1. Are We Winning The War? - Washington Times and USA Today
No one is declaring victory, but cautious optimists on the U.S.-led war in Iraq suddenly find themselves armed with a growing number of indicators that the fighting has taken a new, more hopeful turn. U.S. military fatalities are down sharply, from 101 in June to 39 in October. Iraqi civilian deaths also were down sharply, from 1,791 in August to 750 in October, according to the Associated Press. Mortar rocket attacks by insurgents in October were the lowest since February 2006, as were the number of "indirect fire" attacks on coalition forces. Despite this optimistic news, Justice Department investigators have reopened an inquiry into the legality of the government's warrantless eavesdropping program.
· Commander of the Heavenly Host, we beseech You to grant favor to our Commander-in-Chief, Congressional members and military leaders who listen to You and ask You for help with the war on terror. We also ask for forgiveness for those who don't. Please continue to provide resources to those who are on the front lines defending our nation and Israel from their enemies. May the truth be known about the war's successes and that they are due to Your intervention!
· "If the ax is dull, and one does not sharpen the edge, then he must use more strength; but wisdom brings success." (Ecclesiastes 10:10 NKJV)
2. GOP Split On Repeal Of Real ID - Washington Times
Congressional Republicans are scrambling to defuse the political time bomb they created in 2005 when they allowed states to issue driver's licenses to illegal aliens -- but a key Republican and author of the Real ID Act says their new bill is unconstitutional. "Driver's licenses are issued by the states, not the federal government. I do not believe it is constitutional for the federal government to tell the states who they can issue driver's licenses to and who they can't issue driver's licenses to," said Rep. F. James Sensenbrenner Jr., the Wisconsin Republican who wrote the 2005 law and its provision allowing states the option of giving licenses to illegal aliens.
New York Gov. Eliot Spitzer, a first-term Democrat, put the issue on the national stage six weeks ago when he said New York would become the ninth state to issue licenses to illegal aliens. Today Mr. Spitzer will drop that plan, the Associated Press reported last night, and some Democratic lawmakers predicted other states that issue licenses to illegal aliens will follow suit.
· Our Father, please protect us from expedient elected officials who seek to be re-elected by using questionable means to "get-out-the-vote" for themselves. May party and self-serving interests be put on the back burner in the war on terror, and may Your Wisdom be sought to determine who deserves driver's licenses. May America be saved from fools.
· "See then that you walk circumspectly, not as fools but as wise, redeeming the time, because the days are evil." (Ephesians 5: 15-16 NKJV)
3. U.S. Plans New Space Weapons Against China - London Telegraph
The Pentagon is spending billions of dollars on new forms of space warfare to counter the growing risk of missile attack from rogue states and the "satellite killer" capabilities of China. Congress has allocated funds to develop futuristic weapons and intelligence systems that operate beyond the Earth's atmosphere as America looks past Iraq and Afghanistan to the wars of the future.
The most ambitious project in a new $459 billion (£221.5 billion) defense spending Bill is the Falcon, a reusable "hypersonic vehicle" that could fly at six times the speed of sound and deliver 12,000 lb. of bombs anywhere in the world within minutes.
· Thank You, Lord for giving former President Reagan wisdom to develop the SDI Defense Initiative, or the "Star Wars" defense program more than 25 years ago today. It proved the foundation for this new technology, May our nation's leaders and scientist involved in these defense projects continue to depend upon You for vision, and we ask that You will receive all of the glory for these incredible military advances!
· "But You, O Lord, are a shield for me, my glory and the One who lifts up my head. I cried to the Lord with my voice, and He heard me from His holy hill." (Psalm 3: 3-4 NKJV)
4. Iran Gives International Atomic Energy Agency Blueprints Linked To Possible Nuclear Weapons Program - Fox News
After years of stonewalling, Iran has given the U.N. nuclear agency blueprints showing how to mold uranium metal into the shape of warheads, diplomats said Tuesday, in an apparent concession meant to stave off the threat of new U.N. sanctions.
· Maybe Iran needs more sanctions, both economically and financially, to bring them to their knees and senses; to quit building illegal nuclear weaponry. Thank You, Lord, for letting us know that they have been molding uranium metal warhead shapes. May You reveal who has given them this capability so they may be stopped, too, before annihilating America, Israel and her allies.
· "He will fulfill the desire of those who fear Him; He also will hear their cry and save them. The Lord preserves all who love Him, but all the wicked He will destroy." (Psalm 145: 19-20 NKJV)
5. Putin Gives Sign That He'll Retain Power While Huge Oil Spill Could Pollute Black Sea For 15 Years - Associated Press and London Times
President Vladimir Putin said Tuesday that a big win for the dominant pro-Kremlin party in December parliamentary elections would give him the "moral right" to maintain influence in Russia after he steps down next year. Meanwhile, the Black Sea is facing its most serious ecological threat for years after a fierce storm sank five ships, including an oil tanker and bulk carriers laden with sulfur. Fuel barges were also washed ashore by the heavy seas and more than 20 sailors were swept from their vessels. At least 2,000 tons of fuel oil spilled into the water when a tanker broke up in the Kerch Strait, which links the Black Sea and the Sea of Azov, between Russia and Ukraine.
· The quest for total power, arrogance and greed. These are human traits that the Lord cannot work with because those who possess them are not pliable or amenable to God's will in their lives. Mr. Putin has been emboldened with Russia's oil success to act as if he were central to his country's goal of being a global super power. But, he's only fooling himself as God can allow oil and sulfur spills, and oil wells to run dry to humble the proud. May Mr. Putin be saved unto Jesus along with his family and Russia. May he be used as an international example of how God changes hearts! And, may those affected by this disaster be restored!
· "A man's heart plans his way, but the Lord directs his steps." (Proverbs 16: 9 NKJV)
6. $4 Gas Closer Than You Think - ABC News and Associated Press
Oil prices fell more than $1 a barrel in Asia today after reports the oil exporter group OPEC would discuss increasing its output at its upcoming meeting. After a run-up in oil prices last week, however, U.S. consumers are bracing for more soaring gas prices when the government releases its latest numbers this week.
The almost doubled increased price for fuel hasn't only affected consumer gas bills, it also has found its way into other aspects of life, like vacations, eating out, groceries and even how many times a family attends church and related activities per week.
Increased fuel bills reflect the increased value of the oil business. Oil prices have surged to near $100 per barrel recently amid concerns about supplies, a weak U.S. dollar and the OPEC's apparent reluctance to pump more crude into the market, according to The Associated Press.
· Heavenly Father, it is frustrating to think of the oil treasures that You have given this nation and how they have been squandered in the name of ecology and political correctness. Please free up these resources for America to use to stop this stranglehold on our economy and to relieve the oppression of those we depend upon for oil--nations who have attacked us but readily accept our monies for their prosperity. May those countries come to see the Light of Your Son, the Messiah and great Morning Star.
· "And behold, I am coming quickly, and My reward is with Me, to give to every one according to his work. I, Jesus, have sent My angel to testify to you these things in the churches. I am the Root and the Offspring of David, the Bright and Morning Star." (Revelation 22: 12 & 16 NKJV)
7. STD Rates Hit Record Highs In U.S. - CBN News
More than 1 million cases of chlamydia were reported in the United States last year - the most ever reported for a sexually transmitted disease, federal health officials said Tuesday. Officials at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said they think better and more intensive screening accounts for much of the increase, but added that chlamydia was not the only sexually transmitted disease on the rise.
Gonorrhea rates are jumping again after hitting a record low, and an increasing number of cases are caused by a "superbug" version resistant to common antibiotics. Syphilis is rising, too. The rate of congenital syphilis - which can deform or kill babies - rose for the first time in 15 years.
· Dearest Abba, we cry out to You for no more promotion of immorality by our government, media, schools and peers. We cry out for abstinence to be taught as the only morally and physically acceptable form of birth control and that it will be seen as the eradication of sexual diseases! We ask You to spare our youth and ourselves from this curse upon our land.
· "Remember now your Creator in the days of your youth, before the difficult days come, and the years draw near when you say, 'I have no pleasure in them.'" (Ecclesiastes 12: 1 NKJV)
The Middle East in Focus
This week, for all the headlines cited below, please join us in proclaiming THIS DECREE:
"The LORD foils the plans of the nations; he thwarts the purposes of the peoples. But the plans of the LORD stand firm forever, the purposes of his heart through all generations." (Ps 33:10-11)
1. Rice: Israelis are prepared to give up West Bank for peace - Ha'aretz
U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice said Tuesday she believes that the majority of Israelis are prepared to give up the West Bank in exchange for peace.
2. Most Israelis think Knesset should remove prime minister - Jerusalem Post
A majority of Israelis believe that the Knesset should suspend or topple Prime Minister Ehud Olmert due to the criminal investigations against him, according to a recent poll conducted by Ma'agar Mohot.
3. Egypt finds 60 Gaza tunnels in 10 months - Jerusalem Post
Egypt has uncovered 60 tunnels along its borders with the Gaza Strip and seized about 20,000 tons of explosives in the Sinai Peninsula over the past 10 months, said an Egyptian security report obtained by The Associated Press on Tuesday.
4. Israel to freeze settlement construction ahead of summit - Ha'aretz
Israel will announce a freeze on settlement construction prior to the Annapolis conference, and will also declare its willingness to dismantle illegal West Bank settlement outposts, government sources said Tuesday.
Links to Other Resources
In order to keep our Briefs "brief," we ask you to explore other key sites on your own, as you continue to pray for our nation, for Israel, and for His Kingdom on earth.