1. Senators compromise on Iraq war resolution - Int'l Herald Tribune
The two major Senate groups critical of the Bush administration's plan to send more troops to Iraq have joined forces, ensuring that a resolution with significant bipartisan support will go before the full Senate next week, Republican and Democratic senators said Thursday.
• Pray for a determined resolution to obtain the necessary troops to quickly win the war in Iraq. • "But he is in one mind, and who can turn him? and what his soul desireth,even that he doeth. For he performeth the thing that is appointed for me: and many such things are with him." (Job. 23:13-14)
2. Bush assails 'income inequality' - Washington Times
President Bush yesterday said there is a growing "income inequality" gap between rich and poor Americans, and told companies they should rethink the giant compensation packages they offer top executives.
• Pray for compassion to rise above greed. "He that oppresseth the poor reproacheth his Maker: but he that honoureth him hath mercy on the poor." (Prov. 14:31) • Pray for a heart to compensate and to promote the well being of employees. " . . . for the labourer is worthy of his hire . . . " (Luke 10:7b)
3. Senate votes to raise minimum wage to $7.25 - MSNBC
The Senate voted overwhelmingly Thursday to boost the federal minimum wage by $2.10 to $7.25 an hour over two years, but packaged the increase with controversial tax cuts for small businesses and higher taxes for many $1 million-plus executives.
• Thank the Lord for the increase in minimum wages and pray for people to have their needs met. • If thou seest the oppression of the poor and violent perverting of judgement and justice in a province, marvel not at the matter: for he that is higher than the highest regardeth; and there is higher that they. Moveover the profit of the earth is for all: the king himself is served by the field." (Eccl. 5:8)
4. U.S.- Iran Tensions Could Trigger War - ABC News
Citing Iranian involvement with Iraqi militias and Tehran's nuclear ambitions, the Bush administration has shifted to offense in its confrontation with Iran building up the U.S. military in the Persian Gulf and promising more aggressive moves against Iranian operatives in Iraq and Lebanon.
• Father, we lift You up above all. We declare You are Sovereign Lord over all the past, present and future. Your enemies are our enemies. Our trust is in You to lead us to overcome our enemies. We ask for Your wisdom and timing in all actions. • "Lead me, O Lord, in thy righteousness because of mine enemies; make thy way straight before my face." (Ps. 5:8) "Deliver me not over unto the will of mine enemies: for false witnesses are risen up against me, and such as breathe out cruelty." (Ps. 27:12)
5. General says U.S. has proof Iran arming Iraqi militias - USA Today
Iran is supplying Iraqi militias with a variety of powerful weapons including Katyusha rockets, the No. 2 U.S. general in Iraq said Tuesday.
• Offer praise that hidden facts are now coming to light regarding Iran's infiltration and influence in Iraq. Continue in prayer until all hidden things have been revealed; and continue to ask our Lord to grant His wisdom to President Bush in response to these reports. • "Call unto Me and I will show thee great and mighty things, that thou knowest not." (Jer. 33:3)
6. Russia considers cooperating with Iran to sell natural gas - Int'l Herald Tribune
Even as the United States intensified its efforts to isolate Iran, President Vladimir Putin said Thursday that Russia would consider OPEC- like cooperation with Iran on sales of natural gas. He stopped short of endorsing price fixing, however, saying he was concerned only with ensuring stable supplies for consuming nations.
• We firmly say, " The Lord of Hosts is judge." • "Wherefore doth the wicked contemn God? he hath said in his heart, Thou wilt not require it." (Ps. 10:13) "Arise, O LORD; let not man prevail: let the heathen be judged in thy sight. Put them in fear, O LORD: that the nations may know themselves to be but men. Selah." (Ps. 9:19-20)
7. U.N. Says 75 Percent Of Stolen Nuclear Material Still Missing - All Headline News
The United Nations nuclear watchdog, the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) has just released its Illicit Trafficking Database (ITDB) for 2006.
• Although man may not know where this nuclear material is located, God DOES. Thank Him for His omniscience in all things, and agree with His Word that every hidden thing would be revealed. Ask Him, too, to post His angels around these nuclear materials, keeping them "safe" until they can be located. Praise God. • "For nothing is hidden, except to be revealed; nor has anything been secret, but that it would come to light." (Mark 4:22) "Bless the LORD, you His angels, who excel in strength, who do His word, heeding the voice of His word." (Psalm 103:20 NKJV)
8. At Least 19 Reported Dead in Florida Storms - AP
Storms carrying the state's deadliest tornado in a decade cut a path across central Florida early Friday, killing at least 19 people, damaging hundreds of homes and leaving more than 10,000 homes without power.
• We join our prayers with yours as we watch this news coming out of Florida. May God comfort those who mourn; encourage those who are afflicted; and strengthen the hands of those who are working to restore order to central Florida. • "Comfort ye, comfort ye, My people," saith the Lord. (Isaiah 40:1)