Today's Daily Brief
1. Nuclear Attack On D.C. A Hypothetical Disaster - Washington Times
A nuclear device detonated near the White House would kill roughly 100,000 people and flatten downtown federal buildings, while the radioactive plume from the explosion would likely spread toward the Capitol and into Southeast D.C., contaminating thousands more.
· We pray to You, Lord, as our Protector. We ask that the media and those who devise these nuclear attack scenarios to stop mainstream publication of their findings so that those who seek to harm America will not be armed with more strategies on how to destroy us. May Israel, America and Israel's allies be saved unto You, and from more devastation for Your Glory. In Your Son's Holy Name we ask these things. Amen.
· May we as intercessors, claim these protective words for our nation's Capitol that You spoke to Your servant, Paul: "Now the Lord spoke to Paul in the night by a vision, 'Do not be afraid, but speak, and do not keep silent; for I am with you, and no one will attack you to hurt you; for I have many people in this city.'" (Acts 18: 9-10 NKJV)
2. Pope Addresses Sex Abuse During Open Air Washington D.C. Mass - Fox News
The pope addressed the tens of thousands gathered at Washington Nationals stadium, characterizing America as a "country of hope" and calling on the virtue of forgiveness to help heal the pain caused by the sex abuse scandals involving American clergy.
· Lord as the Pope attempts to bring healing to Catholics, we pray that the wind of Your Spirit will bring forgiveness and healing to all of America. Across all denominations, all groups, both religious and secular, we humbly ask that You will forgive and heal our sins, and show Yourself as the God of mercy and forgiveness. May there be a harvest of souls for your Kingdom!
· "Have mercy upon me, O God, according to Your lovingkindness; according to the multitude of Your tender mercies, blot out my transgressions." (Psalm 51:1)
3. Pennsylvania Sen. Arlen Specter's cancer has returned - AP
The five-time Republican said in a statement released by his office Tuesday that he was diagnosed with an early recurrence of Hodgkin's disease, which is a cancer of the lymph system.
· Father we pray for Senator Specter's complete healing. May he find his comfort and trust in You alone at this time.
· "For I am the Lord who heals you." (Exodus 15:26b)
4. Mental Health Injuries Scar 300,000 Troops - AP
Some 300,000 U.S. troops are suffering from major depression or post traumatic stress from serving in the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, and 320,000 received brain injuries, a new study estimates.
· Lord we ask that Your mercy and healing touch would come to our troops who have been suffering from brain injuries and mental issues. Grant them the gift of healing, grant them the gift of faith.
· "O Lord my God, I cried out to you, and You healed me." (Psalm 30:2)
5. Chief Executive of Largest Student Lender Calls for Intervention - Reuters
Sallie Mae, the largest U.S. student loan company, on Thursday affirmed its 2008 profit forecast, but warned of a "train wreck" in the $85 billion education financing market without urgent government intervention.
· Lord the education of our youth is the future of our nation. We repent for allowing their education to be without wisdom or the knowledge of You. We ask that in Your mercy, You will allow our children the ability to obtain higher degrees while changing the educational system toward balanced and truthful learning that acknowledges You.
· "For the Lord gives wisdom; from His mouth comes knowledge and understanding." (Proverbs 2:6)
6. As Australia dries, a global shortage of rice - Int'l Herald Tribune
The collapse of Australia's rice production is one of several factors contributing to a doubling of rice prices in the last three months -- increases that have led the world's largest exporters to restrict exports severely, spurred panicked hoarding in Hong Kong and the Philippines, and set off violent protests in countries including Cameroon, Egypt, Ethiopia, Haiti, Indonesia, Italy, Ivory Coast, Mauritania, the Philippines, Thailand, Uzbekistan and Yemen.
· If ever there were a time in the history of man to trust in the LORD for our provision, it is now. Ask Him for the impossible, for His Word is true and does not lie; ask Him to help feed the nations. More importantly, as we ask for a harvest of rice, let us ask for a harvest of SOULS in the nations named in this report. May the peoples of these lands find new life in our Savior, and may they learn to trust in Him in these perilous times.
