On Capitol Hill This Week
Volume XV, Number 20
July 21 - 25, 2008
"For God is not a God of disorder but of peace . . ." (I Corinthians 14:33)
|On Capitol Hill This Week; Vol. XV, No. 20|
1. QUESTIONS BEING RAISED: IS OBAMA'S BIRTH CERTIFICATE A FORGERY?
Document forensics expert: Obama "birth certificate" a "horrible forgery"
[Editor's note: For the past few weeks, reporters and bloggers inside Israel have been raising questions about the validity of the birth certificate of Illinois senator and presumptive Democratic presidential candidate Barack Hussein Obama. Below please find a brief summary of the arguments presented; then go to the link to read the details and to judge for yourselves.Note, too, that this article is the sixth in a series of reports on this critical issue, if true.]
Yesterday, an expert in electronic document forensics released a detailed report on the purported birth certificate -- actually a "Certification of Live Birth" or COLB -- claimed as genuine by his campaign. The expert concludes with 100% certainty that it is a crudely forged fake: "a horribly forgery," according to the analysis published on the popular right-wing Atlas Shrugs blog. The purported birth certificate was published by the left wing Daily Kos blog on June 12 in response to unconfirmed reports that Obama was not in fact born in the United States (Canada and Kenya were suggested as the possible locations of his actual birth). Since he would in that case not be a natural born US citizen (his mother was not present in the US sufficiently long as an adult to pass American citizenship on to him automatically), he would not be eligible to be president.
Israel Insider has followed the story in five previous articles and uncovered evidence, most recently, of admitted forgery among Daily Kos bloggers, tolerance of electronic forgeries on the blog site, as well as efforts by a blog administrator to conceal the admission of forgery. The latest examinaton of the purported documents is by far the most detailed and technically sophisticated to date. (To read the details of this report, go here.)
Perhaps the outspoken Israeli press corps will be able to do what their . . . American counterparts have failed to do so far. Obama's visit this week to Israel will be an opportunity to begin asking the tough questions -- however unpolitically correct -- about his apparently forged birth certificate and what that means for his citizenship status and Constitutional fitness to be the next leader of the free world. (Israel Insider)
· Normally, we wait for the mainstream media (MSM) to file a report before we bring it to you for prayer, but in this case, we are tired of waiting. This issue, if true, is too important not to be covered in prayer. We ask you to search the link for the original article and judge for yourselves. In the meantime, let's all join our hearts and our prayers so that this issue, and every matter related to this year's presidential election, would be based upon only the TRUTH, and that ALL DECEPTION BE UNVEILED AND REMOVED. Thank you!
· "Take heed that no man deceive you." (Matthew 24:4)
2. DR. DOBSON "MIGHT" ENDORSE SENATOR JOHN MCCAIN FOR PRESIDENT
Dr. James Dobson says there is a possibility he "might" endorse Sen. John McCain for president. On today's Focus on the Family Action radio broadcast, he said concerns about Sen. Barack Obama have prompted him to reconsider his take on McCain.
"Neither of the candidates is consistent with my views," Dr. Dobson said, speaking as a private citizen. "But Senator McCain is certainly closer to them than Senator Obama by a wide margin. And there's no doubt . . . in my mind about whose policies will result in more babies being killed or who will do the greatest damage to the institution of marriage and the family. I'm convinced that Senator McCain comes closer to what I believe."
Joining Dr. Dobson on the broadcast was Dr. Albert Mohler, president of Southern Baptist Theological Seminary and a member of the Focus on the Family Board of Directors. Dr. Mohler called Obama "a very attractive candidate. "Iwould want to vote for him," he said, "but the closer I look at his positions, the more alarmed I become. He is the candidate who bills himself as the candidate of change and in an odd way he is, just not the kind of change that I think most Americans now understand. "We're looking at the most liberal candidate, I think, to gain a party nomination . . . in the history of this country."
Dr. Dobson said that while he has been critical of McCain in the past, "There's nothing dishonorable in a person rethinking his or her positions, especially in a constantly changing political context."(Citizen Link)
· Please pray that Americans will vote according to God's Word and His principles. Call forth God's mercy on this upcoming election and the political conventions. Remember the line from the American song, "America, the Beautiful": " who more than self their country loved and liberty more than life." God's heart has to be our voting guide.
