Today's Daily Brief
1. Eight Killed In Jerusalem Terror Attack - Ynet News
A Palestinian terrorist infiltrated the Mercaz Harav rabbinical seminary in the Kiryat Moshe quarter of Jerusalem on Thursday evening and opened fire on a crowded study hall, killing eight people and wounding six others. Witnesses said the gunman entered a dining hall where about 80 people were gathered and opened fire. The 'Galilee Freedom Brigades' - an Israeli-Arab group -- has claimed responsibility for the attack. The organization has claimed responsibility for several terror attacks in Israel in the past.
The seminary is the Mercaz Harav yeshiva in the Kiryat Moshe quarter of Jerusalem, a well-known center of Jewish studies identified with the leadership of the settlement movement. It is home to several hundred students, most aged 18-30.
· Lord, we pray for your Holy Spirit to comfort the families and friends of those killed and wounded. Please give strength, courage and peace to the seminary students and faculty.
· "God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? Though an army may enscamp against me, my heart shall not fear; though war may rise against me, in this I will be confident." ( Ps.46:1, 27:1,3)
2. Hamas Backtracks on Claiming Responsibility for Terror Attack - AP
Shortly after Hamas Radio went on the air with the claim of responsibility, sources told FOX News that a few officials within the militant organization were backing away from the boast. Abu Obeida, a spokesman for Hamas' military wing, confirmed the group was not taking responsibility for the attack - at least yet. "There may be a later announcement. But we don't claim this honor yet," he said.
· Honor?? How can you label such a vicious attack an "honor?" Pray for these demon possessed people; only the power of the Cross can set them free to walk in their right minds.
· "When they came to Jesus, they saw the man who had been possessed by the legion of demons, sitting there, dressed and in his right mind; and they were afraid." (Mark 5:15)
3. U.S. Making No Secret Of Its Strategic Buildup In The Pacific - World Tribune
The United States is building up forces on Guam with an eye toward a future conflict with China, Pacific forces commander Admiral Timothy Keating said recently. Keating told a group of defense reporters recently that the issue of the strategic buildup on Guam, which has been underway for the past three years, was not raised by Chinese military officials during his recent visit to China.
Asked if the Chinese are monitoring the buildup, Keating said: "We've got a number of B-2s in Guam now. I'm hoping they notice. We're doing our best to make sure they do. We want them to understand that we're going to continue to course around the Pacific in ways apparent and maybe not quite so apparent, but we're going to utilize all the arrows in our quiver, if you will; and B-2s in Guam and continuous bomber presence in Guam and elsewhere. We've been told to do it by Defense Policy Guidance, and we're most assuredly doing it."
· Thank you Lord, for wisdom that guides our defense force to prepare for confict. We ask for war to be avoided if at all possible. We draw near to You, Lord putting all our trust in You. We ask that You receive glory and honor through all our victories.
· "Nevertheless, I am continually with You; You hold me by my right hand. You will guide me with Your counsel, and afterward receive me to glory. But it is good for me to draw near to God; I have put my trust in the Lord God, That I may declare all Your works." (Ps.73:23,24,28)
4. Al Qaeda May Be Working To Plan Attack, Official Says - NY Sun
The military commander in charge of domestic security says Al Qaeda may be working more urgently to plan an attack on America to maintain its credibility. Air Force Gen. Gene Renuart, who is chief of the U.S. Northern Command, told reporters that while he has not seen any direct threats tied to the American presidential elections, it would be imprudent to think that such threats are not there. He believes that American authorities have thwarted attacks on a number of occasions, and that terrorist cells may be trying harder than ever to plot high-impact events.
· Thank you Lord, for the protection You have given us. We praise Your name for the attacks that have been thwarted. We ask for Your mercy. Save us from any attacks planned by our enemies.
· "Show your marvelous lovingkindness by Your right hand, O You who save those who trust in You from those who rise up against them. Keep me as the apple of Your eye; Hide me under the shadow of Your wings . . . " ( Ps. 17:7,8)
5. World Markets Tumble Amid US Worries - Associated Press
Asian and European markets fell Friday after another overnight drop on Wall Street that was spurred by news about rising foreclosures on U.S. mortgages, intensifying concerns about the world's largest economy. Turmoil has engulfed global equities since last summer as rising default rates among U.S. mortgage holders with poor credit histories - the so-called subprime problem - raised concerns of a spillover effect that could lead to recession in the world's largest economy.
· Lord, we ask You to forgive those who have build their fortunes upon the sinking sands of greed. As the world markets continue to move in realignments, we ask that Your hand of correction would visit those who have acted selfishly for their own gain. May they find the fear of the Lord in this season of financial shaking . . . for this is the fear that brings godly wisdom, and repentance unto salvation.