· 'The Lord is gracious and full of compassion; He has given food to those who fear Him; He will ever be mindful of His covenant." (Psalm 11:4,5)
The Middle East in Focus
This week, for all the headlines cited below, please join us in proclaiming THIS DECREE:
"Remember these, O Jacob and Israel; for you are My servant: I have formed you; you are My servant: O Israel, you shall not be forgotten of Me." (Isaiah 44:21)
1. Messianic Jews Claim Victory in Israeli Court - CBN News
The Supreme Court of Israel ruled Wednesday that being a Messianic Jew cannot prevent Israeli citizenship if the Jewish descent is from the person's father's side.
· "Let every thing that hath breath praise the Lord. Praise ye the Lord!" (Psalm 150:6)
2. Police on high alert ahead of Passover, Israel 60 celebrations - Jerusalem Post
Police have raised their alert level throughout the country on Wednesday ahead of the Passover holiday and a series of events related to Israel's 60th anniversary celebrations. Police forces are also preparing for the arrival of 20 heads of state to Israel, including US president George W. Bush, for a conference hosted by President Shimon Peres. The defense establishment cites nine specific alerts based on intelligence information warning of viable terror plots. This in addition to dozens of general warnings. Read more.
· As prayer warriors who love Israel and who pray for the peace of Jerusalem, let us, too, go on "high alert" throughout this Passover weekend, praying for the safety of EVERYONE in Israel during her time of celebration. Pray!
· "The Lord shall send the rod of Your strength out of Zion. Rule in the midst of Your enemies!" (Psalm 110:2)
3. U.S. Secretary of State Calls Hamas "A Resistance Movement" - WorldNetDaily
For at least the fourth time in recent months, Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice referred to the Hamas terrorist organization as a "resistance" movement during unscripted remarks with reporters, WND has learned.
4. Hamas all out for Obama -- Israel Insider
On the eve of a planned meeting of its leader Khaled Meshaal with former President Jimmy Carter, the Hamas terrorist organization has expressed the "hope" that Senator Barack Hussein Obama will win the presidential elections and change America's foreign policy.
5. Carter lays wreath at Arafat's grave - Jerusalem Post
In breaking with US policy, Carter placed a wreath Tuesday on the grave of Yasser Arafat. The Bush administration has snubbed Arafat, blaming him for the breakdown of peace talks seven years ago and the violence that followed.
Faith Under Fire Ohio Teacher Refuses to Remove Bible from Student's view- AP Louisiana Courthouse Jesus Painting Said Unconstitutional - Newsmax.com · Father, the enemy is attempting to remove You from every portion of our lives - not just school but art, worship, and speech. Lord You are the God of covenant and promise, the God Who keeps His Word. We ask now that you stop the mouths of the enemy and destroy his wicked plans against Your people. · "The God of heaven Himself will prosper us; therefore we His servants will arise and build . . ." (Nehemiah 2:20b)
An Ohio middle school teacher says he won't obey an order to remove a Bible from view of students. John Freshwater said Wednesday he agreed to remove a collage from his classroom that included the Ten Commandments, but that asking him to remove the Bible on his desk goes too far.
Displaying a portrait of Jesus in the foyer of a Louisiana courthouse is unconstitutional, a federal judge ruled this week, siding with civil libertarians who sued over the display.
TWO WEEKS TO GO TO THE NATIONAL DAY OF PRAYER!
NATIONAL DAY OF PRAYER:
PRAYING FROM 10,000 FEET
Faith Under Fire
Ohio Teacher Refuses to Remove Bible from Student's view- AP
Louisiana Courthouse Jesus Painting Said Unconstitutional - Newsmax.com
· Father, the enemy is attempting to remove You from every portion of our lives - not just school but art, worship, and speech. Lord You are the God of covenant and promise, the God Who keeps His Word. We ask now that you stop the mouths of the enemy and destroy his wicked plans against Your people.
· "The God of heaven Himself will prosper us; therefore we His servants will arise and build . . ." (Nehemiah 2:20b)
Millions of Americans will gather at tens of thousands of prayer events on May 1, the 57th annual National Day of Prayer. They will gather at churches, parks and on courthouse steps to pray for our nation, leaders, media, military, schools, churches, businesses and families.
