Capitol Hill Prayer Partners
P.O. Box 5152
Herndon, VA 20172-1970
The Daily Brief Friday, July 5, 2013
"Proclaim liberty throughout all the land to all its inhabitants." (Leviticus 25:10)
HOW TO SUBSCRIBE
Capitol Hill Prayer Partners welcomes all who wish to pray for our leaders to join us in prayer for our nation. You may sign up to receive our alerts by sending an email to us at email@example.com, requesting that your name be added to our list of subscribers.
VISIT OUR BLOG!
CHPP's blog includes archives of past editions of all of our alerts, as well as features on praying for the government, Israel, and other key issues.
Come visit us by going here.
The Daily Brief
1. Islamist Armed Group Attack Sinai Airport, reports Egypt's State TV - Reuters
Islamist gunmen open fire on El Arish airport in Egypt's troubled Sinai Peninsula and at three military checkpoints early on Friday, state television reported. The attackers fired rocket-propelled grenades at the army checkpoints outside the airport, close to the border with the Gaza Strip and Israel, in the latest of a string of security incidents in the lawless region, security sources said. It was not clear whether the coordinated attack on several army positions was in response to the military overthrow of Islamist President Mohamed Mursi in Cairo on Wednesday.
- Lord, it seems like the whole planet is "reeling" and out-of-control. Lawlessness seems to be running rampant, sweeping aside sanity and civility. We know that You said in Your Word that You would make even the wrath of man to praise You. We ask for Your Hand to be at work in these developments, as human men endeavor to wrest power; both politically and otherwise, from one another. May Your will win out! Protect tiny Israel from any "spill-over" of violence, as her neighbors fight with one another. Keep Your people sheltered in the secret place. Bring glory to Yourself in these confrontations we pray, as You interpose Yourself in the affairs of men. In Yeshua's Name we pray, Amen.
- "On their release, Peter and John went back to their own people and reported all that the chief priests and the elders had said to them. When they heard this, they raised their voices together in prayer to God. "Sovereign Lord," they said, "You made the heavens and the earth and the sea, and everything in them. You spoke by the Holy Spirit through the mouth of your servant, our father David: 'Why do the nations rage and the peoples plot in vain? The kings of the earth rise up and the rulers band together against the Lord and against his anointed one." (Acts 4:23-26)
2. Jihadist Group: "We Started Arizona Wildfires" - Freedom Outpost
According to reporter David Barnett, a Palestinian jihadist group, Masada al Mujahideen, has recently claimed credit for the ongoing wildfires in Arizona in a statement that was posted to a jihadist forum on Wednesday. The group warned that the attacks "will not be the last. . . if America does not respond to our demands." The statement boasted that 19 firefighters had been killed in the fires.
- Lord of Hosts, we come to You concerning this matter. You know the end from the beginning, and what is done in secret and the darkness is known to You, for darkness and light are the same to You. We ask that You would bring the truth to light, and that those things which are hidden will be exposed and revealed for all to see. We ask that wisdom be given to those in authority to investigate these claims, and to deal with them honestly, openly, and truthfully. Expose the lies we pray, and bring to justice anyone and everyone who may be involved in this horrific incident. We ask for truth to prevail. Amen.
- "Everything that is hidden will be shown, and everything that is secret will be made known. What you have said in the dark will be heard in the light, and what you have whispered in an inner room will be shouted from the housetops." (Luke 12:2,3)
3. Crowds Across America Protest NSA in 'Restore the Fourth' movement - Fox News
Crowds across the U.S. gathered Thursday to protest the federal government's surveillance of the American public - recently highlighted by leaker Edward Snowden - as part of pro-Forth Amendment rallies, chanting "NSA go away!" The organization estimated that national turnout would be around 10,000 people, Reuters reports.
"Our demands are very simple: We think these programs which violate the constitutional rights of Americans need to end," Ben Doernberg, an organizer of the New York City protest, told Fox News. The Fourth Amendment protects Americans from unlawful search and seizure.
