February 4 - 8, 2008
The LORD is nigh unto all that call upon him, to all that call upon him in truth. (Psalm 145:18)
On Capitol Hill This Week; Vol. XIV, No. 2
1. STATE OF THE UNION: BUSH AGENDA RICH IN VALUES
An energized President Bush addressed both houses of Congress on Monday night in his final State of the Union address. The economy, immigration and the war on terror were prominent in his speech, but there was a lot for family advocates to take note of, as well.
Still high on the president's priority list is ethical stem- cell research. "I call on Congress to pass legislation that bans unethical practices such as the buying, selling, patenting or cloning of human life," Bush said.
The president also signaled he's spoiling for a fight on judicial nominees. "I've submitted judicial nominees who will rule by the letter of the law, not the whim of the gavel," he said. "Many of these nominees are being unfairly delayed; they are worthy of confirmation, and the Senate should give each of them a prompt up-or-down vote."
Bush hailed the success of his Faith-Based and Community Initiatives, and challenged Congress to make the office permanent. "What we'd like to do is pass legislation that would ensure permanence," said Jay Hein, director of the White House program. "It will be stronger and more sustainable if it's in legislation."
To read the text of the President's State of the Union address, go here.
(Source: (Intercessors for America)
· Offer praise that our Lord has placed a man in the Oval Office who values life, and has now done so throughout two terms of office. May our President take note that THIS is the legacy America will remember, in the years ahead.
· "Therefore, choose life, that you and your seed may live." (Dt. 30:19)
2. SENATE DEMOCRATS STALLING BIPARTISAN ECONOMIC STIMULUS PACKAGE
This week the Senate Finance Committee led by liberal Democrat Senators began putting obstacles in the way of bipartisan legislation sponsored by Democrat Speaker of the House of Representatives Nancy Pelosi (CA,) and House Republican Leader John Boehner (OH,) -- wholeheartedly supported by President George W. Bush and the Senate Republican Leader, Mitch McConnell (KY) -- which will return some $150 billion to 117 American families and small businesses. Yesterday, the Senate Finance Committee agreed to a bloated liberal Democrat stimulus package by a vote of 14-7. The U.S. House of Representatives passed the Bush/Pelosi/Boehner bipartisan economic package last week by a whopping 385-35.
Senator McConnell said, "The fact that there were 10 provisions added to the Baucus proposal before it was even considered in committee, coupled with three more amendments added in the committee, only reinforces my view that the way to prevent more delay in the effort to boost the economy is to pass the bipartisan House-passed bill and quickly send it to the President for his signature. The Baucus proposal has become yet another Christmas tree and will only grow and slow down when it reaches the Senate floor. We need to act now, and the way to do that is the bipartisan the bill that passed the House by an overwhelming, bipartisan margin."
This week the Bush Administration put out a statement: "The Administration strongly supports House passage of H.R. 5140, the bipartisan economic growth compromise, without amendment. This legislation meets the criteria set out by the Administration that an economic growth package be large enough to make a difference, immediate in its impact, broad-based, temporary, and based on tax relief rather than government spending programs. The Administration commends the House for taking swift, decisive bipartisan action to improve the Nation's near-term economic outlook."
· Offer prayer for a breakthrough in the Senate, so that this badly needed package can pass.
· "Is not my word like fire," declares the LORD, "and like a hammer that breaks a rock in pieces?" (Jer. 23:29)
3. S. 1780: PROTECTING CHILDREN FROM INDECENT PROGRAMMING ACT
This bill is desperately needed to help restore parents' ability to provide wholesome entertainment without indecent material invading their living room through the TV while their children are watching. During a recent interview on Good Morning America, actress Diane Keaton used the "f-word" at 8:00 in the morning. It is simply unacceptable to use this type of language on television, particularly at a time when millions of parents and children will be in the viewing audience.
The stakes on this issue could not be any clearer. If this legislation is not passed, the broadcast decency bill we all worked so hard to pass last year will have been for naught. Activist judges have nit-picked that law. This bill makes clear that the FCC can penalize single instances of indecency - yet Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nevada) will not bring this bill to the Senate floor for a vote!
How can we get his attention? Everyone calling their legislators on a designated day!
