CHPP Daily Brief - December 1, 2010
• The Daily Brief
• The Middle East in Focus
• The Daily Jot
• GOP Clips Senate's (Left) Wing
• Fighting Forces Fight Policy Change
• FRC Hosts Military Webcast Tomorrow
• More on Wikileaks
• NYPD Tightens Security at Rockefeller Plaza
• The Good News Corner
• Worship with Us Today!
Capitol Hill Prayer Partners
P.O. Box 5152
Herndon, VA 20172-1970
"Then said LORD unto me, "You have seen well: for I will hasten [watch over] My word to perform it. (Jer. 1:12)
The Daily Brief
1. House May Block Food Safety Bill Over Senate Error - Roll Call
A Food safety bill that has burned up precious days of the Senate's lame-duck session appears headed back to the chamber because Democrats violated a constitutional provision requiring that tax provisions originate in the House. By pre-empting the House's tax-writing authority, Senate Democrats appear to have touched off a power struggle with members of their own party in the House. The Senate passed the bill Tuesday, sending it to the House, but House Democrats are expected to use a procedure known as "blue slipping" to block the bill, according to House and Senate GOP aides.
- Father God, You are in complete control of all our provision, our food, the water we drink, all the necessities of life. So we ask that You, in all Your sovereignty, destroy this Food safety bill that is a radical distortion of God's plan for His people. Assign an angel to go into the enemy's camp and bring every effort to implement this bill to a complete halt, which violates the Constitution. Men and women in high places are bowing to Baal and not to God. The created exalts themselves above The Creator. Therefore, their works will come to naught by the power of God. In Jesus Name.
- "The way of the Lord is strength to the upright: but destruction shall be to the workers of iniquity." (Proverbs 10:29)
2. Senate Republicans to Block Any Measure That Comes Before Tax Cuts - Fox News
Senate Democrats were visibly furious when all 42 of their GOP colleagues sent a letter to Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., essentially promising to block any measure that comes before tax cuts and a CR. One after another, Democrats in the majority sought to bring up a number of other measures, including an extension of unemployment insurance benefits which expired Tuesday on two million Americans, an energy measure, and various tax-related provisions.
- Pray for strength for these members of the Senate, as they attempt to hold the line on behalf of continued tax cuts for all Americans.
- "As thy days, so shall thy strength be." (Deuteronomy 33:25)
3. Two Million Lose Jobless Benefits as Holidays Arrive - Fox News
Congressional opponents of extending the benefits beyond this month say fiscal responsibility should come first. Republicans in the House and Senate, along with a handful of conservative Democrats, say they're open to extending benefits, but not if it means adding to the $13.8 trillion national debt. U.S. Rep. Mike Pence, R-Ind., the No. 3 Republican in the House, said extended benefits must be paid for now, rather than later, if they're going to win support from fiscal conservatives. "The fact that we have to keep extending unemployment benefits shows that the economic policies of this administration have failed," said Pence spokeswoman Courtney Kolb.
- Surely our people need mercy, but after 99 weeks, does this mercy need to continue to come from the government? Cry out to the Lord on behalf of all who will face this bleak holiday season without these benefits, and ask Him to make a way, where there seems to be no way, for each one to find gainful employment. Father God, we are asking for two million miracles during this holiday season. Amen.
- "For the eyes of the Lord are toward the righteous, and his ears attend to their prayers." (I Peter 3:12)
4. Reid Angers GOP Over Immigration Bill - Fox News
Senate majority leader pushes four different versions of a controversial immigration bill without a hearing on any of them, drawing outrage from the top Republican on the committee who would have handled the package.
- In the mind of a child, there is this thought: "I want what I want when I want it." Stand in the gap for the Senate Majority Leader, for he is taking matters into his own hands, ignoring the wisdom of bipartisan discussion about this critical issue. Pray that all childish thinking be put aside, and that this leader will exhibit the strength of character required to fulfill his calling with a standard of excellence.
- "When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things." (I Corinthians 13:11) "Father, forgive him, for he knows not what he does." (Luke 23:34)
5. WikiLeaks cables expose Pakistan nuclear fears - UK Guardian
American and British diplomats fear Pakistan's nuclear weapons program could lead to fissile material falling into the hands of terrorists or a devastating nuclear exchange with India.
- God, the world's nuclear weapons are under Your absolute control and we ask that the strong wills of evil men will bow low in submission to Your directives. We ask that You dispatch warring angels to go into the enemy's camps and destroy their nuclear facilities that would be used to destroy human life. In Jesus Name.
