|The Daily Brief|
1. Royal Bank of Scotland issues global stock and credit crash alert - London Telegraph
The Royal Bank of Scotland has advised clients to brace for a full-fledged crash in global stock and credit markets over the next three months as inflation paralyses the major central banks. "A very nasty period is soon to be upon us - be prepared," said Bob Janjuah, the bank's credit strategist.
· For those of us who live with very modest incomes, headlines like these can certainly trigger a panic. But our Lord has not given us the spirit of fear, but of power and of love, and of a sound mind. As citizens of His heavenly kingdom, we can be calm, knowing that our Father WILL make a way where there seems to be no way for each of us to make it through these turbulent times. Let us rest in His arms of love, even as we remain watchful . . . and let us win as many to Him as we can, while there is yet time.
· "He divided the sea and led them through; he made the water stand firm like a wall." (Psalm 78:13)
2. Deals with Iraq are set to bring oil giants back - Int'l Herald Tribune
Four Western oil companies are in the final stages of negotiations this month on contracts that will return them to Iraq, 36 years after losing their oil concession to nationalization as Saddam Hussein rose to power.
· Offer praise for this report! The world worries about "sustainability," but our God promises to provide, according to His riches in glory through Christ Jesus.
· "And my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus." (Phil. 4:19)
3. McCain Calls for Building 45 New Nuclear Reactors - ABC News
Sen. John McCain called Wednesday for the construction of 45 new nuclear reactors by 2030 and pledged $2 billion a year in federal funds "to make clean coal a reality," measures designed to reduce dependence on foreign oil.
· Offer praise for these proposals, and ask our Lord to grant His wisdom to other members of the House and the Senate as, together, we tackle this challenge of making America an energy-independent nation.
· "If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him." (James 1:5)
4. House Democrats call for nationalization of refineries - Fox News
House Democrats responded to President's Bush's call for Congress to lift the moratorium on offshore drilling, by calling for the government to own refineries so it could better control the flow of the oil supply.
· Easy does it! There is much more to this complex issue than meets the eye, and "quick fixes" like this may not be the wisest course. Please see the Daily Jot (below) for more thoughts on this headline. Then . . . PRAY!
· "Pray without ceasing . . ." (I Thess. 5:17)
5. US Nuclear weapons parts missing, Pentagon says - Financial Times
The US military cannot locate hundreds of sensitive nuclear missile components, according to several government officials familiar with a Pentagon report on nuclear safeguards.
· Pray in the spirit over this report. May God grant great wisdom now to all who are in authority over these nuclear weapons and their component parts. And may He send His angels to safeguard us, when men's plans fall short!
· "For there is nothing hidden which will not be revealed, nor has anything been kept secret but that it should come to light." (Msrk 4:22)
6. Two More Levees Break in Western Illinois, Floodwaters Threaten Residents and Farmland - Fox News
Floodwaters breached two levees in western Illinois on Wednesday and threatened more Mississippi River towns in Missouri after inundating much of Iowa for the past week.
· We continue to hover in prayer over the ongoing reports of these floods and their devastating damage to our heartland. Now that President Bush has visited some of the affected cities, ask our Lord to grant him and other officials in Homeland Security -- at the federal, state, and local levels -- great and unusual wisdom as they attempt to respond to this catastrophe. Pray in particular for those who are now homeless, that adequate temporary shelters might be found for each family until permanent plans can be made for their housing.
· "'Comfort ye, comfort ye, My people,' saith the Lord." (Isaiah 40:1)
|The Middle East in Focus|
The Middle East in Focus
This week, for all the headlines cited below, please join us in proclaiming THIS DECREE:
"Moreover you shall provide out of all the people able men, such as fear God: men of truth, hating unjust gain; and place such over them, to be rulers." (Exodus 18:21)
1. Final stage of Gaza truce may include multinational Arab force - Jerusalem Post
The deployment of a multinational Arab force in Gaza as a final stage of the truce that was set to begin Thursday morning is being discussed at the highest levels of government, The Jerusalem Post has learned.
2. Gaza ceasefire takes effect - Ynet News
The Egyptian brokered ceasefire between Israel and the Gaza Strip terror groups came into effect at 6:00 am Thursday morning.
3. Rocket barrages day before truce: Sderot house hit; IDF retaliates - Ynet News
Despite the formal announcements from Jerusalem, Gaza and Cairo announcing the ceasefire agreement will go into effect at 6:00 am on Thursday, it was the routine of incessant attacks Israel's South awoke to on Wednesday. In the most recent attack a house in Sderot was hit directly, and ten residents suffered from shock. A woman lightly injured her leg while running for cover.
4. Olmert: Israel isn't far from direct talks with Syria - Ynet News
Prime Minister Ehud Olmert was quoted as saying Wednesday that his country is not far away from direct peace talks with Syria.
5. Jordan not thrilled by the idea of an independent, Hamas-controlled Palestinian state - World Tribune
Jordan has quietly let the Bush White House know it is concerned over the prospect of an independent Palestinian state in the West Bank.
