|The Daily Brief|
1. Senate Adds Billions in Domestic Funds to War Bill - AP
In a stunning vote that illustrated President Bush's diminished standing, the Senate on Thursday ignored his veto threat and added tens of billions of dollars for veterans and the unemployed to his Iraq war spending bill. A majority of Republicans broke ranks with Bush on a veto-proof 75-22 vote while adding more than $10 billion for various domestic programs, including heating subsidies for the poor, wildfire fighting, roads and bridge repair, and health research.
· Lord, we ask You to be in charge of our finances and spending. We ask for a perfect balance in what we fund. Give our leaders guidance to handle money wisely.
· "A wise man will hear and increase learning, and a man of understanding will attain wise counsel. I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will guide you with My eye." ( Prov. 1:5,3:6, Ps.32:8)
2. Delegate Fight May Delay Endgame - AP
Democratic committee may seat Florida, Michigan delegates in full, putting the nomination out of Obama's immediate reach.
Hillary Clinton's campaign is taking a hard-line approach to the seating of the disputed Democratic convention delegates from Michigan and Florida, even as Barack Obama softens his stance on the matter and says he's ready to compromise. This sets up a potentially contentious and critical meeting May 31, when a rules panel of the Democratic National Committee is scheduled to determine whether to lift all or part of the party sanctions on those two states. If Clinton gets her way, the campaign insists the outcome will change the so-called "magic number" - the number of delegates needed to clinch the Democratic presidential nomination. And a higher delegate threshold would put the nomination out of Obama's immediate reach.
· May a healthy fear and knowledge of You be the foundation for the rules panel of the Democratic National Committee. We ask for wisdom and discernment. Have Your way Lord, as we put our trust in You.
· "When wisdom enters your heart, and knowledge is pleasant to your soul, discretion will preserve you; understanding will keep you, to deliver you from the way of evil. From the man who speaks perverse things." ( Prov. 2:10-12)
3. S.C. High School Principal to Resign Over Formation of Gay Club- AP
A South Carolina high school principal said he'll resign from his post after the district approved an organization for gay students that conflicts with his religious beliefs.
Eddie Walker, the principal of Irmo High School in Columbia, S.C., announced his intention to step down to faculty and students on Wednesday. "Allowing the formation of this club on our campus conflicts with my professional beliefs and religious convictions," Walker wrote in a letter to Lexington-Richland School District 5 officials.
· Praise God for the everlasting Word. Thank You for Eddie Walker and his boldness to stand for righteousness. Bless him and his family for proclaiming truth according to Your Word. We ask for the sake of the students that this decision to be reversed. We declare "Enough is Enough".
· "My covenant I will not break, nor alter the word that has gone out of My lips. Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for He who promised is faithful. And let us consider one another in order to stir up love and good works." (Ps.89:34, Heb.10:23)
4. Twisters Tear Through Southern California; 1 Dead in Colorado - AP
A wild weather system lashed Southern California on Thursday with fierce thunderstorms that unleashed mudslides in wildfire-scarred canyons, spawned a tornado and dusted mountains and even low-lying communities with snow and hail. A large tornado also skipped through several northern Colorado towns on Thursday, destroying dozens of homes, flipping tractor- trailers and freight rail cars, and killing at least one person.
· Lord, we ask Your comforting spirit to flow over those who have lost a loved one. Bring restoration and peace to those facing destruction of home and property. Draw them to cast their burdens upon You. Sustain them with Your mighty love.
· "You, who have shown me great and severe troubles, shall revive me again, and bring me up again from the depths of the earth. You shall increase my greatness, and comfort me on every side." (Ps. 71:20-21)
5. Santa Cruz Wildfire Rages; Governor Declares Emergency - AP
Calmer winds and heavy fog brought some much- needed relief Friday morning to firefighters working to rein in a wildfire that quickly consumed a dozen buildings in the Santa Cruz Mountains a day earlier. About 1,400 residents remained under evacuation orders - more than 300 of them mandatory - while more than 900 firefighters and a swarm of tanker planes and helicopters continued dousing the area.
· Ask our Lord to calm the winds and bring the rains that would help end these fires. Pray for strength for all the crews who are fighting these fires on the front lines, and for safety and comfort for all residents in harm's way. Pray for mercy in the midst of judgment. Amen.
