The Middle East in Focus
The White House in Transition
Religious Hostility on Display at U.S. Capitol
YWCA Proudly Supports Abortion
Urgent Prayer for GHANA
King Herod's Tomb May Be Found
Capitol Hill Prayer Partners
P.O. Box 5152
Herndon, VA 20172-1970
more) (By Jennifer Mesko, Editor, CitizenLink)
"Salvation belongs to our God, who sits on the throne, and to the Lamb." (Revelation 7:10)
The Daily Brief
1. Georgia Sen. Saxby Chambliss Wins Re- election in Runoff - Fox News
Georgia Republican Sen. Saxby Chambliss handed the GOP a firewall against Democrats eager to flex their newfound political muscle in Washington, winning a bruising runoff battle Tuesday night that had captured the national limelight. Chambliss' victory thwarted Democrats' hopes of winning a 60 seat filibuster-proof majority in the Senate.It came after a bitter month long runoff against Democrat Jim Martin that drew political luminaries from both parties to the state and flooded the airwaves with fresh attack ads weeks after campaigns elsewhere had ended. With 70 percent of the precincts reporting, Chambliss captured 60 percent to Martin's 40 percent. Chambliss' win is a rare bright spot for Republicans in a year where they lost the White House as well as seats in the House and the Senate.
· Praise the Lord that this Republican win of the Georgia seat for the US Senate prevents runaway voting on the Senate floor for various bills. A check in the balance of power is almost always beneficial, forcing thoughtful consideration before the passage or voting down of any bill. Debate often brings about more excellent thinking than sheer control by any political party. Pray for Senator Chambliss so that his mind is clear and his thinking is based on the Word of God.
· "Only be thou strong and very courageous, that thou mayest observe to do according to all the law . . . turn not from it to the right hand or to the left, that thou mayest prosper whithersoever thou goest." (Joshua 1:7)
2. Atheists want God, Bible out of homeland security law - USA Today
A group of atheists filed a lawsuit Tuesday seeking to remove part of a state anti-terrorism law that requires Kentucky's Office of Homeland Security to acknowledge it can't keep the state safe without God's help.
· Pray for the state of Kentucky so that its recognition of God's help in protecting its land is upheld. Let the atheists take their petition to the Lord if they don't want His help. Pray that all states will follow the example of Kentucky.
· "The foolish shall not stand in Thy sight: Thou hatest all the workers of iniquity." (Psalm 5:5)
3. Abortions linked to mental illness - Telegraph co.uk
Women who have an abortion are 30 per cent more likely to develop a mental illness, research has shown. They are also three times more likely to develop a drug or alcohol addiction compared with other women, another report claimed. It comes as the number of women having an abortion in England and Wales exceeded 200,000 for the first time last year. More abortions - 57,000 - were carried out on women aged 20 to 24 than any other age group. There were 4,400 on the under-16s. A study of 500 women published in the British Journal of Psychiatry showed that anxiety and drug abuse are the most common mental problems following an abortion.
· Pray for these women who have had abortions, both here in the USA and in the rest of the world. They do not know that the Lord can deliver them from their stress-causing behaviors and will forgive them. Do all you can to persuade any woman you know to never submit to having an abortion. What irony - abortions, according to the world, are supposed to aid the health of a woman, not defile it. Surely we can instead trust the Lord and His Word.
· "Deliver me in Thy righteousness, and cause me to escape: Incline Thine ear unto me, and save me." (Psalm 71:2)
4. Conservatives Upset with Episcopal Church Break Off, Form Rival Religion - Fox News
Conservatives within the Episcopal Church angered by the liberal views of the church's leaders plan to form a rival denomination. The new Anglican Church in North America will include four Episcopal dioceses that recently split from the U.S. church, along with breakaway Anglican parishes from Canada. "The time for the recognition of a new Anglican body in North America had arrived," Bishop Robert Duncan of Pittsburgh said last month. As the moderator of Common Cause Partnership, a group of more than 100,000 Anglican Christians in North America, Bishop said the group would release its draft constitution on Wednesday. "The public release of our draft constitution is an important concrete step toward the goal of a biblical, missionary and united Anglican Church in North America," he said.
