Volume XIV, Number 27
October 8 - 12, 2007
"I revealed myself to those who did not ask for me; I was found by those who did not seek me. To a nation not called by my name, I said "Here am I, here am I."
Note: This week, the House is in session, and the Senate is in recess.
- CONGRESSWOMAN JO ANN DAVIS DIES AFTER BREAST CANCER FIGHT
- SEN. PETE DOMENICI TO RETIRE AT END OF TERM FOR HEALTH REASONS
- THE VALUES TEST - A THIRD PARTY TO FORM?
- BUSH VETOES SCHIP BILL; CONGRESS WILL ATTEMPT TO OVERRIDE
- CAPITOL FLAG POLICY ASSAILED
- PRESIDENT BUSH DENIES APPROVING TORTURE
- IRAQIS BEGIN REPLACING U.S. TROOPS IN ANBAR
- RUSSIANS LEAVE IRAN'S NUCLEAR REACTOR SITE
- IS A PRE-EMPTIVE STRIKE ON IRAN IN THE PLANS?
- U.S. SPONSORED SUMMIT IN CRISIS
- ANNAPOLIS CHOSEN AS SITE OF MIDDLE EAST "PEACE" CONFERENCE
- ISRAEL MAY APPROVE PLAN TO DIVIDE JERUSALEM
- CHPP PUBLISHES ITS FIRST "RAMADAN EDITION" OF OCAP TODAY
1. CONGRESSWOMAN JO ANN DAVIS DIES AFTER BREAST CANCER FIGHT
U.S. Rep. Jo Ann Davis, who represented southeastern Virginia for seven years, died Saturday morning after a two-year battle with breast cancer, her office said. Davis, 57, died at her home in Gloucester. Rep. Davis, a Republican, was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2005 and had a reoccurrence earlier this year. Her health took a turn for the worse during the past week, her office said. "Her determination to fight the disease is an inspiration to all of us," President Bush said in a statement.
"Congresswoman Jo Ann Davis made history when she became the first female Republican elected to the House of Representatives from the commonwealth in 2000," Gov. Timothy M. Kaine, a Democrat, said in a statement. "She inspired Virginians as she battled breast cancer while continuing to serve the commonwealth." The governor will schedule a special election, likely before the end of the year, to fill the remaining year of Davis' term, Kaine spokeswoman Delacey Skinner said. (AP)
· Please join us in mourning the passing of Rep. Jo Ann Davis -- a true conservative whose voice will be missed on the floor of the House of Representatives. As we mourn, let's also celebrate the legacy of a life lived unto Him!
· "Precious in the sight of the LORD Is the death of His godly ones." (Psalm 116:5)
2. SEN. PETE DOMENICI TO RETIRE AT END OF TERM FOR HEALTH REASONS
FIFTH REPUBLICAN SENATOR DECLINING TO RUN AGAIN
Sen. Pete Domenici of New Mexico, an influential Republican voice on budget issues for a generation, intends to retire at the end of his term next year for health reasons, party officials said Wednesday. The 75-year-old, six-term lawmaker plans a formal announcement Thursday in his home state. Domenici began informing associates late Wednesday he has frontotemporal lobar degeneration, a progressive disease that in some forms can cause dysfunction in the parts of the brain important for organization, decision-making and control of mood and behavior. One Republican familiar with the senator's plans said Domenici is expected to announce that while he is confident of his ability to serve the remaining 14 months of his current term, he does not want to risk impairment over an additional six years in office.
Domenici would be the fifth Republican senator to decline to seek a new term, giving Democrats an opportunity to expand their narrow majority in the 2008 elections. GOP Sens. John Warner of Virginia, Chuck Hagel of Nebraska, Wayne Allard of Colorado and Larry Craig of Idaho have previously announced plans not to run again.(Fox News)
· We find it interesting to note that it is only the Republicans who seem to be leaving, while the Democrats are "staying the course." For whatever reason, lift up all of these senators as they work to finish out their terms of office during the upcoming months; and pray for the leadership of their various states, that only good, wise and capable men or women be selected to campaign for their seats in the next election.