Please call your Senators at 202-224-3121 on Tuesday, February 5, and urge them to ask Senators Reid and Mitch McConnell (R-Kentucky) to bring S. 1780 to a vote. (Concerned Women for America)
· "Thy people shall volunteer freely in the day of Thy power." (Psalm 110:3 NAS)
4. CLONING, EMBRYONIC STEM CELL RESEARCH
The recent news that scientists have produced embryonic-like stem cells from skin cells - without killing embryos to produce them, was followed by news last week that a cloned human embryo was produced from a scientist's own skin cells. Oddly, says FRC's Senior Fellow for Life Sciences, Dr. David Prentice, "scientists probably are responsible for the media downplaying this unbelievable news." To accomplish this, female donors were hormonally stimulated to harvest dozens of immature human eggs from which 6-12 were used in the experiments. The results? No Embryonic stem cells were produced and all the embryos were destroyed. This unethical, inefficient, "non-therapeutic" cloning "instrumentalizes" human life, says Prentice. It increases the risk that someone will use the technique to bring clones to birth and increases risk to women's health (lots of eggs required). This kind of "research" has no benefit for patients and is useless compared to adult stem cell research which has produced scores of therapies that are helping thousands of patients right now. Also now, adult stem cells programmed to behave like embryonic stem cells can do everything that embryonic stem cells can, but are efficient, easy, cheap, and fundable. The good thing about this cloning event is that it could revive congressional debate over Sens. Sam Brownback (R- KS) and Mary Landrieu's (D-LA) bill to outlaw human cloning vs. Sen. Orin Hatch's bill to "protect" the practice.
· May Congress revive the cloning debate and may the American people, through their elected representatives, say "NO!" to all human cloning! May the truth about successful adult stem cell therapies, so obviously blessed by God, become common knowledge in America! May the failure of embryonic stem cell research, the tumors such research produced, the high cost in human life and disdain for human dignity and ethics that accompany it, similarly be understood in America and around the world!
· "Whosoever transgresseth and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that abides in the doctrine of Christ, he has both the Father and the Son." (11 John 1:9,10)
5. GAY ACTIVISTS WORK TO REPEAL "DON'T ASK, DON'T TELL"
Homosexual activists are engaged in a push to repeal the military's "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy. In December, activists set up an exhibit of 12,000 American Flags on the National Mall to commemorate the 12,000 homosexual service members dismissed since "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" was instituted. A recent '60 Minutes' TV program featured the effort, saying "more and more [military] commands are appreciating their lesbian and gay service members -- and retaining them despite the ban on their service. That sends a clear signal to Congress...the time has come to repeal the law." Congress rejected the pro- homosexual Hate Crimes bill as a rider to the Defense Authorization Bill, but Sen. Ted Kennedy (D- MA) promises to raise the bill again this year. The pro- homosexual ENDA will also be on the agenda this year .
· Continue to pray that the American people will truly understand the consequences of open homosexuality in the military, ENDA and Hate Crimes and that their representatives in Washington will firmly reject all three. May the next president be someone who will veto any and all of these measures!
· "And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them. For it is a shame even to speak of those things which are done of them in secret. But all things that are reproved are made light: for whatsoever doth make manifest is light." (Eph. 5:11-13)
6. NEXT: SUPER TUESDAY
Florida's January 29 Primary election promises to be a close, four way race among Republicans and a face off between the two front running Democrats. While Florida is key to identifying the leaders from both parties, "Super-Duper Tuesday" will be the watershed for the campaigns that have survived so far. On that day, February 5th, 24 states will conduct elections or caucuses. Remember, primary voters will vote, not just for President, but for nearly every elected public office, federal, state and local, from president to dog- catcher. FRCAction's new, non-partisan Presidential Voter's Guide is now available online for download, and will help you pray over the candidates. (FRC Prayer Targets)
· May God raise up a praying army to impact the outcome of these elections for His purposes, honor and glory. Let us thank God for intervening in past elections and pray He will do it again! May God fearing men and women be elected in these primaries! May voters find a slate of candidates in November whose service will be pleasing to God and who will draw us closer to Him as a nation!
· [This prayer request was sent in by a believer in Egypt. We reprint this now, as it was given to us.]
I can feel the enemy trying to go through the system in the States to deviate it from within for his purposes. I can see it clear through all the lies that are released during the speeches. I can sense the darkness in many of the interviews that happened. I pray for awakening for the Americans, otherwise it would be too late. It needs prophetic intercession to say in authority "No For All the plans of the enemy". Under the cover of His Blood we pray for "His Will To Be Done."
Super-Tuesday is a very important day where 24 states, including the influential ones will give their voice on who will be the candidate on both sides. It's an important step in the presidential race. I feel a warning & I pray for the release of intercessors who take it seriously praying for that election starting with the Super-Tuesday.
· "The effectual, fervent prayers of a righteous man availeth much." (James 5:16)
7. RESOLUTION IN UTAH FIGHTS NORTH AMERICAN UNION
URGES U.S. TO WITHDRAW FROM SECURITY AND PROSPERITY PARTNERSHIP
A state lawmaker in Utah has introduced a resolution encouraging the U.S. to withdraw from the Security and Prosperity Partnership of North America and any other bilateral activity that would move the country toward an EU-style continental merger.
Republican state Rep. Stephen Sandstrom introduced House Resolution 1 to the Utah legislature this week after a similar measure passed the House last year by a 47-24 vote but was blocked by a Senate committee just before the session's close. The resolution reads in part: "The gradual creation of such a North American Union from a merger of the United States, Mexico and Canada would be a direct threat to the United States Constitution and the national independence of the United States and would imply an eventual end to national borders within North America."
According to tabulation on StopTheNau.org, 13 states have now passed similar resolutions opposing the SPP and the movement toward a future North American Union. Utah is among six states considering a resolution against the SPP. Rep. Virgil Goode (R-VA) has introduced into the U.S. House of Representatives a resolution expressing congressional opposition to construction of a NAFTA super highway system or entry into a North American Union with Mexico and Canada. (WorldNetDaily) (Read more.)
· Please pray that all states will join in this opposition to the NAU and the superhighway planned to cross the USA from Mexico to Canada. God gave us this country, and it is not ours to give away or to be used to fill the pockets and ambitions of powerful men. The Lord is the uniter and healer of our nation, not politicians. Pray for all the legislators, whether state or federal, who see the danger of the NAU and have the courage to stop its growth.
· "Have we not one Father? Hath not one God created us? Why do we deal treacherously every man against his brother, by profaning the covenant of our fathers?" (Malachi 2:10)
8. IRAQ READY FOR "FINAL" BATTLE WITH AL QAEDA
Iraqi security forces have begun a "decisive" final offensive against al Qaeda in Iraq to push the Sunni Islamist militants out of their last major stronghold in the north, Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki said last Friday. U.S. military commanders say al Qaeda, blamed for most big bombings in Iraq, has regrouped in the northern provinces after being squeezed out of western Anbar province and from around Baghdad during security crackdowns last year. They describe Mosul, capital of Nineveh province, as al Qaeda's last major urban stronghold in Iraq. (Reuters 1/25/08)
· Intercede for all troops deployed and for their families - for protection, good health and morale. Pray that wisdom and strategy be granted to U.S. commanders in Iraq. Intercede for Iraqi President Jalal Talabani (Kurdish), Prime Minister Nouri al- Maliki (Shiite Muslim), the Parliament, and all officials- that a form of good government that is representative of all Iraqi socio-religious ethnic groups be established and maintained. Intercede for all Christians and churches in Iraq.
· "[pray] . . . 2for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness." (1 Tim 2:2) [Prayer offered by Intercessors for America]
9. 200 KENYAN CHILDREN PRAY FOR THEIR COUNTRY WITH MIRACULOUS RESULTS
In the latest edition of Missions Catalyst, Sue Sprenkle, an overseas correspondent for the International Mission Board, who has been reporting from Africa for 10 years describes a scene inside the small, tin shack of a Baptist church filled with children. "After three weeks of post-election violence, it's good to hear the sounds of children laughing and playing-especially in the hard-hit slums of Nairobi," she says. "My heart overflows with emotion as I hear a sound even more precious than laughter-a child's sweet, innocent prayer."
For the last two weeks, Sprenkle says, children in this small slum area have gathered to pray for their country. "The church's pastor says the children started gathering on their own, so he let them in the church. The daily prayer meeting now attracts more than 200 children ranging in age from three to 17."
Ever since the children started praying together, the pastor says there have been no deaths, houses burned or even violence in their section of this slum. Adults recite this fact in amazement. The children, however, don't even mention it because it's exactly what they expected to happen. (Assist News)
· Father, we thank you for the prayers of the children in this Kenyan village. We thank you for revealing to us how precious they are to You, and we thank You for not only hearing, but answering their prayers. We pray that You would look at their innocence and grant their requests for peace, protection, love, and an end to the violence. You are good to honor the statement of the little girl that said "See," seven-year-old Natasha whistles through her missing two front teeth, "God answers prayers."
