Sunday, November 5:
International Day of Prayer
for the Persecuted Church
For details, please go here.
Capitol Hill Prayer Partners
P.O. Box 5152
Herndon, VA 20172-1970
The Daily Brief
"Praying for All in Authority"
Thursday, November 2, 2017
"When the enemy shall come in like a flood, the Spirit of the LORD shall lift up a standard against him." (Isaiah 59:19)
To help sustain our work, please go here. Thank you!
"United Together . . . Under the Cross of Christ . . ."
Terrorist Attack in New York City
Terrorist Attack in New York City
1. 'Deadliest Terror Attack in New York Since 9/11'-Cowardly Terrorist Shouted 'Allahu Akbar' after Murderous Rampage with Rented Van - CBN
Saipov is in custody, recovering at a New York Hospital, but investigators believe he planned to die. They recovered a note he left in that Home Depot truck, written in a foreign language, reportedly saying he carried out the attack on behalf of ISIS.
New York City remains on high alert as the FBI and police investigate the deadliest terror incident to hit the city since the September 11th attacks.
Investigators say the suspect drove a Home Depot rental truck along a bike path on Manhattan's lower West side Tuesday afternoon, hitting pedestrians and crashing into a school bus.
He killed at least eight people and wounded more than a dozen others, 11 of them seriously injured. The suspect is hospitalized as well after being shot and captured.
Police say the attacker was Sayfullo Saipov, 29, a legal immigrant from Uzbekistan. He had been a commercial truck driver in Ohio, had a Florida driver's license, and had also driven for Uber in New Jersey.
He reportedly rented the truck not far from his Paterson, New Jersey home. Then he plowed it along a Manhattan bike and pedestrian path just blocks away from where the Twin Towers once stood, aiming to run over people.
Eyewitnesses say they heard Saipov yelling "Allahu Akbar" as he tried to run away. That's an Islamic phrase which means "Allah is the greatest." (Read more)
- Father God, we are still "reeling" from the impact of this attack. Lord God Almighty, we cry out to You for MERCY. Please visit these jihadist terrorists in their sleep, and reveal to each one the terror of the living God. May each one REPENT and run to You for salvation, in Your Name only we pray, amen!
- "It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God." (Hebrews 10:31)
2. Who is New York terror suspect Sayfullo Saipov? - CNN
His life seemed mundane enough. After moving from Uzbekistan in 2010, Sayfullo Habibullaevic Saipov bounced across the United States and eventually settled down in New Jersey with his wife and three children, driving for Uber, officials said. Yet somehow along the way, Saipov became "radicalized domestically," New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo said.
Those radical thoughts culminated in Tuesday's attack, when Saipov plowed into a crowd of pedestrians and bicyclists just blocks away from the World Trade Center, authorities said. At least eight people were killed in New York CIty's deadliest terror attack since 9/11. "It appears that Mr. Saipov has been planning this for a number of weeks. He did this in the name of ISIS," said John Miller, New York Police Department deputy commissioner for intelligence and counterterrorism.
"He appears to have followed -- almost exactly to a T -- the instructions that ISIS has put out in its social media channels before, with instructions to their followers on how to carry out such an attack." (Read more)
- Father God, we now understand that Sayfullo Saipov has shared much information with law enforcement officials since his capture. We ask that that information be used to help identify and apprehend other Islamic "lone wolves" that are out there, preventing further loss of life on the streets of our nation. Let this be the end we pray, amen.
- "Let the wickedness of the wicked come to an end . . ." (Psalm 7:9)
3. What Sayfullo Saipov told investigators from his hospital bed - CNN
The New York truck attack suspect made a number of disclosures while speaking to investigators from his hospital bed, where he was recovering from a gunshot wound suffered during the course of the attack, according to a document released by the United States Attorney Southern District of New York. Among them:
- Saipov told investigators he was inspired to carry out the truck attack by ISIS videos he watched on his cell phone.
- In particular, he told investigators he was inspired by a video of ISIS leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi asking what Muslims in the US were doing to respond to the killing of Muslims in Iraq.
- He rented a truck on Oct. 22, 2017, to "practice making turns."
- He purposely chose Halloween as the date for the attack "because he believed there would be more civilians on the street for the holiday."
- He planned to display ISIS flags on the truck but decided against it so as not to draw attention to himself - He asked investigators if he could display ISIS's flag in his hospital room, telling them he felt good about what he had done. (See more)
- Father, we pray justice is served to Saipov for the horrendous acts he committed to those in New York. We know he is ruled by hate and under the influence of the evil one. We pray this kind of terrorist act will not rise up a second time. We speak protection over our citizens.