· "Choose some wise, understanding and respected men from each of your tribes, and I will set them over you." (Deut. 1:13)
3. THE VALUES TEST - A THIRD PARTY TO FORM?
Reports have surfaced in the press about a meeting that occurred last Saturday in Salt Lake City involving more than 50 pro-family leaders. The purpose of the gathering was to discuss our response if both the Democratic and Republican Parties nominate standard-bearers who are supportive of abortion. Although I was neither the convener nor the moderator of the meeting, I'd like to offer several brief clarifications about its outcome and implications. After two hours of deliberation, we voted on a resolution that can be summarized as follows: If neither of the two major political parties nominates an individual who pledges himself or herself to the sanctity of human life, we will join others in voting for a minor-party candidate. Those agreeing with the proposition were invited to stand. The result was almost unanimous.
Finally, if you watch the evening news, you probably know that I have been at the center of controversy rising from my commitment, together with other conservative Christian leaders, to hold to a principled position on life, rather than party, in supporting candidates for high political office. This is a watershed moment in our nation's history. God is our nation's only hope. He will bless us if we do what is right, not what is politically expedient. Please pray for me as I have opportunity to speak to the American people about issues of life, faith, family and freedom. Your prayers are very important to me and to future of our nation. Thanks for praying. (Dr. James Dobson, Tony Perkins)
· The Lord is putting His people to the test in this up- coming presidential election, for if we follow political expediency and vote for a candidate who supports abortion, we can probably win the election. However, if we create a third party with a pro-life candidate, we may lose all. Where then do we put our trust? We know: our trust is in God and Him alone. Pray then for the Lord to bring to the front of the pack His man for the White House.
· "O Lord of hosts, blessed is the man that trusteth in Thee." (Psalm 84:12)
4. PRESIDENT BUSH VETOES S-CHIP BILL; CONGRESS WILL TRY TO OVERRIDE
This week, the Democrat-controlled United States Congress sent to the President a hugely expensive expansion of a poor children's health insurance plan which would include "free" benefits for families earning up to $80,000, at a time when the federal debt is in the trillions. The Democrats (with the help of 45 Republicans in the House of Representatives and 18 Republican Senators) offered free insurance to millions of middle class families who could afford to pay for insurance for their children. The Democrat's bill would increase spending by a whopping $35 billion on the way to its goal of socialized (rationed care, etc.) health care for all Americans.
Thankfully, President George W. Bush vetoed the State Children's Health Insurance Program (S-CHIP) after offering to compromise (which was immediately refused by the Democrat leadership) and offering to increase the program by $5 billion and even more if the Democrats want to compromise. The leadership in both the House and Senate immediately turned down President Bush's offer to compromise, but instead decided this was a great campaign issue according to "The Washington Times." The vote in the House was 265-159 for this socialistic-leaning bill while the vote in the Senate was a shameful 68-31. (Christian Coalition of America)
· In Congress, two-thirds of the members of each chamber must vote to override in order to turn down a presidential veto. As of this writing, the Senate has the votes to override President Bush on this issue (67 being required), but the House lacks the 282 votes needed in their chamber to follow suit. Pray that this number of votes to SUSTAIN this veto in the House holds firm; and ask our Lord to FORGIVE all members who are voting to spend our tax dollars where they are not needed: helping financially sound families to obtain subsidized medical care for their children. We ask this in HIS Name. Amen.
· "Until now you have not asked for anything in my name. Ask and you will receive, and your joy will be complete." (John 16:24)
5. CAPITOL FLAG POLICY ASSAILED
A group of Republican lawmakers is demanding the architect of the U.S. Capitol reverse a policy that bans the use of the word "God" on flag certificates sent to constituents. Michael R. Turner (R-OH) said one of his constituents, Paul Larochelle, recently requested to receive a flag that had flown over the Capitol. Mr. Larochelle's son had hoped to present the flag and the accompanying certificate to his grandfather, an Army veteran. The Larochelles wanted the certificate's inscription to read, in part: "In honor of my grandfather, Marcel Larochelle, and his dedication and love of God, country and family." However, when the flag and the certificate arrived at Mr. Turner's office from the architect of the U.S. Capitol's office, which handles the Capitol flag program, the word "God" had been eliminated.