· "Assuredly, I say to you, unless you . . . become as little children, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven. Therefore whoever humbles himself as this little child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven." (Matthew 18:3-4)
10. BARAK OBAMA SUPPORTS PALESTINIAN STATE CUTTING ISRAEL IN HALF
Democratic Presidential candidate Barak Obama said he supported the division of Israel into at least two parts by a Palestinian state. The stunning comment came as Obama struggled to articulate his stance on key Mideast issues in dispute. "The right of return [to Israel] is something that is not an option in a literal sense," Obama said, but then went on to say that "The Palestinians have a legitimate concern that a state have a contiguous coherent mass that would allow the state to function effectively."
A land corridor between Gaza and the West Bank would effectively cut Israel in half, making it incoherent and non-contiguous, divided into northern and southern portions by the Palestinian land-mass Obama supports. The Democratic candidate didn't explain why it was legitimate for the Palestinians to have a coherent and contiguous territory at Israel's expense.
Regarding Iran, he saw no harm in engaging in talks with the Iranian regime. " We are not looking to impede Iran's legitimate national aspirations, but they have to change their behavior." Iranian national aspirations, as articulated by President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, include wiping Israel off the face of the earth. He did not say what he would do if the Iranians did not change their behavior and continued to work for Israel's eradication. (Israel Insider 1/29/08) [Reported by: Intercessors for America]
· Offer praise to the Lord that various candidates' views on Israeli policy are coming to light at this time. PRAY FOR THE AMERICAN PEOPLE -- THAT THEY BE GIVEN THE WISDOM TO SUPPORT CANDIDATES WHO WILL NOT DIVIDE THE LAND. And if none has appeared yet with that intention, pray he or she will appear soon!
· I will gather all nations and bring them down to the Valley of Jehoshaphat. There I will enter into judgment against them concerning my inheritance, my people Israel, for they scattered my people among the nations and divided up my land. (Joel 3:2)
11. WINOGRAD NOTES LEBANON WAR FAILURES BUT ABSOLVES OLMERT
Providing material for both sides of the political aisle the evening of January 30, the Winograd Commission's final report on the handling of the second Lebanon War avoided, as expected, any personal recommendations, and ultimately absolved Prime Minister Ehud Olmert from improper motives regarding the ground attack in the final hours of the conflict. The situation sets up a crucial waiting period as Labor party leader Ehud Barak decides whether or not to pull out of the government and force new elections. Although the report was not condemning, it did call the war a "serious missed opportunity" and portrayed Israel as failing to take advantage of a situation in which they were clearly superior militarily. In addition, the political echelon was cited repeatedly along with the military for strategic and planning mistakes.
Meanwhile, apparently drawing on the repeated statements of failure for both the military and political echelons, including the government's failing to define Israel's overall strategy in the conflict or an exit strategy, the opposition Likud party said in a statement that Olmert must take personal responsibility and resign, and Barak must keep his campaign promise to quit the government. "If the defense minister searched for an excuse in the report not to resign, he did not find one," said the Likud statement. (By Joshua Spurlock, BFP Israel Mosaic Radio, January 31, 2008; edited)
· Pray that the current volatility within the Israeli government will lead to accountability and responsibility by elected officials. Pray that this present debate will provide the wisdom and honesty needed in those who govern the people.
· "And if it seems evil to you to serve the LORD, choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the River, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you dwell. But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD." (Joshua 24:15)
12. ISRAEL SUSPECTS IRAN HAS CLANDESTINE URANIUM ENRICHMENT PROGRAM
Iran is not threatening Israel and does not want nuclear weapons, Iranian Foreign Minister Manouchehr Mottaki said January 26. Speaking to Israel Radio on the sidelines of the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, Iranian Foreign Minister Manoucheher Mottaki said that it was Israel that possessed nuclear weapons and are "threatening Teheran." Iran, said Mottaki did not recognize two countries South Africa and Israel. However with the end of apartheid in South Africa the problem was solved and in Israel's case there is no reason why relations cannot change when it changes its policy he said.
Meanwhile, in an interview to the Washington Post published Saturday, Defense Minister Ehud Barak said Israel believes Iran has a clandestine uranium enrichment program beyond the one in Natanz and suspects that it is already working on warheads for ground-to-ground missiles. Barak said Israel believes "the Iranians are aiming at nuclear capability," even though "they may have slowed down the weapons [development] in 2003, because it was at the height of the American military campaign [in Iraq]."
