Friday, November 21, 2008
"Yours, O Lord, is the greatness and power . . . for everything in heaven and earth is Yours." (I Chronicles 29:11)
The Daily Brief
1. Legal Battle over Calif. Marriage Amendment Opens New Chapter - One News Now
California's Supreme Court has issued a temporary order upholding Proposition 8, which defines marriage as a union between one man and one woman.
- We rejoice in this victory and pray that there will continue to be judicial notice of the will of the people.
- Marriage is to be held in honor among all, and the marriage bed is to be undefiled; for fornicators and adulterers God will judge. (Hebrews 13:4)
2. 'Gay' Activists Engage in 'Hate Crimes' Against Christians - One News Now
Homosexual militants have been conducting legal demonstrations in opposition to Proposition 8's victory in the election; however, one Christian believes the increased attacks and harassment of supporters of traditional marriage are illegal and should be treated as such.
- Please keep safe Christians from across the nation who are being attacked and give them strength so that their actions will bring glory to Your name. We pray that those who are breaking the law will be treated as criminals and will be restrained from violence.
- You adulterers! Don't you know that friendship with the world means hostility with God? So whoever wants to be a friend of this world is an enemy of God. (James 4:4)
3. Congress to Automakers: No Plan, No Money - Fox News
Congressional leaders told Detroit's Big Three automakers Thursday that they have until Dec. 2 to submit a plan to Congress on how they will use billions of taxpayer funds to bring their companies from the brink of destruction.
- The government has been overturning precedent for how it deals with companies in financial danger, and we pray that there will be a focus on thought and planning before rushing into action.
- I'm telling you to keep away from these men for now. Leave them alone, because if this plan or movement is of human origin, it will fail. (Acts 5:38)
4. Mexican Immigration to U.S. Cut Nearly in Half - NewsMax
Mexican emigration has dropped 42 percent over the last two years, a government study released Thursday showed, confirming that America has become less appealing amid an economic downturn and stepped up raids against illegal migrants.
- Lord, we praise You that the US government is starting to focus on the danger of widespread disobedience to the law. We also pray that we will have soft hearts for those in need regardless of their immigration status.
- 'Cursed is he who moves his neighbor's boundary mark.' And all the people shall say, 'Amen.' (Deuteronomy 27:17)
5. Nativity Scene Goes to U.S. Supreme Court - CBN News
A couple of Christian rights groups placed a nativity scene in front of the U.S. Supreme Court Thursday, as part of an effort to encourage Americans to do the same in front of public buildings all across the United States.
- We pray for reminders of both Your past and future coming as the Christmas season approaches. May our hearts be on You and not on the worldly celebrations of consumerism.
- And she gave birth to her firstborn son; and she wrapped Him in cloths, and laid Him in a manger, because there was no room for them in the inn. (Luke 2:7)
6. Government Warns of "Catastrophic" U.S. Quake - Reuters
People in a vast seismic zone in the southern and mid-western United States would face catastrophic damage if a major earthquake struck there and should ensure that builders keep that risk in mind, a government report said on Thursday.
- We pray that governments and churches will both be ready as the incidences of natural disasters become more frequent in this time before Your return.
- And after the wind an earthquake, but the LORD was not in the earthquake. (1 Kings 19:11)
7. Iraqi Parliament Weighs Security Pact - Wall Street Journal
The Iraqi parliament began its debate on a security pact between the U.S. and Iraq Thursday, after a shoving match involving a legislator opposed to the pact had delayed the start the day before.
- As the US and Iraq reconsider their agreements, we pray that a spirit of peace will rise between the two nations. May the reductions in violence continue so that the Iraqi people can prosper and turn to You.
- So our elders and all the inhabitants of our country spoke to us, saying, 'Take provisions in your hand for the journey, and go to meet them and say to them, "We are your servants; now then, make a covenant with us." (Joshua 9:11)
8. Rice Meets with EU Foreign Policy Chief on Iranian Threat - Ynet News
US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice met with EU foreign policy Chief Javier Solana on Thursday for talks on trans- Atlantic relations and the Middle East peace process.
- This time at the end of the Bush administration and the early days of the new administration will be a perilous time for the US if rogue nations decide to test the will of the US. Lord, we pray that You will continue to expose plots and that the safety of Israel will also be a consideration for those who will plan American diplomacy.
- One thousand will flee at the threat of one man; You will flee at the threat of five, Until you are left as a flag on a mountain top And as a signal on a hill. (Isaiah 30:17)
9. U.N. Security Council Approves Sanctions on Somali Pirates - USA Today
The U.N. Security Council voted unanimously Thursday to impose sanctions on pirates, arms smugglers, and perpetrators of instability in Somalia in a fresh attempt to help end years of lawlessness in the Horn of Africa nation.