· Praise the Lord that most of the Episcopal congregations in the USA have taken a stand based on God's Word and separated themselves from those engaged in what the Lord calls "abomination." How beautiful when men trust in the Word of the Lord and forsake cultural thinking. Pray for the new Episcopal churches that they prosper and reach out to their fellows who have abandoned the Lord.
· "For all things are for your sakes, that the abundant grace might through the thanksgiving of many rebound to the glory of God." (2 Corinthians 4:15)
5. NATO Ministers Agree to New Russia Talks - Wall Street Journal
NATO foreign ministers agreed to gradually resume talks with Russia that were frozen after Moscow's August invasion of Georgia.
· Ask the Lord to cause the NATO ministers to consider all the ramifications of these talks and to yield nothing to Russia that might harm other nations.
· "Rescue me, O LORD, from evil men; protect me from men of violence, who devise evil plans in their hearts and stir up war every day." (Psalm 140:1,2)
The Middle East in Focus
The Middle East in Focus This week, for all the headlines cited below, please join us in proclaiming THIS DECREE:
"Arise, shine; for your light has come! And the glory of the LORD is risen upon you. For behold, the darkness shall cover the earth, and deep darkness the people; but the LORD will arise over you, and His glory will be seen upon you." (Isaiah 60:1-2)
1. Iran dismisses Israeli military threats as 'psychological warfare' - Ha'aretz
Iran's Foreign Ministry on Monday sought to downplay efforts by Israel to halt its nuclear program, saying that while Tehran does not take military threats emanating from Jerusalem seriously, it is fully prepared to respond in the event of an attack.
2. PA to purge Hamas-controlled councils - Jerusalem Post
The Palestinian Authority is planning to replace all the Hamas-controlled municipalities and village councils in the West Bank in the coming weeks, PA officials in Ramallah told The Jerusalem Post on Tuesday.
3. Barak: Leave IDF out of political debate - Ynet News
Defense Minister Ehud Barak urged West Bank settlers on Tuesday to "leave the IDF out of the political debate."
The White House in Transition
1. Clinton's Confirmation May Spark Constitutional Battle - Fox News
The biggest obstacle facing Hillary Clinton's Senate confirmation as President-elect Barack Obama's top diplomat may not be her husband's wheeling and dealing abroad for his foundation, as many suspected. Instead, it could be the U.S. Constitution. According to an emolument clause in the Constitution, no lawmaker can be appointed to any civil position that was created or received a wage increase during the lawmaker's time in office. President Bush ordered Cabinet salaries raised to $191,300 from $186,600 by executive order early this year, while Clinton was senator.
"My understanding is that does prohibit her unless they can find some way around it and I gather that they have in the past," former Secretary of State Lawrence Eagleburger. "This isn't the first time this has come up," he said, referring to appointees of other presidents, including Presidents Nixon and Clinton. "Maybe she has to renounce the salary increase but I'm sure they'll find a way around it."
· Gracious Lord, we ask You to be the only Judge of who should serve in our nation's White House and Administration. Before time began, You knew who would be the 44th President of the United States of America and who would serve in their administration. Please continue to reveal Your plans for America and her leadership. For Your Glory and Honor we pray this. Amen.
· "The Lord makes poor and makes rich; He brings low and lifts up. He raises the poor from the dust and lifts the beggar from the ash heap, to set them among princes and make them inherit the throne of glory. " (1 Samuel 2: 7-8 NKJV)
2. Pro-Amnesty Activist Joins Obama White House Staff - CNS News
An 18-year veteran of the National Council of La Raza (NCLR), who advocated for federal legislation to give the estimated 12 million illegal immigrants in the United States a path to citizenship, has been tapped for President-elect Barack Obama's White House staff. Cecilia Muñoz, who currently serves as senior vice president for the office of research, advocacy and legislation at the NCLR, will serve as director for intergovernmental affairs in the Obama administration. Obama announced the appointment of Muñoz and Jonathan Favreau as director of speechwriting last week. In her new post, Muñoz will be responsible for managing relations between the Obama administration and state and local governments. She is a first-generation American whose parents came to the United States from Bolivia.