Mr. Turner said he requested an explanation from the architect's office, which cited one of its 14 Flag Office Services rules. The rule states, ". . . religious expressions are not permitted on flag certificates." Mr. Turner - along with fellow Republican Reps. Steve King (IA), Marilyn Musgrave (CO), Randy Neugebauer (TX) and Steve Pearce (NM) - complained in a letter this week to House Speaker Nancy Pelosi that the architect's office had "informed several congressional offices that the use of the word 'God' violates the rule."
The lawmakers are asking Mrs. Pelosi (D-CA), to review the authority under which the architect's office made the rules and that the policy "which censors our citizens' right to expressions of their faith" be reversed. They also point out that as the custodian of the Capitol, the architect is responsible for a building inscribed with many religious references, including "In God We Trust" in the House and Senate chambers.
A spokesman for Mrs. Pelosi said a Democratic proposal may help solve the problem. The proposal would have the architect certify that the flag was flown, and then a member of Congress could add the constituent's message separately. Lawmakers receive more than 100,000 requests from constituents each year for flags that have flown over the Capitol. (Washington Times)
· Praise the Lord for the alertness and faithfulness of several of our representatives in Congress. And who is Mrs. Pelosi to use her big eraser to eliminate all references to God from federal expression? Pray for her soul to know true salvation in Jesus Christ. Also pray that the Lord will block all her efforts ( and those under her authority) to remove Him from our nation and our public square. Pray for conviction of the Holy Spirit.
· "Bless them which persecute you: bless, and not curse." (Romans 12:14)
6. PRESIDENT BUSH DENIES APPROVING TORTURE
President Bush said yesterday that aggressive interrogation measures he authorized in classified memos do not constitute torture and have prevented terrorist attacks on America. "This government does not torture people," Mr. Bush said. "We stick to U.S. law and our international obligations." The Bush administration refused to confirm or deny specific techniques. "We are not going to relay to our enemies what interrogation methods and techniques we use," Mr. Bush said.
The New York Times, citing two secret 2005 Justice Department memos, reported that Mr. Bush signed off on "enhanced" interrogation techniques, including the use of painful physical and psychological methods, such as head slaps, freezing temperatures and simulated drownings known as waterboarding, in combination. Key members of Congress, including Sen. John D. Rockefeller, chairman of the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence, said they had not seen the actual memos, a fact confirmed by White House spokesman Tony Fratto.
A Justice Department official, speaking on the condition of anonymity, said, "Torture is defined by statute as 'severe physical or mental pain or suffering,' but added that "the difficulty is in finding out what those terms mean." The disclosure of two secret memos revived concerns about interrogations conducted by the CIA and U.S. military. (AP)
· While we certainly agree with President Bush's statement about Americans not torturing prisoners of war, we also know that Americans are not immune to violent behaviors. We also know that our terrorist enemies have no compunctions about vicious behavior, even beheading. Military intelligence is vital to our security. Pray then for our interrogators; the Lord knows their identities. Ask the Lord to break down our captured enemies Himself so that they readily "spill the beans." Pray for salvation in Jesus Christ for all.
· "Therefore if thine enemy hunger, feed him; if he thirst, give him drink; for in doing so thou shalt heap coals of fire on his head. Be not overcome with evil, but overcome evil with good." (Romans 12:20-21)
7. IRAQIS BEGIN REPLACING U.S. TROOPS IN ANBAR
Iraqi soldiers and security forces have been replacing thousands of U.S. soldiers and sailors deployed in Iraq. The expansion of the Iraq Army and security forces has enabled members of the U.S.-led coalition to begin withdrawing troops from the Anbar province. U.S. Brig. Gen. Charles Gurganus, a Marine Corps officer who serves as ground element commander in Iraq's Anbar province, said the Iraq Army and security forces have improved to the point where they could replace some U.S. combat units. So far Iraqi soldiers have replaced 2,200 U.S. Marines and sailors. The Defense Department has reported about 170,000 troops in Iraq, the highest level since the invasion of 2003. Still, the lion's share of the Iraq Army has been struggling to achieve independence from the coalition. Officials said most Iraqi troops, who remain without competent commanders, cannot operate on their own. (World Tribune)
· Continue to pray for U.S., coalition and Iraqi troops, police, Iraqi government leaders and all who are responsible for thwarting violence and taking action against terror. Ask the Lord to continue to cut the roots of links between Nazi fascism and current Islamic extremism. Pray for the salvation of Muslims worldwide, and ask the Lord to bring revelation, dreams and visions of Jesus. [Prayer offered by: Intercessors for America]
· Offer PRAISE not only for this report, but also that Father God has now raised up TWO intensive prayer watches over Iraq: The Baghdad Prayer Patrol and The Iraq Prayer Surge - NOW! The first is a ministry that gives timely reports for prayer directly from Iraq; the second is a network of intercessors who join for prayer across the nation on weekly conference calls.
