The Supreme Court heard arguments today in two cases involving one of the most highly charged debates in the nation: segregation in schools. The decision in both cases is not expected until mid- 2007.
• Pray that the decision that the Justices make today will be a good one for everyone in the U.S. Pray that our nation will go forward in race relationships and that people will let go of the past hurts in order to succeed. • "There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus." (Galatians 3:28)
2. Congress to Consider Neonatal Pain Abortion Bill - CNSNews.com
In a last ditch effort before the end of the congressional term on Friday, pro-life GOP lawmakers are promoting a bill that would require women considering an abortion to be informed of the "intense pain their baby would feel during an abortion."
• Pray that there will be no obstruction to this vital information that people need when considering an abortion decision. Pray that our nation will turn away from death into life! Lord, we pray that the hearts and minds of our people will embrace Your truth about what abortion really is. Let there be no obstruction of Your truth! And let those who have repented of abortion be on the front lines and vitally instrumental in turning our nation away from abortion for the sake of our future generations! • "Rescue those being led away to death; hold back those staggering toward slaughter." (Proverbs 24:11- 12)
3. Bush Accepts U.N. Ambassador Bolton's Resignation When Recess Appointment Expires - Fox News
Unable to win Senate confirmation, U.N. Ambassador John Bolton will step down when his temporary appointment expires within weeks, the White House said Monday.
• Pray that the person who wins confirmation to this seat is one who is gifted with God’s wisdom and purity! Pray that in the coming year, the Congressmen and Senators will do only God’s will and plans – and not theirs! • "He made him master of his household, ruler over all he possessed, to instruct his princes as he pleased and teach his elders wisdom." (Psalms 105:21,22)
4. Gates: We're Not Winning in Iraq - AP
This morning, Defense secretary nominee Robert Gates told a senate panel he's open to new ideas in Iraq policy, warning of a possible 'regional conflagration' unless changes are made. Later today, the Senate Armed Services Committee approved Gates' nomination, sending his name to the full Senate for a vote.
• Pray that there will be no partisan bickering as this important confirmation goes forward. Pray that the man chosen for this critical position will be lined up with the Lord and will know God’s wisdom and truth! • "You shall not circulate a false report. Do not put your hand with the wicked to be an unrighteous witness. You shall not follow a crowd to do evil; nor shall you testify in a dispute so as to turn aside after many to pervert justice." (Exodus 23:1,2)
5. Chavez: New 'defeat for the devil' - CNN
Anti-American socialist Hugo Chavez said his claimed victory in the Venezuelan presidential election was "another defeat for the devil" after the bulk of returns showed him leading challenger Manuel Rosales by a wide margin.
• "The Lord will cause your enemies who rise against you to be defeated before your face; they shall come out against you one way and flee before you seven ways." (Deuteronomy 28:7) "For what great nation is there that has God so near to it, as the Lord our God is to us that for whatever reason we may call upon Him?" (Deuteronomy 4:7)