1. Outbreaks of Fire, Smoke, Shut Down Metro Stations - Washington Post
Hundreds of Passengers Scramble as All 5 Rail Lines Affected in Washington, D.C.
Five separate outbreaks of fire or smoke on the Metrorail system shut down several stations and halted train service in spots Monday night, in a series of disruptions that appeared to be without precedent in the system's 30-year history. Each of the incidents, which occurred within a two-hour period, appeared to stem from a different cause, Metro officials said. But the overall effect, which sent hundreds of confused passengers scrambling, seemed unnerving and bewildering.
· Although the officials are stating that these incidents were not "terrorist related," nonetheless -- with Congress returning next week from its summer recess -- we ask that all hidden things be revealed and understood about each of these five episodes.
· "For there is nothing hidden which will not be revealed, nor has anything been kept secret but that it should come to light." (Mark 4:22)
2. Bush: Iran Threatens 'Nuclear Holocaust' - AP and CBN News
The President accused Tehran of plotting to extend 'murderous' influence over Iraq and destabilize the Middle East as Iran vows to use their new 2,000-pound "Smart" bomb against its enemies and unveiled mass production of the new weapon according to Iranian state television reports. President Bush also is expected to ask Congress for $50 billion more for the war in Iraq following congressional hearings in September featuring Army Gen. David Petraeus and U.S. Ambassador to Iraq Ryan Crocker.
· Dearest Father, as we continue to pray for President Bush, may he continue to receive wisdom in all things that can only be given by You. Oh, may our president please You Lord, with his response to the violent leadership of Iran and the restoration and salvation of Iraq. We also beg You that he receive understanding of how precious Israel is to You and that he not continue to participate in her dismantling!
·"Whom have I in heaven but You? And there is none upon earth that I desire besides You. My flesh and my heart fail; but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. For indeed, those who are far from You shall perish; You have destroyed all those who desert You for harlotry." (Psalm 73: 25-27 NKJV)
3. We Are Going To Get Hit Again - MSNBC
. Retired Vice Admiral John Scott Redd, head of the National Counterterrorism Center, says, "We have very strong indicators that Al Qaeda is planning to attack the West."
Al Qaeda has an active plot to hit the West. The United States knows about it but doesn't have enough tactical detail to issue a precise warning or raise the threat level, says Vice Admiral (ret.) John Scott Redd, who heads the government's National Counter Terrorism Center.
· We have no where to turn but to You, God. Only You are omniscient and only You can help with terrorists threats and unseen plans! May those who serve in the National Counter Terrorism Center and all other security agencies that protect America and our allies, seek Your wisdom and gladly walk with You!
· "All the horns of the wicked I will also cut off, but the horns of the righteous shall be exalted." (Psalm 75: 10 NKJV)
4. 12 South Koreans Freed In Afghanistan - AP
Taliban militants on Wednesday released 12 of 19 South Korean captives they promised to free under a deal reached in direct talks with the South Korean government to resolve a nearly six-week hostage crisis. The deal was criticized by one Afghan government minister amid concerns it could embolden the insurgents at a time of rising violence in the country. To secure the release of the church workers, South Korea reaffirmed a pledge it made before the hostage crisis began to withdraw its 200-troops from Afghanistan by the end of this year. Seoul also said it would prevent South Korean Christian missionaries from working in the country. A German engineer and four Afghan colleagues kidnapped a day before the South Koreans are still being held.
· Thank You Abba, for releasing Your children from the snare of the fowler. May the remaining seven Korean hostages be safely released along with the German engineer and his four Afghan colleagues. Please protect the innocent in Afghanistan for their salvation and for Your glory!
· "He who dwells in the secret place of the Most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the Lord, 'He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust.' Surely He shall deliver you from the snare of the fowler and from the perilous pestilence." (Psalm 91: 1-3 NKJV)
5. GOP Senator Pleaded Guilty After Restroom Arrest - Washington Post
Sen. Larry E. Craig (R-ID), pleaded guilty earlier this month to misdemeanor disorderly-conduct charges stemming from his June arrest by an undercover police officer in a men's restroom at Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport, a court spokeswoman and the senator's office said yesterday.
· We are weary of political scandal and ask of You, Lord to grant us Godly men and women to lead our nation in its desperate times! May the truth of this scandal be revealed for Your fame, Your glory and their salvation!
·"The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked; who can know it? I, the Lord, search the heart, I test the mind, even to give every man according to his ways, according to the fruit of his doings." (Jeremiah 17: 9-10 NKJV)
6. Wall Street - The Calm Before the Storm? - CBN News
.."The Calm Before the Storm" (?)
Some fear any more bad news about the U.S. mortgage crisis will revive investor fears and shatter last week's uneasy calm on Wall Street. Others are still wondering if the crisis could signal an overall downturn in the U.S. economy. It appears that approximately 1.5 million people will lose their homes to foreclosure this year and in 2008. On Tuesday, U.S. home prices fell 3.2 percent in the second quarter for the biggest drop in Standard & Poor's nationwide housing index in 20 years.
· Only You, Lord, know the future and we rest in Your care. May the leaders and workers in our financial markets acknowledge their dependence upon You and ask for Your help before a catastrophic financial and stock market crash arrives!
·"For the Son of man did not come to destroy men's lives but to save them." (Luke 9: 56 NKJV)
7. Gonzales Departure Won't End Probes - ABC and CBN News
Attorney General Alberto Gonzales' resignation Monday after months of draining controversy drew expressions of relief from Republicans and a vow from Democrats to pursue their investigation into the firing of eight U.S. attorneys and the handling of FBI terror investigations. The president named Paul Clement, the solicitor general, as a temporary replacement. With 17-months remaining in office, there was no indication when Bush would name a successor or how quickly or easily the Senate might confirm one.
· To the Ancient of Days, we ask You to determine how the remaining 17-months of the Bush administration will unfold, including the selection of a Godly Attorney General of the United States! We humbly ask that You will come to Your son, George W., and influence him in his waking and sleeping hours regarding this position and in all that he does for eternity. And, may Attorney General Gonzalez be used for Your Kingdom work in ways unimaginable!
· "O Lord, You know; remember me and visit me, and take vengeance for me on my persecutors. In Your enduring patience, do not take me away. Know that for Your sake I have suffered rebuke." (Jeremiah 15: 15 NKJV)