Barak also spoke of the fledgling Middle East peace process, saying Israel was willing to reach an accord but was not sure of the Palestinian Authority's ability to implement one. "There has never been a shortage of goodwill on Israel's side. [PA President Mahmoud Abbas [Abu Mazen] and Prime Minister Salaam Fayad] are both willing and ready, but there is a great question mark as to whether they are able. They control only half of their people," he said. (By Staff, Infolive.tv, January 26, 2008; edited)
· Pray that the world leaders will not be duped into allowing the Iranian nuclear project to continue despite the many warnings of their continued activities in that direction.
· "Hear my voice, O God, in my meditation; preserve my life from fear of the enemy." (Psalm 64:1).
13. BUSH ANNOUNCES PLO STATE IN '08
President Bush, in his State of the Union address on Monday night, announced his plan to have a PLO State by the end '08. This new state would take Judea and Samaria from Israel and proclaim East Jerusalem as its new capital, the home to all Christian holy sites.
There have been over 20,000 attempted terrorist attacks by the PLO. The State Department is already in Jerusalem pushing forward the Road Map to Peace plan. U.S. Lt.-Gen. William Fraser, the new Road Map implementation monitor, arrived Sunday for an intensive round of meetings with both Israeli and Palestinian leaders. His goal is to push Israel further into implementation this peace plan.
This is a battle between lightness and darkness, between politics and prophecy. 128,000 votes have already been cast. Our present goal is 200,000 on our way to a million. We are asking everyone to pray and get one friend to sign the petition. If you do so, we can reach 200,000.
(Jerusalem Prayer Team)
· When all hope was lost, Moses stood alone in the gap between the sins of his people and a holy God. May we each be like Moses and, having done all, stand.
· "Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do."(Luke 23:34)
In Memorium: Ray Bringham
Ray Bringham: Long Time Prayer Warrior in God's Presence!
Capitol Hill Prayer Partners has received word of the passing into glory of our brother, Ray Bringham. Ray lived a long life. It was a life devoted to the Lord and to mobilizing prayer on behalf of the Kingdom of God . He had a passion to see revival and especially for the latter part of his life, he led the Lord's people into times of deep repentance. Please keep his family in your prayers as they deal with this loss in their lives.
· Join us now in offering a prayer for the family, and in thanking the Lord for the gift of the life of Ray Bringham. WONDERFUL (Pehleh) How thankful I am for the "wonder" of You -- the "extraordinariness" of You! Your ways are higher than mine; how wonderful You are. May I live today with the inner assurance taht the Wonderful God loves me. In Judah, God is known; His name is great in Israel. (Psalm 76:1) (Taken from: Intimate Moments with the Hebrew Names of God, by Barri Cae Malin and Shmuel Wolkenfeld; Bridge-Logos Publishers; Gainesville, FL, 32614. ISBN: 0-88270-801-5)
· "Blessed are those that mourn, for they shall be comforted." (Mark 5:4)
This Week, Worship Our Lord As . . .
"For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given, and the government shall rest upon his shoulder. And he will be called Wonderful . . ." (Isaiah 9:6)
On Capitol Hill This Week (the "OCAP") is published by Capitol Hill Prayer Partners. All scriptures are quoted from the King James Version of the Bible, unless otherwise noted. For further information about legislative matters on Capitol Hill, you may call the Capitol switchboard at 202-224-3121 and ask to be connected to the representative or senator of your choice.
Permission is granted to distribute this bulletin at will. HOWEVER, WE ASK THAT YOU NOT POST ANY OF OUR PUBLICATIONS ON ANY WEBSITE WITHOUT PERMISSION. Please cite Capitol Hill Prayer Partners as the source for this information. Thank you for praying with us for our leaders and our nation.
How thankful I am for the "wonder" of You -- the "extraordinariness" of You! Your ways are higher than mine; how wonderful You are. May I live today with the inner assurance taht the Wonderful God loves me.
In Judah, God is known; His name is great in Israel. (Psalm 76:1)
(Taken from: Intimate Moments with the Hebrew Names of God, by Barri Cae Malin and Shmuel Wolkenfeld; Bridge-Logos Publishers; Gainesville, FL, 32614. ISBN: 0-88270-801-5)