- Abba, we come to You concerning these protests of the eroding of our Constitutional rights, which appear to be increasing and expanding. We thank You that more of the American public is beginning to wake up and realize that our Country is under attack from within our own government. Again, Lord, we ask that the subversive deeds of darkness will be brought into the spotlight, as You expose these "unfruitful works of darkness", and those behind these unlawful practices. May the consequences of these breaches be laid publicly, at the feet of those who authorized these unlawful deeds, we pray. Amen.
- "For you used to be darkness; but now, united with the Lord, you are light. Live like children of light, for the fruit of the light is in every kind of goodness, rightness and truth -- try to determine what will please the Lord. Have nothing to do with the deeds produced by darkness, but instead expose them, for it is shameful even to speak of the things these people do in secret." (Ephesians 5:8-12)
4. EU Parliament Urges Blocking US Data Access After Spy Leaks - VOA
The European Parliament called on Thursday for the scrapping of two agreements granting the United States access to European financial and travel data unless Washington reveals the extent of its electronic spying operations in Europe. A non-binding resolution, passed by 483 votes to 98 with 65 abstentions, said the United States should come clean about its surveillance of email and communications data or risk seeing the transatlantic information-sharing deals, created in the wake of the of the Sept. 11 attacks, torn up. (Read more)
- Father, we come to You concerning these security leaks by the NSA. In accordance with Your Word, we continue to ask for Your light to shine on that which needs to be revealed, and that the truth, in being revealed, will set us on a right path of integrity in our relationships with foreign nations. We do ask that all our government agencies will operate in integrity, and wisdom, discerning who is our enemy and who is our ally, and treat them accordingly. In Your Name, amen.
- "The honest person will live in safety, but the dishonest will be caught."
5. Proposed Law Prohibits Christians From Working For San Antonio City Government - Godfather Politics
If you want to know how the unleashed pansexual regime is going to both impoverish and marginalize Christians from the public square in the wake of the Supreme Court's declaration of war on Christians, a proposed revision in San Antonio's city code gives us a view of the plan. If you are someone who believes that marriage is defined as a relationship between a man and a woman, or that the Bible is true, you cannot be a city employee. You cannot even have a contract with the city. If you are such a city employee now, and they find out, you can be fired.
See also: "San Antonio Pastors Oppose City's Proposed Anti-discrimination Law" - KENS5.com (San Antonio News)
The momentum is growing to protect gays, lesbians, transgendered and veterans in the city's anti-discrimination laws. But some local pastors say those changes may end up violating the rights of the religious. "A religious view: either you have one or you don't, it is still a religious view. And if I don't attain to their view, then I'm out of the picture completely. It's a stifling of free speech," said Pastor Steve Branson of Village Parkway Baptist Church.
- Father, You told us in Your Word that You are a Rock of offense to the world, and they hated You without a reason, and that they will hate us too because we bear Your name and endeavor to honor Your Word. Father, we ask forgiveness for them, and that You would reveal Yourself to them as the Supreme Lover of their souls. May they see You as Savior and Messiah and embrace You and give their lives to You. We grieve for them, Lord, for truly they do not know what they are doing. Yes, this is a "stifling" of our free speech, but it is also an offense to You, which is much more serious. We do ask for the preservation of our Constitutional rights; we also ask for Your grace to be upon us, and Your mercy for all of us on both sides of this issue. Amen.
- "If you belonged to the world, it would love you, as it loves its own. But I have chosen you out of the world, so you don't belong to it. That is why the world hates you. Remember what I told you: A servant is not greater than his master. If people did wrong to Me, they will do wrong to you, too. And, if they obeyed My teaching, they will obey yours, too. They will do all this to you on account of Me, because they do not know the One Who sent Me." (John15:19-21) "Then Peter and the apostles replied, We must obey God rather than men." (Acts 5:29)
6. US Hiring Advances, Jobless Rate Unchanged - VOA
The U.S. labor market improved again last month, adding another 195,000 jobs, even as the country's unemployment rate remained unchanged at 7.6 percent. The government reported Friday that hiring picked up in several parts of the world's largest economy, including professional, business and financial services, as well as in hospitality, retail and health care. The Bureau of Labor Statistics said that 11.8 million workers remain unemployed, a figure virtually unchanged since February. The jobless rate in the U.S. is stuck well above the long-term standard of below 6 percent, as the country sluggishly recovers from the deep economic downturn in 2008 and 2009.