Feel free to join either or both prayer initiatives so that peace can be established in this land, and captives can be set free to find Jesus Christ as their own Savior and Lord!
· "For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places." (Eph. 6:12)
8. RUSSIANS LEAVE IRAN'S NUCLEAR REACTOR SITE
The Khorramshar News Agency, which is published by the ethnic Arab underground of Iran's oil-rich Khuzestan, reported early Oct. 1 that the entire staff of Russian nuclear engineers and experts employed in building the nuclear reactor at Bushehr had abruptly packed their bags Friday, Sept. 28, and flown back to Russia. The agency's one-liner offers no source or explanation. DEBKAfile have obtained no corroboration of its report from any other source. The Khorramshar News Agency keeps its ear to the ground on happenings in Bushehr, because it is claimed by Khuzistan separatists as Arab land which they will fight to liberate from Iranian "occupation." (DebkaFile)
· Although this report may only be a rumor, it serves to remind us to remain vigilant not only in our intercession for IRAQ, but also for IRAN. Remain in prayer for our Commander-in-Chief, President George W. Bush, and his military advisors, that they will know and do the will of God in all matters relating to Iran's nuclear ambitions. PRAY!
· "We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express." (Romans 8:26b)
9. IS A PRE-EMPTIVE STRIKE ON IRAN IN THE PLANS?
Australia, Britain and Israel have "expressed interest" in a US campaign to launch "surgical" bombing raids on Iran targeting the Revolutionary Guard facilities, one of the US's leading investigative reporters, Seymour Hersh, reports. In a lengthy article in the latest issue of The New Yorker, Hersh details how the US is making plans for a strike on Iran, beefing up intelligence resources within the CIA and shifting its rhetorical campaign in a bid to win support from the American people should the strikes proceed.
Hersh says the Administration has stopped trying to justify the campaign on the basis of curtailing Iran's nuclear ambitions, to redefining the war in Iraq as a strategic battle. There is now a consensus within the intelligence community that Iran is at least five years away from obtaining a bomb, Hersh said in an interview on CNN on Sunday. He pointed to a speech President George Bush made in August to the American Legion in which he said: "The attacks on our bases and our troops by Iranian supplied munitions have increased. The Iranian regime must halt these actions and, until it does, I will take actions necessary to protect our troops." He ended: "I have authorised our military commanders in Iraq to confront Tehran's murderous activities." (Sydney Herald Tribune, The New Yorker)
· Whatever the decision may be to strike some of the military facilities in Iran, this issue must be soaked in prayer. Perhaps the successful Israeli strike on nuclear facilities in Syria has given impetus to a similar strike on Iran. Although many of the rest of the nations would condemn the USA's action, probably underneath their words would be sighs of relief. Pray for the Lord's wisdom in this matter; certainly the Lord is displeased with Iran's rants against Israel.
