CHPP Daily Brief - December 31, 2008
· The Daily Brief
· The Middle East in Focus
· Pray for the Persecuted Church
· More Prayers for Israel
Capitol Hill Prayer Partners
P.O. Box 5152
Herndon, VA 20172-1970
The Daily Brief - Wednesday, December 31, 2008
CAPITOL HILL PRAYER PARTNERS WISHES ALL OF OUR FRIENDS A BLESSED NEW YEAR, FILLED WITH THE KNOWLEDGE OF OUR FATHER'S LOVE FOR EACH OF US . . . IN HIS NAME, AMEN.
"Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. . ." (Hebrews 13:8)
The Daily Brief
1. Gov. Blagojevich Appoints former Ill. state AG Burris to fill Obama's Senate Seat - Fox News
Burris Decision Could Lead to Unprecedented Use of Senate Power to Refuse Appointment Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich's appointment of former state Attorney General Roland Burris to fill President- elect Barack Obama's vacant U.S. Senate seat has created a national crisis, say competing interests who nonetheless agree that the Senate needs to be whole when it convenes next week. In the meantime, U.S. Attorney Patrick Fitzgerald is now asking for a 90-day extension to indict Illinois governor on corruption charges.
· Pray, asking for wisdom to be granted to all in authority as this latest constitutional crisis now faces our Government. God will make a way to resolve this issue, if we but ask Him to do so.
· "If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him." (James 1:5)
2. Franken Lead at 49; Minn. Absentees Left to Count - NewsMax
Democratic candidate Al Franken now holds a 49-vote lead over Republican Sen. Norm Coleman in Minnesota's Senate race, but wrangling over inclusion of absentee ballots continued Tuesday and any final determination of a winner was still days or weeks away.
· Continue to offer intercession over this key race. Senator Coleman is a man who stands by Israel and who defends the right to life. His voice is needed in the Senate chamber. It is now likely that this vote will end up in the courts; pray, as above, for wisdom for all in authority.
· "To do what is right and just is more acceptable to the LORD than sacrifice." (Proverbs 21:3)
3. 5-year terrorism threats forecast for U.S. - AP
"The threat of terrorism and the threat of extremist ideologies has not abated," Homeland Security Michael Chertoff said in his year-end address. The terrorism threat to the United States over the next five years will be driven by instability in the Middle East and Africa, persistent challenges to border security and increasing Internet savvy, says a new intelligence assessment obtained by The Associated Press. Chemical, biological, radiological and nuclear attacks are considered a threat to the USA.
· Continue to pray for the security of the USA - for angelic protection of our borders, for shrewd and divine alertness of our intelligence, for committed citizens who will stand for this country, for leadership that wants to protect the USA and not sell our country to foreign powers in the name of globalization, and for revival of America in Jesus Christ.
· "But the salvation of the righteous is from the Lord; He is their strength in time of trouble." (Psalm 37:39)
4. Incoming European Union President: Israel is Right - (IsraelNN.com)
The Czech Republic, which takes over the European Union's rotating presidency this week, takes Israel's side in the conflict with Hamas. Czech Foreign Minister Karel Schwarzenberg, who will become the EU's president for the coming six months, told the Mlada Fronta Dnes daily newspaper that Hamas had excluded itself from serious political debate due to its rocket attacks on Israel. He also indirectly blamed the terrorist group for its own growing death toll by placing its military bases and gun warehouses in densely populated areas. "Let us realize one thing," Schwarzenberg said. "Hamas steeply increased the number of rockets fired at Israel since the ceasefire ended on December 19. That is not acceptable any more." He further said, "Why am I one of the few that have expressed understanding for Israel? . . . I enjoy the luxury of telling the truth." Schwarzenberg has said that he will work for closer relations between the EU and Israel.
· Wow! Praise the Lord for this declaration from the new president of the EU. We know that God's hand is at work, giving time for the great revival to take place not only in America but around the world. Ask the Lord to greatly bless the Czech Republic for developing a leader who can make such a strong statement in an organization that is afraid of the Moslem world. Pray for the protection of Karel Schwarzenberg.
· "Great is the Lord and mighty in power; His understanding is infinite. The Lord lifts up the humble; He casts the wicked down to the ground." (Psalm 147:5,6)
5. a. Ahmadinejad Christmas speech annoys U.K. government - Reuters
The British government has rebuked broadcaster Channel 4 for airing a Christmas message from Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, whose previous dismissal of the Holocaust and refusal to abandon the pursuit of a nuclear capability have caused international dismay.
b. Axis of Evil gifts: ICBMs from N. Korea to Iran - World Tribune
The U.S. intelligence community has concluded that North Korea could export intercontinental ballistic missiles or technology to Iran over the next year.
· Lord, we pray that there will be an awakening for those who are supporting Iran and who are encouraging the evil that Ahmadinejad spreads. May the world see the plans of the wicked and stand firm against them.
· You brood of vipers, how can you, being evil, speak what is good? For the mouth speaks out of that which fills the heart. (Matthew 12:34)
6. Zimbabwe cholera deaths pass 1,500 - CNN
The number of cholera deaths in Zimbabwe continues to increase, a World Health Organization spokesman said Monday. As of Sunday, the outbreak had killed 1,564 people, and 29,131 cases had been reported, Gregory Hartl told CNN. These figures represent increases from numbers released Thursday that showed 1,518 deaths and 26,497 cases.
· The pain of this nation seems to continue and it tears at our hearts, Lord. We pray for improved sanitation and for resources and strength for Your children who are working so hard to support the tired citizens of Zimbabwe. We pray that justice will reign and that Mugabe will step aside so that this nation can heal.