· "O, satisfy us early with Thy mercy; that we may rejoice and be glad all our days." (Psalm 90:14)
3. SENATE BILL DESIGNED TO EASE PRICE OF GAS AT THE PUMPS
UPDATE: COMMODITY SPECULATION REFORM ACT (S. 3248)
Bill to be deliberated in Senate Agriculture Committee Tomorrow
Following a series of hearings where financial experts said that one reason for the recent spikes in food and energy prices may be due to excessive speculation in the commodities market, Senators Joe Lieberman, ID- Conn., Susan Collins, R-Me., and Maria Cantwell, D- Wa., introduced the Commodity Speculation Reform Act of 2008.
"There is little doubt that excessive speculation has had an effect on rising prices," Lieberman said. "Our bill will end that and help create a more orderly market for the industries and producers who must deal in commodities as a matter of business."
The Commodity Speculation Reform Act, S. 3248, will add transparency to futures markets and close the door to excessive speculation by tightening key investment laws and clarifying the oversight mission of the Commodities Futures Trading Commission (CFTC). The bill will also provide additional resources to the CFTC, whose oversight has grown over the past few years while its resources have dwindled. (Office of Senator Joseph Lieberman.)
To read more about this bill, go here.
· Friends on the Hill have advised us that the Senate Committee on Agriculture is poised to call for a vote of cloture tomorrow (Tuesday, July 22nd), so that this measure can proceed directly to the floor of the Senate for a vote. A companion bill was passed in the House on June 26 as the "Energy Markets Emergency Act of 2008" (H.R. 6377) by a nearly unanimous vote. Given the crisis we all are facing now at the pumps, LIFT YOUR VOICES TO HEAVEN, ASKING FOR QUICK PASSAGE OF THIS BILL THIS SUMMER, AND "TRUE" ADJUSTED PRICES OF GAS PER GALLON TO FOLLOW. Pray, too, that as soon as this bill reaches the Oval Office, President Bush WILL sign it into law. Praise God!
· "The effectual, fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much." (James 5:16)
To read more about the Senate Bill, go here.
To read more about the House Bill, go here.
To read the Bloomberg report on that bill, go here.
4. COURT TOSSES INDECENCY FINE FOR "WARDROBE MALFUNCTION"
The 3rd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Philadelphia today threw out a $550,000 indecency fine levied against CBS for the 2004 Super Bowl halftime show. The three-judge panel ruled that the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), which fined CBS over Janet Jackson's infamous "wardrobe malfunction," acted "arbitrarily and capriciously."
Tim Winter, president of the Parents Television Council (PTC), said he was disappointed by the ruling. "If a striptease during the Super Bowl in front of 90 million people - including millions of children - doesn't fit the parameters of broadcast indecency, then what does?" he asked.
Dan Isett, PTC director of public policy, said the court is ignoring the 540,000 complaints that were filed. "Unfortunately, you have yet another instance where you have judges completely ignoring the will of the people," he said. (Citizen Link)
· Once more, our courts have failed us. But praise God -- our system of government has three branches, not just one. Please note the next item, below, and prayerfully considering taking the action suggested.
· "The coming of the lawless one is according to the working of Satan, with all power, signs, and lying wonders, and with all unrighteous deception among those who perish, because they did not receive the love of the truth, that they might be saved. And for this reason God will send them strong delusion, that they should believe the lie, that they all may be condemned who did not believe the truth but had pleasure in unrighteousness." (2 Thess. 2: 9 - 12)
5. S. 1780: "PROTECTING CHILDREN FROM INDECENT PROGRAMMING ACT"
A bill that could clean up television is sitting in the U.S. Senate. The "Protecting Children from Indecent Programming Act" (S. 1780) would allow the FCC to fine broadcasters over "fleeting" instances of profanity or nudity.
Call your senators and ask them to urge Sen. Harry Reid to schedule a vote for S. 1780. You can find contact information through our Action Center.
· "Thy people shall volunteer freely in the day of Thy power." (Ps. 110:3 NASB)
6. HOUSE, SENATE WORKING ON FOREIGN OPERATIONS APPROPRIATIONS BILL
Funding coercive abortion and involuntary sterilization?
Last week, both the House and Senate subcommittees approved versions of this year's Foreign Operations Appropriations bill that contain language to undermine Kemp-Kasten, the annual pro- life rider that prohibits funds for "any organization or program which, as determined by the President of the United States, supports or participates in the management of a program of coercive abortion or involuntary sterilization."