· Dear Lord, we pray that You will be consulted and glorified in any appointments to the administration of America's next President. In Jesus' Name we pray. Amen.
· "The king's heart is in the hand of the Lord, like the rivers of water; He turns it wherever He wishes." (Proverbs 21: 1 NKJV)
3. Obama, DNC elude citizenship lawsuit deadline - WorldNetDaily
President-elect Barack Obama and the Democratic National Convention have let a Dec. 1 deadline slip by without responding to Pennsylvania attorney Philip J. Berg's petition for writ of certiorari demanding Obama produce a legitimate birth certificate to document his eligibility for office.
· Pray that the Supreme Court Justices demand that Barack Obama and the DNC produce the birth certificate without delay. Are the citizens of America to endure the thumbing of the nose? Have Americans forgotten that our government exists "of the people, by the people, and for the people?"
· "Arise, O Lord: O God, lift up Thine head; forget not the humble." (Psalm 10:12)
4. Fox News, Russia's Pravda Report On Obama Birth Question/ Eligibility - Fox News and Pravda
Fox News Reporter Brett Baier reported Tuesday that people are questioning Obama about his birth in a news piece titled: "Obama Citizen Of the World." Also, Russian newspaper Pravda reported: "Barry Sotero, AKA Barack Obama, along with the Democratic National Committee and the Federal Election Commission have successfully ignored a Federal Lawsuit asking him to produce a valid Birth Certificate. When the time to respond to that lawsuit expired, under Federal Court Rules, they all admitted that he was not a citizen of The United States of America and deemed to have committed fraud. A normal man would have been found to have admitted he was not a US citizen. . .
· Thank You Lord for allowing others to see that there is clarification needed as to where Senator Obama's birth certificate is located and that it needs to be presented before he can Constitutionally take office as the next President of the United States. Please allow this to happen for Your glory and honor. In Jesus' Name we pray. Amen.
· "For the eyes of the Lord run to and fro throughout the whole earth, to show Himself strong on behalf of those whose heart is loyal to Him." (2 Chronicles 16:9 a,b NKJV)
Religious Hostility on Display at U.S. Capitol
Yesterday, the U.S. Capitol unveiled what one congressman has called a "$600 million godless pit," a palatial underground visitors' center which is at the heart of an ongoing debate over the place of America's religious heritage in the nation's capital. Not only does the basement of the House and Senate's home have new galleries, theaters, and gift shops, but, as 108 congressmen rightly argue, it should also include an honest and complete portrayal of America's religious roots.
Initially, planners had scrubbed references to "In God We Trust," the Pledge of Allegiance, and the Founders' faith. The Architect of the Capitol, who is responsible for the renovations, came under fire from the building's own residents, the U.S. Congress, for omitting such basic references to the Almighty. Although some of the concerns were addressed before the center opened this afternoon, dozens of leaders and organizations like FRC are still troubled by the politically correct nature of the exhibits, which are historically incorrect.
Rep. Randy Forbes (R-Va.) and Sen. Jim DeMint (R- S.C.) have been the most vocal opponents of this spiritual "whitewashing" of America's most recognizable symbol. A last-minute plaster job tries, poorly, to hide the inaccurate reference to "E Pluribus Unum" as our national motto ("In God We Trust" was established by Congress as the national motto in 1956). Even the U.S. Constitution is said to be grossly misrepresented in the exhibit. As the Heritage Foundation's Matt Spalding writes, the excerpts on display are a "temple to liberals' 'living Constitution.'"
We join the chorus of citizens, who, as patrons of this Visitors Center, demand fidelity to the Founders and a more accurate portrayal of the important role of faith in American life. To help sound the alarm, contact your congressmen and ask them to restore Christianity to its place of prominence in the U.S. Capitol. (Family Research Council)
YWCA Proudly Supports Abortion
Organization with Christian roots embraces the overreaching Freedom of Choice Act.