· "Then you will understand the fear of the Lord, and find the knowledge of God. For the Lord gives wisdom; from His mouth come knowledge and understanding; He stores up sound wisdom for the upright . . . " ( Prov.2:5-7)
6. Home Schooling Unlawful, Says California Court - One News Now
A three-judge panel of the California Court of Appeal led by California Justice H. Walter Croskey, has determined parents in that state have no legal right to home school. A Christian attorney in Sacramento, Brad Dacus, president of the Sacramento-based Pacific Justice Institute, says that unless the ruling is reversed, literally thousands of students in the Golden State will be subject to criminal sanctions.
Calling the scope of the decision "breathtaking," Dacus said, "It not only attacks traditional home schooling, but also calls into question home schooling through charter schools and teaching children at home via independent study through public and private schools. This ruling goes against prior court decisions. Case law in federal court and by the U.S. Supreme Court [has] already recognized that parents have a fundamental right over the education of their children," he points out. "And in fact, the lower-court judge in this decision -- actually ruled that these parents had a constitutional right to home school their children, but it was reversed by this three-judge panel in this appellate court."
· Father, we ask for a reversal of this appellate court decision. Bring victory to the parents that have the constitutional right to educate their children. We thank you that this right and command comes from You.
· "And ye shall teach them your children, speaking of them when thou sittest in thine house and when thou walkest by the way, when thou liest down, and when thou risest up." ( Deut. 11:19)
7. War Averted in South America? - AP
Colombia, Ecuador and Venezuela leaders shake hands, signal progress in talks over dispute.
· Offer praise for this answer to prayer, one week after the flare-ups erupted in South America. Remain vigilant to be "on watch" for prayer needs in that part of the world.
· "Go, post a watchman. Let him declare what he seeth." (Is. 21:6)
The Middle East in Focus
This week, for all the headlines cited below, please join us in proclaiming THIS DECREE:
"For My thoughts are not your thoughts, nor are your ways My ways," says the Lord. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways, and My thoughts than your thoughts." (Is. 55:8-9)
1. Gaza: Thousands celebrate Jerusalem attack - Ynet News
Gaza's streets filled with joyous crowds of thousands on Thursday evening following the terror attack at a Jerusalem rabbinical seminary in which eight people were killed.
2. Egypt Walls Up Gaza Border - AP
Egypt is building a 13-foot high concrete and rock wall interspersed with watch towers along its narrow boundary with the Gaza Strip to prevent Hamas militants from breaching the border, an official said Thursday.
3. Terrorists plotting to bomb Israel embassy in Manila - ICEJ News
Philippine authorities have arrested three Middle Eastern terrorists accused of plotting to bomb the Israeli and US embassies in Manila, it was reported on Thursday.
4. Hizbullah waiting for Israel to start war - ICEJ News
A day after Israel informed the European Union that Iran is smuggling weapons to Hizbullah through Turkey, the terror militia's deputy leader Naim Kassem said on Wednesday that his group is prepared for more war with Israel but will not fire the first shot, reported Al-Akhbar
5. New US ambassador assigned to Israel - ICEJ News
The US State Department has decided to replace current US Ambassador to Israel Richard Jones sometime this summer with the American consul- general in Hong Kong, James Cunningham. The replacement is raising some questions due to the timing, since normally such rotations are done at the beginning of a new presidential Administration. Cunningham has worked in Hong Kong since August 2005 and previously worked as deputy US ambassador to the UN from 2001-2005, where Israeli envoys recall having his "full cooperation and friendship."
Prayers for the Persecuted Church
This week, for all the headlines cited below, please join us in proclaiming THIS DECREE:
"The effectual, fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much." (James 5:16)
1. Sri Lanka Christians Face Massive Attacks, Investigators say - Worthy News
There was concern Wednesday, March 5, about the apparent escalation of violence against Christians in Sri Lanka amid fresh reports of attacks against churches and other Christian institutions.
2. China Arrests Dozens Of Christians, Including Children - Worthy News
A group of 70 Christians remained detained Tuesday, March 4, in China's Henan Province, some two weeks after security forces raided a Bible training meeting, while some three children in Xinjiang Province were also arrested for their involvement in Christian activities, fellow believers said.
3. Pakistan: Suspects from 2002 Karachi Massacre Arrested - Compass Direct News
Karachi police announced the arrest last week of three Islamist militants who have reportedly confessed to the unsolved murders of seven Pakistani Christians in September 2002.
Prayer for the Primaries
PRIMARIES, CAUCUSES FOR THE MONTH OF MARCH:
Saturday, March 8
(D) Wyoming Caucus
Tuesday, March 11
(D) (R) Mississippi Primary
- Pray that the truth regarding the candidates and their agendas would surface and that people would see beyond race, gender, age or rhetoric to choose the best.
- Pray that the spirits of delusion and deception would lose their ability to operate effectively in this election.
- Pray that the nation would unite to elect God's choice when hidden agendas that threaten our nation's security and freedoms are exposed.
(Source: National Governmental Alliance)
For a complete guide to the Republican primaries, go here:
For a complete guide to the Democratic primaries, go here: