Maryland lawmaker wins heated battle for House No. 2 post, defeating Nancy Pelosi-backed candidate John Murtha.
• Lift up Rep. Steny Hoyer in prayer as he prepares to assume his new position in the House of Representatives, asking our Lord to grace Him with all the knowledge and skill he will need to serve in this place. Lift up Nancy Pelosi, too, who was officially appointed the Speaker of the House by her party, when it gains control in January. Intercede for all new leaders on the Hill, lest pride and arrogance overtake them, causing them to fall. • "He has showed you, O man, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God." (Micah 6:8)
2. It Takes 60 Votes, Republican Senator Says - CNSNews.com
Since it takes 60 votes to get most things accomplished in the Senate, Democrats -- who are nine votes short of the magic 60 number -- will have to work in consultation with Republicans, incoming Minority Leader Mitch McConnell said on Thursday.
• Offer praise that the filibuster is still in place as a procedural rule in the Senate -- a safeguard to be used by the minority when there are deep concerns about a majority opinion. Ask that all that is done in the 110th Congress be carried out decently and in order. • " . . . if two of you agree on earth concerning anything that they ask, it will be done for them by My Father in heaven." (Matt. 18:19)
3. First Muslim Congressman Won't Address Muslim Group After All - CNSNews.com
Congressman-elect Keith Ellison, the first Muslim elected to the House of Representatives, will not address a meeting of an Islamic advocacy group on Saturday, even though the group has been advertising since the election that Ellison would be the keynote speaker.
• Offer praise for this good report, and pray that Keith Ellison will come to the saving knowledge of the Lord Jesus Christ. • " . . . if GOD peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth and that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil who are taken captive by him at his will." (2 Tim. 2:25b,26)
4. White House Still Trying to Advance Stalled Judges - CNSNews.com
Even under a Republican-controlled Congress, the Bush administration has been stymied on some of its conservative judicial picks, and now the White House is trying again - resubmitting six judicial nominations before Democrats take control of Congress.
• "Whenever the Lord raised up a judge for them, he was with the judge and saved them out of the hands of their enemies . . ." (Judges 2:18a)
5. McCain Makes Moves for '08 Run - AP
Arizona senator to form presidential exploratory committee; former HHS Secretary Tommy Thompson says he'll join him.
• Even as the work of the new Congress is taking the headlines today, let us not forget to pray NOW over all who desire to run for the White House in 20008. Many names are being talked about; thank the Lord that He has chosen one from each party to finally run in the next presidential campaign. Bind the spirit of confusion that may surround the next election; and ask for peace, order and clarity in the season ahead. • "When the Righteous are in authority, the people rejoice." (Proverbs 29:2)
6. 12 Dead as Storms Ravage Southeast - AP
At least eight killed after tornado rips through N.C. town; severe storms, flooding leave thousands without power.
• Ask our Lord to comfort those who have lost loved ones in these storms; and ask that great strength be given to those who are working to help the other victims in their aftermath. • "Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain Mercy and find Grace to help in time of need." (Heb. 4:16)