The Young Women's Christian Association (YWCA) is celebrating its 150th anniversary this year. For most of those years, it did not champion abortion rights. Yet, CEO Dr. Lorraine Cole now is claiming her group has "always been pro-choice" and even supports the Freedom of Choice Act (FOCA), CNSNews.com reported. FOCA could nullify virtually every state, local and federal pro-life law. The YWCA adopted a pro-abortion position in 1967 and reaffirmed that position in 1988, CNSNews reported. (Read
[The following prayer and commentary was sent in by Mary Fox Murphy, Founder and President of Christian Women's Outreach, Incorporated; Stillwater, OK.)
--In light of the YWCA support of abortion, please go to prayer for this. If it requires a boycott of the organization or praying for the removal of funds, causing people to stop their giving and support, then so be it. Ask forgiveness for all involved for the deception that they have believed--they really don't know what they are doing. As you remit their sins to the Lord, He can go to work in their lives.
Father, we ask that one by one, you put every person in this world-wide organization under the conviction of the Holy Spirit--convicting them of murder by their flippant belief in the abortion process. We ask that you then make them responsible for what You have imparted to them and that their opinions will change. In His Holy Name, we pray, Amen.
(Please note: Obama has vowed to sign into law The Freedom of Choice Act, which sanctions all kinds of abortion. He has said this would be one of his first assignments. What an awful and terrifying thing to which to sign your name!! Signing his name to a murder document is atrocious. Forgive him, Lord, because he truly does not know what he is doing. Ask the Lord to stop him from placing his name on this bill. Lord, convict him of this sin.)
Urgent Prayer for GHANA
Pray for Ghana's 5th General Democratic Presidential ElectionVoters Go to the Polls This Sunday, December 7th
In Ghana, where elections are being held this Sunday, December 7, some members of the public have raised concerns over the possibility of violence during the impending presidential and parliamentary elections. Already a few clashes have been reported among some supporters of the two dominant parties, the New Patriotic Party and the National Democratic Congress. (Voice of America)
· In this election, President Kaffour is trying to hold onto his seat; and the oppostion leader, Mr. Rawlings, is fighting to defeat him. According to one pastor in Ghana, "Anywhere in his campaigns, Rawlings threatens Ghanaians for war if they donʼt vote his party to power. . . War is not a welcome friend; war is destruction and devastating to every nation."
Elections in three other African nations this year have brought bloodshed: Kenya, Zimbabwe, and Nigeria. Lift up the elections in Ghana in prayer on Sunday, asking our Lord to intervene to quell any emotions that would lead to violence, that that land might yet live in peace. Amen.
· "I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone- for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness." (I Timothy 2:1,2)
King Herod's Tomb Almost Certainly Found
The remains of a sarcophagus believed to be King Herod's on display during a press conference at the Hebrew University in Jerusalem. Israeli archaeologists excavating what they believe is the tomb of biblical King Herod said Wednesday they have unearthed lavish Roman-style wall paintings of a kind previously unseen in the Middle East and signs of a regal two-story mausoleum, bolstering their conviction that the Jewish monarch was buried here.
Ehud Netzer, head of the team from Jerusalem's Hebrew University, which uncovered the site at the king's winter palace in the Judean desert in 2007, said his latest finds show work and funding fit for a king. "What we found here, spread all around, are architectural fragments that enable us to restore a monument of 25 meters high, 75 feet high, very elegant, which fits Herod's taste and status," he told The Associated Press at the hillside dig in an Israeli- controlled part of the West Bank, south of Jerusalem. Herod is known for extensive building throughout the Holy Land.
Netzer said that since finding fragments of one ornately carved sarcophagus in 2007, he and his team have found two more, suggesting that the monumental tomb may have been a royal family vault. Netzer described the winter palace, built on a largely man-made hill 680 meters (2,230 feet) high, as a kind of "country club", with a pool, baths, gardens fed by pools and aqueducts and a 650-seat theater. (Fox News)
· Again the Lord is revealing the actuality of Biblical sites, proving that the Bible is accurate in its accounts. Each new find proves the Moslems wrong when they try to say that Israel never existed before 1948. Give thanks to the Lord for His never failing truth. It is now time for each of us to ask the Lord to improve our evangelistic skills, for the days of Jesus' return are close.
· "Go ye, therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost." (Matthew 28:19)