1. House Republicans Choose Rep. John Boehner as Minority Leader - AP
House Republicans picked John Boehner Friday to serve as minority leader when Democrats take control of Congress for the first time in 12 years in January. Boehner will succeed Speaker Dennis Hastert in the top GOP leadership post for the House.
• Pray for the Republicans to find the center of God's will now that they have lost power on the Hill. • "Let thy work appear unto thy servants, and thy glory unto their children. And let the beauty of the Lord our God be upon us: and establish thou the work of our hands upon us. . . . " ( Ps. 90: 16-17)
2. Bush Warns N. Korea: Don't Spread Nukes - AP
President Bush on Thursday warned North Korea against transferring nuclear weapons or material to other countries, saying such an act would be considered a "grave threat" to the United States.
• Continue to pray for wisdom and knowledge as President Bush seeks and gives counsel on North Korea's nuclear weapons. • "A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength. For by wise counsel thou shalt make thy war: and in multitude of counsellors there is safety." (Prov. 24:5-6) "And He shall be the stability of your times, A wealth of salvation, wisdom, and knowledge; The fear of the Lord is his treasure." (Isaiah 33:6)
3. Russia, U.S. Disagree on Iran Sanctions - Fox News
After three weeks of talks, the United States and key European countries remain locked in fundamental disagreement with Russia about the scope of U.N. sanctions that Iran should face for refusing to rein in its nuclear program.
• "Through Thee we will push back our adversaries; Through Thy name we trample down those who rise up against us." (Psalm 44:5)
4. Iran, Syria Seek Interoperability - MENL
Iran and Syria have launched an effort to ensure military interoperability. Western intelligence sources said the effort was meant to ensure that the two militaries could coordinate attacks, share information and launch joint ground and missile operations. They said the effort began in 2005 and was formalized in a defense cooperation accord signed last November.
• "A man’s heart plans his way, but the Lord directs his steps." (Prov. 16:9)
5. Iran declaring 'economic warfare' - World Net Daily
Iran may have signed a virtual "death warrant" by openly declaring a governmental decision to move away from the dollar in the country's foreign- exchange transactions, says WND columnist Jerome Corsi.
• "My fruit is better than gold, even pure gold, and my yield than choicest silver." (Proverbs 8:19)
6. South Africa's Parliament Approves Gay Marriages - All Headline News
The Parliament of South Africa has consented to new legislation recognizing same-sex marriages. This comes as a first for a continent with the widely held belief that homosexuality is taboo.
• "And the kings of the earth and the great men and the commanders and the rich and the strong and every slave and free man, hid themselves in the caves and among the rocks of the mountains; and they said to the mountains and to the rocks, "Fall on us and hide us from the presence of Him who sits on the throne, and form the wrath of the Lamb." (Revelation 6: 15-16)