Today's Daily Brief
1. Missile shield talks with Poland, Czech on track: U.S. - Reuters
The United States has made good progress in talks with Poland and the Czech Republic over the possible siting of the U.S. missile defense shield and all major issues have been resolved, a U.S. official said.
· Praise the Lord that countries that used to be our enemies under communistic rule now are working with the USA to further protection of the free world. The Lord always expects His people to have prepared a good defense, both spiritual and physical.
· " [The Lord is] My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and He in whom I trust." (Psalm 144:2)
2. US gives IAEA info on Iran nuke program - AP
For the second time in recent weeks, Washington has given the U.N. nuclear watchdog information on what it says were Tehran's attempts to make atomic weapons, but much of it is of doubtful value, diplomats said Thursday.
· Pray that the UN will take notice of Tehran's attempts to build atomic weapons and not allow Iran to escape chastisement under technicalities. Iran is not to be trusted with someone like Ahmadinejad in leadership. Pray that the Lord will reveal exactly what is taking place and the location(s). Pray for the people of Iran who are not in agreement with their leadership, for they are the Lord's children also.
· " There is a generation , whose teeth are as swords, and their jaw teeth as knives, to devour the poor from off the earth, and the needy from among men." (Proverbs 30:14)
3. U.S. defends race record before U.N. watchdog - ABC News
The United States, in the dock at a U.N. forum accused of racial discrimination, said on Thursday it was combating hate crimes such as displays of hangman's nooses as well as police brutality against minorities.
· Please continue to pray against lawlessness in the USA, especially against the sin of racism. However, the idea that some countries that so severely violate civil rights of citizens should call the US on the carpet is outrageous. We are not a perfect people, but we do know how to call upon the Lord for forgiveness and mercy.
· " For He [Jesus] knew that the chief priests had delivered Him for envy." (Mt. 27:10)
4. Vaccine-resistant flu bug found in Canada - Edmonton Sun
The influenza virus has mutated into a strain resistant to an antiviral drug that world governments have been stockpiling for years to stave off a super-flu pandemic.
· Please pray against this super-flu entering the USA. The Lord is able to protect our borders against plagues as well as terrorists. We need spiritual immunity as well as physical, and thus we need to pray ever more fervently for spiritual revival in our nation and in Canada. Man's plans go awry when we do not lean on the Lord.
· "It is better to trust in the Lord than to put confidence in man." (Psalm118:8)
5. Ethanol Boom Threatens West's Water - Newsweek
. . . the green-fuel boom touted as a clean, eco-friendly alternative to gasoline is proving to have its own dirty costs. Growing corn demands lots of water, and, in eastern Colorado, this means intensive irrigation from an already stressed water table, the great Ogallala Aquifer. One sign of trouble: in just the past two decades, farmers tapping into the local aquifers have helped to shorten the North Fork of the Republican River, which starts in Yuma County, by 10 miles. The ethanol boom will only hasten the drop further, say scientist and engineers studying the aquifers.
· Lord when we decide that we have understanding without You, we make huge errors in judgment. We pray that Your wisdom would cover this mistake, and that true understanding and foresight be granted to our leaders.
· "The fear of the Lord is clean, enduring forever: and the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether." (Psalm 19:8)
6. Global Warming? New Data Shows Ice is Back - Newsmax.com The Middle East in Focus 1. EU lawmakers lambast Israel over Gaza - Ynet News 2. State official: Act against Tehran before it's too late- Ynet News 3. Khamenei's advisor: Israel facing 'sure death' - Ynet News 4. Olmert and Rice to hold surprise meeting in Japan - Jerusalem Post
Are the world's ice caps melting because of climate change, or are the reports just a lot of scare mongering by the advocates of the global warming theory? Scare mongering appears to be the case, according to reports from the U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) that reveal that almost all the allegedly "lost" ice has come back. A NOAA report shows that ice levels which had shrunk from 5 million square miles in January 2007 to just 1.5 million square miles in October, are almost back to their original levels.
· Thank You, Lord, that cooler heads are prevailing, and truth is being revealed! We thank You for answering the prayers of Your people! We continue to pray against plans to socialize business and personal freedoms in the name of "protecting the planet".
· "O Lord our Lord, how excellent is thy name in all the earth!" (Psalm 8:9)
This week, for all the headlines cited below, please join us in proclaiming THIS DECREE:
"As the mountains are round about Jerusalem, so LORD is round about His people from henceforth even for ever." (Psalm 125:2)
European Union lawmakers urged Israel on Thursday not to inflict "collective punishment" on Gaza's population, saying its isolation of the territory had failed and its actions were endangering civilians.
Israel will seek to call a session of the United Nations Security Council to demand the tightening of sanctions against Iran - Ynet learned on Thursday. The request to convene the council will be made after the release of an additional report on Tehran's nuclear program authored by International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) Director-General Dr. Mohammad ElBaradei.
A senior Iranian advisor, serving as the military advisor of Iran's spiritual leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, stated Thursday that Israel was facing "sure death" over its responsibility for the assassination of Hizbullah commander Imad Mugniyah in Damascus.
Prime Minister Ehud Olmert and US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice will hold a surprise meeting during their two respective state visits to Japan next week, it was announced Friday, even though Rice is scheduled to travel to Israel the following week.
The Middle East in Focus
1. EU lawmakers lambast Israel over Gaza - Ynet News
2. State official: Act against Tehran before it's too late- Ynet News
3. Khamenei's advisor: Israel facing 'sure death' - Ynet News
4. Olmert and Rice to hold surprise meeting in Japan - Jerusalem Post