· "And the fortress of the high fort of thy walls shall He bring down, lay low, and bring to the ground, even to the dust." (Isaiah 25:12)
10. U.S. SPONSORED SUMMIT IN CRISIS
Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert and Palestinian Authority [PA] President Mahmoud Abbas [Abu Mazen] are expected to hit insurmountable problems as they attempt to reach agreements ahead of the US- sponsored peace conference in November. There is mounting skepticism even within the Israeli coalition of achieving acceptable terms. The situation has become so critical some senior analysts believe the Palestinians will pull out of the summit. It is believed they will accuse Israel of avoiding specific agreements in lead-up talks. After talks on Wednesday [October 3]. Arab media said the sides will not come to any worthwhile agreement until after Israeli elections. On Thursday, an Al-Quds newspaper went so far as to say that the Olmert government is too weak to deal with the issues.
US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice will visit the region in a matter of days. Reports said she has been instructed to intensify pressure on Palestinian and Israeli leaders to make tough decisions. Rice has been joined by 77 US senators in calling for stronger Arab support for the November summit. . . The letter called on the same Arab nations to "pressure Hamas to recognize Israel, reject terror, accept prior agreements, and isolate Hamas until it takes such steps."
Someone must join these negotiations and add more thrust to the process. The United States and Israel have just about run out of steam. The fact is that Prime Minister Ehud Olmert does not have the power to be specific. His coalition government is fragile. He will have to appease the Shas and Israel Beiteinu parties, as well as members of his own government, at the expense of reaching home base with the PA. Already the release of Palestinian prisoners, ordered by the Israeli Cabinet, has drawn rebuke from the Chief of Staff Lt.-Gen. Gabi Ashkenazi. The families of kidnapped Israeli solders have also called for an end to negotiations if the kidnapped men are not released or at least information given regarding their health and well-being.
When pre-summit talks begin to discuss the pre-1967 borders and the Arab right-of-return, a stumbling block of insurmountable proportions will scuttle the best- laid plans of the negotiators. Israeli Foreign Minister Tzipi Livni, Defense Minister Ehud Barak, and other Cabinet members will also be watching their own reputations with hearts and minds thinking of their prospects for the top job some time soon. (By Ron Ross, BFP Israel Mosaic Radio, October 4, 2007)
· Follow the details of this item, and give each one to the Lord for His guidance and direction. Continue to pray, intercede, and fast. Out of all the confusion, we believe the Lord will have His way, but we are called to "stand in the gap."
· "For God will save Zion and build the cities of Judah, that they may dwell there and possess it." (Psalm 69:35)
11. ANNAPOLIS CHOSEN FOR SITE OF MIDDLE EAST "PEACE" CONFERENCE
** Continue in prayer over this meeting, which we announced in last week's edition. What happens in Annapolis will be CRITICAL for our own natoinal security and that of Israel! **
The U.S. has been vague about the agenda, timing and guest list for the meeting. Leaders will discuss terms for a Palestinian state.
Annapolis, the 300-year-old city that hosted the Continental Congress and served as the country's first capital, will add another chapter to its rich history by hosting a Middle East peace meeting late in November at the U.S. Naval Academy. The Bush administration selected the academy in part because it provides a secure facility convenient to Washington. As news of the meeting spread, local historians drew parallels to the Annapolis of years past. It was in Annapolis that George Washington resigned to Congress as military leader in 1783. The country's first war, the American Revolution, drew to a close in Annapolis. (Washington Times) [Reported by: IFA]
· Pray that President Bush would receive the full revelation of the calling that God has on his life, and that he would enter into that in the fear of the LORD.
· Intercede for our national leaders - that every decision, action or plan to pressure Israel to give up land or evacuate its people from any territory would be frustrated and abandoned. May God raise up leaders in the United States who would support His end-time purposes for the people of Israel - and the Land of Israel.
· Ask the Lord - Who gave, in covenant, the land of Israel to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob and their descendants - to have mercy on the United States as our leaders continue to be determined to carve up the land and offer it to the "gentiles", (the nations) as a "peace offering."