- Father, we thank You for this good news of more jobs being added to our economy, despite the unemployment rate being unchanged. We ask for continued steady growth of the job market, and a lowering of the unemployment rate. We pray for those who are looking for employment, that You would provide for them, that which would be inline with their skills and abilities and income they need. We thank You that You are Jehovah Jireh, our Provider. In Your name we pray, amen.
- "In all your ways know, recognize, and acknowledge Him, and He will direct and make straight and plain your paths." (Proverbs 3:6)
The Middle East in Focus
The Middle East in Focus
This week, for all the headlines cited below, please join us in proclaiming THIS DECREE:
"Blessed is YHWH, who has not given us as a prey to their teeth. Our soul has escaped like a bird out of the snare of the fowlers; the snare is broken, and we have escaped. Our help is in the name of YHWH, who made the heavens and earth." (Psalm 124:7,8)
1. Journalists print gun, point it at Netanyahu - Times of Israel
Reporters managed to smuggle a home-made plastic gun into the Knesset with little difficulty, and pulled it out only meters away from Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.
2. Gaza: Hamas 'biggest loser' of Morsi's overthrow - Ynet News
Only hours before Egyptian army chief General Abdel Fattah al-Sisi deposed now ousted Egyptian President Mohamed Morsi and his party, the Muslim Brotherhood, senior Hamas official Ahmed Yousef said that the organization does not fear the fall of Morsi's Islamist regime.
3. Israel fears Jihadist attacks after Morsi's ouster - Ynet News
A day after the Egyptian army deposed President Mohamed Morsi and suspended the constitution, Israel is concerned that Jihadists will exploit the situation to carry out terror attacks.
4. Palestinians: Kerry close to getting Israeli-PA peace talks back on track - Ha'aretz
Palestinian officials said Thursday that U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry is closing in on an agreement between Israel and the Palestinians to relaunch peace talks for a period of six to nine months.
The Persecuted Church
Today's Focus: The Persecuted Church
"Be strong and courageous, do not be afraid or tremble at them, for the Lord your God is the one who goes with you. He will not fail you or forsake you." (Deut. 31:6)
1. Burmese Minorities Continue to Yearn for Freedom Even as U.S. Celebrates - Mission Network News
"Resistance to tyranny becomes the Christian and social duty of each individual. . . Nobly defend those rights which heaven gave and no man ought to take from us," said John Hancock, the first man to sign the United States' declaration of independence.
Among the founders' reasons for breaking away and starting anew was the following: "[King George III] has plundered our seas, ravaged our Coasts, burnt our towns, and destroyed the lives of our people."
Similar mistreatment is taking place in Burma today.
"[The government is] in many ways complicit with the suffering of these people," says Steve Gumaer of Partners Relief and Development.
Whereas America's founders chose to leave Britain, Burma's government is allowing ethnic people groups like the Rohingya to be forced out of their homes.
2. Catholic Parish Looted in the Aftermath of Egypt's Overthrow of Islamist President - Agenzia Fides
- Among the episodes of violence in Egypt after the overthrow of President Morsi there is also the attack against the Coptic Catholic parish of St. George, in the village of Delgia, 60 kilometers from Minya. Since Wednesday evening, July 3 groups of fanatical Islamists first looted and then burned down the pastor's house and church group buildings. "Thank God there were no victims and injuries" says to Fides Agency the Coptic Catholic Bishop of Minya Botros Fahim Awad Hanna "but the alarm continues. The fundamentalists have closed the roads at the entrance to the village. They shout slogans against Christians, they say they want to destroy everything and now they are trying again to storm the church. The local police are helpless, I called Cairo to ask for the intervention of the army." The attack on the parish of St. George is so far the most serious incident of violence against Christians recorded in the dramatic hours experienced by the Country. But threats and intimidation against Christian communities also occur in other Egyptian places.
3. Macedonia Sentences Archbishop to 3 Years in Prison - BosNewsLife
A Macedonian court sentenced the archbishop of the Serbian Orthodox Church (SOC) in Macedonia to three years in prison on what his denomination and activists called Wednesday, July 3, "false charges" of money laundering, while fourteen co-defendants received suspended jail terms.