- "Everyone who hates his brother is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life abiding in him." (1 John 3:15)
4. Videos showing ISIS-related killings, bomb-making found on terror suspect's cellphones - CNN
Investigators found dozens of videos and thousands of images of terror propaganda on the New York attack suspect's cellphones, according to court documents released by the United States Attorney for the Southern District of New York.
Here's what investigators found on Sayfullo Saipov's cellphones:
- 3,800 images: Investigators found many ISIS-related images. Some depicted the symbol of the ISIS's media wing, others showed ISIS leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi. One showed a member of ISIS standing next to a person who appears to be shot.
- 90 videos: They also found many ISIS-related videos. One showed ISIS fighters driving over a prisoner with a tank, another showed a beheading, and a third showed ISIS fighters shooting a prisoner in the face. One appeared to provide instructions on how to make a homemade improvised explosive device. (Read more)
- Lord God, thank You that this evidence is now in the hands of those who can best make use of it. Guide them, Lord, as they tackle this huge task of examining all of this evidence in an effort to thwart other terrorist attacks that may be planned in the future. Amen.
- "I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go . . ." (Psalm 32:8)
5. Terror attack victims include students, school staff and tourists celebrating reunion - New York Post
Information about the victims in the deadly truck rampage in downtown Manhattan has started to emerge, with officials identifying the nationalities of some who died. Argentina's Foreign Ministry has confirmed that five friends from the country - who were in town celebrating the 30th anniversary of their high school graduation - were among the dead. Didier Reynders, Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Affairs Minister for Belgium, wrote on Twitter that at least one the victims was Belgian.
Tuesday's terror attack left eight people dead and nearly a dozen injured. A spokesperson for Schools Chancellor Carmen Farina told The Post that two staff members and two students were among those who were wounded. They had been on a school bus, which was struck by suspected terrorist Sayfullo Saipov. One of the students was said to be in critical condition.
"My thoughts, condolences and prayers to the victims and families of the New York City terrorist attack," tweeted President Trump. "God and your country are with you!" (Read more)
- Father, we lift up these families who are in total shock over the loss of their loved ones - especially these Argentinian families who are so far away. Help us, Lord, respond as a nation with compassion and resolve to keep our citizens and visitors safe.
- For all of them were trying to frighten us, thinking, "They will become discouraged with the work and it will not be done." But now, O God, strengthen my hands. (Nehemiah 6:9)
6. Trump Would Consider Terror Suspect Enemy Combatant - Newsmax
President Donald Trump would consider declaring the New York City terror attack suspect an enemy combatant and sending him to Guantánamo Bay because "the actions he took certainly justify that," White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said Wednesday. "We would consider him that in terms of how we would process him, yes," she told reporters at the daily briefing. "I don't believe that determination has been made. "That's something we'll wait until we get further into the process."
Trump said earlier Wednesday that he would consider sending Sayfullo Saipov, 29, the Uzbek immigrant whom authorities followed an Islamic State playbook "to a T" in carrying out the truck-mowing attack Tuesday that killed eight people and injured a dozen others in Manhattan, to the U.S. prison in Cuba. "Send him to Gitmo, I would certainly consider that, yes," President Trump told reporters before a Cabinet meeting at the White House.
The president's comments came after Sen. Lindsey Graham, the South Carolina Republican who sits on the Senate Armed Services Committee, called for Saipov to be declared an enemy combatant - allowing authorities to question him without a lawyer. "If you take up arms against the United States in the name of radical Islam, you should be treated as a terrorist," Graham said. "You'll never convince me that the best way to gather intelligence in this war . . . is reading them their Miranda rights." (Read more)
- Yes, Father, we pray Saipov will be charged as an enemy combatant. We agree with Lindsay Graham who said, "If you take up arms against the United States in the name of radical Islam, you should be treated as a terrorist."
- "These six things the Lord hates, Yes, seven are an abomination to Him: A proud look, A lying tongue, Hands that shed innocent blood, A heart that devises wicked plans, Feet that are swift in running to evil." (Proverbs 6:16-18)
7. Trump slams Sen. Chuck Schumer, immigration system in wake of NYC attack - Washington Times
President Trump slammed an immigration program Wednesday that he claims admitted the suspect responsible for the attack in New York City. "The terrorist came into our country through what is called the 'Diversity Visa Lottery Program,' a Chuck Schumer beauty. I want merit based," Mr. Trump tweeted, referring to the New York Democratic senator.
