1. U.S. House approves stiff penalties for gasoline price gouging - Int'l Herald Tribune
The House of Representatives, eager to do something about record high U.S. gasoline prices in advance of a holiday weekend, voted narrowly Wednesday to approve stiff penalties for those found guilty of price gouging.
· Reports are that this picture may yet change in the Senate. We ask You, Lord, to bring relief from the oppression we now feel, every time we approach the gas pump! We ask wisdom for our leaders, so that our people might be spared from this excessive burden on our household budgets. Help, Lord! · "Ask, and ye shall receive . . ." (John 16:24)
2. Opposition to national ID continues to grow - One News Now
A grassroots activist organization is calling on American citizens to contact their members of Congress to try to repeal the "REAL ID Act," a piece of legislation the group says is nothing more than a federal takeover of state departments of motor vehicles. Opposition to the legislation is brewing in several states.
· Father, we pray that we have the wisdom to discern the times and seasons and the understanding to know what to do in them. Lord, You are not the author of confusion; we pray that you give Your bride the courage to know Your will for this nation You've allowed us to live in and represent. · "But let us who are of the day be sober, putting on the breastplate of faith and love, and as a helmet the hope of salvation." (1 Thess 5:8)
3. Politicians weigh renewal of Net access tax ban - CNet
With only months left on a moratorium restricting state governments from taxing Internet access, the U.S. House of Representatives on Tuesday began a debate over whether the ban should be made permanent or allowed to lapse.
· Father God, one more tax is . . . one more tax. We ask that You would intervene to "hold the line" on this form of taxation at the state level. Let our access to the internet continue to flow freely and without hindrance. Praise God. · "This far and no further and here shall your proud waves stop!" (Job 38:10)
4. Team working up new strategy for Iraq war - CNN
The U.S. military is joining forces with the State Department to prepare a new Iraq strategy that includes negotiating cease-fire and power-sharing agreements with some enemy combatants, U.S. officials said Wednesday.
· We pray Father over the linking of these two agencies, the military and the State Department. Lord, we pray they have one mind and one heart to develop Your strategies to implement over the nation of Iraq. Speak to all involved in the development of these plans; let them hear from heaven and work quickly and accurately to put into place actions that will advance justice and righteousness in this land. · "For thus says the Lord: "Break up your fallow ground, And do not sow among thorns. Lest My fury come forth like fire, And burn so that no one can quench it.'" (Jer. 4:3, 4b)
5. Mideast 'Quartet' to meet in Berlin next week - Jerusalem Post
Germany's foreign minister will host his Russian and US counterparts and the UN secretary general next week, convening the so-called Mideast "Quartet" to discuss developments in the Middle East.
· God, You alone know the plans of men and nations and You alone shall see Your will fulfilled in this earth. We pray for the things of God to be given notice and position in the convening of this "Middle-East Quartet". Father, cause them to discuss and agree upon issues that further Your hand in the Middle East and bring about restoration for Israel. · "But God has chosen the lowly things of the world and the things which are despised God has chosen, and the things which are not, to bring to nothing the things that are." (1 Co. 1:28)
6. Is al-Qaeda on the Run in Iraq? - Time
There is good news from Iraq, believe it or not. It comes from the most unlikely place: Anbar province, home of the Sunni insurgency. The level of violence has plummeted in recent weeks. An alliance of U.S. troops and local tribes has been very effective in moving against the al-Qaeda foreign fighters.
· Lord we want to give You praise and thanksgiving for this victory in Anbar province. We know it has been a troubled spot, but You are the God who brings calm in the midst of the storm. Let this calm be noted by all who are watching. Let the alliance of troops and tribes encourage others to work for calm in their own areas as well. · "Rejoice always, pray without ceasing. . ." (1 Thess. 5:17-18)