Additionally Archbishop Jovan of Ohrid, also known as Zoran Vraniskovski, must handover SOC properties, including church buildings, to the state for allegedly laundering some 250,000 euro ($325,000), his church said. Bishop Marko of Bregalnica, whose civilian name is Goran Kimev, Bishop David Ninov of Stobi as well as fourteen "priest-monks, abbesses, nuns and other faithful people of the Orthodox Ohrid Archbishopric" each received two years suspended sentences for financial wrongdoing, the SOC added.
For more news about the Persecuted Church, and how you can be more involved in intercession for these precious saints, go here.
Update: The Battle for Life in Austin, Texas
Update: The Battle for Life in Austin, Texas
Dear Operation Outcry, Prayer Warriors, and Supporters,
Monday morning the Texas Senate Committee on Health and Human Services will be open for public testimony in support of the bill. SB 1 by Sen. Glenn Hegar (identical to HB 2) has been scheduled for a hearing on Monday, July 8, at 10 a.m. in the Senate Health & Human Services Committee, Room E1.036 (Finance Room)
If you support the abortion regulation bill which is the subject of all the controversy, you should register in support of the bill. We really need women who have been hurt by the abortion industry to testify in large numbers.
However, Molly White successfully filed in the house hearing over 900 written testimonies of women hurt by abortion. I was the last person to testify about the harm to women caused by the abortion industry and the constitutionality of the bill. (See link to hearing at end of this email.)
If you would like to testify, be at the Capitol as early as you can. Please contact Molly White, Operation Outcry Texas leader at 1-254-721-2427 if you plan to be in Austin. Also, send your name and cell number to Queta Aguilar at firstname.lastname@example.org, who will be assisting Molly.
Monday evening there will be a large pro-life rally at 7 p.m. on the South steps of the Capitol. Operation Outcry will be there as well. Click here for details.
Tuesday, July 9, the Texas House of Representatives will consider the House Bill on abortion-industry regulations on the floor. The Senate MAY then receive the bill and take its own vote later that day. The House is expected to vote for passage. Please make plans to come to the Capitol before 9:00 a.m. to share this historic moment with us.
If you need a ride to the Capitol, click here for Stand4Life Carpool.
The Texas Catholic Conference is hosting a prayer gathering with Senator Eddie Lucio on the South Steps of the Capitol at 9 a.m. followed by a quick procession up to the House gallery for the vote.
ACTION ITEM These are the Democrats who voted for life in the last session. They are under a lot of pressure from their party to switch their vote. Please call them TODAY and ask them to vote YES on HB2. Yes, today is July 4, but you may leave a message on their voicemail. If you cannot call today, please call before Monday.
Rep. Ryan Guillen 512-463-0416
Rep. Abel Herrero 512-463-0462
Rep. Sergio Munoz 512-463-0704
Rep. Joe Pickett 512-463-0596
For those of you who cannot come, we need your prayer support. Please commit to praying for us and for our state. Especially pray for God to send angelic reinforcement for His children that are taking a stand for Life.
For those that are able to, please send us a donation. We are incurring extra expenses and we would greatly appreciate your financial support. Click here to donate.
Advancing Life, Liberty and Justice in Jesus' Name,
Allan E. Parker
The Justice Foundation
MESSAGE FROM GOVERNOR RICK PERRY
Dear fellow defender of life:
Yesterday was a moving sight to behold, the halls of the Capitol were a sea of blue in support of life. And after hours of testimony, we took a major step forward in our effort to protect the lives of our fellow Texans, as House Bill 2 was voted favorably out of committee. It was an energizing and personally moving day for us all. It was also a reminder that a lot of work remains to be done, but we are showing the state and our nation that we are up for the task.
Sadly, even in Texas, abortions are legal well into the time where babies not only feel pain but many of them are viable.
This special session, we will ban abortion after five months. We will protect women by ensuring abortion facilities meet the same standards as other surgical facilities. And we need your continued help to make it happen.
I am so proud to stand with you on the side of life and I thank you for all you are doing across our state and here in our State Capitol to give a voice to those who don't have one.
I encourage you to continue sharing your stories of life and hope with friends, family and lawmakers. Let's keep the momentum going on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, using the #Stand4Life hashtag. And text the word "LIFE" to 21824 to stay informed about opportunities to get involved.
Ah Lord God, forgive us for thwarting Your purposes for people still in the womb by the practice of abortion. Clear the way, we pray for this Texas law to be passed and silence those who worship another god. In Jesus' Name we pray, amen.
- "My frame was not hidden from You when I was made in secret and skillfully wrought in the lowest parts of the earth. Your eyes saw my substance being yet unformed. And in Your book they all were written, the days fashioned for me when as yet there were none of them." (Psalm 139:15-16)
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you; before you were born I sanctified you . . ." (Jeremiah 1:5)
Understanding Immigration Reform
Constituent Brief: A Primer on Immigration Reform Legislation
From the Desk of Congressman J. Randy Forbes
Virginia's Fourth Congressional District
Immigration has been an issue for the United States since its birth. Our nation has long recognized the value and importance of immigrants to our nation, and the equal importance of immigrants and citizens adhering to the rules of our legal system.
However, our immigration system today is broken. Over the past several months, several pieces of legislation have been introduced in Congress to address various issues that have contributed to our broken immigration system.
It is my core belief that entry into this country is not a right, but a privilege that one earns. I have long opposed granting amnesty, and I continue to do so. We need an immigration enforcement package that will not only rein in the practice of entering this country illegally, but ultimately help promote legal immigration, continuing the tradition of America's borders accepting new ideas and new people who share the same zeal for freedom that we do.
I have continued to work with my colleagues in the House Judiciary Committee on meaningful reform that focuses on what must be our first priority: enforcement of our immigration laws and ensuring the security of our borders.
I have prepared the following brief to provide you with information related to the major proposals currently before Congress.
Yours in Service,
To read the remainder of Rep. Forbes' message to his constituents, including an excellent summary of immigration legislation now pending in both the House and in the Senate, go here.
> > > Please continue to track any and all information about these bills in prayer this summer. When Congress returns from its Fourth of July District Work Period next week, IMMIGRATION will be at the top of everyone's list until these issues are resolved. In addition, Obama has demanded that this bill be on his desk no later than the first week of August, so the pressure is now in place to see a bill passed. Thank you for your prayers "in the Spirit" over this issue. Amen.
- "The effectual, fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much."
Ramadan Begins Next Week
"30 Days of Prayer for the Muslim World" starts July 9
Timed to coincide with the Moslem month of Ramadan
Prayer booklets now available in 37 languages!
The "30 Days of Prayer for the Muslim World" action starts again from July 9 - August 7, 2013. This call to prayer coincides with the Muslim Fasting month of Ramadan and highlights Muslim peoples across the whole world. World-wide, Muslims live in difficult social, economic and political situations. Often they don't have education, health or even clean water resources, things that we often take for granted. Unfortunately they also don't have the freedom of religion nor the opportunity to even hear about the Good News of Christ. The prayer booklet highlights many of the aspects of Muslim life and gives concrete prayer topics from all the corners of the world. It unites Christians, helps them overcome fears of Muslim peoples and encourages faith, hope and love.
Coinciding with Ramadan since 1993, the "30-Days of Prayer for the Muslim World" booklet is distributed to many thousands of Christians from 37 national offices. In Germany, 70,000 booklets are printed and distributed to churches. Mission organizations tell the public about the resource and bookshops such as in the USA sell and ship globally.
The English booklet and links to other languages are available on the www.30-days.net website along with promotional material and the articles posted daily during Ramadan.
This press release is also available in German. Supported by the World Evangelical Alliance (WEA) and the European Evangelical Alliance (EEA).
> > > Please visit their website, below, for daily points of intercession for the millions of souls caught up in the lies of Islam. Thank you!
To access this link: copy the website and enter it into your browser:
Prayers for Egyptian Christians
Prayers for Egyptian Christians
From: Intercessors for Israel
We asked God to show us the Egyptian Christians current viewpoint and how they would have us pray.
1. Lord, why are Western leaders insisting on civilian rule being quickly restored in Egypt when the civilian rule of the last government enabled an increase in persecution of both Christians and all others who were not fundamentalist Sunni Muslims?
- "For they shall cry to YHWH because of the oppressors, and He shall send them a deliverer, and a great one, and will deliver them." (Isaiah 19:20b)
Amen. Do it for those who cry unto You at this time.
2. Help the Church in Egypt send the truth of their situation out to their brothers and sisters in the nations. Open up the eyes of the Western Church to see the real story of our family in Messiah under Islamic rule and to pray outside of their mostly-liberal western mindset.
3. Thank You for all of the para-church organizations that do stand with and help the persecuted church. [For example: Voice of the Martyrs http://www.persecution.com/; Barnabas Fund http://barnabasfund.org/]
4. Encourage Western church leaders to speak up for our family in chains. Remember those who are in bonds, as bound with them, those who suffer adversity, as being yourselves also in the body. (Hebrews 13:3)
The Good News Corner
The Good News Corner:
Drawing a Line in the Sand on the Fourth of July
at Rehoboth Beach, Delaware
Since TheBlaze reported Pastor Robert Dekker's planned "Line in the Sand" July 4 service on Rehoboth Beach, Del., the story has gained national attention.
Glenn Beck, in fact, interviewed Dekker on his Monday radio program, during which Dekker further explained his goals after the town denied his permit request to hold a series of eight church services on the beach this summer.
Well, the service happened this morning as planned, with around 1,500 people showing up for what Dekker called a Freedom Rally, which included music, speeches and prayer. The Cape Gazette reported that Rehoboth Beach sanctioned the rally.
It even drew two residents of Joplin, Mo., the town hit by a devastating tornado in 2011, noted the Gazette.
"We love freedom," John Putnam told the Gazette. "My great uncle was the battle commander at Bunker Hill. I have a long heritage. We both have a connection with Pastor Dekker from the standpoint of America's freedom and freedom in Jesus Christ."
John Greenlaw, a Vietnam veteran who flew in with Putnam for the rally, also lost his home in the tornado.
A portion of the beach was sectioned off, but the crowd reportedly became too large, and participants and onlookers lined the dune-crossing and the boardwalk in front of a small stage, the Gazette noted, adding that the Rehoboth police dispatch center received no complaints.
"Freedom is to be cherished," Dekker told the crowd. "Not defiant but determined. True freedom is not by revolution but by revelation, not by demonstration but by redemption."
The Cape Gazette noted that Dekker shared the biblical account of a woman caught in adultery and condemned to be stoned; but Jesus drew a line in the sand and asked those without sin to cast the first stone. The woman celebrated her freedom and was told by Jesus to sin no more, Dekker said, adding that none of us can take our freedom lightly . . . but it also means no more condemnation. (The Blaze) Read more.
- Almost one year ago to the day, we dedicated one issue of the Daily Brief to the memory of our dear friend and long-time mentor and friend of our ministry, Poppy Clayborne.
Poppy's family owns a beach house in Rehoboth which, over the years, has grown to become a quiet ministry center for many, who have gone there for rest, relief, and a time to seek the Lord afresh.
We believe that there are no coincidences in Christ, and that this event, one year later, had the signature of "the kiss of the Lord" for a faithful saint, now resting with Him.
Well done, thou good and faithful servant! We rejoice with you now, Poppy, as you have looked down from heaven at this joyful event. Praise God!
- "Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us . . ." (Hebrews 12:1)
Pray for the Harvest!
Pray for the Harvest!
"Do you not say, 'Four months more and then the harvest'? I tell you, open your eyes and look at the fields! They are ripe for harvest." (John 4:35)
Every day, in every nation on earth, tens of thousands of men and women are making decisions for Christ. Now, you can monitor this amazing fact online by literally "watching" as these souls are born again into the Kingdom.
Of course, the identities of those who are coming to the Lord are never revealed, but our God knows who they are!
Join us as we monitor these "names" daily, praying over each one to be mentored and to grow in his or her faith . . . even in these perilous times. You may visit either or both of the sites below, to pray for fields that are ripe for harvest.
> > > OPTION ONE: AboutJesus.net
> > > OPTION TWO: The Great Commission Map!
Worship With Us Today!
Worship With Us Today!
Hide me in the shelter
Hide me in the shelter of your love
Deep in the centre of your heart, my Lord
How I want to know You more
And keep me in the shadow of your wings
Safe in the secret place of Holiness
How I need You more and more