"We are fighting hard for Merit Based immigration, no more Democrat Lottery Systems. We must get MUCH tougher (and smarter). @foxandfriends," Mr. Trump added, with a mention of Fox News' morning show "Fox & Friends." "'Senator Chuck Schumer helping to import Europes problems' said Col.Tony Shaffer. We will stop this craziness! @foxandfriends" Mr. Trump tweeted. Mr. Trump and Republican lawmakers have advocated for a merit-based immigration system that would give priority to those with a higher education, or who already speak English when trying to enter the U.S.
The current Diversity Immigrant Visa is a lottery system that gives 50,000 permanent resident visas each year with the goal of diversifying the population. The system typically picks applicants from countries with lower immigration rates, a point that Mr. Schumer proposed when he was a member of the House in the 1990s when this law was drafted. (Read more)
- Father, we pray the needed changes to our immigration system will work their way through Congress, giving President Trump a bill he can sign and keep our nation safe.
- "God will judge those on the outside; but as the Scriptures say, "You must remove the evil person from among you." (1 Corinthians 5:13)
8. Trump stiffening extreme vetting of foreigners after New York truck attack - Washington Times
President Trump ordered Tuesday increased extreme vetting of foreign visitors to the U.S. in response to the deadly terror attack in New York City. "I have just ordered Homeland Security to step up our already Extreme Vetting Program. Being politically correct is fine, but not for this!" Mr. Trump wrote on Twitter.
Mr. Trump did not elaborate on what exactly he had ordered done. Several of his earlier efforts to tighten limits on immigrants and refugees, especially from majority-Muslim nations, have been blocked by U.S. courts. "We must not allow ISIS to return, or enter, our country after defeating them in the Middle East and elsewhere. Enough!" Mr. Trump had tweeted. (Read more)
- Father, we pray President Trump will be able to implement these restrictions without judicial interference.
- Where there is no revelation, people cast off restraint; but blessed is the one who heeds wisdom's instruction. (Proverbs 29:18)
Focus on Israel
1. Iranian leader urges all Muslims to fight Israel -Times of Israel
Iran's top religious and political leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, urged all Muslims to engage in "different methods" of fighting against Israel.
In a letter to the International Union of Resistance Scholars, a group that has convened anti-Israel gatherings in the past, Khamenei wrote that the "unforgettable responsibility" for removing Israel "rests upon the shoulders of the entire Muslim world."
2. Israeli Defense Minister criticizes Bennett, defends IDF Spokesperson - Jerusalem Online
Today (Tuesday), Israeli Education Minister Naftali Bennett's criticism of the IDF Spokesperson's statement was met with disapproval by Defense Minister Avigdor Lieberman.
"The briefing of the IDF Spokesperson must not serve as an excuse for a blatant assault on the IDF and its commanders," Lieberman wrote on his Facebook page. "Such statements are a grave blow to the security of Israel and the entire IDF. We will continue to act with determination, force and responsibility for the security of Israeli citizens."
3. Police to set up new unit to provide security on Temple Mount - Israel Hayom
The Israel Police will establish a special unit to secure the Temple Mount in Jerusalem, Public Security Minister Gilad Erdan announced Tuesday at an event in honor of Jerusalem District Police officers.
The unit's officers will "protect visitors to the Temple Mount and will have the most advanced intelligence and technological resources in existence available to them," Erdan said.
"I envision Jerusalem becoming within two years not only the holiest city in the world but one of the safest cities in the world, with the most advanced technology that exists today. The city will become a role model for advanced cities throughout the world, both in terms of the skills of the police deployed in and in terms of the technologies that exist there," he said.
4. Hamas hands over control of Gaza crossings to Palestinian Authority - World Israel News
The Hamas terror group relinquished control over three border crossings in the Gaza Strip to the Palestinian Authority (PA) Wednesday, fulfilling a key stage in the reconciliation agreement recently signed by the two rival factions.
PA President Mahmoud Abbas sent his representatives and staff to the Erez crossing on Gaza's northern border with Israel, and to the Karem Shalom crossing abutting the Israeli border to the south.
While the Rafah crossing-hitherto tightly controlled by Egypt amid suspicions that Hamas has been providing succor to the Islamic militants wreaking havoc in the Sinai Peninsula-also witnessed the exchange of authority among the Palestinian ranks, it will remain closed while Cairo installs what it sees as fundamental security arrangements.
These include the stationing of pro-Abbas guards, in addition to Egypt beefing up facilities to serve as a bulwark against infiltration by terrorists.
5. Lebanese media: Israel bombed Hezbollah weapons depot in Syria - Times of Israel
Israeli jets destroyed a Hezbollah weapons warehouse in western Syria on Wednesday night, according to Lebanese media.
Syria was said to have fired anti-aircraft missiles at the Israeli Air Force jets, though there were no reports of planes being shot down.