- "And all the trees of the field shall know that I the Lord have brought down the high tree, have exalted the low tree, have dried up the green tree, and have made the dry tree to flourish: I the Lord have spoken and have done it." (Ezekiel 17:24)
6. Bolton: Military strike only way to stop Iran nukes - Jerusalem Post
John Bolton is mulling a run for president because he believes the US needs to recover its international standing and be more assertive, including being willing to bomb Iran and scrap the two-state solution.
- God, we ask that You stand with John Bolton and draw him into Your destined will for his life. We ask that the United States will be more assertive regarding Iran and that America will faithfully stand strong with Israel not dividing Jerusalem or the Land. In Jesus Name.
- "And I will bless them that bless Israel, and curse him that curses Israel." (Genesis 12:3)
7. U.S. condemns Palestinian claim that Western Wall 'isn't Jewish' - Ha'aretz
The United States on Tuesday condemned claims by a senior Palestinian official that the Western Wall of Jerusalem's Temple Mount holds no significance for Jews.
- Father, protect the Jews and all of Israel by the blood of Jesus against all slanderous insults regarding the Western Wall of Jerusalem's Temple Mount. War against their enemies and defeat them by God's power. Cast down lies spoken against Israel, the Land, and the Jewish people. Strengthen them to stand tall in God and forever prevail over their enemies. In Jesus Name.
- "And God did divide the sea before Israel, so that they went through the midst of the sea on the dry land; and their persecutors You threw into the deeps, as a stone into the mighty waters." (Nehemiah 9:11)
The Middle East in Focus
This week, for all the headlines cited below, please join us in proclaiming THIS DECREE:
"You will perform the truth to Jacob, and the mercy to Abraham, which You have sworn unto our fathers from the days of old." (Micah 7:20)
1. Assad: Iran won't attack Israel with nukes - Ynet News
One of the leaked documents published by the WikiLeaks website reveals that Syrian President Bashar Assad believes the Islamic Republic will not attack Israel with nukes in order to avoid hurting Palestinians.
2. Abbas warns of settlement 'time bomb' - Ynet News
Palestinian leader Mahmoud Abbas warned Monday that Israel's settlement enterprise has become "a time bomb" that could destroy peace hopes at any moment. Abbas made the statement on the International Day of Solidarity with the Palestinian People which is marked each year since 1977 on November 29.
3. The Honorable Netanyahu told U.S. he supported land swap with Palestinians, WikiLeaks reveals - Ha'aretz
The Honorable Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu told Obama's hoard just two weeks after elected to Knesset that he supported the idea of a land exchange and had no desire to govern Palestinian territories, according to a diplomatic cable released by the online whistleblower WikiLeaks on Sunday.
4. Wikileaks: Kerry said Israel should return Golan to Syria - Jerusalem Post
John Kerry said he believed The Honorable Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu needs to compromise and work the return of the Golan Heights to Syria into a formula for peace. Kerry made the statement to the Amir of Qatar in a February meeting between the two, according to a US State Department cable leaked on the Wikileaks website on Sunday.
5. U.S. condemns Palestinian claim that Western Wall 'isn't Jewish' - Ha'aretz
The United States on Tuesday condemned claims by a senior Palestinian official that the Western Wall of Jerusalem's Temple Mount holds no significance for Jews.
The Daily Jot
When the world hates, who is it really hating?
I just am not getting it. What is wrong with the Palin family? Bristol Palin, daughter of former Alaska Governor and Vice Presidential candidate Sarah Palin, agreed to participate in season 11 of Dancing with the Stars. Bristol drove her pick up truck five days from Alaska to Hollywood and spent three months learning how to dance--something she readily admits is not her forte'. Dancing with the Stars is a Hollywood reality show where noted public figures pair up with professional ballroom dancers and compete for a trophy. Part of the score comes from a panel of three judges and part of the score comes from people voting.
Although her dancing lacked a certain amount of charisma, Bristol kept getting the votes and ended up knocking out some pretty good dancers on her way to the finals. In fact, some news stories are saying that because of Bristol, Dancing with the Stars received its highest viewer ratings ever. So its all positive, right? Well, not so fast. Bristol's winning despite being not so good at dancing was not well received by some in the public. Bristol, a 20 year old who is an advocate for teen abstinence after having a baby out of wedlock, received death threats instead of encouragement. Somebody sent a powdery substance first thought to be anthrax to the studios. There were bomb sniffing dogs and high security at the finals.
