Capitol Hill Prayer Partners
P.O. Box 5152
Herndon, VA 20172-1970
The Daily Brief
Praying the Word of God . . .
in the Will of God . . .
over the Issues of the Day
Thursday, November 7, 2013
"When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; And through the rivers, they will not overflow you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be scorched, Nor will the flame burn you." (Isaiah 43:2)
HOW TO SUBSCRIBE
Capitol Hill Prayer Partners welcomes all who wish to pray for our leaders to join us in prayer for our nation. You may sign up to receive our alerts by sending an email to us at firstname.lastname@example.org, requesting that your name be added to our list of subscribers.
VISIT OUR BLOG!
CHPP's blog includes archives of past editions of all of our alerts, as well as features on praying for the government, Israel, and other key issues.
Come visit us by going here.
The Daily Brief
1. Senate approves ENDA in historic step on gay rights - The Hill
The Senate on Thursday approved the Employment Non-Discrimination Act (ENDA) in a historic advance for the gay rights cause. The upper chamber approved ENDA in a 64-32 vote, and 10 Republicans joined Democrats in supporting the bill.
The legislation would create federal workplace protections for gay and transgender people by banning employers from discriminating on the basis of sexual orientation. (Read more)
- Although this bill has now passed the Senate, the House has yet to take action on ENDA. Thankfully, all reports are that the majority of the members of the House of Representatives do not support ENDA and will vote against this legislation. Pray much over the next vote, asking our Lord to raise up a firewall against this bill in the House. Thank you!
- " . . . hold fast until I come . . ." (Revelation 2:25)
2. Illinois Lawmakers Vote to Allow Gay Marriages - ABC News
Illinois lawmakers on Tuesday positioned their state to become the largest in the heartland to allow gay marriage, finally pushing the measure through the House after months of arduous lobbying in President Barack Obama's home state.
- Father, we are appalled at the actions of legislators in Illinois. Hawaii, also a "home state" for Obama, is also voting on gay marriage. We pray for Your mercy over our nation and an awakening for our people.
- "Lord be merciful to me; heal my soul, for I have sinned against You."
3. Sebelius: Sorry, but we won't delay Obamacare - Washington Times
President Obama's top health official said Wednesday that early Obamacare enrollment numbers will be "very low" but rejected any talk of delaying the reforms, even as Senate Democrats pressured the White House to correct the law's failures.
- Father, this woman has refused to answer questions, touted the party line, and been in general hard-hearted in the hearings. We ask for her removal, and removal/blockage of the law that is causing the problems.
- "Do not fret because of evildoers, nor be envious of the workers on iniquity. For they shall soon be cut down like the grass, and wither as the green herb."
[Psalm 37: 1]
4. ALERT - Supreme Court debates government's role in public prayer - Washington Times
In one of the biggest religious freedom cases in years, Supreme Court justices and attorneys engaged in what one observer called a "very vigorous exchange" over whether a small New York town's practice of having a prayer before government meetings passed constitutional muster.
- Lord, we pray for protection of Freedom of Religion in our public venues. We ask that you touch the hearts of the Supreme Court justices to decide with wisdom and honor in Your favor.
- "I will remember the works of the Lord." [Psalm 77:11]
5. Flow of anti-aircraft missiles to Syria could land in hands of al Qaeda - Washington Times
One of terrorism's most feared weapons, the shoulder-fired anti-aircraft missile, has begun to flow into war-ravaged Syria in numbers that alarm the West because they may fall into the hands of al Qaeda, according to national security analysts.
- Father we thank You for blocking the flow of these weapons to al-Qaeda.
- "The Lord has made all for Himself, yes, even the wicked for the day of doom." [Proverbs 16:4]
6. Saudi nuclear weapons 'on order' from Pakistan - BBC
Saudi Arabia has invested in Pakistani nuclear weapons projects, and believes it could obtain atomic bombs at will, a variety of sources have told BBC Newsnight.
- Lord we pray that You will intervene against this plan and cause it to fall apart.