Both bills next go to the full Appropriations committees which are already punting most substantive legislative activity until after the elections--when both the Congress and the President are at peak lame duck status. Such being the case, it's less likely to be considered by full committee, and more likely not to be considered separately at all, but rather as part of an omnibus bill.
In other words, from man's standpoint of what man has done, the majority has so far successfully attempted to place this provision just far enough out of reach for this year, and at the same time set a precedent for policies possibly coming in a new administration. However, from God's standpoint, "The king's heart is like channels of water in the hand of the LORD; He turns it wherever He wishes." (Proverbs 21:1)
· Pray that the President and our nation will continue to uphold his promise to "veto any legislation that weakens current Federal policies and laws on abortion, or that encourages the destruction of human life at any stage" and that should any such veto be necessary, that it would stand. (Tim McGhee; Deeper Inside theMountain; excerpt)
7. GAYS IN MILITARY: "DON'T ASK, DON'T TELL" UNDER REVIEW
House Armed Services Subcommittee on Personnel will hold a hearing on whether the law outlawing homosexuals in the military should be overturned. The powerful homosexual lobby continues to seek to overturn American traditions, and the latest example is the Democrats in the House of Representatives caving in to the homosexual lobby and allowing a hearing next week in the Armed Services Subcommittee on Personnel to debate on whether to overturn the law outlawing homosexuals from serving in the United States military. Bill Clinton illegally ignored the law passed by a Democrat Congress overwhelmingly in 1993 banning homosexuals from serving in the American military. Yet Bill Clinton installed an illegal "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy.
Mrs. Elaine Donnelly, President of the Center for Military Readiness, will be joined by Sergeant Major (retired) Brian Jones, a highly-decorated soldier and former member of the US Army's elite Delta Force, who served with the Department of Defense in Iraq in 2004. Sergeant Major Jones and Mrs. Donnelly will testify in support of the 1993 law stating that homosexuals are not eligible for military service. The law passed Congress with veto-proof majorities in 1993 and has been upheld as constitutional several times. . . . this may be the only hearing that liberals in charge of Congress will hold before they move to actually repeal the law. Mrs. Donnelly has also alerted America as to the outrageous "perception management" (PM) techniques employed by powerful forces in the radical left-wing "news" media and by fellow left-wing activists who are determined to impose a sexual agenda on the military.
Mrs. Donnelly said that she and Sergeant Major Jones will -- during their testimony before the House Armed Services Personnel Subcommittee -- expose the extent of real damage that will be done to the culture of our military if the current policy is repealed. She said that we cannot stand by and allow the full force of mandatory social engineering to be imposed on our men and women in uniform. The situation is critical, and everyone who cares about our military needs to defend our military from this threat. (Christian Coaltion of America)
· If you cannot attend this hearing, please pray for the testimony before, during,and afterwards. Pray also that the ears and hearts of the members of Congress are touched by truth so that they can reject these outrageous attempts by the homosexual lobbies to advance the gay agenda. Praying in faith, ask our Lord to bring each congressman face to face with His righteousness.
· "All unrighteousness is sin; and there is a sin not unto death." (1 John 5:17)
8. GENERAL PETRAEAUS APPROVED AS CENTCOM COMMANDER BY SENATE
Today General David H. Petraeus was confirmed as Centcom Commander by a vote of 95-2. Senators Byrd and Harkin voted no. General Patreaus' previous role will now be filled by Lt. General Raymond Odierno, confirmed also today to serve as the General andMulti-National Forces Iraq Commander by a vote of 96-1. Senator Harkin was the lone dissenter.
U.S. Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell delivered the following remarks on the Senate floor Thursday regarding Generals Petraeus and Odierno: "We'll have an opportunity today to confirm the nominations of two of our nation's leading generals. Secretary Gates and Admiral Mullen have both, rightly, talked about the challenges facing the nation as we transition from one Presidential administration to the next during a time of war. The next president will be fortunate to have General Petraeus and General Odierno responsible respectively for the Central Command area of operations and Iraq.
"What we know is that our strategic interests in the Middle East and Persian Gulf are long-standing-and being challenged. We know that the threat of an Iranian regime bent on securing a nuclear weapon will not end when a new President is sworn in next year. We know that despite the real progress made as a result of the surge of forces into Iraq that the transition of forces, responsibilities and missions must be managed with a steady hand." "Both of these fine officers are well prepared for their next responsibilities. As a nation we are lucky to be able to call upon such men at this critical point in American history." (Associated Press)
· If Sen. McConnell is to be believed, then as a nation, we are indeed blessed to have two such intelligent and discerning generals leading the troops in the Middle East. Please pray for the protection of these two generals in every aspect of their lives and for their families. Praise the Lord that the Senate, even those Senators decrying the wars, thought that the confirmation of the two generals worthy of its support.
· " A good name is rather to be chosen than riches; and loving favor rather than silver and gold." (Proverbs 22:1)
9. U.S. TROOPS RETURN FROM IRAQ WITH PRIDE OVER SUCCESS OF THE SURGE
The soldiers, who came to Iraq as part of President Bush's troop increase, began returning home last week. They leave with sunburned faces, calloused hands, tattered boots.. . . They leave buoyed by a sense of pride over dramatic security improvements they helped bring about. Violence in Iraq is at its lowest level in years, the rate of U.S. casualties has dropped since the United States began implementing a new counterinsurgency strategy last year, and Iraqi politicians have made some strides in bringing about political reconciliation. (The Washington Post)
· The timing of the withdrawal of most American troops from Iraq is now being hotly contested between the two major presidential candidates: Senators John McCain and Barack Hussein Obama. In the midst of this debate is the center of God's will. Pray for "all in authority" in this delicate matter -- Americans and Iraqis -- that they would surely know the will of God and find the power to carry that out.
· "Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on earth, as it is in heaven." (Matt. 6:10)
10. CHOOSE NEGOTIATION OR ISOLATION, U.S. TELLS IRAN AFTER NUKE TALKS
The United States said on Saturday after inconclusive international talks with Iran's nuclear envoy that Tehran must choose between cooperation or confrontation and give up sensitive nuclear work. "We hope the Iranian people understand that their leaders need to make a choice between cooperation, which would bring benefits to all, and confrontation, which can only lead to further isolation," said State Department spokesman Sean McCormack after the Geneva talks attended for the first time by senior U.S. diplomat William Burns. He said Burns did not meet separately with any member of the Iranian delegation and that EU foreign policy chief Javier Solana told Iran it must give a "clear answer" to an offer made by world powers within two weeks.
Iran's chief negotiator Saeed Jalili ruled out discussion of a major powers' demand to suspend uranium enrichment as a precondition to end a long- running dispute over Tehran's nuclear program. Jalili said that in any next round of talks Iran was not ready to discuss a freeze in enrichment proposed by the sextet in return for the UN Security Council halting further sanctions measures. A Western diplomat described the atmosphere of Saturday's talks as "fine," but confirmed that the Iranians were unwilling to address suspending uranium enrichment, or freezing it at current levels.
Asked whether Tehran would face a new round of the U.N. Security Council sanctions that analysts say are already beginning to bite on its economy, Solana told a news conference: Iran has defied three sets of UN sanctions demanding it cease its program, saying it has a right to its peaceful uses under the Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty. But there is growing concern the Islamic Republic might want to build nuclear weapons instead. (Reuters and The Associated Press)
· Please pray for wisdom for the American diplomats who enter into negotiations with Iran or any other Moslem country. Remember in Islam, it is perfectly acceptable, even expected, to lie to and deceive any infidel. Is Iran just striving for more time to build its uranium stockpile while holding fruitless talks with the US? Does Iran think that the US will do nothing to help Israel and is waiting for the new president to be elected? Please pray about all these matters.
· "Be thou not envious against evil men, neither desire to be with them. For their heart studieth destruction and their lips talk of mischief." (Proverbs 24:1,2)
11. EU SHOULD DRAFT ITS OWN MIDDLE EAST 'ROAD MAP'
France has urged the European Union to draft a new Middle East 'Road Map' to resolve the Israeli- Palestinian conflict. Speaking in Brussels on Tuesday, French Foreign Minister Bernard Kouchner stressed that the new plan would not be a replacement for the road map drafted by the Bush administration but suggested that the EU present an additional plan of its own.
Regarding Syria, Kouchner said it was too early for an agreement between the country and the EU, and that more progress was needed in negotiations between Damascus and Jerusalem. Earlier Tuesday, France announced that it would support the deployment of UN troops in the Shaba Farms region, in the North. (THE JERUSALEM POST )
· What an interesting suggestion by France, a country obviously trying to enter the international stage under its new president Sarkozy! With the growing anti- semitism in Europe, we wonder what " road map" the EU might propose - probably one that bears no fair support of Israel. Possibly we should pray that such an EU proposal never develops beyond the talking stage. Please note the final sentence: UN troops in the northern section of Israel. NO! No! No!
