A mortar attack ignited a huge fire Monday night at an oil facility in northern Iraq, shutting the flow of crude oil to a major refinery, and a U.S. Air Force jet crashed in Anbar province, a hotbed of the Sunni- Arab insurgency, officials said. Al-Jazeera reported that the pilot was killed.
• Pray that this hotbed of the Sunni-Arab insurgency will be broken up and that they will not be able to communicate with each other any more. • "Do not let me be ashamed, O Lord, for I have called upon You; Let the wicked be ashamed; Let them be silent in the grave. Let the lying lips be put to silence, which speak insolent things proudly and contemptuously against the righteous." (Psalms 31:17,18)
2. Iraq's President on Key Iran Visit - AP
Jalal Talabani arrives in Tehran as calls grow for Washington to get Iran's help in calming sectarian violence in Iraq. The Iraqi leader also is scheduled to meet Iran's former president, Hashemi Rafsanjani, later Monday and Iran's top leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, on Tuesday. The United States has refused to negotiate with Iran and Syria to seek their support to bring stability to Iraq, accusing both Tehran and Damascus of aiding insurgent groups in Iraq.
• Pray that we will be strengthened in our resolve to not deal with terrorists! Pray that those counseling President Bush will see that to weaken our position and speak with Iran’s leaders will allow them entry into Iraq to wreck havoc! Pray for wisdom. • "The Lord is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer; My God, my strength, in whom I will trust; My shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold." (Psalms 18:2)
3. Security Tightened for Pope's Visit to Turkey - AP
Turkish security teams took up positions around the cities of Ankara and Istanbul on Monday, a day before Pope Benedict XVI was to begin his first visit to a predominantly Muslim country. Small protests broke out in both cities, but authorities say security measures for the pope — who angered Muslims worldwide with comments in September on Islam and violence — will be tighter than they were for the visit of U.S. President George W. Bush.
• Pray that these violent protesters will be kept far from the Pope. Pray that a hedge of protection will be surrounding the Pope with the peace of the Lord! • "Let them be ashamed and confounded who seek my life; Let them be turned back and confused who desire my hurt." (Psalms 70:2)
4. National Security Advisor Steve Hadley: On NATO Summit - White House
"The focus, as you know, on the importance of the NATO mission in Afghanistan; a number of steps that need to be taken so that NATO member countries increase their capability to be able to contribute to missions like Afghanistan; and then, finally, ways that NATO can increase its ties and cooperation with countries like Japan and Korea, that are assisting – and Australia and others – that are not NATO member countries, but are nonetheless assisting NATO in military operations and talks about how to increase planning and training and other things between NATO and those countries. Those are the sort of three major focuses of the NATO meeting that will occupy us for the next couple of days."
• Pray that the eyes of the world's leaders will be opened to see the need to support President Bush in this agenda. Pray for favor. • "Then Joshua rose up early in the morning and mustered the people, and went up, he and the elders of Israel, before the people to Ai . . ." (Joshua 8:10)
5. National Security Advisor Steve Hadley: On President Bush's Meeting with Iraqi Prime Minister Al- Maliki This Week - White House
"As we've said, you know, the goal for Iraq remains the same: A democratic Iraq that is able to govern itself, defend itself, sustain itself and is an ally in the War on Terror. But we're clearly in a new phase, characterized by this increasing sectarian violence. That requires us, obviously, to adapt to that new phase and these two leaders need to be talking about how to do that and what steps Iraq needs to take and how we can support them."
• Pray that Iraqi people and leaders – especially Prime Minister Al-Maliki will be bonded forever faithfully and in a godly way to the U.S. for all that we have done for them. Pray they will be grateful and not forget their liberation! Pray for the continued hedge of protection around President Bush and the favor of God to be upon him with everyone he meets – especially the press. • "Then Jonathan and David made a covenant, because he loved him as his own soul." (1 Samuel 18:3) So Jonathan said to David, "Whatever you yourself desire, I will do it for you." (1 Samuel 20:4)
6. Cheney, Saudi king meet on ME crises - Jerusalem Post
US Vice President Dick Cheney held talks with King Abdullah on Saturday seeking Saudi Arabia's help on dealing with the spiraling violence in Iraq and a string of crises in the Mideast where American policy is on the line: Iran, Lebanon and the Palestinians.
• Pray for wisdom for all of the spokesmen for the Bush Administration, as our nation seeks to serve as a stabilizing influence in the Middle East in this hour. • "Ask and ye shall receive . . ." (John 16:24)