Senators introduced a resolution yesterday disapproving of President Bush's plan to send more troops to Iraq, setting up a confrontation with the White House, which warned that those who vote for it will face charges that they don't support the troops.
• Pray over change of heart in the Senate. Pray we stay the course and reach all objectives. Continue to pray for wisdom and strength to lead us in the right path. • "I have taught thee in the way of wisdom; I have led thee in right paths. When you walk you shall not be hindered." (Prov. 4:11-12)
2. Senate passes ethics reform by 96-2 margin - Washington Times
The Senate last night overwhelmingly passed an ethics bill after breaking a day-long stalemate over a Republican proposal on earmarks that had threatened to kill the legislation.
• Continue to offer great praise for this victory in the Senate. We have prayed; God has heard; and He has answered. Truly, "The battle is the Lord's!" • "For it is not by might, nor by power, but by My Spirit, saith the Lord." (Zech. 4:6)
3. The 34th Annual March for Life Planned for Monday in Washington - www.marchforlife.org
On January 23, 1973, the United States Supreme Court in the case of Roe v. Wade that a woman had a "right to choose" an abortion, on demand, thereby rendering legal the killing of unborn babies in our nation. Since that date, more than 45 million unborn babies have been killed in abortions. To protest the passage of that law -- and the slaughter of these unborn babies, thousands of citizens from across the nation will gather this Monday, January 23, in the 34th Annual March for Life. The march will begin at noon with a rally on the west side of the Capitol, followed by the march up to the Supreme Court. Demonstrators will then spend the rest of the day visiting their own members of Congress in the Senate and the House, to lobby for the overturning of Roe v. Wade. For more information about Monday's scheduled events, please visit the website of the March for Life.
• Father, we pray Your hand of blessing for good weather and for protection over the thousands that gather. May this march be glorifying to You as life is lifted up. • "I have come that you may have life and have it more abundantly." (John 10:10)
4. President Bush Prepares His State of the Union Address - Capitol Hill Prayer Partners
This weekend, President Bush will be putting the finishing touches on his State of the Union Address, to be delivered on Tuesday night, Jan. 23, at 9:00 p.m. EST. As in previous years, the entire leadership of the three branches of our federal government will be seated together in the Chamber of the House of Representatives to receive the president's report. This includes every member of the Senate and the House; the nine Justices of the United States Supreme Court; the Secretaries of every Cabinet (save one); and the Joint Chiefs of Staff. Washington, D.C. and the Capitol Hill area will be on the highest state of alert possible next Tuesday, and a no-fly zone will be imposed over our city. Please pray!
• Lord, our hope is in You!! We pray for protection and ask You to expose evil plans. We break, crush and destroy all planned attacks from terrorists over Washington, DC in the name of Jesus. We pray as President Bush prepares his State of the Union Address that it will be filled with truth and wisdom. • "The Lord shall preserve you from all evil. He shall preserve your soul. The Lord shall preserve your going out and your coming in." (Ps. 121:7-8) "Unless the Lord builds the house, They labor in vain who build it; Unless the Lord guards the city, the watchman stays awake in vain." (Ps. 127:1) "I have chosen the way of truth; Your judgements I have laid before me." (Ps. 119:30)
5. How North Korean President Kim Jong Il Bilks U.N. - AP
Has North Korean leader Kim Jong Il subverted the United Nations Development Program, the $4 billion agency that is the U.N.’s main development arm, and possibly stolen tens of millions of dollars of hard currency in the process? According to a top official of the U.S. State Department — using findings made by the U.N.’s own auditors — the answer appears to be a disturbing yes, so far as UNDP programs in North Korea itself are concerned.
• Father, as we continue to pray for you to expose the evil to be dealt with, we also thank you for bringing this stolen money to the eyes of the public. We pray this knowledge will require justice and judgement for Kin Jong II. • "Justice and judgement are the habitation of thy throne: mercy and truth shall go before thy face." (Psalm 89:14)