The IDF refused to comment on the alleged strike, in accordance with its policy not to acknowledge raids across the border.
According to the Lebanon 24 outlet, the Israeli jets carried out the strike from eastern Lebanese airspace.
The Daily Brief
1. Facebook, Twitter drop 'bombshell' on Trump-Russia 'collusion' - WND
Limbaugh: 'This is the exact opposite of what everybody has been led to believe'
For many months, Democrats, the mainstream media and even social-media networks have been insisting President Trump colluded with the Russians during the 2016 presidential election and Russia purchased political ads on Facebook and Twitter to stop Americans from voting for Hillary Clinton.
But the whole truth is, Russia bought many ads after Election Day and plastered them all over Facebook and Twitter in a coordinated effort to undermine President Trump.
That's according to top lawyers from Facebook and Twitter who testified before a Senate Judiciary panel Tuesday.
Facebook general counsel Colin Stretch told the panel that a Russian troll farm called Internet Research Agency created content after Nov. 8 in a campaign focused on "fomenting discord about the validity of [Trump's] election," Politico reported. (Read more)
- Lord God, we regret that, as news of the terrorist attack in New York City hit yesterday's headlines, this explosive information, given in front of the Senate Judiciary panel, has disappeared. We ask that the searchlight of the Holy Spirit would shine its beams upon this report, that the American people would discover this layer of deception. In Your name, amen.
- "For nothing is hidden, except to be revealed; nor has anything been secret, but that it would come to light." (Mark 4:22)
2. The Swamp Wins: Trump Expected to Nominate Powell to Replace Yellen - The Mises Institute
In the end Donald Trump will get what he wanted, a "low interest rate person" who also happened to be a "Republican." Jerome Powell is expected to replace Janet Yellen in an announcement later this week. If so, this means Trump will ensure that, while the stationary at the Eccles Building will change, the monetary policy guiding it likely will not. The fact that, in naming Powell, Trump is picking an Obama-appointed Fed Governor for his most important nominations is itself quite fitting. While we have long known that bad monetary policy is bipartisan, Powell's nomination serves as a particularly useful illustration of how little has changed in Washington since the Bush Administration.
Going forward, it will be interesting to see how Republicans in the House and Senate proceed. For years now, House Financial Services Committee Chairman Jeb Hensarling has been pushing Fed reform which would have included requiring the Fed to adopted rule-based monetary policy. While this would have complimented the nomination of John Taylor or Kevin Warsh, Powell has made it clear that he opposes such limits being placed on the Fed. (Read more)
- Father, we pray Jerome Powell will exceed expectations as the new Federal Reserve Chairman and we pray this and future appointments by President Trump will bring additional transparency and accountability to this important institution.
- Good planning and hard work lead to prosperity, but hasty shortcuts lead to poverty. (Proverbs 21:5)
3. Tech Giants Are Biggest Threat Facing Trump Supporters - American Greatness
After tech giants testified before Congress on Tuesday, Americans should realize the richest and most powerful U.S. companies wield power and influence in a way not seen since the railroad tycoons and John D. Rockefeller's Standard Oil. Google just announced it would partner with the George Soros-backed Poynter Institute to provide "fact-checking" for its search functions. In other words, Google and Soros (by proxy) will determine what is factual and whether it will appear in search results.
This suppression of views is occurring even as Google is being sued by conservative radio host Dennis Prager over censorship of his Prager University educational videos. Apple recently removed a pro-life prayer app from its App Store after left-wing bloggers complained about it. Amazon admitted to taking down negative reviews of Hillary Clinton's book. Former Facebook employees admitted they were instructed to remove positive news stories that were trending about conservatives to reduce their reach.
And let's not forget Twitter, which has now openly set itself up as the arbiter of acceptable speech. Twitter recently removed U.S. Rep. Marsha Blackburn's video announcing her candidacy for the U.S. Senate because it expressed her pro-life position. After considerable backlash, Twitter relented and reinstated the Tennessee Republican's ad. These companies are so big and powerful that they have no fear of blatantly censoring conservative speech-they will even censor Blackburn, who chairs the communications and technology subcommittee in the House of Representatives!
With the protections of Section 230 of the Community Decency Act, Silicon Valley executives can undermine the First Amendment rights of all Americans with no accountability. The most immediate legislative solution would be to remove the legal protections of Section 230 should an "interactive computer service" be found to practice viewpoint discrimination. Opening these companies to full legal liability for censorship is essential to ensure Americans keep free speech rights. (Read more)
- Father, we pray the freedom to share our thoughts will be restored and protected through the repeal of Section 230 of the Community Decency Act. We pray those who are systematically infringing on the First Amendment will be held accountable for viewpoint discrimination.