- "They gather together against the life of the righteous, and condemn innocent blood. But the Lord has been my defense, and my God the rock of my refuge." [Psalm 94:21-22]
The Middle East in Focus
The Middle East in Focus
This week, for all the headlines cited below, please join us in proclaiming THIS DECREE:
"Shall not the Judge of all the earth do right?" (Genesis 18:25b)
1. A Greater Israel? Faction says no to two-state solution, yes to annexing Palestinian areas - Washington Post
As Secretary of State John F. Kerry resumes talks here Wednesday in the quest to create "two states for two people," a vocal faction in Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's government is, more openly than ever, opposing the very idea of a Palestinian state -- and putting forward its own plans to take, rather than give away, territory.
2. Israel preps for massive air drill with US, Greece, Italy - Times of Israel
The Israeli Air Force will conduct a joint drill with a bevy of some 1,000 pilots from three other nations in the Negev Desert later this month.
3. Kerry pushes Israel, Palestinians to make "hard decisions" for Middle East peace - CBS News
U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry waded again into the nitty-gritty of faltering Israeli-Palestinian peace talks on Wednesday, saying he was optimistic that tensions and difficulties could be overcome, even as Israel's leader bashed the Palestinians for the poor state of negotiations.
4. Despite rifts, Kerry remains upbeat on peace talks - Times of Israel
US Secretary of State John Kerry waded again into the nitty-gritty of faltering Israeli-Palestinian peace talks on Wednesday, saying he was optimistic that tensions and difficulties could be overcome, even between "two proud people" struggling to reach an accommodation.
The Persecuted Church
Today's Focus: The Persecuted Church
"The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit." (Psalm 34:18)
City in California Sued for Allowing Christian Themed Prayers - Christian Post
As the U.S. Supreme Court prepares to take up the issue of prayer before government meetings this week, a major atheist group has filed a lawsuit against a California city, arguing the city allowed a chaplain to deliver sectarian prayers at city council meetings for the past several years.
The church-state separatist group Freedom From Religion Foundation [FFRF] has filed a lawsuit in the San Luis Obispo Superior Court against the city of Pismo Beach, Calif., located on the state's central coast. The lawsuit claims that the city's chaplain Rev. Paul E. Jones, a volunteer, has provided predominately Christian-themed invocations prior to city council meetings for the past five years. The lawsuit seeks to have the city's chaplain position discontinued and to stop the practice of prayer before city council meetings.
"With 20% of the adult population today identifying as nonreligious, at least a fifth of the population is routinely excluded and offended by official prayer conducted by the city," Annie Laurie Gaylor, FFRF co-president, said in a press release regarding the lawsuit. "Non-Christian believers are also excluded when the government prayer is Christian, as it routinely is. It's time public officials catch up with the changing demographics. Elected officials should get off their knees and get to work," she added.
"In virtually every city prayer, Jones pressures citizens and the council to live a Christian lifestyle in accordance with the bible, to vote for 'righteous' leaders and to make decisions that honor Jones' particular god," the FFRF press release states.
The press release goes on to claim that out of the 112 city council prayers delivered by Jones from 2008 to 2013, the vast majority of the prayers made reference to a Christian God and Christian beliefs.
Pismo Beach city attorney David Fleishman has argued, however, that California law allows the city to have a chaplain as long as the chaplain does not heavily promote just one religion, and he believes Rev. Jones has been very conscious of being inclusive in his city council addresses.
For more news about the Persecuted Church, and how you can be more involved in intercession for these precious saints, go here.
Worship With Us Today!
THERE IS NONE LIKE YOU
THERE IS NONE LIKE YOU
NO ONE ELSE CAN TOUCH MY HEART LIKE YOU DO
I COULD SEARCH FOR ALL ETERNITY LONG,
AND FIND THERE IS NONE LIKE YOU(x2)
Pray for the Harvest!
Pray for the Harvest!
"Do you not say, 'Four months more and then the harvest'? I tell you, open your eyes and look at the fields! They are ripe for harvest." (John 4:35)
Every day, in every nation on earth, tens of thousands of men and women are making decisions for Christ. Now, you can monitor this amazing fact online by literally "watching" as these souls are born again into the Kingdom.
Of course, the identities of those who are coming to the Lord are never revealed, but our God knows who they are! Join us as we monitor these "names" daily, praying over each one to be mentored and to grow in his or her faith . . . even in these perilous times. You may visit either or both of the sites below, to pray for fields that are ripe for harvest.
> > > OPTION ONE: AboutJesus.net
> > > OPTION TWO: The Great Commission Map!