· The Daily Brief
· The Middle East in Focus
· Iran in the News
· Conservatives Fight UNFPA
· Senator Reid: "Judges Aren't a Big Issue"
· The Obama Birth Certificate Cover Up
Capitol Hill Prayer Partners
P.O. Box 5152
Herndon, VA 20172-1970
The Daily Brief Wednesday, July 23, 2008
"For God is not a God of disorder, but of peace ." (I Corin. 14:33)
The Daily Brief
1. Hurricane Dolly Makes Landfall in Texas, Downgraded to Category 1 Storm - Fox News
Hurricane Dolly slammed into the South Texas coast Wednesday, with punishing rain and winds of 100 mph, blowing down signs, damaging an apartment complex, and knocking out power to thousands before weakening over land. Local officials' greatest fear - that the levees holding back the Rio Grande would fail and cause massive flooding - eased when Dolly meandered 35 miles north of the U.S.- Mexico border just before coming ashore on South Padre Island as a Category 2 storm. About two hours later, Dolly's winds slowed to 95 mph, and the storm was downgraded to a Category 1.
· Thank You, God, for calming Your winds for Your glory. May many come to know You as their Savior for the miracle You allowed in Texas today.
· "Praise God in His sanctuary; Praise Him in His mighty firmament! Praise Him for His mighty acts; Praise Him according to His excellent greatness!" (Psalm 150: 1-2 NKJV)
2. Finally, End In Sight For California Wildfires - USA Today
Officials reported progress Tuesday with California's remaining 33 blazes -- down from more than 2,000 in the past month -- although fire danger, causing some evacuation orders, remained high in some rural areas.Wildfires burning since June 21 have scorched 1,528 square miles (3,958 square kilometers) across the state and destroyed 122 homes.
· Thank You, God, for answering our prayers. May California thank You, too, for sparing them from further harm. May many be brought to salvation due to the miracle of Your quenching California's flames.
· "Praise Him with loud cymbals; Praise Him with clashing cymbals! Let everything that has breath praise the Lord. Praise the Lord!" (Psalm 150: 5-6 NKJV)
3. Treasury's Paulson Lifts Dollar From Lows - Financial Times
U.S. Treasury Secretary Paulson's proposed economic recovery plan is credited with strengthening the U.S. dollar. Wednesday, the dollar rallied from close to a record low against the euro on Tuesday, after Paulson moved to calm fears over the health of the U.S. financial system. However, the greenback recovered after Mr. Paulson predicted U.S. lawmakers would pass a bill this week to shore up Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac--the state-sponsored mortgage providers-- even though analysts say it might have as much as a $25 billion price tag.
· Thank You, Lord, for giving Treasury Secretary Paulson wisdom on how to begin the long journey back to monetary health for our U.S. dollar. May he seek Your Face as he helps America re-establish the dollar as the international currency of choice. May America thank You, too. In Your Name we pray. Amen.
· "'Not by might nor by power, but by My Spirit,' says the Lord of hosts." (Zechariah 4: 6b NKJV)
4. Poll Finds "More Than Two-Thirds Of Americans Support Expanding Drilling" For Oil - Wall Street Journal
Oil prices have fallen since President Bush announced his support for more drilling, and polls these days are shifting overwhelmingly in favor of it. More than two-thirds of Americans support expanding drilling along the coasts, and 59% approve of drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge, according to a Reuters-Zogby poll.
· Only You, God, could bring hearts to change in America to use the energy resources that You have given us. Please spare us from our enemies and their oil. Please dry up their natural resources if they do not turn to You and spare Israel. And, may You grant Israel and her allies all of the oil that they need. May many be saved because of Your divinely given oil. For Your glory we pray these things. Amen.
· "I will give you the treasures of darkness and hidden riches of secret places, that you may know that I, the Lord, Who call you by your name, am the God of Israel. I am the Lord, and there is no other; there is no God besides Me. I will gird you, though you have not known Me, that they may know from the rising of the sun to its setting that there is none besides Me." (Isaiah 45: 3, 5-6 NKJV)
5. U.S. General Warns Russia On Nuclear Bombers In Cuba - AFP and Washington Post
Russia would cross "a red line for the United States of America" if it were to base nuclear capable bombers in Cuba, a top US air force officer warned on Tuesday. "If they did, I think we should stand strong and indicate that is something that crosses a threshold, crosses a red line for the United States of America," said General Norton Schwartz, nominated to be the Air Force's chief of staff.Russian bombers capable of carrying nuclear weapons could be deployed to Cuba in response to U.S. plans to install a missile defense system in Eastern Europe (Poland), a Russian newspaper reported Monday, citing an unnamed senior Russian air force official.
· Dear Abba. Please free Russia and Cuba from Communism and America from its indifference to You. May the United States again rely upon You for its security and in turn, praise You for this help. We pray that the Russian nuclear bombers will not be able to fly to Cuba, and that our military leaders will stand in total amazement at Your divine intervention. For Your total glory we pray. Amen.