All the while, Bristol's adoring family was watching her and encouraging her on this journey to learn how to dance. Sarah and her husband Todd were seen encouraging Bristol like any parents would. But the news media and gossip mongers kept wagging their venomous tongues, making snide remarks, ridiculing Bristol and her mother, and running them down at every juncture. I do not know the Palin's. I only know that Sarah Palin seems cheerful, energetic, positive, and seems to have a lot of common sense. I also know that her daughter Bristol tried her hardest to learn how to dance. And if the American public didn't think so, she would not have been anywhere near the finals. They voted for her.
Yet there is an ilk of Americana that was exposed during this reality show of which we should not be too proud. The Palin's call them the "haters" because they hate anything the family does. From Sarah not aborting a down syndrome baby to Bristol having one out of wedlock, the haters hated. We as Americans should learn how to disagree without abandoning the natural affections that bond us together as a people. The Palin's are hated because they take a stand for their beliefs, which often reflect Christianity. In John 15:18, Jesus says, "If the world hate you, ye know that it hated me before it hated you." And isn't that the case? The world hates Jesus and that may be why many people like the Palin's are hated, too.
Have a Blessed and Powerful Day!
Word of Life Ministry
GOP Clips Senate's (Left) Wing
The days of kicking Senate Republicans around are over. No longer trapped in the Democrats' supermajority, the GOP is putting its foot down and demanding respect. And with 42 votes on their side, that's exactly what they'll get. With the additions of Sens. Scott Brown (R-Mass.) and Mark Kirk (R-Ill.), the Republicans new bloc is a cloture-killer. Without 60 votes, the Democrats are powerless to move anything on their social agenda. In a letter to Sen. Harry Reid (D-Nev.), signed by all 42 GOP senators, Republicans made it clear that if the Majority Leader wants to move any legislation, it will be on their terms. "... [W]e write to inform you that we will not agree to invoke cloture on the motion to proceed to any legislative item until the Senate has acted to fund the government, and we have prevented the tax incr ease that is currently awaiting all American taxpayers." Translation: Don't even think about pushing the Defense Authorization bill or pet policies until these issues are resolved. "It's time our constituents priorities become the Senate's priorities," Republicans said.
And based on comments made yesterday, two Democrats--Sens. Ben Nelson (Nebr.) and Mark Pryor (Ark.)--agree. Both promised to help clog up the DREAM Act if Sen. Reid dared to broach the subject before tax cuts. As far as tax relief goes, there is plenty to keep both parties busy through Christmas. Democrats are still adamant that only certain Americans deserve a tax break while others--like small business owners--suffer. Under their plan, experts warn that most of us can expect a big surprise in our January paychecks. "Unless Congress acts," one economist told USA Today, "workers across the income spectrum could see sharp reductions in take-home pay..." While the two sides squabble, Pelosi (D-Calif.) seemed suddenly cost-conscious. "Democrats continue to have concerns about the impact [of tax cuts] on the deficit..." Pelosi said. Really? They didn't seem to care about the deficit when they were blowing through the nation's cash on health care, the stimulus, and bailouts. If liberals want to find their way back into voters' hearts, pushing for the biggest tax increase in U.S. history is probably a bad place to start. (Family Research Council)
Fighting Forces Fight Policy Change
Refuse to Accept Repeal of "Don't Ask Don't Tell"
Last month, Obama said "we owe" it to the American people to "focus on those issues that affect their jobs." So far, the only jobs he seems concerned about are those of gay service members. Yesterday, the Pentagon's long-awaited report on "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" was finally released, and the hostility to repealing the policy is deeper than even Secretary Robert Gates predicted. In a statement yesterday, the Defense Department boss admitted that the repeal could have a "disruptive" and "potentially dangerous impact." Even if we believed the report is accurate (and FRC has documented plenty of reasons why it isn't), this survey hints at a fre efall in recruitment and retention if liberals lift the ban. Of the men and women in a combat role, only a sliver of service members (11%) think that throwing open the closet to homosexuals is a benefit to the military. Sixty percent of the Army and Marine troops on the front lines agreed that their effectiveness would be negatively affected.