· O LORD, ". . . in wrath remember mercy." (Habakkuk 3:2b)
12. ISRAEL MAY APPROVE PLAN TO DIVIDE JERUSALEM
Deal would not transfer control of the Holy City
Confidant of PM Ehud Olmert says he would support splitting Jerusalem to reach a U.S.-sponsored peace plan
A confidant of Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert said Monday that his government would support a division of Jerusalem, which is reportedly a key component of an Israeli-Palestinian declaration to be made at a U.S.- sponsored Mideast peace conference next month. As part of recent negotiations between the sides, Deputy Vice Prime Minister Haim Ramon has proposed turning over many of the Arab neighborhoods of east Jerusalem to the Palestinians. Ramon said the Palestinians could establish the capital of a future state in the sector of the city, which Israel captured from Jordan in the 1967 Mideast war. In return, Israel would receive the recognition of the international community, including Arab states, of its sovereignty over Jewish neighborhoods and the existence of its capital there, Ramon said.
On Monday Ramon said even hawkish elements of Olmert's coalition, like Cabinet Minister Avigdor Lieberman's Yisrael Beiteinu Party, would back such an Israeli concession. The centrist Labor Party would also support the proposal, Ramon said. "There are two central parties that agree to this," Ramon told Army Radio. "The most important thing is to preserve the state of Israel Jewish and democratic."
Under his proposal, neighborhoods in east Jerusalem where about 170,000 Palestinians live would be transferred to Palestinian sovereignty, Ramon said. But Israel would not transfer control of the Holy City and neighborhoods around it to the Palestinians, he said. He did not elaborate but media reports have said that he has proposed Israel relinquish some sovereignty in the area that contains the most contentious sites in the 60-year-conflict.(AP)
· This report is another sign of the end times. Cry out for mercy, mercy, mercy. Only as we behold His Glory, and the end-time plan of God, can we "go through" what must be ahead. [Please note a separate article on this development, by Bill Wilson, below.]
· "If I forget you, O Jerusalem, may my right hand forget its skill . May my tongue cling to the roof of my mouth if I do not remember you, if I do not consider Jerusalem my highest joy." (Psalm 137:5,6)
13. FIRST-EVER "RAMADAN EDITION" OF OCAP TO BE PUBLISHED LATER TODAY!
Dear Saints of God,
We have long shared your own burdens for the souls of the Moslem people who are caught in the web of deception called Islam.
This past week, and in the week ahead, there is SO MUCH NEWS about Ramadan that we have chosen to publish a separate issue devoted solely to this topic. later today.
As together, we offer prevailing prayers for the deliverance of millions of Moslems from the grip of Islam, we can trust our Lord that He IS hearing, and answering!
Updates from previous alerts:
- LOST - UN LAW OF SEA TREATY - ON SENATE FAST-TRACK
- H.R. 699: PLEDGE PROTECTION ACT OF 2007
- HATE CRIMES AMENDMENT ADDED TO DEFENSE BILL
- H.R. 3685; H.R. 2015: ENDA
- DALAI LAMA PREPARES TO COME TO WASHINGTON
1. LOST - UN LAW OF SEA TREATY - ON SENATE FAST-TRACK
For the second time in three years, the Bush administration is asserting a major effort for Senate ratification of the United Nations' Law of the Sea Treaty, a wide-ranging measure critics say will grant the U.N. control of 70 percent of the planet under its oceans. With Democrats in nearly unanimous agreement with the treaty and the Bush administration behind it, only a handful of determined Republican senators can derail a two-thirds vote to pass this treaty.
Here are just a few of the reasons why LOST must be stopped:
1. President Ronald Reagan rejected this treaty.
2. Former Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist prevented a vote on LOST.
3. LOST empowers the United Nations
4. LOST threatens American sovereignty by forcing mandatory dispute resolution upon the United States of America
5. LOST would establish a precedent for international taxation. Americans do not want to be taxed by any international group.
We urge our readers to not only PRAY over LOST, but to also TAKE ACTION. Call your senator this week, share your concerns, and ask that LOST "get lost" by a defeat in the Senate this year.
· "Thus far and no further, and here shall your proud WAVES be stopped!" (Job 38:11)
2. H.R. 699: PLEDGE PROTECTION ACT OF 2007
Introduced by Congressman Todd Akin on January 29, 2007; now has 107 cosponsors. Needs more support in the House and a vote (called a "discharge petition") to force a vote in that Chamber. (Christian Coalition of America)
· "The effectual, fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much." (James 5:16)
3. HATE CRIMES AMENDMENT
Nine Senate Republicans joined all 51 Senate Democrats to pass Sen. Ted Kennedy's infamous Hate Crimes bill last week. The bill was attached to Defense Authorization Bill, a bill Democrats know the President will be hard pressed to veto. But the President has promised to do so, even if it means going back to the drawing board on Defense. This close call demonstrates what the absence of a pro- family president in the White House would mean for America. (FRC Prayer Alerts)
· May President Bush veto as promised, and may he be given wisdom to speak to the American people about the inequity and impropriety of the Hate Crimes measure.
· "The look on their faces testifies against them; they parade their sin like Sodom; they do not hide it. Woe to them! They have brought disaster upon themselves." (Isaiah 3:9)
4. H.R. 3685 and H.R. 2015: EMPLOYMENT NONDISCRIMINATION ACT (ENDA)
ENDA gives homosexuals special rights and status in the workplace, and puts employers across America in an unthinkable, untenable position. The original bill (H.R. 2015) is being reworked in the House to make it more palatable. Rep. Barney Frank, the openly homosexual Massachusetts Congressman, has removed "gender identity" from the list of protected persons, but the nebulous "actual or perceived sexual orientation" would remain. Quasi-religious businesses and sensitive organizations like day care centers, schools and other organizations that serve children are not exempted - only explicitly religious organizations. And, as Rep. Frank says in his letter to constituents, he is hopeful that the revised bill will pass. Passage of this bill will change our nation forever. (Christian Coalition of America)
· H.R. 3685 -- the compromise bill -- was introduced on the House floor on Sept. 29, 2007. · Pray that this bill will die on the floor of the House of Representatives, gaining no more than the nine cosponsors it has now. Fervently pray that Congress will reject ENDA, just as it did in 1996. Otherwise, may President Bush be given wisdom and courage to veto this pernicious bill.
· "Thus far you may go but no further, and here shall your proud waves be stopped!" (Job 38:11)
5. DALAI LAMA PREPARES TO COME TO WASHINGTON; CHINA MAY OBJECT
President George W Bush is to become the first American president to meet the Dalai Lama in a gesture of recognition for the religious leader of Tibetan Buddhism that risks infuriating the Chinese government. Mr Bush will meet the Dalai next month (October 17) at a ceremony in front of the symbol of American democracy, the Capitol building, where the Tibetan leader will be presented with the Congressional Gold Medal.
The Chinese government reacts with fury to any gesture of recognition given to the Dalai who fled the country into exile in 1959 and whom it regularly accuses of trying to "split" Tibet from the rest of China. (Campaign for Tibet)
· The visit by the Dalai Lama will last three days and will include a major address at National Cathedral; the "deconstructing" of a Tibetan sand mandala to be built there; the ceremony inside the Rotunda of the U.S. Capitol Building, and a huge celebration of the event on the West Lawn of the Capitol Building later that day.
· As in the days of Jehoshaphat, when Israel was about to be overwhelmed by its enemies, let us offer a GREAT CHORUS OF PRAISE, COAST TO COAST, TO OUR KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS, IN UNITY, from 12:00 noon to 1:00 p.m. on Wednesday, October 17th. We offer praise to HIM and to HIM -- YESHUA -- ONLY because only HE is the KING OF KINGS AND THE LORD OF LORDS! Amen!
· "So shall they fear the name of the LORD from the west, and his glory from the rising of the sun. When the enemy shall come in like a flood, the Spirit of the LORD shall lift up a standard against him." (Isaiah 59:19)
This Week, Worship Our Lord As . . .
LORD (Adoni Osaynoo)
""Come, let us bow down in worship," let us kneel before the LORD our Maker." (Psalm 95:6)
For all of my loved ones who don't know You personally, will You reveal Yourself to them? O LORD, please reveal who You are to them, for knowing You is the greatest joy of my life. I trust YOU, amen!
(Taken from: Intimate Moments with the Hebrew Names of God, by Barri Cae Malin and Shmuel Wolkenfeld; Bridge-Logos Publishers; Gainesville, FL, 32614. ISBN: 0-88270-801-5)