Mississippi senator, ousted as GOP majority leader four years ago, wins election for Republican Party's minority whip. In the House, meanwhile, Republicans are growing increasingly frustrated with their choices in the upcoming leadership election.
• Continue in earnest prayer throughout this week, as decisions are made on the Hill that will affect the leadership of both parties, in both chambers. • "The effectual, fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much." (James 5:16)
2. Abizaid, Levin Clash on Iraq Timetable - Washington Post
Top U.S. commander tells Senate panel he's 'optimistic' about stabilizing Iraq; Senator Carl Levin counters with call to start withdrawal clock. Senator Levin is the new Democratic head of the Senate Armed Services Committee.
• Lord we pray that only Your plan will prevail over the Iraq situation. Let no political agenda be accomplished that would cause Iraq to be given over to extremists. • “The counsel of the Lord stands forever, the plans of His heart to all generations.” (Psalm 33:11)
3. President Bush Announces Support For Sen. Martinez To Serve As RNC Chairman - AP
President Bush tapped Florida Sen. Mel Martinez, a prominent Hispanic who served in the Cabinet, to assume the high-profile post of Republican National Committee general chairman.
• Lord we ask Your blessing and protection over Senator Martinez as he steps into the chairman role of the RNC. Give him wisdom, understanding, and discernment as he takes on the challenges ahead. • “A wise man will hear, and will increase learning; and a man of understanding will attain unto wise counsel.” (Proverbs 1:5)
4. Bush Lunches With Vladimir Putin En Route to Asia Tour - AP
President George W. Bush, eager for Russia's help in resolving nuclear disputes with North Korea and Iran, paid a quick call on Russian President Vladimir Putin during a fueling stop ahead of his Asia tour. Bush stopped to see Putin on his way to Asia for an eight- day trip that includes stays in Singapore, Vietnam and Indonesia. The president has bilateral meetings scheduled with several important allies, including Putin, on the sidelines of a summit of Pacific Rim leaders in Hanoi, Vietnam, later this week. But only Putin rated a social call as well.
• Pray that the Lord will encourage President Bush and give him wisdom, and that the hearts of these leaders will be turned toward the Lord. • “When a man’s ways please the Lord, He makes even his enemies to be at peace with him.” (Proverbs 16:7)
5. Al-Jazeera English Launch Faces Hurdles in US - CNSNews.com
The worldwide launch of the English-language version of al-Jazeera, scheduled to take place Wednesday, has been hindered by the network's inability to secure a high-profile U.S. carrier and by conservatives' efforts to block the station.
• Lord we pray to unravel every evil agenda that may be hidden within al-Jazeera’s broadcasts. • “No weapon formed against you shall prosper and every tongue that rises against you in judgment you shall condemn.” (Isaiah 54:17)
6. Saudis Plan to Fence Their Border With Iraq - BBC
Saudi Arabia, fearful of a disintegrating Iraq, says it will build a fence along its border with that country to keep Islamic militants and illegal immigrants out.
• Lord we pray for Your visitation and the salvation of the people of Iraq, and Saudi Arabia. We ask for stability in Iraq and a moving of Your Holy Spirit across all of the Middle East. • “We have a strong city: salvation will God appoint for walls and bulwarks.” (Isaiah 26:1)
7. Small Tsunamis Hit Northern Japan Following Large Quake - AP
A series of small tsunamis hit northern Japan Wednesday following a powerful 7.8 magnitude earthquake that struck sparsely populated islands to the north. Residents said they barely felt the quake and there were no immediate reports of damage or injuries.
• Offer praise that, in the midst of this major quake, no lives were lost and property damage was minimal. • "It is of the LORD's mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not." (Lam. 3:22)