· "In wrath, remember mercy." (Habakkuk 3:2)
6. Burma Breakthrough - AP
Three weeks after a devastating cyclone left 134,000 dead or missing, military regime gives OK to outside help. U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon, on a mission to open up Burma, also known as Myanmar, to international disaster assistance, said the ruling junta agreed Friday to allow "all aid workers" into the country to help cyclone survivors. At least 78,000 people were killed and another 56,000 are missing while some 2.5 million survivors are at risk from disease, starvation and exposure to monsoon rains.
· Give praise to God, after much prayer for the release of aid workers and provisions. We ask for the healing and salvation of these people. Bring physical, emotional and spiritual healing to the people of Burma. We ask Your hand of protection from diseases and wisdon in ministering help in a long aftermath of destruction.
· "For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." (Jeremiah 29:11)
7. Oil's perfect storm may blow over - London Telegraph
The perfect storm that has swept oil prices to $135 a barrel may subside over the coming months as rising crude supply from unexpected corners of the world finally comes on stream, just as the global economic downturn begins to bite.
· Offer praise for this GOOD REPORT. Let the oil FLOW, Lord!
· "And my God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus." (Phil.4:19)
|The Middle East in Focus|
The Middle East in Focus
This week, for all the headlines cited below, please join us in proclaiming THIS DECREE:
"Restore us, O LORD God of hosts; cause Your face to shine, and we shall be saved!" (Psalm 80:19)
1. Investigators confront Olmert with new evidence - Ynet News
Police investigators arrived at Prime Minister Ehud Olmert's Jerusalem residence at around 9 am Friday for yet another questioning session in connection with the bribery probe against the PM.
2. Israel to purchase dozens of stealth aircraft from US - Ynet News
Israel has submitted an official request to the United States government for the acquisition of F-35 stealth fighter aircraft, Lockheed Martin representative Bob Trice, who is currently visiting Israel, revealed Thursday.
3. Syria rejects Israeli conditions for peace deal - Ynet News
Syria said on Thursday it had received guarantees from Israel via Turkey for a full withdrawal from the occupied Golan Heights and rejected conditions put by the Jewish state for concluding a peace deal.
4. Hamas livid at Egypt for siding with Israel in truce talks - ICEJ News
Cairo warns rejecting deal gives IDF excuse to 'invade' Senior Hamas leaders left Cairo on Thursday "with a sense of great disappointment" that Egyptian mediators had taken Israel's side in a lingering dispute over the terms of a proposed ceasefire in Gaza.
| ||Iran in the News|
IRAN IN THE NEWS
This week, for all the headlines cited below, please join us in proclaiming THIS DECREE:
"The wicked plot against the righteous and gnash their teeth at them; but the Lord laughs at the wicked, for he knows their day is coming." (Psalms 37:12,13)
1. US military chief says US must deal with Iranian influence - Jerusalem Post; AP
The acting commander of the US Central Command on Thursday compared the Iranian influence being spread throughout the Middle East with the terrorist network of al-Qaida. Lt. Gen. Martin Dempsey said the Iranians have to be dealt with directly in Iraq, where they influence Shiite militias fighting US forces. "We're dealing with a network of activities. That's exactly analogous to what we face with al-Qaida," Dempsey said. "When you confront a network, you have to be a network."
2. Ahmadinejad furious over Israel-Syria talks - Ynet News
Sources close to Iranian president tell London-based al-Sharq al-Awsat newspaper he did not hide discontent, amazement after being informed of negotiations between Damascus, Jerusalem. 'This is a violation of the mutual commitments between the two countries, and Tehran will prepare an appropriate response,' source says
3. Iran, Venezuela unite in bank venture - WND
Ties between leaders Ahmadinejad, Chavez deepen
Iran and Venezuela announced yesterday the joint creation of a development bank and investment fund to finance development projects in both countries. The bank, to be headquartered in Tehran, will have an initial capital base of $1.2 billion, with each country providing half the funds. The Iranian-Venezuelan bilateral investment fund will be initially capitalized at $1 billion, with half the funds provided by each country.
4. Rice: Talks with Iran at 'advanced stage' - WND
At a State Department press conference, Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice confirmed Bush administration negotiations with Tehran are at an "advanced stage," with a letter describing a new package of incentives prepared by European Union Foreign Policy Chief Javier Solana for direct delivery to Iranian government.
