Today's Daily Brief
1. Christian Leader James Dobson Endorses Huckabee for GOP Nod - Fox News
James Dobson, one of the nation's most prominent evangelical Christian leaders, backed Mike Huckabee's presidential bid Thursday night, giving the former Arkansas governor a long-sought endorsement as the Republican field narrowed to a two-man race. In a statement first obtained by The Associated Press, Dobson reiterated his declaration on Super Tuesday that he could not in good conscience vote for John McCain, the front-runner, because of concerns over the Arizona senator's conservative credentials.
· Offer praise for the integrity of Dr. James Dobson, who has "held fast" to traditional values in this week's furious public debate. Offer a prayer that, when all is said and done, the Republican Party WILL reflect those values as they choose their candidate to run for the presidency.
· The effectual, fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much. (James 5:16)
2. Bush: Keep the White House Right - Fox News
Without mentioning McCain by name, Bush rallies GOP's right flank for upcoming battle against Democratic Party.
· Continue in prayer as offered above, that the Republican party will reflect traditional values as they choose their candidate to run for the presidency.
· He shall call upon me, and I will answer him: I will be with him in trouble . . . (Ps. 91:15)
3. Tennessee governor on tornadoes: 'The wrath of God...' - New York Times News Service
President Bush to Visit Today
"The wrath of God is the only way I can describe it," Gov. Phil Bredesen of Tennessee said after surveying the damage by helicopter. "I'm used to seeing roofs off houses; houses blown over. These houses were down to their foundations, stripped clean." The governor said 1,000 houses in Tennessee were destroyed. President Bush announced he would head to the state on Friday to view the damage.
Commenting on the storms, Renee Preslar, the public education coordinator for the Arkansas Division of Emergency Management, stated: "Normally, tornadoes touch down and they're on the ground for twenty minutes and they pop back up. There's no signs yet of this having ever come off the ground."
· Lord, You work great things in the midst of trials. You are our refuge and strength and a very present help in trouble. We come boldly to Your throne of grace to help in time of need. We pray for Your comfort and love to pour over those affected by the tornadoes. Thank You for the wisdom and compassion of President Bush in helping to comfort and meet the needs on a federal level.
· Be merciful unto me, O God, be merciful unto me: for my soul trusteth in thee: yea, in the shadow of thy wings will I make my refuge, until these calamities be overpast. I will cry unto God most high; unto God that performeth all things for me. He shall send from heaven, and save me from the reproach of them that would swallow me up. Selah. God shall send forth his mercy and his truth. ( Ps. 57:1-3)
4. Carnage at City Hall in Kirkwood, MO - Fox News
Gunman kills five in shooting rampage directed at Kirkwood, Mo., mayor, who remains critical.
· Please pray for the residents of Kirkwood, MO and the surrounding St. Louis area. Please pray that this murderous spirit, which has been unleashed upon our country, will be quelled!
· "Comfort ye, comfort ye, My people." (Is. 40:1)
5. "Euros Accepted" signs pop up in New York City - Reuters
In the latest example that the U.S. dollar just ain't what it used to be, some shops in New York City have begun accepting euros and other foreign currency as payment for merchandise. "We had decided that money is money and we'll take it and just do the exchange whenever we can with our bank," Robert Chu, owner of East Village Wines, told Reuters television. The increasingly weak U.S. dollar, once considered the king among currencies, has brought waves of European tourists to New York with money to burn and looking to take advantage of hugely favorable exchange rates.
· Possessor of heaven and earth, we pray for a shift in our nation to turn our trust in You instead of riches. We declare, "It is the Lord our God that gives us the power to get wealth". For You bless the righteous with favor and will not withhold any good thing from those that walk uprightly.
· Charge them that are rich in this world, that they be not highminded, nor trust in uncertain riches, but in the living God, who giveth us richly all things to enjoy; That they do good, that they be rich in good works ready to distribute, willing to communicate; Laying up in store for themselves a good foundation against the time to come, that they may lay hold on eternal life. ( l Tim.6:17-19)
6. Anglican leader's sharia comment sparks row in Britain - AFP
The religious head of the Anglican church sparked an angry row Friday after saying the adoption of some parts of sharia law in Britain "seems unavoidable."
· Lord, we ask that you give Rowan Williams a desire to live in obedience to Your laws and Your ways. Uproot any compromise he willingly has given place to. Show him Your ways, O Lord, teach him Your paths. Lead him in Your truth, for You are the God of his salvation.