- So if the Son makes you free, you will be free indeed. (John 8:36)
4. Members of Scientific Boards Received $77 Million From EPA While Advising Agency - Washington Free Beacon
Environmental Protection Agency administrator Scott Pruitt said Tuesday the days of "political science" are over at the agency, announcing a new conflict of interest policy that prevents individuals sitting on EPA scientific boards from receiving grants from the agency.
Under the last three years of the Obama administration, members sitting on just three of the agency's scientific advisory boards received $77 million in EPA grants. Pruitt said individuals advising in policy and regulatory matters should be completely independent of the EPA. "Whatever science that we're involved in at the EPA should not be political science," Pruitt said. The directive will go into effect immediately.
The EPA is finalizing appointments to three of its scientific advisory boards: Board of Scientific Counselors (BOSC), the Clean Air Scientific Advisory Committee (CASAC), and the Science Advisory Board. Pruitt said current members who are asked to continue their service and have received EPA grants would have to forgo grant funding if they stay on the board. "You can choose service on the committee or choose the grant, you can't do both," Pruitt said. "And that's the fair thing to the American people."
The EPA will continue its ethics review for all members appointed to advisory boards, which addresses conflict of interest on whether applicants have received funding from third parties or industry. (Read more)
- Father, we pray Your blessing upon this decision to separate EPA advisors from those receiving grants. We pray Secretary Pruitt will have great wisdom as he removes political manipulation from his agency.
- Do nothing from selfishness or empty conceit, but with humility of mind regard one another as more important than yourselves. (Philippians 2:3)
5. GOP Lawmaker: Tea Party Apology Not Accepted, "Heads Should Roll" at IRS - Newsmax
Rep. Vern Buchanan, R-Fla., did not accept the apology from the Internal Revenue Service for targeting groups based their political leanings. "Heads should roll and people should be held accountable for this gross abuse of power," Buchanan, chairman of the House Ways and Means Oversight subcommittee said in a press release on Monday.
Court documents filed Wednesday showed that the IRS apologized and agreed not to single out applications based on the political views of an organization. The Trump administration settled lawsuits with dozens of tea party groups over that treatment. "An apology five years after the fact is not good enough. The American people need to know they can be critical of their government without fear of retribution," Buchanan said.
The Republican lawmaker also urged the Justice Department to look again at criminal charges for Lois Lerner, a former IRS official. The Justice Department recently declined to charge Lerner, saying that reopening that probe "would not be appropriate based on the available evidence." "Lerner betrayed the nation's trust yet managed to avoid prosecution," Buchanan said in the press release. (Read more)
- Father, thank You that the IRS apologized for their targeting certain groups for their political views, however, they should be held accountable for their actions. We pray that our government will perform to the highest standards to protect all people, regardless of their views.
- So then each one of us will give an account of himself to God. (Romans 14:12)
6. House Takes Up Bill to Protect the Unborn with a Heartbeat - CBN News
Abortion defenders have long said all that's being aborted is a clump of cells. But pro-life forces say if a heartbeat can be detected, that proves what's inside the womb is a life and should be protected. A new bill in Congress, HR490, would make the presence of that heartbeat the standard for outlawing an abortion. Some 170 House members back the Heartbeat Protection Act, which had its first hearing on Capitol Hill Wednesday. Polling by the Barna Group shows 69 percent of Americans back the bill.
"That's 86 percent of Republicans, 61 percent of Independents, and yes, even a Democrat majority by 55 percent," said Faith2Action president Janet Porter, the originator of the first heartbeat bill, at a Capitol Hill news conference. Rep. Steven King, R-Iowa, the main sponsor of this congressional bill, said, "We have a nearly universal consensus in America - wherever you sit on the political spectrum - that human life is sacred." (Read more)
- Father, we pray these hearings would cause people to be moved with compassion for the unborn. We pray this process will advance the legal foundation of the rights of the unborn and our duty to protect them. We pray HR490 will pass the House of Representatives, the Senate and be signed by President Trump.
- To do righteousness and justice is desired by the Lord more than sacrifice.
7. Victory for the Innocents! Judge Rules California Law Making Pro-Life Pregnancy Centers Refer Patients to Abortion Clinics Violates State Constitution - Christian Newswire
Judge Gloria Trask explained, "Here, the State commands clinics to post specific directions for whom to contact to obtain an abortion. It forces the clinic to point the way to the abortion clinic and can leave patients with the belief they were referred to an abortion provider by that clinic. In Scharpen's case that would be inaccurate, profoundly inaccurate."