Speaking with Rice, British Foreign Secretary David Miliband told reporters the European Union was "in advanced discussions with the Iranian authorities" about the transmission of refreshed incentives for halting the enrichment of uranium, that the U.S. - together with the EU-3 of France, Germany and Great Britain, along with Russia and China - agreed to in a May 2 meeting in London.
Rice's announcement yesterday directly contradicted statements in recent days by Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama, who has contended Iran is pursuing the development of nuclear weapons because the Bush administration has refused to talk directly with Tehran, or has refused to hold talks at a head-of-state level.
|Israeli ambassador: "Iran winning nuclear race"|
Israeli ambassador to US says Iran winning nuclear race
Despite international sanctions, Iran is gaining ground in its race to obtain nuclear weapons to threaten the West's future, Israeli Ambassador to the US Sallai Meridor told a conference of parliamentary pro-Israel caucuses in Washington on Thursday. Meridor stressed that the West must unite to fight against a nuclear Iran, calling it the world's greatest danger. "So far, in the race between the world and Iran, Iran seems to be ahead and continues with its efforts to attain nuclear weapons," Meridor said, adding that it is "criminal" not to learn from past experience like the Holocaust, which could now happen in one day. "The challenge to our generation is not to ignore again the writing on the wall," he said.
Meridor also urged Western nations to stop looking for profit opportunities at the world's expense. He was referring to Switzerland's signing of a lucrative gas deal with Iran that has been criticized by Israel and the US.
Earlier, Congressman Trent Franks (R-Arizona), who is close to presidential candidate Senator John McCain, said, "The only two ways to stop Iran from acquiring nuclear weapons is either direct military intervention or conviction in their hearts that there will be a direct military intervention. Iran is sincere - sincerely insane - about acquiring nuclear weapons and the future could see nuclear jihad in the world." Franks has also proposed an amendment pushing the US to organize a military attack against Iran, reported The Jerusalem Post.
Among those who attended were pro-Israel Christian parliamentarians from at least nine nations, forming the International Israel Allies Caucus. (Source: Jerusalem Post)
|An Invitation to Prayer for National Revival|
An Invitation to Prayer for National Revival
Saturday morning, May 24, 2008
7:30 - 9:00 AM (Eastern)
Since 1775, hundreds of thousands of Members of United States Military have literally given their lives to protect our God given liberty, and we are truly thankful for their great sacrifice. However, in 2008 America is on the verge losing her destiny of preserving liberty here and extending the Gospel abroad, for many in the church have forgotten the One on the Cross and His reign over the universe.
On this Memorial Day Weekend & beyond, would you join with fellow intercessors across America and around the world in prayer and repentance? Together, we must enter the Throne of Grace with humble hearts and confidence only in our Lord Jesus as our nation is in desperate need of God's mercy and grace like never before.
Would you join us tomorrow, Saturday, May 24th, 7:30-9:00am Eastern (4:30-6:00am Pacific) for a special extended Memorial Day Weekend Joint Prayer Meeting Across America?
You are invited to call Prayer Surge Now Conference Call
Access Code: 526338#
Sponsored by: Operation Prayer Surge
| ||HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY|
A Salute to our Veterans . . .
It is the VETERAN, not the preacher,
who has given us freedom of religion.
It is the VETERAN, not the reporter,
who has given us freedom of the press.
It is the VETERAN, not the poet,
who has given us freedom of speech.
It is the VETERAN, not the campus organizer,
who has given us freedom to assemble.
It is the VETERAN, not the lawyer,
who has given us the right to a fair trial.
It is the VETERAN, not the politician,
Who has given us the right to vote.
We can be very proud of our young men and women in the service no matter where they serve.
GOD BLESS THEM ALL!!
Memorial Day Prayer
"May the LORD our God be with us as he was with our fathers; may he never leave us nor forsake us.
May he turn our hearts to him, to walk in all his ways and to keep the commands, decrees and regulations he gave our fathers." (1 Kings 8:57 NIV)
In Jesus Name. Amen.
| ||Publishing Notice|
In honor of the Memorial Day holiday, "On Capitol Hill This Week" will not be published this weekend.
The Daily Brief will be published next week, Tuesday through Friday, as always.