· My son, forget not my law; but let thine heart keep my commandments: For length of days, and long life, and peace, shall they add to thee. Let not mercy and truth forsake thee: bind them about thy neck; write them upon the table of thine heart: So shalt thou find favour and good understanding in the sight of God and man. (Prov. 3:1-4)
7. 'Video shows al-Qa'eda training children' - Telegraph UK
Al-Qa'eda in Iraq is apparently training children as young as nine to kill and kidnap, the American military claimed today, as it released videos as evidence.They showed boys, estimated to be as young as nine, in balaclava masks and football jerseys training with pistols and AK47s.
· Lord, in Your precious name, we pray for this abuse to end. Release the children from such violent training. We continue to ask for a victory in the war on terror. We need Your wisdom, help and strength to put an end to such extreme behavior. Open the window of opportunity for the gospel of Jesus Christ to bring healing and blessings.
· Do not provoke your children to wrath, but bring them up in the training and admonition of the Lord.(Eph. 6:4,NKJV)
Watch: The suspected al-Qa'eda training video.
The Middle East in Focus
This week, for all the headlines cited below, please join us in proclaiming THIS DECREE:
"I love you, O Lord, my strength. The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge. He is my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold." (Psalm 18:1-2)
1. Fayyad: No chance for peace in 08' - Ynet News
Palestinian Prime Minister Salam Fayyad said on Thursday a lasting peace accord with Israel was unlikely in 2008 despite renewed diplomatic efforts to resolve the long-running conflict.
2. US: Israel should not 'worsen' Gaza humanitarian crisis - Ynet News
The United States on Thursday urged Israel not to exacerbate the humanitarian situation in the Gaza Strip, where Israel has scaled down its energy supply as it pursues rocket launchers in the territory.
3. Qassams hit Negev despite power cut meant to halt rockets - Ha'aretz
Palestinian militants launched nine rockets and a mortar shell at Israel on Friday morning, the Israel Defense Forces said, a day after Israel began cutting electricity to the Gaza Strip in an attempt to halt the barrages.
4. Report: Long-range missiles smuggled into Gaza - Ynet News
Palestinian operatives confirmed Thursday that many advanced weapons have been smuggled into the Gaza Strip over the past few weeks and even more so since the border between Gaza and Egyptian Rafah has been breached.
5. '1,000,000 dollars to bring down Olmert' - Jerusalem Post
Unidentified Right-wing figures in the US and Israel are willing to pay big money to anyone who comes up with evidence against Prime Minister Ehud Olmert that will be cause enough for him to step down as prime minister, Channel 2 revealed Thursday.
6. Vatican rejects criticism of new prayer for Jewish conversion - Ha'aretz
The top Vatican cardinal in charge of relations with Jews on Thursday denied that a new prayer for their conversion was offensive and said Catholics had the right to pray as they wish.
Prayers for the Persecuted Church 1. Chad: Convert Loses Family Members for His Faith - Worthy News 2. Pastor attacked and three believers injured and hospitalized - Worthy News 3. Jordan Increases Pressure On Christians; Closing Church - Worthy News
This week, for all the headlines cited below, please join us in proclaiming THIS DECREE:
"But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you." (Mt. 5:44)
A little over a year after becoming a Christian in Ngudungudu, Chad in December 1995, Jeje Nehamiah Baki left the town to meet up with his nomadic family in the wilderness.
A group of 25-30 Hindu fundamentalists attacked Shalom Full Gospel Church in Kumbara Halli village, Hosadurga in Karnataka state around 11am on Sunday, February 3.
Jordan has closed down an evangelical church after expelling many devoted Christians from the country, an influential mission group said Thursday, February 7.
Prayer for the Primaries
Prayers for the Persecuted Church
1. Chad: Convert Loses Family Members for His Faith - Worthy News
2. Pastor attacked and three believers injured and hospitalized - Worthy News
3. Jordan Increases Pressure On Christians; Closing Church - Worthy News
Saturday, February 9
(D) Louisiana Primary
(D) Nebraska Caucus
(D) Washington Caucus
(D) Virgin Islands Other
(R) Kansas Caucus
(R) Louisiana Primary
(R) Washington Caucus
Sunday, February 10
(D) Maine Caucus
Tuesday, February 12th
-- District of Columbia
· Earnestly intercede against media and special interest manipulation during this primary season. Pray that moral, God-fearing, pro-life, pro-marriage, and pro-family men and women be selected, supported, and find favor in local, state, and national campaigns. Intercede that the Lord reveal His choices, expose corruption, immorality, bribery, the occult, and hidden anti-biblical agendas.
(Source: Intercessors for America)
" . . . if two of you on earth agree about anything you ask for, it will be done for you by my Father in heaven." (Matthew 18:19)
For a complete guide to the Republican primaries, go here:
For a complete guide to the Democratic primaries, go here: