President Bush and Democratic leaders of Congress failed to reconcile key differences Wednesday over a disputed war-funding bill that would set deadlines for the withdrawal of U.S. troops from Iraq. Bush met with a bipartisan group of lawmakers in the Cabinet Room for more than an hour. Democrats said afterward they would send the president legislation soon that the White House says he will veto.
· The Democratic leadership is clearly "stonewalling" the president's request for funding with no set timetable for withdrawal of our troops from Iraq -- a timetable that would only strengthen the hand of our (and Iraq's) enemy. Take up the hammer of the Word of God and tear down this wall! · "Is not my word like fire," declares the LORD, "and like a hammer that breaks a rock in pieces?" (Jer. 23:29)
2. Bush administration seeks to expand surveillance law - USA Today
FBI agents and other federal investigators would have greater leeway to eavesdrop on foreigners in the USA suspected of having information on terrorism or national security threats, under a Bush administration proposal.
· Obviously this measure is needed to keep track of those who do not appreciate our way of life nor our God. Pray that this law will be used only for the purposes designated and that there will be no surveillance of innocent citizens. Ask the Lord to protect the innocent and to earmark those who need watching. · "Be not a witness against thy neighbor without cause; and deceive not with thy lips." (Proverbs 24:29)
3. Senator Cites Abortion Ruling Side by Side With VT Tragedy - CNSNews
Sen. Barbara Boxer (D-Calif.) on Wednesday listed the Supreme Court's decision to uphold a ban on "partial birth abortions" along with the killing of 32 people at Virginia Tech, in describing what she called a hard and emotional week.
· Pray for Sen. Boxer, for she is certainly deceived to think that a ban on partial birth abortions is equivalent to the massacres at Virginia Tech University. Pray that she will have a biblical view of events and that she will read God's Word as part of her required, daily research. · Pray over her: "O God, Thou art my God; early will I seek Thee, my flesh longeth for Thee in a dry and thirsty land, where no water is." (Psalm 63:1)
4. On Holocaust Remembrance Day, Bush Honors 'Brave' Professor - CNSNews
In a speech commemorating the National Day of Remembrance for the Holocaust, President Bush Wednesday honored the Virginia Tech professor who died trying to save his students from a gunman who ended the lives of 32 people.
· Pray for the family of Liviu Librescu, that they would be comforted in this time of mourning. Offer praise that President Bush has honored this Israeli professor, asking our Lord to bless him in return. Pray that, in spite of the evil that dominated the gunman, God will bring great good from this horrific situation. Pray for protection over all American youth, whether in school or in colleges. · "Be not evercome with evil, but overcome evil with good." (Romans 12:21)
5. NBC News Received Manifesto from Shooter - CNSNews
NBC News received a manifesto from the Virginia Tech shooter, including writings and images, police said in a Wednesday press conference. The network in New York immediately notified law enforcement about the incident and turned the material over to authorities. NBC described the materials as a "disturbing" and "lengthy diatribe." It was reportedly mailed between the first and second shootings according to the time stamp on the package. "This may be a very new, critical component of this investigation. We're in the process right now of attempting to analyze and evaluate its worth," said Col. Steve Flaherty, superintendent of Virginia State Police.
· While analysis of the shooter's mental state is important, keep your prayer focus on the families and friends of the victims. Jesus warned against allowing a root of bitterness to take hold of our soul, and we are seeing the fruit of such a root. Again, pray over the youth in your family and in your neighborhood. · "But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and His righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you." (Matthew 6:33)
6. Second Amendment Groups Bracing for Gun Control Moves - CNSNews
Gun owners will have to be "especially vigilant in the coming weeks to block any new attempts to infringe upon the Second Amendment," said Gun Owners of America, a gun lobby. GOA insists that gun prohibitions - such as those in effect on the Virginia Tech campus -- are part of the problem, not the solution. But the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence and its anti-gun allies in Congress are pressing for new laws to "stop gun violence."
· Some statistics suggest that having a gun as protection is a greater deterrent to crime than having no guns. Pray that wisdom will prevail in the possible debate about gun control. Speak peace and wisdom into such a debate, binding stife and hotheadedness. Law-abiding citizens who are gun owners do not commit murder. · "But avoid foolish questions, and genealogies, and contentions, and strivings about the law, for they are unprofitable and vain." (Titus 3:9)
7. Israel to Ask Gates for More Defense Funds - CNSNews
Israel will ask U.S. Defense Secretary Robert Gates for an increase in military financial assistance during meetings between the two allies, reports here said on Wednesday. U.S. military assistance to Israel stands at $2.4 billion, much of it spent on weapons procurement in the U.S. Radio reports quoted unnamed sources saying that the U.S. would be favorable to a request for additional money.
· Praise the Lord that America can stand as a help and friend to Israel. Pray for a greater understanding among American citizens about our need to stand with Israel, for there are mouths that would condemn this friendship. Pray always for protection over the land of Israel and its people. · "O Lord, be gracious unto us; we have waited for Thee: be Thou their arm every morning, our salvation also in time of trouble." (Isaiah 33:2)