· "Look to Me and be saved, all you ends of the earth! For I am God, and there is no other." (Isaiah 45: 22 NKJV)
6. United States And Poland Holding Talks On Missile Defense System - Associated Press and the White House Morning Update
Polish and U.S. officials are holding talks on Warsaw's demands for defense aid in exchange for placing part of an American missile defense system in Poland. U.S. Embassy spokesman Andrew Schilling says four so-called working groups are expected on Wednesday to wrap up their two-month study of Polish demands for U.S. help in upgrading Poland's armed forces. The U.S. wants to place 10 interceptor missiles in northern Poland and a radar base in the neighboring Czech Republic, saying the defense system is needed to protect Europe and the U.S. from possible future attacks from Iran."
· Thank You Lord, for protecting the U.S. and Europe from military aggression from Iran and Israel's other enemies. We ask for continued wisdom for those involved with the planning and construction of this missile defense system in Poland. May they seek Your Face in this strategic matter. May this glorify You. In Jesus' Name we pray. Amen.
· "Likewise the Spirit also helps in our weaknesses. For we do not know what we should pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself makes intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered." (Romans 8: 26 NKJV)
7. Russia Increases Weapon Sales To Chavez-- Chavez Claims Alliance With Russia Will Protect Venezuela - Fox News and Washington Times
Russia is showing its irritation with U.S. missile intervention with Poland, by selling more weapons to Venezuela's Hugo Chavez. Chavez is on a shopping spree for military hardware from Moscow, and energy deals--his third visit to Moscow since 2006, when he purchased $3 billion in Russian weapons systems.Chavez called for a strategic alliance with Russia to protect his country from the United States. He is in Russia to broker a number of deals involving weapons purchases, oil exploration and possibly the creation of a joint financial institution. Venezuela's state-run oil company Petroleos de Venezuela SA signed separate deals with three Russian energy companies - Gazprom, Lukoil and TNK-BP - during the first day of Chavez's visit.
· Heavenly Father, please allow America to continue its promise to build a missile base in Poland despite Russia and Venezuela's plans to intimidate and stop its construction. May the world realize that You are its only hope for peace and prosperity. May Mr. Putin and Chavez and their countries be saved for Your Son's glory. In Your Name we pray. Amen.
· "If it had not been the Lord who was on our side, when men rose up against us, then they would have swallowed us alive, when their wrath was kindled against us. Blessed be the Lord, who has not given us as prey to their teeth. Our help is in the name of the Lord, who made heaven and earth." (Psalm 124: 2-3, 6 and 8 NKJV)
The Middle East in Focus
The Middle East in Focus This week, for all the headlines cited below, please join us in proclaiming THIS DECREE: "My covenant will I not break, nor alter the thing that is gone out of My lips." (Psalm 89:34)
1. Obama Calls for Lasting Peace in Israel, Warns of Iranian Threat - Fox News
Barack Obama said Wednesday, that he brings an "unshakable commitment" to Israel's security, but called on the nation to make peace with the Palestinians and warned of the "grave threat" posed by a nuclear Iran.
2. Government defeated in 3 no confidence votes - Ynet News
The Knesset passed three votes of no confidence in the government on Monday. The victory attained by the opposition was only symbolic, as a majority of 61 Knesset members is required in order to dissolve the Knesset.
3. Hezbollah chief to UN: Ready to swap more prisoners with Israel - Ha'aretz
United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon on Tuesday released details of a letter he received from Hassan Nasrallah, in which the Hezbollah leader expressed willingness to carry out further prisoner swaps with Israel and outlined his group's conditions for future deals.
4. 18 injured in Jerusalem bulldozer attack - Ynet News
Three weeks after the previous Jerusalem bulldozer attack, another tractor driver went on a rampage on the capital's King David Street on Tuesday afternoon.
5. Settler grandpa saves the day - Ynet News
Yaakov Asael, a resident of the Susiya settlement in southern Mount Hebron is Tuesday's hero. Asael shot and killed the terrorist who carried out the bulldozer attack in Jerusalem earlier in the day.
Iran in the News
For all the headlines below, we thank God for the promise of His Word: ". . . thou shalt be far from oppression; for thou shalt not fear: and from terror; for it shall not come near thee." (Isaiah 54:14)
1. Iran vows no nuclear concessions - BBC
Iran will not "retreat one iota" in its nuclear activities, its president says, in his first reaction to a new call for Tehran to end uranium enrichment.
2. Ex-Advisers Warn Against Threatening to Attack Iran - Washington Post
The Bush administration should stop talking about a military attack as an option if negotiations do not immediately halt Iran's uranium reprocessing program, two former national security advisers said yesterday.
3. McCain: US will not allow second Holocaust by Iran - Ynet News
American presidential candidate John McCain told Israel's Channel 2 News station that stiffer sanctions might stop Iran's threats against Israel. In the interview broadcast Monday, the Republican candidate said that in any event, the US would not allow Iran to try to destroy Israel.
4. Obama in Israel: Iran's nuclear program problem for entire world - Ynet News
Iran's nuclear program poses a problem for all of humanity, US Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama said Wednesday as he began a visit to Jerusalem.
