1. Secretary Of State Condoleezza Rice Visits The Middle East - Agence France Presse
Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice has headed back to the Middle East in a bid to sell a new US strategy for Iraq to wary allies and to take another shot at reviving Israeli-Palestinian peace efforts. State Department spokesman Sean McCormack said Rice would visit Israel, the Palestinian territories, Jordan, Egypt, Saudi Arabia and Kuwait before stop- offs in Germany and Britain during the January 12-19 trip. A major part of Rice's discussions will focus on "the perception of a common threat posed by Iran and other forces of extremism and violence in the region" McCormack said.
• Pray that God will give Condoleezza His wisdom to know what to propose with these world leaders. Pray that those discussions will not include giving away anything the Lord has given Israel. • "For thus says the Lord of hosts: "He sent Me after glory, to the nations which plunder you; for he who touches you touches the apple of His eye. For surely I will shake My hand against them, and they shall become spoil for their servants. Then you will know that the Lord of hosts has sent Me." (Zechariah 2:8,9)
2. Senator Robert Bennett Introduces Amendment to Protect Grass-Roots Lobbying Efforts - Family Research Council
On 1/4/07, the first bill that Senator Harry Reid introduced on the Senate Floor was S. 1: The Legislative Transparency and Accountability Act of 2007. Despite its rather harmless sounding name, S. 1 includes a small provision (Section 220) with a potentially huge impact: a provision that seeks to establish, for the first time, federal regulation of grassroots activity that is intended to encourage members of the public to communicate with Members of Congress about pending legislative matters--so- called 'grassroots lobbying.' This is a move to stop us from informing you about the issues you find important.
Senator Robert Bennett (R- UT) has introduced an amendment to S. 1 that would strip this abusive language from the bill. The Senator realizes that just as it would be unconstitutional to monitor the press because of their contact with their readers, Congress has no business monitoring the motives of citizens who contact Washington to express their views.
• Offer earnest prayer that the Bennett Amendment passes. Come against the forces in Congress that would seek to silence the voices of those who do not yet walk in darkness, but who uphold the Biblical values of our faith. • "Then Moses spoke in the hearing of all the assembly of Israel the words of this song, until they were complete: Give ear, O heavens, and let me speak; And let the earth hear the words of my mouth." (Deuteronomy 31:30-32:1) "You are all sons of the light and sons of the day. We do not belong to the night or to the darkness. So then, let us not be like others, who are asleep, but let us be alert and self-controlled." (I Thess. 5:5,6)
3. Homeland Security Secretary Chertoff Announces Nearly $500 Million In Anti-Terrorism Grants - USA Today
Seaports, rail and bus systems, trucking companies and other private industries at risk of terrorist attack will divvy up nearly a half-billion dollars in anti- terrorism grants this year, Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff announced last Tuesday. "We're investing resources where risk is greatest and where the funds will have the most significant impact," said Chertoff, responding to critics who complained that the highest-risk cities didn't get a big enough share of federal homeland security money last year. Chertoff said the process of deciding which cities would get the grant money this year was driven by threat-based intelligence information and common sense.
• Pray that no politics will be involved in choosing which cities will receive these anti-terrorism grants. Pray that God will direct the leaders to make the right choices for those who are truly most vulnerable. • "But there remained among the children of Israel seven tribes which had not yet received their inheritance. Then Joshua said to the children of Israel: 'How long will you neglect to go and possess the land which the Lord God of your fathers has given you?'" (Joshua 18:2,3)
4. Interior Department Lifts Oil Drilling Ban In Alaska's Bristol Bay; Raises Royalty Rates For Oil And Gas Leases In The Gulf - The Washington Post
The Bush administration last week moved to boost U.S. oil and gas supplies by lifting a long-standing moratorium on drilling in Alaska's Bristol Bay, as OPEC accelerated plans to reduce supplies in order to prop up sagging crude prices. Days before the House is expected to roll back oil industry tax breaks, the Bush administration also decided to boost royalty rates by a third for ultra-deep-water oil and gas drilling.
• Pray that the U.S. will quickly find alternative ways to fuel our homes, cars, and other things for our nation. Pray that it will not be politicized, but that all officials and companies will work together for our good. • "Now they departed and came back to Moses and Aaron and all the congregation of the children of Israel in the Wilderness of Paran, at Kadesh; they brought back word to them and all the congregation, and showed them the fruit of the land. Then they told him, and said: 'We went to the land where you sent us. It truly flows with milk and honey, and this is its fruit.'" (Numbers 13:26, 27)
5. Ahmadinejad Courts Leftist Allies in Latin America - AP
Iran's hard line President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, apparently believing there is strength in numbers, is forging an alliance with a new band of Latin American leftist leaders in an attempt to add fuel to his already fiery anti-American rhetoric. Ahmadinejad visited Venezuela, Nicaragua and Ecuador during his Latin American tour.
• Pray that their language will be confused and they will not be able to broker any alliances either against us or for their evil plots. • "Let those be put to shame and brought to dishonor who seek after my life; Let those be turned back and brought to confusion who plot my hurt. Let them be like chaff before the wind, and let the angel of the Lord chase them." (Psalms 35:4, 5)
6. Iran, Venezuela agree to thwart ‘US domination’ - AP
Presidents Chavez, Ahmadinejad say they are ready to spend billions of dollars to finance projects in other countries to help thwart US domination. ‘We’ll underpin investments in countries whose governments are making efforts to liberate themselves from the (US) imperialist yoke,’ Venezuelan leader says.
• "Devise your strategy, but it will be thwarted; propose your plan, but it will not stand, for God is with us." (Isaiah 8:10)
7. Iran and Venezuela back oil cuts - BBC
The presidents of Venezuela and Iran have called for a cut in oil production by the members of the Opec oil cartel. Speaking in Caracas, Hugo Chavez and Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said they wanted to co- ordinate the group to reduce the amount of crude oil on the market. Mr Chavez welcomed Mr Ahmadinejad to Caracas, calling him a "fighter for just causes, to a revolutionary and a brother". He said the world oil market was oversupplied with crude, and said Opec should act to stop falling prices. Both countries are major oil producers and members of Opec.
• In prayer, break the spirit of python that would seek to control the nations by controllling their energy supplies. Thank God that we do not live by "bread alone," but rather by every Word that proceeds out of the mouth of God. Let's trust our Lord for HIS OIL -- His Holy Spirit, His anointing, and His creative strategies - - to meet all our needs. Finally, forgive and release Hugo Chavez and Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, and all who consort with them, for they know not what they do. • "But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God." (Matt. 4:4) "I wisdom dwell with prudence, and find out knowledge of witty inventions." (Prov. 8:12)
8. Bush Opens a Third Front in Iraq — against Iran - Int'l Herald Tribune
For more than two years after Saddam Hussein's fall, the war in Iraq was about chasing down insurgents and Al Qaeda in Iraq. Last year it expanded to tamping down sectarian warfare. But over the past three weeks, in two sets of raids and newly revealed orders issued by President George W. Bush, a third front has opened — against Iran.
• Pray that the commanders in the battles will have God’s wisdom as to how to conduct the wars with not political interference!. Pray that LTD David Petraeus, who is in charge, will be a commander as David was – a mighty and victorious commander. • "Some Gadites joined David at the stronghold in the wilderness, mighty men of valor, men trained for battle, who could handle shield and spear, whose faces were like the faces of lions, and were as swift as gazelles on the mountains . . . For at that time they came to David day by day to help him, until it was a great army, like the army of God." (1 Chronicles 12:8,22)