· "The tongue of the wise useth knowledge aright: but perverseness therein is a breach in the spirit." (Proverbs 15: 2)
12. AFTER PRISONER EXCHANGE, FAMILIES SHARE FEELINGS OF GRIEF AND RELIEF
For two whole years they stood side by side-the families of the Israel Defense Forces troops kidnapped into Lebanon and the family of soldier Gilad Shalit, who is being held in the Gaza Strip. On the morning of July 16, Gilad's father Noam expressed his support for the Regev and Goldwasser families and shared their grief.
The bereaved families and the entire country watched live TV images of the coffins containing the bodies of Eldad Regev and Ehud Goldwasser being taken off a Hizbullah truck on their way to Israel. Two years of tension and hope turned at once into grief.
"I am certain that the captives' families in Nahariya and Kiryat Motzkin are experiencing feelings of grief mixed with feelings of relief over the fact that this affair is over," Shalit told Ynet. "We support the families, love them and strengthen them," the father added. "I assume they want to be left alone at this time and I respect that."
Shalit hopes that now that the Israel-Hizbullah deal has been completed, the government will approve another exchange deal which will bring his son back home. [Bridges for Peace]
Editor's Note: There are extremely sensitive reactions in Israel to the recent Prisoner Exchange. Visit www.bridgesforpeace.com and listen to our BFP Mosaic Radio "Special two-part Feature" comments by human rights lawyer Justus Weiner (against the exchange) and Rabbi Shlomo Riskin (for the decision).
· Pray that the God of all comfort will minister into this traumatic week for all Israel. The nation is in great distress. Many warn the prisoner swap will encourage more kidnapping. Pray that the Lord will defend His people and His Land.
· "My times are in Your hand; deliver me from the hand of my enemies, and from those who persecute me." (Psalm 31:15)
|This Week, Worship Our Lord As . . .|
This Week, Worship Our Lord As . . .
"Let them know that you, whose name is the LORD - that you alone are the Most High over all the earth." (Psalm 83:18)
This name, Adoni, LORD, is too sacred to even pronounce as it really is. Lord, Your Name is all I need in this life to get by. I don't need wealth, fame, power -- all I need is You. You give me the fulfillment within that nothing else will ever satisfy.
How beautiful is Your Name. Thank You that Your holy language is sacred. Your name is sacred. How I praise You for this knowledge. May I honor Your life in me, as I journey onward, desiring to do Your will. Blessed is the Name.
(Taken from: Intimate Moments with the Hebrew Names of God, by Barri Cae Malin and Shmuel Wolkenfeld; Bridge-Logos Publishers; Gainesville, FL, 32614. ISBN: 0-88270-801-5)
|Who We Are|
On Capitol Hill This Week (the "OCAP") is published by Capitol Hill Prayer Partners. All scriptures are quoted from the King James Version of the Bible, unless otherwise noted. For further information about legislative matters on Capitol Hill, you may call the Capitol switchboard at 202-224-3121 and ask to be connected to the representative or senator of your choice.
Permission is granted to distribute this bulletin at will. HOWEVER, WE ASK THAT YOU NOT POST ANY OF OUR PUBLICATIONS ON ANY WEBSITE WITHOUT PERMISSION. Please cite Capitol Hill Prayer Partners as the source for this information. Thank you for praying with us for our leaders and our nation.
|A Note to Our New Subscribers|
Capitol Hill Prayer Partners welcomes all who wish to pray for our leaders to join us in prayer for our nation. You may sign up to receive our alerts by sending an email to us at email@example.com, requesting to be added to receive our free alerts. WELCOME!
| ||We Welcome Your Gifts!|
Capitol Hill Prayer Partners (CHPP) is a 501(c)(3), tax- exempt, faith-based, ministry, dedicated to praying for our leaders (1 Tim. 2:1,2). CHPP relies solely on the gifts of our readers to continue this work; thus we greatly appreciate your help in supporting this publication. Contributions may be sent to: Capitol Hill Prayer Partners, P.O. Box 5152, Herndon, VA 20172-1970. Please make checks payable to: CHPP. THANK YOU!
|Thank You for Joining Us in Prayer|
Therefore I exhort first of all that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks be made for all men, for kings and all who are in authority, that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and reverence. (I Timothy 2:1,2 NKJV)
|Feel Free to Visit Our Blog|