Moreover, we argued and Judge Trask agreed, ruling that, "The State can deliver its message without infringing upon anyone's liberty. It may purchase television advertisements as it does to encourage Californians to sign up for Covered California or to conserve water. It may purchase billboard space and post its message directly in front of Scharpen Foundation's clinic . . ."
"Compelled speech must be subject to reasonable limitation," continued Judge Trask. "The statute compels the clinic to speak words with which it profoundly disagrees when the state has numerous alternative methods of publishing its message . . . In this case, however virtuous the State's ends, they do not justify its means." (Read more)
- Thank you, Father for this ruling. We continue to pray victory for Pro-LIfe.
- Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb a reward.
8. McCarthy Pushes Back Against California Governor in Heated Tax Debate - Washington Free Beacon
House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy, the highest-ranking California Republican in Congress, on Wednesday challenged the state governor's warning about the proposed elimination of the state and local tax deduction in a GOP tax-reform proposal. The same day California's state gas tax increase of 12 cents per gallon kicked in, McCarthy called on California Gov. Jerry Brown (D.) to channel his recent concern about the GOP tax reform plan into lowering state tax levels as well.
"If Gov. Brown is worried about the tax burden, let's make cutting [taxes] a federal and state project," McCarthy said in a video his office released Wednesday. "We're lowering rates at the federal level. So if Gov. Brown works to lower rates in California, I will stand right beside him to get that done."
Brown last week sent letters to the Republican members of the California Congressional delegation, calling on them to oppose any type of proposal that would eliminate the state and local tax deduction, also known as SALT. California-a populous, high-tax state-would be among the locales hit hardest by the SALT elimination in the proposed GOP tax reform. However, McCarthy emphasized that the GOP proposal offsets the SALT elimination by doubling the standard deduction, which he said, "means the first $24,000 per couple is tax free, actually lowering rates for most Californians." (Read more)
- Father, we pray Congress will pass tax reform that is best for the entire nation and not cower to pressure from states that are poorly governed.
- Listen to me, you who know right from wrong, you who cherish my law in your hearts. Do not be afraid of people's scorn, nor fear their insults. (Isaiah 51:7)
9. Iran Threatens Ballistic Missile Strikes on American Forces, Can Hit 'All U.S. Bases' - Washington Free Beacon
A top Iranian military commander has threatened to launch ballistic missile attacks on U.S. forces in the region amid a public effort by the Islamic Republic to show off its advanced missile capabilities, according to U.S. officials and regional reports. Iranian leaders disclosed that their advanced ballistic missile technology, which could be used as part of a nuclear weapons program, is sophisticated enough to strike U.S. forces up to nearly 1,300 miles, or 2,000 kilometers, away, which encompasses all U.S. bases in the region. U.S. military and administration officials told the Free Beacon the United States is cementing multiple plans to counter Iran's ballistic missile threat and will continue to pursue these efforts despite Iranian threats of military violence.
U.S. defense officials remain concerned about Iran's harassment of U.S. naval vessels in the region, "especially in the strategically vital Arabian Gulf," according to the military official. "In support of this strategy, DoD is reviewing the entire breadth of our security cooperation activities, force posture, and plans," Rankine-Galloway said. "We are identifying new areas where we will work with allies to put pressure on the Iranian regime, neutralize its destabilizing influences, and constrain its aggressive power projection, particularly its support for terrorist groups and militants." (Read more)
- Father, we pray You would help our military distinguish between real threats and bluster. Bring Iran to heel, like a dog on Your leash.
- The wicked plot against the righteous and gnash their teeth at them; but the Lord laughs at the wicked, for he knows their day is coming. (Psalm 37:12-13)
10. US pushes Saudi-Iraqi alliance to stem Iranian expansion - Jerusalem Post
Iraqi Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi smiled as he met King Salman of Saudi Arabia on October 22. Brett McGurk, the US special presidential envoy for the Global Coalition to Defeat ISIS was in Riyadh as well with US secretary of state Rex Tillerson. "With Secretary Tillerson to welcome historic opening and now strengthening ties between Iraq and KSA [Kingdom of Saudi Arabia]," he wrote on October 21.
Creating an Iraq-Saudi alliance has been a special project of President Donald Trump's administration - and McGurk has played a key role. Although his mission is to be the US envoy to the global coalition fighting ISIS, which includes some 70 countries, he often tweets about Saudi Arabia and Iraq. "Breakthrough diplomacy over last 9 months by secretary Tillerson, Iraqi, Saudi leaders. Vital to post-ISIS stabilization in region," he wrote on October 22. He seeks to highlight comments by the Saudi foreign minister Adel el-Jubeir and remarks by Abadi on Saudi Arabia, including mundane details like Abadi receiving an invitation to Riyadh. He even tweeted about the first Saudi flight to land in Baghdad since the Gulf War. (Read more)
- Father, we pray these alliances will balance the power in the Middle East and bring peace to Israel.
