Capitol Hill Prayer Partners
P.O. Box 5152
Herndon, VA 20172-1970
The Daily Brief Tuesday, July 23, 2013
"Be of sober spirit, be on the alert. Your adversary, the devil, prowls around
like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour." (1 Peter 5:8)
HOW TO SUBSCRIBE
Capitol Hill Prayer Partners welcomes all who wish to pray for our leaders to join us in prayer for our nation. You may sign up to receive our alerts by sending an email to us at firstname.lastname@example.org, requesting that your name be added to our list of subscribers.
VISIT OUR BLOG!
CHPP's blog includes archives of past editions of all of our alerts, as well as features on praying for the government, Israel, and other key issues.
Come visit us by going here.
The Daily Brief
1. Hundreds escape from Iraq's Abu Ghraib prison after fierce militant assault - ABC
At least 500 prisoners, including senior members of Al Qaeda, have escaped after militants launched audacious coordinated attacks on two jails near the Iraqi capital Baghdad
- Lord, we pray for this situation, and that justice will be served. We pray for all those involved in this event and for salvation of souls. May they come to repentance. Lord, protect all those around these prisoners. May the prisoners be found and re-captured. In the name of Jesus we pray.
- The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance. (2 Peter 3:9)
2. Crippled Fukushima nuclear plant 'leaking' into Pacific - NZ Herald
A Japanese utility said its crippled Fukushima nuclear plant is likely leaking contaminated water into sea, acknowledging for the first time a problem long suspected by experts.
- Lord, we pray for a stopping of that leak and that any contamination be reversed in the name of Jesus. You have dominion over the sea and can keep it healthy. In the name of Jesus we pray. Amen.
- He shall have dominion also from sea to sea, and from the river unto the ends of the earth. (Psalm 72:8)
3. Supremes being asked to rule on homeschool persecution - WND
The U.S. Supreme Court will be asked to protect a Germany homeschooling family from the persecution members would face if they are returned to their home country, according to officials with the Home School Legal Defense Association.
- Lord, we do not know all the details of this case, but we pray the right decisions will be made. Holy Spirit, guide the presenters of the case, and the Supreme Court justices in their decision. May they have mercy and right judgment. In the name of Jesus we pray. Amen.
- Therefore turn to thy God: keep mercy and judgment, and wait on thy God continually. (Hosea 12:6)
4. Hobby Lobby Wins Injunction Against HHS Contraception Mandate - Free Beacon
The arts and crafts chain Hobby Lobby won a preliminary injunction on Friday prohibiting the federal government from fining the business for not offering certain contraceptives that violate the owners' religious convictions.
- Lord, we pray this injunction will stay for Hobby Lobby, and that it will encourage others to stand against the federal government for these violations of religious convictions. We thank You for this decision. In the name of Jesus we pray. Amen.
- But whoever looks into the perfect law of liberty, and continues therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed. (James 1: 25)
5. Planned Parenthood Closing Down 3 Abortion Clinics Following New Texas Law - Christian Post
Planned Parenthood announced that it is closing down three abortion clinics shortly following Texas Gov. Rick Perry singing into law a bill restricting abortions. Alliance Defending Freedom expressed its wishes to see more clinics shut down.
- Thank You Lord, for this news, for Gov. Rick Perry, and for Texas. May this closing of clinics spread across the country. Praise the Lord. Amen.
- Be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves. (James 1:22)
The Middle East in Focus
The Middle East in Focus
This week, for all the headlines cited below, please join us in proclaiming THIS DECREE:
'Thus says the Lord God, "When I gather the house of Israel from the peoples among whom they are scattered, and will manifest My holiness in them in the sight of the nations, then they will live in their land which I gave to My servant Jacob. They will live in it securely; and they will build houses, plant vineyards and live securely when I execute judgments upon all who scorn them round about them. Then they will know that I am the Lord their God."
1. Secret Obama plan forfeits Temple Mount to Palestinians - WND
The Obama administration has quietly presented a plan in which the Palestinian Authority and Jordan will receive sovereignty over the Temple Mount while Israel will retain the land below the Western Wall, according to a senior PA negotiator speaking to WND.
2. Palestinians: Kerry gave written guarantees to Abu Mazen - IMRA
Palestinian sources say that US Secretary of State Kerry, gave the head of the PA Authority Abu - Mazen [AL: Mahmoud Abbas] a guaranty letter that the renewed talks are on the basis of the 67 lines.
