitaries who so often travel across the city. But the National Rifle Association-backed bill, passed easily, 266-152, with supporters saying they were determined to give D.C. residents the same Second Amendment right of self-defense that has been available to other Americans.
· Lord, we ask for Your continued protection over all the Constitutional freedoms of America. We pray that Your people will understand that our freedoms are actually privileges and should be used wisely.
· "Stand fast therefore in the liberty by which Christ has made us free, and do not be entangled again with a yoke of bondage." (Galatians 5:1)
2. A. Economy: -- Gold Prices Post Biggest 1 Day Gain Ever - AP
Gold prices exploded Wednesday -- posting the biggest one-day gain ever in dollar terms -- as fears of more credit market turmoil unnerved investors and triggered a flood of safe-haven buying.
B. August Housing Starts Lowest Since 1991; Trade Gap Widens - USA Today
Construction of new homes plummeted to a 17-1/2-year low in August, as builders scaled back sharply to try to cope with the deep housing slump.
C. China to Buy Morgan Stanley? - Reuters
Morgan Stanley topped the list of major financial firms scrambling to find a buyer, while central banks rushed in $180 billion of extra liquidity to bring some calm to panicked stock and money markets. Morgan Stanley was discussing a deal with U.S. regional banking powerhouse Wachovia, according to a source familiar with the matter, while CNBC said HSBC Holdings and China's CITIC Group were also eyeing Wall Street's second-largest investment bank.
· Father, hear our repentance for our sins, and answer in Your mercy! And in Jesus' Name we take authority over and bind the fears that are running our stock markets and economic forecasts at this time. We speak blessing and peace over America's economy and rebuke all curses spoken against us.
· "Death and life are in the power of the tongue . . ." (Proverbs 18:21a)
3. U.S. Officials Bust Weapons Ring Exporting Components to Iran - Fox News
Sixteen foreign nationals and corporations have been indicted on charges of illegally exporting potential military and explosives components to Iran, FOX News has learned.
· Thank You, Lord for this investigation's success. We pray that You will continue to thwart the plans of the enemy against America.
· "Because you have made the Lord, who is my refuge, even the Most High, your dwelling place, No evil shall befall you . . . " (Psalm 91:9,10a)
4. Russia Lays Claim to Oil-Rich Arctic - Fox News
Russia triggered a fresh scramble for the oil wealth of the Arctic today, after President Dmitri Medvedev called on security chiefs to establish a formal border in the region.
· Father, in the Name of Jesus, we ask that You will protect the Arctic regions from armed conflict. We pray that You will find a way for us to obtain the resources we need from Alaska and other regions, and prevent Russia from prospering in this plan to formalize their "claim."
· "For evildoers shall be cut off; but those who wait on the Lord, they shall inherit the earth." (Psalm 37:9)
5. President Bush Hosts Iftaar Dinner To Recognize Contributions Of Muslim Americans - Whitehousecommunications.com
"This was the president's eighth Iftaar dinner in eight years at the White House. Mr. Bush gave thanks for the many ways that Muslim Americans enrich the lives of all Americans."
· Father, as we work to bring love and freedom among all Americans, we do ask for wisdom for our President, both now and in the administration to come. We plead the Blood of Jesus over the White House and all governmental buildings, and ask Your Holy Presence to touch hearts and minds for Your Kingdom.
· "For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved." (John 3:17)
6. Biden: Wealthy Americans Must Pay more Taxes to Show Patriotism - AP
Democratic vice presidential candidate Joe Biden, said Thursday, that paying more in taxes is the patriotic thing to do for wealthier Americans.
· Lord, we thank You for a clear delineation between candidates, so that clear choices can be made. We ask for Your mercy over America's people.
· "I trust in the mercy of God forever and ever." (Psalm 52:8b)
The Middle East in Focus
The Middle East in Focus This week, for all the headlines cited below, please join us in proclaiming THIS DECREE: "Ah, Lord GOD! Behold, You have made the heavens and the earth by Your great power and outstretched arm. There is nothing too hard for You." (Jeremiah 32:17)
1. Livni wins Kadima primaries by narrow margin - Ynet News
The exit polls may have awarded Tzipi Livni with a clear-cut victory over rival Shaul Mofaz in the Kadima primary elections -- but the picture seemed quite different after midnight Thursday as both camps geared for an unforeseen twist in the results.
2. Evangelicals call on Jews to assert Jesus gospel - Ynet News
A formal decree drafted by the World Evangelical Alliance's (WEA) Theology Commission, during a Berlin conference held in August, has world Jewish communities up in arms: The decree, which explores "Jesus individuality and Jewish evangelism," is meant, according to the WEA, to find ways in which Christians can profess their true love for the Jewish people, especially those residing in Europe.
