|The Daily Brief|
1. Levee Breaks Along Mississippi River in Flood Ravaged Region; Bridge Closed- Fox News
A levee on the Illinois side of the Mississippi River, broke Tuesday in a region already battered for days by severe flooding, FOX News has confirmed.
· Father, as this one levee could cause the breakage of 25 others, we pray for Your hand of mercy for the people of this region. We stand in the gap and plead for You to remember the people of the Midwest .
· "In wrath remember mercy." (Habakkuk 3:2b)
2. Midwest Floods Swell Food Costs - MSNBC
Beyond property and business losses, the worst flood to hit the U.S. breadbasket in 15 years has added to the surge in global food prices.
· As costs rise higher and higher Lord, even Your people are falling under the weight of rising food prices. Remember, Lord, Your promise of provision to those who love You, and have mercy on the poor who have no other hope.
· "Men ate angel's food; He sent them food to the full." (Psalm 78:25)
3. Retail Sales Jump by Largest Amount in 6 Months - AP
The stimulus checks are working. A big increase in retail sales signaled that people are spending their rebate payments, helping to ward off a serious economic slump, at least for now.
· Lord, we thank You for a small respite from total disaster. We pray that You will stabilize and completely fix the underlying problem in our economy.
· "Kiss the Son lest He be angry, and you perish in the way, when His wrath is kindled but a little, blessed are those who put their trust in Him." (Psalm 2:12)
4. California's Flood of Gay I-Dos Begins - ABC News
This evening lesbian partners of more than half a century will be the first San Francisco couple to say their 'I-dos," kicking-off a marathon of wedding bells as California becomes the nation's second state to allow same-sex marriages.
· Lord, we have stood in repentance for these people who have been deceived, but we recognize that the people in question need to know You on their own. We stand now and ask for their souls to be redeemed by the power of Your Blood and the working of the Holy Spirit.
·"For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved." (John 3:17)
5. McCain Calls to Lift U.S. Oil Drilling Ban - USA Today
John McCain called Monday, for lifting a federal moratorium on offshore drilling for oil and gas -- a politically sensitive issue in such key states as Florida.
· Thank you, Lord, for this proposal to begin drilling for oil in America. We ask that it pass and allow our nation to begin to remove our dependence on foreign oil. We also ask for the safeguards to protect Your precious gift of the environment, that need - not greed- be the overriding concern.
· "For the Lord gives wisdom; from His mouth come knowledge and understanding." (Proverbs 2:6)
6. Taliban prepares for Battle Outside Kandahar as Thousands Flee -- AP
Taliban militants destroyed bridges and planted mines in several villages they control outside southern Afghanistan's largest city in apparent preparation for battle, residents and officials said Tuesday.
· Lord, do not let the enemy take back territory won. We pray against this attempt to turn Afghanistan back into darkness, and draw the Bloodline of Jesus around Kandahar. We ask that Your heavenly host be deployed to help coalition troops.
· "The Lord musters the army for battle." (Isaiah 13:4b)
7. Hamas Says It Has Peace Deal With Israel -AP
Gaza's Hamas rulers on Tuesday, said they have reached a long-awaited cease-fire with Israel meant to end months of Palestinian assaults on Israeli border towns and bruising Israeli retaliation.
· Lord, You have commanded us to pray for the peace of Jerusalem, but man's peace is really no peace at all. We pray for a lasting peace that can only come when You remove the enemies of Israel by the wind of Your Spirit. Lord, bring a mighty change to the hearts of all people of the region.
· "Draw close to me and redeem me, ransom and set me free because of my enemies lest they glory in my prolonged distress!" (Psalm 69:18 Amplified)
|The Middle East in Focus|
The Middle East in Focus
This week, for all the headlines cited below, please join us in proclaiming THIS DECREE:
"Moreover you shall provide out of all the people able men, such as fear God: men of truth, hating unjust gain; and place such over them, to be rulers." (Exodus 18:21)
1. Olmert: I will survive, run for re-election in Kadima primary - Jerusalem Post
Prime Minister Ehud Olmert spoke to top Kadima activists Monday and told them that he intends to run for re-election as Kadima chairman in a primary that the party's steering committee approved Monday in a meeting at the Knesset.
2. Arab parties to Olmert's rescue - Ynet News
Prime Minister Ehud Olmert stands to receive the protection of unexpected allies as he faces a plenum vote to dissolve the Knesset.
3. Egypt: Iran has 'negative effect' on Palestinians - Ynet News
Egypt sees Iran "on a surge" in the Arab world, playing many political and diplomatic cards regardless of Arab interests, Egyptian Foreign Minister Ahmed Aboul Gheit said in an interview.
4. EU agrees ready to boost Israel ties - Ynet News
European Union states agreed on Monday they were ready to upgrade ties with Israel while urging the Jewish state to make progress on Middle East peace, officials said.
5. Rabbis against Pride Parade: God is testing us - Ynet News
The Open House in Jerusalem announced on Monday that the city's Pride Parade would take place on Thursday of next week, with the theme of "free love". This year marks the parade's seventh anniversary in Jerusalem, and it has become well-known for sparking annual controversy among the ultra-Orthodox communities in the city.
|Iran in the News|
IRAN IN THE NEWS
This week, for all the headlines cited below, please join us in proclaiming THIS DECREE:
"For by strength no man shall prevail. The adversaries of the Lord shall be broken in pieces. From heaven He will thunder against them. The Lord will judge the ends of the earth." (1 Samuel 2:9-10)
1. IRAN RULES OUT SUSPENSION OF URANIUM ENRICHMENT PROGRAM -- RIA Novosti
Iran's government spokesman said on Saturday it would not accept any new incentives, proposed by the EU and world powers, in exchange for halting its uranium enrichment program. Gholam-Hossein Elham told journalists "If the packet of incentives from the "six" contains demands for a suspension [of uranium enrichment], then we will not discuss it."
Elham made the announcement after EU foreign policy chief, Javier Solana, handed Iran's Foreign Minister Manouchehr Mottaki details of a package of new incentives from the Iran six - China, France, Russia, the United States, Germany and Britain. The Iran six are hoping the new offer will motivate Iran to start talks on halting its program in exchange for closer economic and political ties with Western nations.
2. AHMADINEJAD SAYS BUSH WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ATTACK IRAN - Voice of America News
Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has issued a defiant message to U.S. President George Bush, warning that the United States will not be able to attack Iran. Mr. Ahmadinejad said Wednesday that Mr. Bush's era has 'come to an end.' The Iranian president also mocked what he called Mr. Bush's desire to attack Iran, saying the U.S. leader will not be able to harm 'even one centimeter' of the country.
3. AHMADINEJAD FACES HEAVYWEIGHT FOE -- Asia Times Online
This week, Iran's new speaker of its parliament, or Majlis, Ali Larijani, proposed forming two joint committees of the legislative and judiciary branches in an effort to reconcile new legislation with the Islamic penal code. The step is viewed as part of Larinaji's enthusiasm to build strategic alliances within Iran's political establishment to enhance the stature of parliament, which been criticized for a lack of independence and efficiency in the past four years.
Larijani is expected to be a serious critic of President Mahmud Ahmadinejad in the coming years. He has close ties to new technocrat leaders, such as the former head of the Iranian Revolutionary Guards Corps, Mohsen Rezaii, and the popular mayor of Tehran, Mohammed Bagher Ghalibaf - considered the leading potential rival of Ahmadinejad in the 2009 presidential elections.
Larijani is known for his unquestionable obedience to the supreme leader, and depending on Khamenei's outlook and decisions, Larijani will not have a lot of room to maneuver. If the supreme leader orders a stop to Ahmadinejad's wasteful economic and political plans, however, Larijani is the man who will be capable of mobilizing resistance in parliament.
4. US-EU "Ready" for More Iran Sanctions - BFP
Iran could be on the verge of additional sanctions from the United States and the European Union, due to the Islamic nation's refusal to halt their nuclear enrichment program. According to a declaration released from the 2008 US-EU Summit, in addition to implementing the UN Security Council resolutions against Iran already on the table, the Western powers also said, "We are ready to supplement those sanctions with additional measures."
|Chaos in California|
Chaos in California
So-called same-sex "marriages" are scheduled to begin today in California. I say "so-called," because you can steal a word and apply it to something that it isn't, but that doesn't make it so. Someone can call me tall, but that doesn't make me tall. Someone can call two men exchanging vows a "marriage," but that doesn't make it a marriage.
And because California has no law restricting marriage to state residents, homosexual activists across the country can flock to the Golden State, get "married" and then file suit in every state of the union demanding that their "marriages" be recognized. This dispute between conflicting state laws will end up in the federal courts in short order. Only the Defense of Marriage Act protects us, and Senator Obama has already announced that he wants to repeal it.
How did we get here? You've got leftwing judges across the country engaging in social engineering, ignoring the law and legislating from the bench. You've got a liberal media establishment that is trying to make the demands of the militant homosexual movement equivalent to the civil rights movement, which is ludicrous. And you've got weak-kneed politicians, like the "Terminator," Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger. In the movies, Schwarzenegger was a tough guy willing to take on robots and aliens, but when faced with screaming homosexuals and the uninformed opinion of four liberal lawyers, he became "Barney Fife," unwilling to defend the institution of marriage.
Among the first homosexuals to get "married" today will be a lesbian couple who were plantiffs in the lawsuit that led to the California Supreme Court's redefinition of marriage. One of the women told the media, "It will be nice to be able to stand there and get married and say 'We won.'"
