President Bush has declared that Tuesday a national day of mourning for former President Gerald Ford, who will be honored at a service attended by Bush at National Cathedral on Tuesday.
• Pray the comfort of the Holy Spirit for the family and nation as we honor the memory of President Gerald Ford. • "Render therefore to all their dues: tribute to whom tribute is due; custom to whom custom ; fear to whom fear; honour to whom honour." (Romans 13: 7)
2. Bush Considers Economic Package for Iraq - CNSNews.com
As he puts the finishing touches on his revised Iraq plan, President Bush is considering new economic initiatives to go along with a possible increase in troops to help stabilize the country, according to officials familiar with the administration's review.
• Pray for the plan to be inspired by the Lord to bring stabilization to Iraq. Pray for a quick work and strength for our military as they give of themselves. • "I have shewed you all things, how that so laboring ye ought to support the weak and to remember the words of the Lord Jesus how he said, It is more blessed to give than to receive." (Acts 20:35)
3. Sheehan Again Arrested at Bush Ranch - CNSNews.com
Anti-war protester Cindy Sheehan was arrested Thursday afternoon outside President Bush's ranch, according to a law enforcement official.
• Pray for Cindy Sheehan to receive the Lord's grace and mercy in dealing with the personal loss of her son from the war. Pray for inner healing to come and the rebellious spirit to be broken. • "And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee; for my strength is made perfect in weakness." ( 2 Cor.12:9a)
4. Sen. Johnson Remains in Critical Condition - AP
Sen. Tim Johnson turned 60 on Thursday, two weeks after emergency surgery to repair a brain hemorrhage that has left him in critical condition.
• Pray for the Lord's healing hand to touch Sen. Tim Johnson. Pray for him to experience the presence of the Lord. Pray, also, for the Lord's will over congress in Sen. Johnson's absence. • "Heal me, O LORD, and I shall be healed, save me, and I shall be saved: for thou art my praise." (Jer. 17:14)
5. Ravaged New Orleans Site of Edwards' Announcement - AP
Expect to hear a lot in the next year about the "two Americas" that former U.S. Sen. John Edwards sees as the most pressing problem in the country.
• In the middle of all of the activity at the turn of the year, please remember to lift up regular prayer for all the candidates -- both Republican and Democrat -- who are now throwing their hats into the ring for the 2008 presidential election. May each one be moved by the Spirit of God to bring forth healing and blessing upon our land, and may His will be done through our electoral process. • "Choose wise and discerning and experienced men from your tribes, and I will appoint them as your heads." (Deuteronomy 1:13)
6. U.S. Blocks Arms, Technology to Israel - Middle East Newsline
Israeli and U.S. sources said the State Department has blocked the transfer of weapons and technology to the Jewish state over the last three months. The sources said the halt reflected deteriorating relations between the two countries since the end of the war in Lebanon in August 2006.
"Nobody will say openly that there is a problem," a government source said. "But there is a serious problem that reflects the marginalization of Israel in U.S. strategy."
The unofficial suspension of U.S. arms deliveries began in late September, the sources said. They said the suspension halted the airlift of air-to-ground and other munitions conducted during and immediately after the Israeli war with Hizbullah.
• Holy, holy God!! When we read reports like these, our heart skips a beat, for we fear for our nation. Lord, we know that it is written that "He who touches Israel touches the apple of Your eye." (Zech. 2:8) Father, in our withholding of these arms to our friend and ally, Israel, we have offended You, and touched the apple of Your eye in a way that can only reap sorrow for our nation. Forgive us, Holy God, and help us to come to repentance. Help our leaders, Lord God, ESPECIALLY THOSE WHO HAVE CHARGE OF THE STATE DEPARTMENT, to turn their hearts to You, and to enter into a course correction in this policy, even before the New Year begins. Father God, we ask that all of our actions towards Israel in 2007 would honor the covenant that we have as a nation with the land and people of Israel.