- We praise You that the UN is standing firm against violence. We pray that this is a harbinger of things to come so that the world will stand firm against those who kill innocents.
- He who is a partner with a thief hates his own life; He hears the oath but tells nothing. (Proverbs 29:27)
The Middle East in Focus
This week, for all the headlines cited below, please join us in proclaiming
1. 'Netanyahu will lead us into conflict with the world' If Benjamin (Bibi) Netanyahu wins the February 10, 2009 general election to become Israel's next prime minister, he will lead the Jewish state into a confrontation with the whole world.
2. Iran has enough material for first Allah-Bomb While the world has been vacillating over how best to respond to untempered Iranian belligerency and Tehran's defiant pursuit of nuclear weapons, the champion of Islamic states has already acquired enough material
3. TASE floor blood-letting halts trade Israel's Hebrew-language daily _Ha'aretz_ reported Thursday, that the country's economy was being battered by the global financial storms, with the Tel Aviv Stock Exchange plummeting to the point where trading was halted.
4. Livni blasts UN's Ban Ki-Moon Instead of issuing statements of "concern" for Gaza's Arabs and pressing Israel to alleviate their "plight," United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon should see to it that the UN's members condemn the Gazans'
5. Criminalizing circumcision may force out Denmark's Jews After Jews have lived in Denmark for hundreds of years, the 7000-strong community that resides there today may be forced to leave. The country's legislators are studying a proposed law that would make the practice illegal.
6. 'Peacenik' Peres - Another 'disengagement' could trigger civil war Efforts to uproot Judea's and Samaria's Jews could lead to civil war in Israel. So warned Israeli President Shimon Peres Wednesday, when he became the first Israeli leader to address members of both houses of Parliament.
Pray for the Persecuted Church
For all the needs listed below, let's pray THIS PROMISE this week for the persecuted church across the world:
"And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto Me." (Matthew 25:40)
1. Iraq: Court Releases Christian Girl Sentenced for Murder In prison at the age of 14 for having fatally stabbed her uncle in northern Iraq, Asya Ahmad Muhammad's early release on Nov. 10, thanks to a juvenile court decision was overshadowed by fear of retaliation from her extended Muslim family.
2. Ami Ortiz: Where's the Justice? It has been nearly eight months since 15-year-old Ami Ortiz was almost killed by an explosion while opening an innocent looking Purim basket on March 20th, however no arrests have been made despite the fact that the Ariel police have months of surveillance tapes and a considerable amount of evidence in their possession.
The White House in Transition
1. Sources: Geithner 'on Track' for Treasury Post - CNN
President-elect Barack Obama's potential Cabinet is beginning to take shape, as transition team aides say he is closing in on nominations for some of the posts. New York Federal Reserve President Timothy Geithner is "on track" to be offered the treasury secretary post, two sources close to the transition team said Friday. Two sources also said Gov. Bill Richardson of New Mexico is a serious contender for commerce secretary, but that he could be tapped for another senior post.
- We continue to pray for wisdom for Barack Obama as he picks those who will form his administration. May men and women who follow You be put into positions of influence.
- With whom did He consult and who gave Him understanding? And who taught Him in the path of justice and taught Him knowledge And informed Him of the way of understanding? (Isaiah 40:14)
2. Geithner Talk Gooses Stocks - CNN
Stocks rallied Friday, with the Dow industrials closing up 494 points after reports surfaced that President- elect Barack Obama will nominate New York Federal Bank President Timothy Geithner as his new Treasury secretary. The Dow lost 10.4% in Wednesday's and Thursday's sessions, its worst two-day percentage drop in over 20 years, according to Dow Jones. For the week, the Dow lost 5.3%, the Nasdaq lost around 8.5% and the S&P lost 8%.
- We continue to pray that the stock markets will calm and that Your people will rest in Your plan and not allow worry to cloud their judgment.
- And the Lord said, "Who then is the faithful and sensible steward, whom his master will put in charge of his servants, to give them their rations at the proper time? (Luke 12:42)
3. New York Elementary School Renamed After Barack Obama - AP
At the behest of its students, an elementary school near New York City has been renamed after President- elect Barack Obama.
- Lord, may Your name be glorified and may the people be discerning and not run toward a false hope. Let their hope be placed in You.
- My dear friend, do not follow wrong examples, but right ones. He who habitually does what is right is a child of God: he who habitually does what is wrong has not seen God. (3 John 1:11)
Publishing Note . . .
The Daily Brief will be published next week on Tuesday, November 25, and on Wednesday, November 26. We will then stand down for the rest of next week, allowing our staff to enjoy their Thanksgiving Holiday with family and friends.