3. Hamas reeling from Egyptian crackdown on Gaza tunnels - Reuters
Palestinians in the Gaza Strip are reeling from another devastating blockade but this time they are blaming Egypt, the neighboring Arab power they once hoped would end their isolation, rather than their old foe Israel.
4. Even before peace talks begin, Israelis tussle over referendum - Israel Hayom
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is promoting legislation that would mandate a referendum on any future peace deal with the Palestinians, saying Sunday that a public vote on the matter would be "imperative" and that "decisions of this magnitude cannot be made only by the coalition."
5. Haredi MKs mourn as draft bill passes first reading - Times of Israel
A bill that would significantly increase enlistment among ultra-Orthodox Israelis into the IDF and national service passed its first reading in the Knesset early Tuesday morning, despite strident opposition by Haredi MKs during the marathon overnight session in the plenum.
6. US: Palestinians agreed to talks; Indyk reports premature - Times of Israel
The State Department confirmed on Monday that the Palestinians agreed to participate in new peace talks with Israel, dismissing comments to the contrary made over the weekend by spokesmen for Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas.
The Persecuted Church
Today's Focus: The Persecuted Church
"Preserve me, O God, for I take refuge in You." (Psalm 16:1)
1. Two More House Churches Raided in Northwest China - ChinaAid
The first occurred on Sunday, June 9, 2013. Brother Tan Wen, who lives on Aletai Road in the Shayibake District of Urumqi, was leading a worship service at a friend's house with many elderly people in attendance.
Eventually, the police took Tan Wen to the local police station, where they determined that the worship service was an "illegal gathering" and sentenced Tan Wen to 10 days of public security detention and fined him 500 yuan.
The second raid occurred on Sunday, June 23, 2013. Sister Lu Xia, who lives at 27 Cangsonger Lane in the Shayibake District of Urumqi, attended a house church gathering at 26 Xisi Lane, East Cangfanggou Road. Officers from the Shayibake District Branch of Urumqi Municipal Public Security Bureau broke in during the meeting and, without showing identification, took Lu away. She was sentenced to five days administrative detention.
Also, as China Aid reported yesterday, sister Zhu Jinfeng of Urumqi hosted a Bible study at her home on Sunday. During the study, her home was raided by the local Public Security Bureau and other agencies, and she was fined 500 yuan.
China Aid notes that house churches in China continue to be persecuted and suppressed, and asks the international community to also take note of the escalating suppression on the house churches in China. The Chinese government must respect the basic rights of the people and truly safeguard the right to religious belief, as stipulated in the Chinese Constitution and international law.
2. Christian Man Sentenced to Life Imprisonment For Blashpemous Text Messages in Pakistan - Christian Post
In the Punjab province of Pakistan, a Christian man named Sajjad Masih has been sentenced to life in prison for sending blasphemous text messages to Muslim clerics from his ex-fiance's phone. Sajjad sent the text messages in order to seek vengeance. The police did not initially charge Masih but after being pressured by the Muslim clerics, the police added charges and tried to arrest his ex-fiance but could not track her.
- Pray that, despite Sajjad's vengeful motivations, that this issue will shed international attention on the injustice of blasphemy laws
- Pray for Muslims in Pakistan to come to know Jesus
3. Christians Continue to Suffer Under North Korean Regime - CSW
North Korea is known as one of the worst persecutors of the Christian faith, and arguably the world's worst violators of human rights. There is an estimated 200,000 people in prison camps within North Korea, 70,000 of them estimated to be Christians. Anyone found practicing religions outside of the state-controlled church can face detention in the prison camps, torture, and even death.
- Pray for the Christians in North Korea's prison camps
- Pray for repentance of the North Korean regime
- Pray for revival in North Korea
For more news about the Persecuted Church, and how you can be more involved in intercession for these precious saints, go here.
The Week To Honor Prisoners?
The Week To Honor Prisoners?
If you are a jihadist who has declared war on Judeo-Christian civilization, and if you have been captured and taken off the battlefield, this may be the week you have been waiting for.
In Iraq, jihadists attacked two prisons, including Abu Ghraib. Official reports indicate that more than two dozen police and soldiers were killed, and dozens more were wounded, in the sophisticated attacks involving car bombs, suicide bombers and rockets. The attacks freed more than 500 of the worst Al Qaeda-affiliated terrorists, who may now wreak havoc in Iraq. Some may head to Syria to fight in the civil war there.
Meanwhile here in the U.S., Obama and his left-wing Justice Department have "stormed" Gitmo in an effort to "parole" as many as 71 of the 166 terrorists held there. This comes in spite of the well-documented history of Gitmo detainees returning to the battlefield after being released.