3. Bush pressured on 'bunker-buster' bombs but opposes Israeli strike on Iran - World Tribune
President George Bush was pressured by key members of Congress to approve an Israeli request for bunker-busting air bombs.
For all the headlines below, we thank God for the promise of His Word: "O God, the proud have risen against me, And a mob of violent men have sought my life, And have not set You before them. But You, O Lord, are a God full of compassion, and gracious, Longsuffering and abundant in mercy and truth. Oh, turn to me, and have mercy on me!Give Your strength to Your servant, And save the son of Your maidservant.Show me a sign for good,That those who hate me may see it and be ashamed, Because You, LORD, have helped me and comforted me." (Psalm 86:14-17)
Prayer Point for the Week:
Pray that the Lord would defeat those who have no regard for Him in this election.
1. Anti-Iran Protesters Snub Palin - Fox News
Palin disinvited from rally to protest Iranian president after Hillary Clinton pulls out to avoid being seen with her.
2. Investigators: Palin E-mail Hacker Targeted Family, Too - Fox News
It looks like Sarah Palin wasn't the only target of an online hacker. Law enforcement officials are investigating claims that the private e-mail accounts of the Republican vice presidential candidate's family and staff were also compromised. "Yesterday, the Department received a referral alleging that the personal e-mail accounts of Gov. Sarah Palin, her staff, and her family had been unlawfully hacked. The Department is reviewing the matter," Justice Department spokeswoman Laura Sweeney said on Thursday.
3. President Clinton calls Palin "effective candidate" - Fox News
President Bill Clinton lavished some praise on Sarah Palin today, calling her an "instinctively effective candidate" who cannot be underestimated. During an interview with CNBC that aired Thursday, the former president repeated that he supports the Obama-Biden ticket and disagrees with McCain-Palin on many issues, but was still extremely complimentary of the Alaska Governor.
4. Obama Says McCain Has Economic Identity Crisis - Fox News
ESPANOLA, NM - The Democratic candidate for president dropped by Espanola, New Mexico, Thursday to speak to some 9,500 people gathered in the town's plaza. Not Barack Obama's biggest rally, but impressive considering Espanola, according to its website, is home to 10,000. There Obama continued his now four-day economic assault on John McCain - which is apparently working for the Dem, who is once again ahead in the daily Gallup track.
Update: Obama's Citizenship Case
Case Moves Forward Demanding Obama Prove Citizenship
Denied--The request for a Temporary Restraining Order suspending the presidential campaign of B. Hussein Obama pending proof that Obama is a natural born American citizen and is eligible to hold the office of President of the United States. Federal judge R. Barclay Surrick denied the motion the day after it was filed, but Philadelphia attorney Phillip Berg, former Pennsylvania deputy attorney general and Montgomery County Democratic Party chairman, is keeping the case alive.
Berg filed on September 4th legal documents requesting expedited discovery on the suit. The documents say that Obama and Democratic National Committee Chairman Howard Dean must submit to deposition by September 30th.
Berg alleges that Obama is not a natural born citizen and that he must provide proof of his citizenship. The legal document orders Obama to turn over by September 22 certain documents that include: a genuine certified copy of Obama's "vault" version of his birth certificate; any and all registrations of birth, including but not limited to Canada, Kenya, the British Isles and the United States in the names of Barack Hussein Obama, Barry Soetoro, Barack Soetoro, Barry Obama, Barack Hussein Mohammed Obama, Barry Dunham and Barack Dunham; a certified copy of the US Oath of Allegiance that was required to be taken to regain any US citizenship status; any and all passport records; and any and all adoption records.
According to Tony Snesko, owner of Same Day Process Service, Indira Henard, Obama's authorized agent, was served and received the court documents at 1:00 pm on September 4th at 713 Hart Senate Office Building on behalf of Berg who filed the suit in the US District Court of Pennsylvania. According to sources involved with the case, a hearing will be set whether to actually allow the lawsuit to go forward. The discovery information requested can be used as part of that decision. One source told the Daily Jot that Obama's people are currently working on the requested information.
The question remains whether the judge presiding over this case will allow it to go forward or dismiss it. Certainly, Obama's and the Democratic National Committee's lawyers will move for dismissal. But will the American people ever know whether Obama is a natural born US citizen? It seems like a simple thing to dispel by just providing proof of where, when and to whom Obama was born. But for some reason this simple action is being withheld from the public. Could it be because it is so ludicrous that it shouldn't be considered or is it because someone is hiding something? Jesus said in John 8:32, "You shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." This is an issue where truth has a bearing on freedom.
Word of Life Ministry