· Those who are sickly you have not strengthened, the diseased you have not healed, the broken you have not bound up, the scattered you have not brought back, nor have you sought for the lost; but with force and with severity you have dominated them. (Ezekiel 34:4)
7. Dictator Stalin Voted Third-Greatest Russian Historical Figure - Fox News
A Russian state television network says Soviet dictator Josef Stalin, who sent millions to their deaths in the Great Purge of the 1930s, has been voted the country's third-greatest historical figure.
· It is incomprehensible that people would support a mass murderer, but this survey shows that Russia has disintegrated and that the Russian people are forgetting the pain of the past. We pray that their eyes will be opened and they will remember the 20 million Stalin murdered so that they do not allow this to happen again.
· Do not envy a man of violence And do not choose any of his ways. (Proverbs 3:31)
8. Russian volcano erupts - reuters.com/news
The Koryakski volcano to the far east of Russia has started to erupt emitting ash which could threaten local populations. The Kamchatka Koryakski volcano's last major eruption occurred 3,5 thousand years ago. Scientists now predict an even more damaging and far-reaching eruption.
· The earth is groaning in anticipation of the return of Jesus Christ to rule and reign. Pray for the people who live in the region of this volcano along the Pacific rim - that they know Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior and that they will be divinely protected. Lay your hands on a map of this part of the world.
· "Let all the earth fear the Lord; let the inhabitants of the world stand in awe of Him, for He spoke, and it was done." (Psalm 33:8,9a)
9. World Says Goodbye to Rocky Year - Fox News
Amid jubilation and celebration, relief is felt around the world as a tumultuous 2008 comes to a close.
· Join us in praising the LORD for His goodness to His people throughout the year just past, and His promise to continue to sustain us in the year ahead. We thank Him that He IS "the stability of our times."
· "Cast your burden upon the LORD and He will sustain you; He will never allow the righteous to be shaken." (Psalm 55:22)
The Middle East in Focus
The Middle East in Focus This week, for all the headlines cited below, please join us in proclaiming THIS DECREE:
"Through God we will do valiantly, For it is He who shall tread down our enemies." (Psalm 108:13)
1. IAF strikes Haniyeh's Gaza office - Jerusalem Post
Hamas flexed its muscles Tuesday night and fired two rockets into Beersheba as Defense Minister Ehud Barak asked for government approval to call up an additional 2,500 reservists ahead of a planned ground operation in the Gaza Strip.
2. Israel posts video of Gaza air strikes on YouTube - AFP
The Israeli military has launched its own channel on video-sharing website YouTube, posting footage of air strikes and other attacks on Hamas militants in the Gaza Strip.
3. Olmert and Barak appear split on Paris cease- fire offer - Jerusalem Post
Prime Minister Ehud Olmert and Defense Minister Ehud Barak appeared split Tuesday on whether to accept a French proposal for a 48-hour suspension of the IDF offensive against Hamas to allow Paris the opportunity to mediate a cease-fire.
4. Behind closed doors, U.S. seeks Israel exit strategy - LA Times
While publicly declaring strong support for Israel, the Bush administration is increasingly nervous about the 4-day-old campaign in the Gaza Strip and is urging its ally to settle on a timetable and exit strategy, say foreign diplomats and Middle East experts close to the discussions.
Pray for the Persecuted Church
Congo groups: 400 massacred on Xmas day - CNN
A Catholic aid organization operating in the Democratic Republic of Congo and the country's government have accused Uganda-based rebels of massacring 400 civilians during Christmas celebrations last week. The United Nations peacekeeping force in Congo put the death toll at 189 and said the Lord's Resistance Army rebels also abducted 20 children.
· We wonder who is the "Lord" in this resistance army that would prompt soldiers without consciences to massacre their country men. Bind this strong man who has become dominant in the minds of this "army.' Pray for godly leadership in the Congo and for the Ugandan government to weed out these rebels.
· "Rescue me and deliver me from the hands of foreigners. whose mouths are full of lies, whose right hands are deceitful." (Psalm 144:11)
More Prayers for Israel
[Note: when the war broke out in Israel/Gaza this past weekend, we received a prayer guide from a ministry on the land: Tents of Mercy. Their comments follow, with their prayer points at the end. Please join us tonight in praying with them and for them, as requested. They can be reached at: firstname.lastname@example.org]
The IDF ground incursion that the Israeli government has wanted to avoid, but Hamas has been begging for, seems imminent. After an end-of-the-"truce" Hamas rocket rain on Israel's southern cities, our air force struck the Gaza strip hard. Somehow we must knock out Hamas' capacity to bombard our population at will.
Among the many soldiers being readied for this action is our 20 year old son, Avi, together with Messianic believers from our congregation and others around the country. So we are asking you to join us, along with all the families of Israel's troops, in concentrated prayer. Here are a few points upon which we ask you to agree with us:
* Supernatural safety and angelic protection for each soldier.
* Divine guidance for all government and military leaders making decisions---both large and small.
* Disruption in the Hamas ranks---confusion, miscommunication, arms failure, exposure of weapons caches, key leaders immobilized.
* Swift, decisive succuss with minimum civilian casualties and maximum debilitation of Hamas.
* Ultimate removal of terrorist control in Gaza.* A safety wall surrounding Yeshua's followers inside Gaza.
Thank you for devoting significant time to this intercession. We know that their are major spiritual forces involved. At the same time, on the most basic human level, our hearts long for the well-being of our young men, even as we kow that their just duty is to defend the people of Israel.