Annapolis in the News
Today, for all the headlines cited below, please join us in proclaiming THIS DECREE:
"The LORD brings the counsel of the nations to nothing; He makes the plans of the peoples of no effect. The counsel of the LORD stands forever, The plans of His heart to all generations." (Psalm 33:10,11)
1. Palestinian state by '08, says Bush - WorldNetDaily
President Bush told Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas during a private meeting Monday the U.S. will ensure the Palestinians will have a state on the ground before Bush leaves office, a senior Palestinian negotiator told WND.
"Bush and the U.S. administration gave us a commitment there will be a Palestinian state before he leaves office, and not just an outline of a state on paper but contiguous territory on the ground," said the Palestinian negotiator, who spoke on condition his name be withheld because he was revealing the contents of a private meeting.
"Bush said he is committed to seeing an Israeli withdrawal from most of the West Bank," the negotiator said.
Bush met separately today with Abbas and Prime Minister Ehud Olmert ahead of tomorrow's U.S.- sponsored Annapolis summit at which the Israeli and Palestinian teams are slated to present a joint declaration widely expected to outline a Palestinian state in the West Bank, Gaza Strip and eastern sections of Jerusalem.
2. Bush speech leaves the Israel-Palestinian impasse in place - DEBKAFile
Opening the Middle East conference on Nov. 27, President George W. Bush announced that the Palestinians and Israelis had agreed to wind up their bilateral negotiations "and resolve all core issues" before the end of 2008. A steering committee will meet continuously, starting on Dec. 12, 2007. The road map provisions will be implemented immediately until a peace treaty is achieved, under the supervision of a US-led Palestinian-Israeli mechanism. DEBKAfile: The Palestinian demands for a multilateral mechanism was thus rejected.
Israelis must do their part, said the US president: The occupation which began in 1967 must be replaced by a negotiated settlement for a homeland for the Palestinian people. Outposts must be removed and settlement expansion halted. The US is committed to an Israel state as the homeland of the Jewish people.
· Offer praise to the LORD that the "expected outcomes" reported in the first article have NOT materialized and, instead, this has turned out to be one grand "photo op" for the leaders of the world. Praise God, and press in . . . and on . . .
· "The effectual, fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much." (James 5:16)
3. Haniyeh: Annapolis deal won't be binding - Jerusalem Post
"The Palestinian people hold the exclusive right to decide its fate in any manner it sees fit, and it owns the land from the Jordan River to the Mediterranean Sea," Hamas parliamentarians stated within a petition signed in Gaza. They declared their opposition to Palestinian "concessions" in Jerusalem and on the refugee issue, Israel Radio reported Monday.
4. What the Saudis Want from Annapolis - Time
Saudi Arabian Foreign Minister Saud al-Faisal tells TIME that he is optimistic about this week's Middle East peace conference in Annapolis because of what he calls U.S. determination "to see this through." Continuous U.S. mediation in post-conference negotiations, including pressure on Israel, he says, "can turn things around" and lead to a comprehensive settlement before President Bush's term expires in 13 months.
5. Olmert: Annapolis strength lies in absence of Hamas - Ynet News
"Annapolis' greatest strength lies in the fact that even though it is taking place without Hamas, there are a great number of Arab nations in attendance. The international community understands that Hamas cannot be a part of this process," an enthused Prime Minister Ehud Olmert told reporters in Washington on Monday after his meeting with US President George W. Bush.
6. US Congressman Protests Possible Division of Jerusalem - CNSNews.com
Christians and Jews from around the world could find themselves praying in the crosshairs of terrorist snipers if the eastern sections of Jerusalem are given over to Palestinian control, a visiting U.S. congressman said here. "The security of Jerusalem is more fragile than anything," Rep. Eric Cantor of Virginia told a crowd of Israelis who gathered for a rally on Sunday evening. The rally was sponsored by One Jerusalem, a new group that is opposed to dividing the city. Cantor came to Israel over the weekend ahead of the U.S.-sponsored Israeli- Palestinian summit to add his voice to those who oppose the division of Jerusalem.
7. Jerusalem: Thousands rally against Annapolis - Ynet News
Some ten thousand protestors gathered in the French Square in Jerusalem on Monday to voice their opposition to the Annapolis peace conference and the line of negotiations between by Prime Minister Ehud Olmert and the Palestinian Authority.
8. Russia to Host Post-Annapolis Summit - CNSNews.com
Russia expects to host a follow-up summit to Tuesday's Annapolis conference, focusing on "comprehensive" Middle East peace efforts, a Russian Embassy official here told The Jerusalem Post on Monday. The official said he did not yet know the timing, but that the plan was for Moscow to play host to talks that would "cover all the tracks" relating to a conclusive Israel-Arab peace. He said the United States supported the idea. "I think it will happen," he said.
1. Big selloff on Wall Street - CNN
Stocks tumbled and bonds rallied Monday on revived worries about the threat of the credit and mortgage market crisis on the broad economy.
· Lord, it is not the outer things we see that keep us afloat; it is Your love and Your protection. When all fails, let us not forget You! Help us to put our lives and focus back onto You! You are our provider! Hallelujah! AMEN!
· Honor the Lord with your possessions, and with the firstfruits of all your increase; so your barns will be filled with plenty, and your vats will overflow with new wine. (Proverbs 3: 9, 10)
2. Cheney treated for irregular heartbeat - ABC News
U.S. Vice President Dick Cheney, who has a history of heart problems, was treated with an electric shock for an irregular heartbeat discovered during a doctor's visit on Monday, his office said.
· Heavenly Father, we come before You on behalf of Vice President Dick Cheney. We ask You to extend his life and to give him a long and healthy life! Let his latter days be greater than his former days! Amen!
· My son, do not forget my law, but let your heart keep my commands; for length of days and long life and peace they will add to you. (Proverbs 3:1, 2)
3. Pickering May Replace Lott, Analyst Says - CNSNews.com
The announcement Monday that Sen. Trent Lott (R- Miss.) will retire before the end of the year has "taken a lot of people by surprise" and will "shake up the Republican leadership," according a conservative political analyst, who speculated that Rep. Charles "Chip" Pickering may be chosen to fill Lott's Senate seat.
· Father God, as Senator Lott prepares to step down at the end of next year, we pray that all the seats of those stepping down will be filled with men and women who honor and reverence You!
· Yet they seek Me daily, and delight to know My ways, as a nation that did righteousness, and did not forsake the ordinance of their God. They ask of Me the ordinances of justice; they take delight in approaching God. (Isaiah 58:2)
4. 242 MRSA Staph Cases Reported in New York - MyFox NY
New York state is seeing more cases of the MRSA "superbug." The Department of Health reported 242 instances of the drug-resistant virus. Seven people died from the staph infection.
· Lord, You said that You would give us the leaves of the tree for our medicine. As these staph infections grow stronger through overuse of antibiotics, we ask You to turn the hearts of earthly physicians to seek the Great Physician to consider natural cures for the illnesses of man.
· In the middle of its street, and on either side of the river, was the tree of life, which bore twelve fruits, each tree yielding its fruit every month. The leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations. (Revelation 22:2)
5. Iran says it has built new long-range missile - Ynet News
Iran has built a new missile able to hit targets 2,000 km (1,250 miles) away, the Iranian defense minister said on Tuesday, matching the range of another missile in the Islamic Republic's arsenal, the Shabab- 3.
· Lord, in the Name of Jesus we bind the forces that are causing these men to build these weapons of destruction. Let the gospel of the Lord spread freely and greatly in Iran.
· You therefore, O Lord God of hosts, the God of Israel, Awake to punish all the nations; Do not be merciful to any wicked transgressors. Selah (Psalms 59:5)
The Two Meanings of "Peace"
Islam's Definition of "Peace" Is Not the Same as That of President Bush
Difference Will Be Seen at Annapolis
The Bush Administration needs to wake up to the fact that it is diplomatically attempting to force peace between Israel and Islamic terrorists masquerading as a "Palestinian people"-a peace with a double meaning. To Israel, peace means, let us live in peace. To Islam, peace means submission to Islam and sharia law. Meantime, the spirit of division grows stronger as the Annapolis Summit, intended by President George W. Bush to create a so-called Palestinian state living side by side in peace and security with Israel, seeks to divide the traditional Biblical land of Israel, including the holy city of Jerusalem.
The arrogant intent of Islam in this process is so revealing that even the single-minded peaceniks ought to discern it. Leading up to the peace summit, Israel expressed good will toward the Islamic agitators by releasing hundreds of terrorist prisoners and putting an end to new settlement construction. In return, Israel received a taste of what will become an even more violent sentiment once a Palestinian state is established. The democratically elected terrorist group Hamas continued its onslaught of rockets and words ahead of the summit, saying that any peace agreement is already "stillborn." Saudi Arabian officials said they would not shake hands with any Israelis at the peace conference because they didn't want "to give an impression of something that is not there."
And Iran contributed a show of force ahead of the peace talks by announcing that it has successfully built a new long range ballistic missile capable of reaching Israel and U.S. bases in the Middle East. Many pundits are saying that there is a dual purpose to the Annapolis peace summit: One is to lay the groundwork for a Palestinian nation, the other is to form a coalition against Iran. Iran has opposed the peace summit, but is a major financial backer of Palestinian terrorism. But all the media hype that a coalition could be formed against Iran is just that- hype. If a Palestinian nation is birthed from this process, Iran would have a strong influence with a built in staging ground for terrorist activities against Israel.
The Bush Administration is fooling itself. There is no intention of peace on the part of Islamic representatives to the Annapolis summit. The do- gooders focused on peace are being used by Islam to divide Israel even further and gain more ground in what Islam sees as a long term war against Israel and the United States. The more concessions that are made, the more Islam gains. The peace of Islam is found only in complete submission to this evil death cult. The leaders of the world are blinded by their own ambition, except Islam, which sees clearly their goals coming within reach. Jeremiah 8:11 says, "For they have healed the hurt of the daughter of my people slightly, saying 'peace, peace' when there is no peace."
Word of Life Ministry
Links to Other Resources
In order to keep our Briefs "brief," we ask you to explore other key sites on your own, as you continue to pray for our nation, for Israel, and for His Kingdom on earth.