For the first time President George W. Bush conceded that the United States is not winning the war in Iraq, but was also adamant the U.S. was not losing the war either.
• Pray that the insurgency (terrorists) in Iraq will recognize the power of the US and retreat from it. This violence recognizes only power and feeds on any show of weakness. Pray that our military manpower will increase, but that our own nation is not left without protection as more troops are sent to Iraq. Speak defeat to the spirits of violence and murder that move so freely in Iraq. • "Grant not, O Lord, the desires of the wicked: further not his wicked device; lest they exalt themselves." (Psalm 140:8)
2. Pentagon Wants $99.7B More for Wars - AP
The Pentagon wants the White House to seek an additional $99.7 billion to fund the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, according to information provided to The Associated Press.
• Only the Lord knows where America is to find these funds, for our potential enemies are buying up US debts. Pray that the Lord will show us how to end these wars and still defeat the enemies of man. • " And righteousness shall be the girdle of His [Jesus] loins and faithfulness the girdle of His [Jesus] reins." (Isaiah 11:5)
3. Winter snowstorm hammers Colorado - MSNBC
A major snowstorm blew across Colorado toward the Plains on Wednesday, dumping more than a foot of snow in some places and forcing the airport to close, stranding thousands of holiday travelers. Authorities at times shut down major highways in parts of six states.
• Pray comfort for those who are suffering from the effects of this storm - for warmth, food, shelter. Ask the Lord to rescue those stranded and isolated - to bring them to safety and to their families. Pray that the spirit of mercy and generosity pervade every situation related to this storm. • "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for Thou art with me; Thy rod and Thy staff, they comfort me." (Psalm, 23:4)
4. Senior al-Qaida Leader Nabbed in Iraq - ABC News
U.S.-led forces captured a senior al-Qaida leader who was responsible for hundreds of civilian deaths and housed foreign fighters who carried out suicide bombings, the U.S. military said Wednesday.
• Praise the Lord that another wicked man led by the deception of Satan has been captured and rendered unable to harm more people. Pray that his capture is sure and his punishment proper. Pray also for the salvation of his soul in Jesus Christ. Let his soul repent to the Lord before he dies. • "My mouth shall speak the praise of the Lord: and let all flesh bless His holy name for ever and ever." (Psalm 145:21)
5. Ahmadinejad: Iran now nuclear power - Ynet News
Iran is now a "nuclear power," its President, Mahmoud Ahamdinejad, delcared Wednesday, according to the Islamic Republic News Agency.
• Mr. Ahmadinejad can declare all he wants, but his power is empty words in the Lord's eyes. The Lord will make him accountable for his idle words. Nevertheless, speak impotence into his nuclear power and malfunctions of all kinds. Call for the righteous in Iran to rise up against this despot. • "State a decree, but it will not stand, for God is with us." (Isaiah 8:10)
6. Ahmadinejad: Britain, Israel, US to 'vanish like the pharaohs' - AFP
Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has predicted that Britian, Israel and the United States would eventually disappear from the world like the Egyptian pharaonic kings.
• Obviously, Ahmadinejad has some familiarity with the Bible; too sad that his eyes are blind to the truth and to the gospel. When he touches Israel, he brings God's wrath upon himself. Pray for this man's soul, if it can be redeemed. • "Lying lips are an abomination to the Lord; but they that deal truly are His delight." (Proverbs 12:22)
7. Rep.: Muslim in U.S. House a "Threat" - FOXNews
U.S. Rep. Virgil Goode (R-VA) warns that new congressman's decision to take oath with Koran endangers American values. Rep. Goode stated that if Americans do not take a firm stand, we will have more Moslems trying to exercise their will in our Congress. Nothing from the Koran is part of the US Constitution.
• Pray that all the members of Congress, in both the House and the Senate, will heed the words and warning of Rep. Goode. Pray that the American public and media will see that this issue is not one of tolerance but one of the very foundation of our nation. If this newly-elected Moslem cannot be sworn in with the Bible, then he should not be a representative to the Congress. • "Go from the presence of a foolish man, when thou perceivest not in him the lips of knowledge." (Proverbs 14:7)
• Pray for the safety of Rep. Goode and his family; and ask that many, many others in the House of Representatives lend their support to this letter. • "No weapon forged against you shall prosper." (Is. 54:17a)