Some will even gather on airplanes.
In the first event of its kind, planes with prayer warriors aboard are scheduled to fly over all 50 state capitols. They will take off at noon local time.
Kenny Wortman is a founding member of PrayerFlight, an Ohio group that organizes prayer-based flights. Ahead of the National Day of Prayer, the group contacted airports near each state's capitol.
"All we ask for is a plane and a pilot and some prayer warriors," Wortman said. "Most of the people are just so excited, they don't know what to do." So far, he has volunteers in 42 states.
The National Day of Prayer was created in 1952 by a joint resolution of Congress, and signed into law by President Harry S. Truman.
The theme for this year is Prayer! America's Strength and Shield and is based on Psalm 28:7: >"The Lord is my strength and shield; my heart trusts in Him and I am helped."
Mrs. Dobson is chairman of the National Day of Prayer Task Force. Dr. Zacharias is this year's honorary chairman.
"We're living in very serious and uncertain times," Mrs. Dobson told CitizenLink recently. "Without God, we will never be able to navigate the turbulent waters that we're going through. As long as God is on His throne, there is always hope."
In Washington, D.C., the national observance runs from noon to 3 p.m. ET on Thursday, May 1, and will be broadcast live on GOD TV (Ch. 365 on Direct TV), and over the Internet.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
Visit the National Day of Prayer Web site. Click on "Events" to find out what's planned for your area. To watch the webcast from Washington, visit the Web site on May 1.
The task force also has launched the Pray for Election Day! Campaign to remind people of faith to pray for those in leadership.
Read more of CitizenLink's interview with Mrs. Shirley Dobson. IRAN SLAMS BEN-ELIEZER'S THREAT OF MASSIVE COUNTER-STRIKE April 12, 2008 Iran's ambassador to the United Nations stated that Ben-Eliezer's statement was part of 'the continuing warnings made by Israeli representatives that constitute insulting and scandalous threats against the Republic of Iran.' Ben-Eliezer said Monday that, 'an Iranian attack on Israel will lead to a harsh response by Israel that will cause the destruction of the Iranian nation.' · Father, the unrest continues in Israel; the ongoing tension between Israel & Iran causes the people to be filled with terror. We pray, LORD God, for the people to look up, for their redemption is drawing near! · "We have a strong city; God will appoint salvation for walls and bulwarks." (Is. 26:1)
Iran Slams Israeli Threat
Ha'aretz reports: "Tehran on Wednesday blasted as 'scandalous' and 'insulting' a threat made by National Infrastructure Minister Benyamin Ben-Eliezer this week of a devastating response to an Iranian attack on Israel.
Muhammad Kazai, the Iranian envoy, made the comments in a letter that was sent Thursday to the UN Security Council.
The national infrastructure minister was speaking during a visit to the Infrastructure Ministry war room, which was being prepared as part of the civil defense drill this week.
'The Iranians won't rush to attack Israel, because they understand the significance such action would have and are well aware of our strength,' added Ben- Eliezer."
Links to Other Resources
IRAN SLAMS BEN-ELIEZER'S THREAT OF MASSIVE COUNTER-STRIKE
April 12, 2008
Iran's ambassador to the United Nations stated that Ben-Eliezer's statement was part of 'the continuing warnings made by Israeli representatives that constitute insulting and scandalous threats against the Republic of Iran.'
Ben-Eliezer said Monday that, 'an Iranian attack on Israel will lead to a harsh response by Israel that will cause the destruction of the Iranian nation.'
· Father, the unrest continues in Israel; the ongoing tension between Israel & Iran causes the people to be filled with terror. We pray, LORD God, for the people to look up, for their redemption is drawing near!
· "We have a strong city; God will appoint salvation for walls and bulwarks." (Is. 26:1)
Recommended links are now posted on our CHPP Blog. Click here to visit our blog for more information.
We particularly wish to cite Intercessors for America as the source to find all other ongoing prayer initiatives at this time.
For news at the state level (including court decisions re: gay rights), please see the links for the Family Research Council and for Citizen Link (Focus on the Family.) Thank you!!