Her declaration of victory may be premature. You will decide whether or not she and the militant homosexual movement eventually win. As I have repeatedly said, the cultural war over our values is real, and only one side will prevail. But it's up to you.
It's up to you, the voters, if California's marriage protection amendment passes this November. It's up to you to elect candidates who will defend our values and appoint the right judges. It's up to you to persuade your friends and family members that our values are worth defending and to expose the liberalism of candidates, like Barack Obama, who are pandering to extreme special interest groups. It's up to you to support organizations, like Campaign for Working Families, that are working every day to oppose the myriad of radical leftwing, George Soros-funded groups, like MoveOn.org and the ACLU, that want to redefine our values and force people of faith into the closet.
If we work harder and work together to defend faith, family and freedom, we can make America a "shining city upon a hill." But if we lose hope and give up, we will, as Lincoln warned, "meanly lose the last best hope of earth."
(Source: Gary Bauer; End-of-Day; June 16, 2008)
|S.C. Enacts Religious-Themed Laws|
South Carolina Enacts Religious-Themed Laws
South Carolina's lieutenant governor announced Thursday that he is willing to put up $4,000 of his own money so his state can become the first in the nation to issue "I Believe" license plates with the image of a cross and a stained glass window. The legislation allowing the plates was one of several religious- themed bills to became laws in the closing days of the state's legislative session. The Bills mean South Carolinians attending local government meetings could soon see the Ten Commandments and the Lord's Prayer posted on walls, pray without fear of being sued and drive home in cars with the "I Believe" plates.
Civil rights groups are considering lawsuits. An attorney for the New York-based American Jewish Congress, Mark Stern, said the bills are an obvious endorsement of religion by legislators in an election year. His group is looking to sue over the plates. (AP)
· Gracious Father, we come before You and thank You for the bravery of the State of South Carolina to withstand all political pressure and say that "Jesus Christ Is Lord." Please bless Lt. Governor André Bauer and the South Carolina legislators for taking a stand to allow their citizenry to openly honor You in public places and their auto license plates. Please protect this State and its elected officials from the attacks that will try to stop the good work that You have placed in their hearts. May the rest of the United States follow their example. In Your Son's Holy Name we pray. Amen.
· As the Pharisee Gemaliel defended Your disciples, Peter and the other apostles; may You now defend Your saints in South Carolina and throughout the United States to give us the right to give You all glory and honor. "And now I say to you, keep away from these men and let them alone; for if this plan or this work is of men, it will come to nothing; but if it is of God, you cannot overthrow it--lest you even be found to fight against God." (Acts 5: 38-39 NKJV)
|Today's Daily Jot|
Abdullah's Oil Meeting Signals Prophetic Crossroad for Islam
The radical Islamic nations represented in the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries, OPEC, are at a prophetic crossroads. The powerful Saudi Arabian King has said his country will increase oil production and has called an emergency meeting of OPEC nations to discuss oil prices. King Abdullah is about to play a very strategic card in claiming the world for Islam. Islamic nations have run up oil prices to the point of causing food riots across the world. Now Islam is at the brink of whether it throws the world into complete anarchy without the military forces to subdue it, or whether it exercises patience for a more appropriate time to launch a takeover.
Abdullah claims that market factors other than speculation are not the cause of the oil price run up. He says that there is enough supply in the market. But oil prices have brought the entire world to the breaking point. People are facing famine and starvation, runaway inflation, and economic recession because of oil prices. The Islamists have reaped huge windfall profits that have enabled them to buy heavily into the financial trade, securing large stakes in global banking and credit institutions. Islam has caused the world's breadbasket, America, to divert its reliable production of foodstuffs into products that feed petroleum demand rather than people.
Islam's artificial price run up in oil has outpaced its strategic ability to quickly colonize, radicalize, and subdue with force the nations of the world. Now Islam is faced with dramatic choices. If it continues to press oil prices higher, the world comes closer to anarchy, economies will substantially weaken, and Islam risks losing its own investments. If Islam backs off, reduces oil prices, it stages a public relations coup, essentially buying good will among the nations, and can accelerate its colonization of the developed nations. At the appropriate time, Islam will have the forces in place to subdue the nations as the price of oil is then allowed to rise unimpeded.
The world is now at the place where it is submitting to Islam. King Abdullah knows it. The Islamic world knows it. And unless the West understands these implications of Biblical proportions, the world will soon find itself in the crucible of prophecy. An angel of the Lord prophesied of Ishmael in Genesis 16:12, saying "And he will be a wild man; his hand will be against every man, and every man's hand against him; and he shall dwell in the presence of all his brethren." Ezekiel 38 prophesies of a colossal end time battle where the Islamic world with Russia leads an attack on Israel. And Revelation 13:7 speaks of the antichrist making war with the saints and overcoming them and taking control of the world. Islam may well be laying that groundwork.
Word of Life Ministry