If that wasn't enough, Obama and his left-wing State Department are "storming" the jails of Israel, pressuring Israelis to release hundreds of Palestinian prisoners as a show of good faith to get stalled peace talks restarted. Speaking to the Christians United for Israel Summit today, Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-MN) asked, "When do the Palestinians have to show good faith?"
As I suggested, if you're a prisoner who has declared war on the West, this may be your week. (Gary Bauer)
Update on Amnesty
"We Are Going To Force It Through!"
The Christians United for Israel Summit isn't the only big conference going on in Washington this week. Organizing for Action, the remnants of Obama's reelection campaign, held an event last night for hundreds of hard-core left-wing activists. President Obama addressed the group as did House Democrat Nancy Pelosi, Senate Democrat Harry Reid and Cecile Richards, the president of the pro-abortion Planned Parenthood.
But what got my attention were the remarks of Jim Messina, OFA chairman and Obama's 2012 campaign manager. Referring to the Senate's quasi-amnesty legislation, Messina told the audience of liberal activists, "We are going to force it through the House!"
It's obvious why Obama, Reid, Pelosi and Messina are so desperate to force amnesty through the House. A Pew poll of Latino illegal immigrants finds that they would "vote Democratic at an eight-to-one clip."
What is less obvious is why any Republican would go along with them. According to the latest Washington Post/ABC News poll, only 32% of Americans want the House to vote up or down on the Senate's quasi-amnesty bill. A majority of Americans (53%) want the House to break up the bill and consider it in separate pieces.
A recent National Journal poll found similar results. When asked how the House should handle the Senate's bill, only 29% said the House should pass it "as is." Clearly, the Obama/Reid/Pelosi approach to immigration "reform" is not all that popular. (Gary Bauer)
Prayers During Ramadan
Gateway to Africa: South Africa readjusting
For Wednesday July 24, Ramadan 2013 - Day 16.
"Loving Muslims Through Prayer"
Currently, the Muslim population in South Africa is between 600,000 and 800,000. Although that is less than two per cent of the population, the growth and influence of Islam in the country presents both challenges and opportunities.
A biblical response to both Islam and to reaching out to the poor and needy will ask the church to do more, and risk more.
- Pray for those who are actively reaching out to Muslims in South Africa. Pray that they will be sensitive to Islamic culture and religious practices during Ramadan, without compromising the truth about Christ Jesus.
- Pray for more Christian chaplains in South African prisons. During Ramadan there is a specific focus on prison ministry, because this is seen as a time where inmates are presented with a clean slate before Allah. Therefore many choose to convert to Islam.
- Most people who live in squatter camps accept Islam as a means to receive food. Pray that these poor and needy people will accept Christ as Saviour, not because of the food they might receive, but because they want a new life in Christ.
- Pray for rural, untrained pastors to have unshakeable faith. We pray the shield of faith will cover pastors' minds to quench all flaming darts of doubt (Ephesians 6:16; Colossians 2:6-8; 1 Corinthians 2:16).
Complete article, video, audio, comments is here.
The Good News Corner
The Good News Corner:
Hobby Lobby Wins Injunction - Stopping Enforcement of HHS Mandate
This victory comes less than a month after a landmark decision by the full 10th Circuit Court of Appeals, which ruled 5-3 that Hobby Lobby can exercise religion under the First Amendment and is likely to win its case against the mandate. That decision helped the Christian craft store not be force to pay fines while its lawsuit continues. (Congressional Prayer Caucus Foundation) Read more.
Pray for the Harvest!
Pray for the Harvest!
"Do you not say, 'Four months more and then the harvest'? I tell you, open your eyes and look at the fields! They are ripe for harvest." (John 4:35)
Every day, in every nation on earth, tens of thousands of men and women are making decisions for Christ. Now, you can monitor this amazing fact online by literally "watching" as these souls are born again into the Kingdom.
Of course, the identities of those who are coming to the Lord are never revealed, but our God knows who they are!
Join us as we monitor these "names" daily, praying over each one to be mentored and to grow in his or her faith . . . even in these perilous times. You may visit either or both of the sites below, to pray for fields that are ripe for harvest.
> > > OPTION ONE: AboutJesus.net
> > > OPTION TWO: The Great Commission Map!
Worship With Us Today!
Worship With Us Today!
Oh Lord God Of Israel
"O Lord, God of Israel, there is no God like you in all of
heaven and earth. You keep your covenant and show
unfailing love to all who walk before you in wholehearted