President George W. Bush said on Wednesday that he supports a Democratic proposal to increase the U.S. minimum wage but said it should be coupled with tax and regulatory relief for small businesses.
• Lord Jesus, we trust in Your name alone and ask You to move in proposals that will bring a balance to our economy and provision for our laborers. • "A just weight and balance are the LORD'S; all the weights of the bag are his work." (Prov. 16:11)
2. N.J. Governor Signs Gay Civil Unions Law - ABC News
New Jersey's governor signed legislation Thursday giving gay couples all the rights and responsibilities of marriage allowed under state law but not the title.
• Pray for forgiveness and an awakening of the fear of God to depart from evil. Pray for mercy and grace to be saved and healed from wicked men and laws. • "O LORD, the hope of Israel, all that forsake thee shall be ashamed, and they that depart from me shall be written in the earth because they have forsaken the LORD, the fountain of living waters. Heal me, O LORD, and I shall be healed; save me and I shall be saved: for thou art my praise." (Jer. 17:13-14)
3. California: Marriage law goes to high court - SF Chronicle
The fate of same-sex marriage in California is in the hands of the state Supreme Court. More than two years after it nullified nearly 4,000 weddings of gay and lesbian couples performed at San Francisco City Hall, the court voted unanimously Wednesday to decide whether state law, which defines marriage as the union of a man and a woman, violates a constitutional right to marry the partner of one's choice.
• Pray for the pure constitutional rights that are based on the Bible to be illuminated to California's state Supreme Court. Pray for the return to the truth and to uphold the standard of righteousness. • "Return, ye backsliding children, and I will heal your backslidings. Behold, we come unto thee for thou art the LORD our God." (Jer. 3:22)
4. President Bush Signs Legislation To Block U.S. Aid To Hamas-Led Palestinian Government - AP
President Bush signed into law a bill meant to block U.S. aid to the Hamas-led Palestinian government and ban contacts with Hamas until the militant faction has renounced violence and recognized Israel's existence. It also creates a $20 million fund to promote democracy, human rights, freedom of the press and peace between Israel and the Palestinians.The White House said the legislation Bush signed reflects the administration's concern over the current government's failure to renounce violence and terror, recognize Israel and respect previous agreements and obligations.
• Offer up a chorus of praise for this strong stand our president, our Congress, and our nation has taken on behalf of Isael. Call forth the BLESSINGS that are due our people as we continue to stand by the nation of the children of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. • "And I will bless them that bless thee . . ." (Gen. 12:3a)
5. U.S. Preparing An Aid Package To Help Strengthen Lebanese Security Forces - The Washington Post
The United States is preparing a package of almost $500 million in aid for Lebanon's military and police to help strengthen security forces, part of almost $1 billion in total U.S. assistance to help the beleaguered Lebanese government, according to U.S. officials. "Ultimately . . . one of the most important things that you can do is to strengthen the Lebanese armed forces not – I think probably not to replace the United Nations forces for some time, but to be more capable themselves of defending the country and providing a stable platform," Secretary of State Condoleeza Rice told The Post. "Everybody understands that the future of Lebanon is very important."
• Pray for the worldwide media as this information hits the news. Ask the those who see this action will understand its true intent, as outlined by the Secretary of State: to help strengthen the hand of the Lebanese government that it might defend itself from all terrorists -- within and without their country. • "Again, I tell you that if two of you on earth agree about anything you ask for, it will be done for you by my Father in heaven." (Matt. 18:19)
6. U.S., EU urge vote on Iran ban - Washington Times
The United States and European Union yesterday pushed for a U.N. Security Council vote as early as today on Iran sanctions, a diluted version that drops a U.S.-backed travel ban on Iranian nuclear officials in a bid to win Russian support.
• Pray that this vote will go through, so that tough sanctions can be placed upon this rogue government. • "Ask, and you shall receive . . . " (John 16:24)