1. U.S. Senate Republican pushes Iraq alternative - ABC News
A leading Senate Republican vowed on Thursday to push for a vote on his measure criticizing President George W. Bush's overall plan to boost U.S. troops in Iraq, but backing Bush's call for more troops in the western Anbar province.
• As Congress continues to grapple with the question of how to respond to the president's new policy in Iraq, pray that God's wisdom would be granted to all parties involved. The world is watching our democracy in action. Pray that all of our leaders would exhibit the character of "grace under fire" as this policy is set in place. • "And He causeth all things to work together for good for those who love Him and who are called according to His purpose." (Rom. 8:28)
2. Gates to Congress: Don't Handcuff our Troops in Iraq - AP
Defense Secretary Robert Gates warned Congress against handcuffing military leaders in Iraq as lawmakers pushed toward a vote next week that would rebuke the president's Iraq war policy. Speaking with reporters Friday afternoon, Gates took aim at any resolution that would hinder military leaders and give the message to the enemy that U.S. troops will be in the battlefield without the proper support to succeed. "It's pretty clear that a resolution that in effect says, 'the general going out to take command of the arena shouldn't have the resources he needs to be successful,' certainly emboldens the enemy and our adversaries," Gates said. "Any indication of flagging will in the United States gives encouragement to those folks. I'm sure that's not the intent of the resolutions but I think it might be the effect."
• Pray that as officials from the Bush Administration present their testimony about the hard facts in Iraq, that the members of Congress would be given "eyes to see" and "ears to hear" the truth in their statements. Bind deception; loose truth. • "The eyes of those who see will not be dim, and the ears of those who listen will listen. Also the heart of the rash will understand knowledge . . ." (Isaiah 32:3,4)
3. House resolution opposes North American Union - WorldNetDaily
Rep. Virgil Goode, R-Va., has introduced a House resolution expressing congressional opposition to construction of a NAFTA Super Highway System or entry into a North American Union with Mexico and Canada. Goode said the goal behind House Concurrent Resolution 40, introduced Monday, is "to block a NAFTA Superhighway System and to indicate the opposition of the Congress to the Security and Prosperity Partnership (SPP) of North America that was declared by President Bush, Mexico's then- President Vicente Fox, and Canada's then-Prime Minister Paul Martin, at the conclusion of their summit meeting in Waco, Texas, on March 23, 2005."
• Pray for the protection of Rep. Goode and his household. Now that the facts about the proposed North American Union are coming to light in the halls of Congress, pray that all of our members in the House and in the Senate would know how to respond to this development. God has set the nations in place and determined their boundaries . . . lift up prayer that man not interfere with what God hath wrought. • "And He has made from one blood every nation of men to dwell on all the face of the earth, and has determined their preappointed times and the boundaries of their dwellings." (Acts 17:26)
4. "Union Told Me to Pay" - CNSNews.com
Told by a Union official to pay forced dues or "change religions". a teacher in southern Ohio is challenging a state law that allows only those public employees who belong to certain denominations the right to claim religious objection to paying union dues. Carol Katter, a mathmatics and language arts instructor in the St. Marys district, filed a federal complaint in the U.S. District Court in Columbus this week over an Ohio law that prevents the lifelong Catholic from diverting her dues from a union she refuses to fund because it supports "abortion on demand".
• We ask that Your Justice will come forth Father in this unfair law, in Jesus Name. • "He hath showed thee oh man, what is good; and what the Lord doth require of thee, but to do justly, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God." (Micah 6:8)
5. South Korea Strengthens Its Surveillance of North Korea's Nuke Activities - Stratfor.com
South Korea's consolidated defense command-some 200 top military and government officials headed by Prime MInister Han Myeong Sook--has decided to strengthen South Korea's 24-hour surveillance of North Korea's nuclear activities and heighten its military countermeasures, the Joint Chiefs of Staff said in a statement released Jan. 24. Meanwhile diplomatic efforts to dismantle North Korea's nuclear program will continue, the statement said.
• Lord God our Protector, continue giving Your Protection to the people in South Korea. Bring about an absolute end to the North Korean Communist government and cause Korea to become one, and You be Lord over all Korea. • "And join them one to another into one stick; and they shall become one in thy hand." (Ezek. 37:17)
6. Florida man threatens to detonate bombs by al Qaeda - Northeast Intelligence Network Explosives and homemade bombs were found in the Kissimmee, Florida home of Juan Rafael DIAZ, 20, who threatened to blow up at least one Christian church other locations throughout Kissimmee. DIAZ reportedly left notes on vehicles parked at the Moose Lodge located on North Main Street and on a vehicle parked at the First Christian Church located at 415 North Main Street in Kissimmee. According to police sources, every note left at the various locations referenced al Qaeda along with the threats to detonate explosives at those locations, specifically stating: "The city of Kissimmee is going to be bombed by al Qaeda, God willing."
• Praise God that this plot was uncovered BEFORE those bombs exploded!! Cry out for the soul of Juan Rafael Diaz, and offer prayer that all who are allied with him be also found and apprehended. Praise God. • "No weapon forged against you shall prosper." (Isaiah 54:17)