- "Pray for the peace of Jerusalem: "May those who love you be secure. May there be peace within your walls and security within your citadels." (Psalm 122:6-7)
11. 200 feared dead after tunnel collapses at North Korean nuclear test site, Japanese TV claims - Fox News
About 200 people are feared dead in North Korea after underground tunnels at a nuclear test site that was feared to be unstable reportedly collapsed, crushing 100 people in the initial cave-in and 100 others when the tunnels again gave way on top of rescuers.
The collapse at the Punggye-ri test site on Oct. 10 occurred while people were doing construction on the underground tunnel, Japan's Asahi TV reported, citing a source in North Korea. The television station also said North Korea's sixth nuclear test on Sept. 3 most likely caused the tunnel to crumble and created serious damage in the region.
No officials have confirmed the Japanese TV station's claims, but experts have feared for more than a month that the test site was on the verge of crumbling since the nuclear blast. (Read more)
- Father, we thank You for this answer to prayer. We are saddened by this loss of life, but we thank You that, by Your hand, the earth has swallowed this nuclear test site, undoubtedly slowing down the country's nuclear program. Amen.
- "Call upon Me, and I will answer you . . ." (Jeremiah 33:3a)
The Daily Jot
Wednesday, November 1, 2017
Word of God or word of man?
The Apostle Paul writes in 2 Timothy 3:16, "All scripture is given by inspiration of YHVH, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness." But what happens when man gets away from SCRIPTURE and starts putting his own concepts of what God means into his lexicon of beliefs? We then see the beginnings of bad doctrine in the least, growing into heresy, and, sadly, the replacement of what should be the first love of Jesus for the pride of the human mind. There is a forgetfulness of the right relationship between man and his Creator where the mind of man tries to govern the Word of God.
This is a problem. Everyday, scripture is taken out of context to support man's concept. It's called eisegesis. Often we just see bad teaching upon bad teaching--man's precept upon man's precept--manifest itself into faux facts that cause division, insecurity, hostility and accusations. What of the man who is so self-assured of his knowledge that he takes great pride in attacking another's viewpoint without studying both sides? I think Jesus had a response to that sort of thing when he said in Matthew 7:4, "Let me pull out the mote out of your eye; and behold a beam is in your own eye? Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of your own eye; then shall thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye."
Many people try to advance their own pet doctrine accusing others of not knowing or understanding the scripture. But when one studies it with cross-references and context, it is confirmed that the accuser's mind is trying to govern the Word of God. The accuser is usually the one who is actually doing his own accusations. Sometimes, it's just prideful ignorance because the accuser just hasn't considered the full context of what he is saying. Acts 17:11 speaks of the Bereans, saying, "These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so." We would do well to be like the Bereans.
When we start putting our own concepts of God over God, we are in great danger. As the word of God explained in Isaiah 55:9, "For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts." Verse 11 continues: "So shall my word be that goes forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it." Notice that God says that HIS word will go out; it shall accomplish what HE pleases; and it shall prosper the thing HE wishes. It's not about us and our opinions or speculations. Study the Word! Renew your mind daily in Jesus. Speak the truth in humble boldness.
Have a Blessed and Powerful Day!
The Balfour Declaration: 100 Years Later
From Balfour to Nikki Haley: A Century of Christian Zionist Support for Israel - Breaking Israel News
On the one hand, British imperialism was a driving force; the British parliament hoped to establish a Zionist state under British protection between the crucial territories of India and Egypt to ensure its dominance in the region. On the other hand, amid World War I, without promise of a sizeable infusion of American troops to arrive and support Allied forces, British leaders hoped a formal declaration in favor of Zionism would help gain Jewish support for the Allies in countries like the U.S. and Russia.
However, according to historian and Deputy Minister Michael Oren, there was another equal factor: Christian Zionism.
Christian Zionism is a belief by Christians that the return of the Jews to their Holy Land and the restoration of the Land of Israel is a promise made by God and in accordance with Biblical prophecy.
"God promised to restore the Jewish people from their exile and good Christians need to help God fulfill his Biblical promise to the Jews," Oren explained to Breaking Israel News. "The idea is that God does not lie."
On paper, Christian Zionism preceded Zionism among both secular and rabbinic Jews. Oren said that while many purport Christian Zionism started as a formal movement only in the 1940s, in fact it had started as early as the 17th century in Britain and the United States.