6. Report: IAEA has proof Syria built nuclear reactor - Ynet News
The website of the French news agency Le Monde reported that information originating in different countries other than the US and suggesting that Syria did indeed build a nuclear reactor in Al Kibar, was handed over to the International Atomic Energy Association (IAEA) recently.
|Today's Daily Jot|
How the Godless Govern:
Nationalizing Oil Companies To Control Its Population
America is in big trouble and the debate over how to solve the oil crisis has exposed to the world why. There are communists and socialists running Congress and the American people have to date refused to do anything about it. In the wake of President Bush and Republican presidential nominee to be, Senator John McCain, calling for Congress to lift the ban on offshore and Alaska drilling for oil, Democratic Congressmen went on a rant about why that's a bad idea. They started by spinning their message against the oil companies to the news media--that the oil companies have over 60 million acres of land to drill on and they haven't used it. Then they attacked the GOP for being the "Gas and Oil Party."
These were all good sound bites for the media and play well into the already preconceived notion held by Americans that the oil companies and their windfall profits are to blame for the current record gas prices. The Democrats want to tax those profits as if that will lower prices at the pump--it will not, those types of taxes would just be passed along to the poor American sot who elected the Democratic communists in the first place. But Fox News captured the real intent of the Democratic Party with regard to the oil crisis--nationalizing the oil companies.
At an off-camera briefing by the Democratic leadership, Democrats called for the government to own the oil refineries so as to better control the oil supply. New York Democratic Congressman Maurice Hinchey, one of the most ardent opponents of off shore drilling, told reporters, "We (the government) should own the refineries. Then we can control how much gets out into the market." Fox News reported that the Democratic leadership agreed, including House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer of Maryland. It is a great media ploy to grandstand by blaming Republicans and oil companies for the current oil crisis, but it is the Democrats who have blocked drilling at the most productive, most economic places-- such as off shore and in Alaska.
Now the Democratic leadership is saying that they want to use this crisis to foment government ownership of oil companies so the government can control how much oil and gas can be bought by American citizens. Communism and Socialism lacks social responsibility because it requires no belief in God. Now there are some communists and socialists who claim belief in God and call themselves communitarians. This nation was founded on the premise of free enterprise as governed by the Godly-- meaning believers in the God of the Bible. Jesus Christ said in Matthew 24:4, "Take heed that no man deceive you." A godless man is indeed deceived, but what does that say about those of us who elect him to govern over us?
Word of Life Ministry
|TheCall DC - August 16|
TheCall DC - August 16
'God Has a Dream!'
The following invitation is from our friend, Lou Engle, Founder of the Justice House of Prayer in Washington, DC. For several years, Lou has traveled America, tirelessly calling men, women boys and girls to extraordinary prayer for our nation. We support Lou in his effort to organize a massive Solemn Assembly here in Washington, DC on August 16, 2008. Please take time to read the message below and to consider Lou's invitation (See video of Lou speaking to pastors at FRC Headquarters in Washington DC):
A brief glance at the headlines of our daily newspapers exposes the frailty of the moral fabric of our nation as the corruption of sin digs its claws deeper and deeper into the hearts and minds of our young people. The serpentine stranglehold of abortion continues to squeeze the life out of over 1.6 million wombs every year in our nation, wiping out nearly one- third of an entire generation born since 1973.
The growing slave trade of pornography, homosexuality, human trafficking, and sexual perversion--not only accepted by the culture, but now shamelessly promoted by it--has claimed countless young men and women, pilfering the Kingdom of the Lord's inheritance. 2008 is an incredibly important year in the history of our nation--politically, culturally and economically. We are truly in an hour of crisis. In the midst of it all, God is calling His people back to Himself. Now is the time to sound the alarm! Who will hear His cry?
In the year 2000, 400,000 people, young and old, gathered on the National Mall in Washington, DC to fast and pray, believing the dream that a nation can change. That gathering and many others have marked tens of thousands of young people, inciting a prayer revolution and inspiring a dream in their hearts that they could be a voice for real change. Now, the nation is in crisis again and we feel it is time for TheCall to go to a national scale in another historic gathering in our nation's capital.
TheCall isn't a conference or a festival; it is a solemn assembly--a gathering of all ages, races and denominations. The 12 hours of TheCall are spent primarily before the Lord in the place of prayer and worship. We believe the hour is late and the time's urgent. Our nation is in desperate need of revival. We're seeing the signs of God moving, but we do not have what we need. We have to have a full-scale revival break loose, and it will be only through the collective body of Christ uniting together in the place of prayer that we will find any hope in this hour. We must strike, strike and strike again until we have widespread revival!
When there is no remedy, when there is no hope for a nation, God still has a holy prescription . . . "Blow the trumpet in Zion , gather the people, call a fast." (Joel 2:12-18)
Will you join us for TheCall DC, August 16th on the National Mall in Washington, DC to cry out with fasting and prayer that the dream of God may yet be fulfilled for this nation?
For more information, visit TheCall.com and watch TheCall's 3-minute Promo Video.
See you at the National Mall on August 16th!
Tony Perkins, President
Family Research Council