That's significant, because these aren't soldiers sitting behind a desk in Washington. They're the men and women actually fighting our wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. Their reservations alone show the absurdity of forcing this repeal in wartime. Why would the administration intentionally cripple our military's confidence in a time of conflict? Another part of the report talks about the troops' concern that open homosexuality would lead to "homosexual promiscuity, harassment, and unwelcome advances within units, invasions of personal privacy, and an overall erosion of standards of conduct, unit cohesion, and morality."
** This afternoon, FRC hosted a press conference with members of Congress, the military, and with leaders in the conservative movement to discuss the Pentagon's report on "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" and the Defense Authorization bill, which would turn military bases into abortion clinics. To watch video from the event, click here. **
FRC Hosts Military Webcast Tomorrow
"Mission Compromised Live Webcast -- How the Military is Being Used to Advance a Radical Agenda."
Learn more (about the Don't Ask Don't Tell controversy) by tuning into our special military webcast tomorrow at 1:00 p.m. (ET) with distinguished guests Sen. Jim Inhofe (R-Okla.); General Carl Mundy, former commandant of the Marine Corps; Brig. Gen. Douglas Lee, Chaplain (U.S. Army-Ret.); Sgt. Brian Fleming, veteran of the war in Afghanistan; Lt. Col. Bob Maginnis, FRC (U.S. Army-Ret.); Cathy Ruse and Peter Sprigg, both of FRC.
To register for this event, go here.
More on Wikileaks
Wikileaks, The Facts: Part I
JINSA Report #1,043
Israeli officials told American government officials:
Israel is not in a position to underestimate Iran and be surprised like the United States was on 9/11.
Israel and the United States need to do more to create regime change in Iran.
IDF operations against Hamas in the West Bank are preventing the terrorist group from taking over the Fatah-controlled territory.
Israel tried to coordinate Operation Cast Lead with Abu Mazen and Hosni Mubarak
Read more. (Source: Unity Coalition for Israel)
NYPD Tightens Security at Rockefeller Plaza
NYPD Tightens Security at Rockefeller Tree Lighting in Wake of Oregon Bomb Plot
The attempted bombing of a tree-lighting ceremony in Portland, Ore., has prompted the New York Police Department to adjust its security measures for the nationally broadcast Rockefeller Center tree-lighting event Tuesday evening, an NYPD spokesman told FoxNews.com. Paul J. Browne, the NYPD's deputy commissioner of public information, would not go into specifics about Tuesday evening's security, but he said the changes would likely include extra uniformed and plainclothes police officers, along with additional barriers and radiation detectors. "Since 9/11, we've kept a keen ear on any terrorism development," Browne said. "The fact that the Portland bomber may inspire a copycat certainly has us taking additional steps." (Fox News) Read more
The Good News Corner
Amazing First: Leukemia Patient Completely Cured With Cord Blood Stem Cells
(Berlin)-Doctors associated with the German umbilical cord blood bank Vita 34 say that they have cured a child's leukemia completely using an infusion of stem cells from umbilical cord blood.
The procedure was reportedly performed in 2005 on a four-year-old girl whose chemotherapy treatment had failed and who had a prognosis of only three months to live. The procedure was possible because the parents had decided to preserve their child's umbilical cord blood at the time of birth.
After continuous monitoring of the child for five years now, with no sign of leukemia cells in her blood, doctors say that they have confirmed that the treatment worked.
"Seventy-five months have passed and we can speak of a cure with certainty," said Eberhard Lampeter of Vita 34.
According to the Chilean newspaper La Tercera, this is the first case in the world of a child cured of leukemia by her own stem cells. In most cases the child's umbilical cord blood is not available, and the stem cells of close family members must be used.
The new treatment is the latest in a long string of hundreds of successes in the science of stem cell treatments that use mature cells rather than embryonic stem cells. Embryonic stem cell treatments, which destroy a human life, have never been proven effective in any medical treatment to date. Treatments with mature stem cells do not cause harm to the donor of the cells.
Reported by: Breaking Christian News
Worship with Us Today!
In Honor of Hanukah . . .
Ma'oz Tzur ("Rock of Ages")
Ma'oz Tzur, or "Rock of Ages," is a traditional Hanukkah song that was composed by a man named Mordecia in Europe in the twelfth century. Both the Hebrew and English words can be sung with the traditional melody, though throughout the centuries a number of different tunes have been used to accompany Ma'oz Tzur.
"Rock of Ages, let our song praise Your saving power. You amid the raging throng were our sheltering tower. Furious they assailed us, but Your help availed us. And Your word broke their sword when our own strength failed us."