. . . The most famous early Christian Zionist event occurred in 1881, when William Blackstone, author of "Jesus is Coming", advocated for a Jewish state. He collected more than 400 signatures of prominent American leaders on a petition that was presented to then-President Benjamin Harrison. The petition called for the establishment of a Jewish state in the Holy Land.
"These were not people on the periphery," said Oren. "There were critical thinkers and leaders and business people like William McKinley and J. P. Morgan."
However, it was the Balfour Declaration that gave Christian Zionism the diplomatic traction it has today, said Rabbi Tuly Weisz, founder and director of Israel365 and expert on Jewish-Christian relations.
The Balfour Declaration is today the high watermark of Christian Zionist diplomacy.
"The Balfour Declaration is the singular, internationally confirmed, ratified document that recognizes the existence of the Jews as a people with the right to a homeland in the Land of Israel," said Oren.
Since Balfour, despite the multitude of proposed peace agreement contracts, not one has recognized this same right.
"The conflict with the Palestinians is not about 1917 or 1967," explained Oren. "It is about whether the Jewish people exist and if they have a right to self-determination in their homeland. The conflict is over the Balfour Declaration."
(Read entire article here.)
"Thus said Hashem: I will raise My hand to nations And lift up My ensign to peoples; And they shall bring your sons in their bosoms, And carry your daughters on their backs." (Isaiah 49:22) (The Israel Bible)
More Daily Features
More Daily Features
(See below . . .)
- The Persecuted Church
- The Good News Corner
- Worship with Us Today!
Prayers for the Persecuted Church
"Remember the prisoners, as though in prison with them, and those who are ill-treated, since you yourselves also are in the body." (Hebrews 13:3)
Please visit the website for International Christian Concern to lift up prayers for the persecuted around the world, every day. Their link is: www.persecution.org -- or go here to connect. Thank you for interceding for our brothers and sisters who are suffering in Asia, the Islamic World, and the Far East.
The Good News Corner
Scientists Pinpoint Oldest Recorded Solar Eclipse, and It's Mentioned in Joshua's Biblical Battle
[ChristianPost.com] Researchers from Cambridge University have reportedly pinpointed the oldest solar eclipse ever recorded, dating back to 30 October 1207 B.C., which is also mentioned in the Bible in the book of Joshua. . .
Worship With Us Today!
"Healing Love" - Julie True
To worship with us today, please go here . . .
About Capitol Hill Prayer Partners
Our Mission Statement
Capitol Hill Prayer Partners (CHPP) is a ministry which is positioned on Capitol Hill in Washington, D.C., helping members of the Body of Christ to "pray for those in authority over us" in our federal government. Our primary purpose is to offer intercession on site for the members of Congress and their staffs each day that the Senate and the House of Representatives are in session; and our chief prayer focus is that "God's will be done in earth, as it is in heaven." [Matthew 6:10].
Because Jesus Christ has shed His blood for all, we, too, pray for ALL, in a nonpartisan manner. Also, because the scriptures indicate that "the effectual, fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much" (James 4:17), we are confident that fervent prayer, offered in the halls of the highest chambers of government in our land, can avail much for America. Capitol Hill Prayer Partners welcomes those who feel called to join us, engaging in this strategic work of intercession for our nation: "For there is no power but of God; the powers that be are ordained of God." [Romans 13:1]
Friends may participate by receiving our daily prayer alerts. You may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. CHPP is a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt ministry. Thank you and God bless you!
Note: You may also learn more about CHPP by going here to visit our blog. Thank you!
We Welcome Your Gifts
We Welcome Your Gifts
Capitol Hill Prayer Partners (CHPP) is a 501(c)(3), tax- exempt, faith-based, ministry, dedicated to praying for our leaders (1 Tim. 2:1-4). CHPP relies solely on the gifts of our readers to continue this work; thus we greatly appreciate your help in supporting this publication. Offerings may be sent to: Capitol Hill Prayer Partners, P.O. Box 5152, Herndon, VA 20172-1970. Please make checks payable to: CHPP. THANK YOU!
Now you can also donate online by going here. Or . . . if you prefer, simply paste this link into your browser to access our secure online donor system:
"The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit." (Philippians 4:23)
Join our Bible Readathon!
Our Bible Readathon Continues
"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." (Psalm 119:105)
Our numbers of readers continues to grow over time. All are welcome to join!
Our conference number is: 712-770-4340.
The access code is: 350430#. Please call at any time from midnight to 6:00 a.m. EST. WELCOME!
[Note: we are reading from these versions of the Scripture: King James, New King James, New American Standard, and NIV.]