Conservatives Fight UNFPA
The House and Senate are providing a frightening glimpse of things to come if a pro-abortion President and congressional majority are elected this November. With Sen. Sam Brownback (R-Kans.) casting the only dissenting vote, the Senate Appropriations Committee approved a Foreign Operations bill that would boost so-called "family planning" funding by 13 percent, raising the 2009 total to a whopping $520 million. Among the programs boosted by the hike is the United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA), which would receive $45 million to support forced abortion and sterilizations. Under the Senate's bill, the Mexico City policy, which bans U.S. funds from subsidizing groups that "promote or perform" abortion, would die. Although the House version wouldn't overturn the Mexico City policy, it raises the Senate's pledge by $15 million, providing $60 million for the UNFPA.
Before both chambers schedule their floor votes, we encourage you to contact your leaders and ask them to respect the longstanding policy that bars American funds from taking innocent unborn lives via overseas aid. (Family Research Council)
· Today, we offer special prayer for Senator Sam Brownback, the only one who opposed this wicked bill. Ask our God to visit Senator Brownback with a fresh portion of His joy, and the oil of His spirit, that his hands would indeed be strengthened as he works to turn the battle at the gate. Amen.
· " In that day the LORD Almighty will be a glorious crown, a beautiful wreath for the remnant of his people. He will be a spirit of justice to him who sits in judgment, a source of strength to those who turn back the battle at the gate." (Isaiah 28:5,6)
Senator Reid: "Judges Aren't a Big Issue"
Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) had the nerve to stand on the Senate floor and declare that no one cares about judicial confirmations. "I'm telling you, Madam President, I can't ever remember going home and somebody saying, 'Could you guys [confirm] some more judges? Frankly, judge[s] [aren't] a big issue." This runs counter to what Senator Reid said after the Supreme Court upheld the Partial Birth Abortion Ban Act. The majority leader was quick to comment, "I would only say that this isn't the only decision that a lot of us wish that Alito weren't there and O'Connor were there." His counterpart on the House side, Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.), had an even higher opinion of judges in 2005 after the Supreme Court Kelo ruling on land rights. Her reply to the controversial decision was that when judges handed down a ruling it "was almost as if God has spoken."
Of any issue we face today, judges are the ones who are literally making policy-often by overruling a complacent legislature. If Senator Reid doesn't think judges matter, then perhaps he can explain why he's been so insistent on holding so many of President Bush's nominees hostage. Last week marked the one-year anniversary of Robert Conrad's nomination. Meanwhile, Mr. Peter Keisler has been waiting for more than 750 days to be treated fairly by the Democrats in Congress. A president's lasting legacy is marked by the judicial nominations he makes, and Senator Reid is making his own legacy one of obstruction. (Family Research Council)
The Obama Birth Certificate Cover Up
The Anatomy of a Crime of Passion:The Obama Birth Certificate Cover Up
Many people are wondering why reports of Democratic presidential nominee B. Hussein Obama's birth certificate being fabricated are debunked, even mocked, by snopes.com and truthorfiction.com. These sites pose the question, "Does anybody really believe that Obama's citizenship would have been overlooked?" The basis of both website's debunking of the Obama story is that he has become a lawyer, a state senator and now a U.S. senator, and in doing so, someone, somewhere along the way would have brought up the birth certificate issue. This is simply not the case.
It would be rare that anyone going to college or running for office would have to produce an official original of their birth certificate. The State Department even suggests several ways to verify citizenship other than a birth certificate. But this is the presidency.The issue here must be clarified. According to the extensive investigation by the Israeli Insider, which included journalists from Atlas Shrugs and the National Review, when asked for a legitimate copy of Obama's birth certificate, Obama provided a fabrication. Even the spokesman for the Hawaii Department of Health, Janice Okubo, admitted that the Obama fabrication lacks the seal to authenticate it . . . after she said that it appeared to be valid.
According to Israeli Insider, Obama claimed in writing to have a valid certificate of live birth. "In the first chapter of his book Dreams From My Father, describing his origins, he wrote about finding a local Hawaiian newspaper article about his Kenyan father: 'I discovered this article, folded away among my birth certificate and old vaccination forms, when I was in high school.'" So if Obama has an original birth certificate, why then does he continue to provide a fake? Why not just come clean and release the original? What is being hidden from the public?
The Constitution says that Obama must be a natural born citizen in order to become president. It is a requirement. Obama must provide legitimate proof of where he was born and to whom he was born. And now, since he has tried to scam America with a fabrication, if and when he does provide an "original", that document must undergo tremendous scrutiny. Americans should demand it, but don't expect the mainstream media to help. Obama's campaign has admitted in a recent email, "The media is in love with Barack Obama. If it wasn't so serious, it would be funny." Jeremiah 9:5 speaks of treacherous men, saying, "And they will deceive every one his neighbor, and will not speak the truth." For your life, for your country, demand the truth.
Word of Life Ministry www.dailyjot.com