See below to find a small gift for you from CHPP:
"Praying for Those in Authority". Blessings!
Capitol Hill Prayer Partners
P.O. Box 5152
Herndon, VA 20172-1970
The Daily Brief Monday, October 7, 2013
Praying the Word of God . . .
in the Will of God . . .
over the Issues of the Day
Monday, October 7, 2013
"By him therefore let us offer the sacrifice of praise to God continually,
that is, the fruit of our lips giving thanks to his name." (Hebrews 13:15)
> > > To read the "One Year Bible" weekly letter, go here.
> > > To read the Shabbat Torah readings, go here.
Submitted by Susan L. Turner
HOW TO SUBSCRIBE
Capitol Hill Prayer Partners welcomes all who wish to pray for our leaders to join us in prayer for our nation. You may sign up to receive our alerts by sending an email to us at email@example.com, requesting that your name be added to our list of subscribers.
VISIT OUR BLOG!
CHPP's blog includes archives of past editions of all of our alerts, as well as features on praying for the government, Israel, and other key issues.
Come visit us by going here.
The Daily Brief
1. What a 'Shutdown' Means: $63B Spent, $26B Taxed;
$1.6B Borrowed; $1B Paid in Salaries--in Just 2 Days - CNS News.com
In general terms, politicians and the press may be referring to what has been happening in Washington, D.C., over the past few days as a government "shutdown" or a "partial government shutdown," but the actual accounting sheets of the U.S. Treasury show that massive amounts of taxed and borrowed money were flowing in and out of the government during the first two days of fiscal 2014. According to the Daily Treasury Statement for Oct. 2, which was released yesterday at 4:00 p.m., the Treasury spent a total of $63.262 billion in the first two days of fiscal 2014. At the same time, it took in $25.681 billion in tax revenue. (Read more)
- Heavenly Father, we repent for this nation as this article shows how our government really is not attempting to control its spending. It is kind of overwhelming to read the numbers stated as spent in just the past two days. Have mercy, Lord! We ask You to hover over these leaders in the night and in the day, until they have a sense of You, drawing those who will come into salvation and moving aside those who will not repent. In Jesus' Name we pray, Amen and Amen.
- "Diverse weights and diverse measures, they are both alike, an abomination to the Lord." (Proverbs 20:10)
2. COLLISION COURSE: Fight over debt ceiling looms amid budget stalemate - Fox News
With prospects slim for a quick end to the 5-day-old partial government shutdown, lawmakers are turning their attention to the fight over a mid-month deadline for avoiding a threatened first-ever default on the nation's debt. (Read more)
- Abba Father, rise up and cause the ones wanting a higher debt ceiling to face the truth of what they are requesting! Spending more and more and raising the limit for borrowing is a path for economic destruction. Direct those in Congress who can hear You how to deal with this. We ask in the Name of Jesus, Amen and Amen.
- "The Lord brings the counsel of the nations to nothing; He makes the plans of the peoples of no effect." (Psalm 33:10)
3. Feds Try to Close the OCEAN Because of Shutdown - Breitbart
Just before the weekend, the National Park Service informed charter boat captains in Florida that the Florida Bay was "closed" due to the shutdown. Until government funding is restored, the fishing boats are prohibited from taking anglers into 1,100 square-miles of open ocean. Fishing is also prohibited at Biscayne National Park during the shutdown. This is governing by temper-tantrum. It is on par with the government's ham-fisted attempts to close the DC WWII Memorial, an open-air public monument that is normally accessible 24 hours a day. By accessible I mean, you walk up to it. When you have finished reflecting, you then walk away from it. At least that Memorial is an actual structure, with some kind of perimeter that can be fenced off. Florida Bay is the ocean. How, pray tell, do you "close" 1,100 square miles of ocean? Why would one even need to do so? Apparently, according to an anonymous Park Service ranger, "We've been told to make life as difficult for people as we can. It's disgusting." (Read more)
- Father in Heaven, we come and fall before You as we read this article. Obama and his minions are, indeed, going to extreme lengths to make their case before the people, even causing us pain in the process. We know, Abba, that You are the Omniscient One, and that You and You alone hold the answers to our budget and debt ceiling crises. We ask You to speak to our leaders, even in the night, revealing Your secrets to the answers to these problems. And Father God, we ask You to help us know how to pray, that our nation might be healed. We ask this in Jesus' Name, amen.
- "In a dream, in a vision of the night,
When deep sleep falls upon men,
While slumbering on their beds,
Then He opens the ears of men,
And seals their instructions." (Job 33:15,16)
4. Wisconsin Gov. Walker defies order to close federally-funded parks
- Fox News
Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker is defying a directive from the National Park Service to close down several state parks that receive federal funding in the wake of the partial government shutdown. (Read more) The Republican governor has directed the state Natural Resources Department to keep open parks that receive a majority of their funding from the state, The Hill reported. The department recently intervened after the Fish and Wildlife Service placed barricades near a Mississippi River boat launch because it was on federal land. The barricades were removed because of a decades-old agreement between Wisconsin and the federal government, state officials said.
- Lord, we lift up praise for this action by Governor Walker and give thanks for his actions for those he is elected to serve. May this kind of action spread across our nation, in the Name of Jesus, Amen and Amen.
- "To do righteousness and justice is more acceptable to the Lord than sacrifice." (Proverbs 21:3)
5. US shutdown: Defence staff told to return to work - BBC
Most of the 400,000 US defence department staff sent home amid the US government shutdown have been told to return to work next week. Defence Secretary Chuck Hagel said the decision was based on an interpretation of the Pay Our Military Act. A budget row between Republicans and Democrats has forced the closure of federal services for five days now. (Read more)
- Heavenly Father, we give praise that these defense workers will be allowed to return to work and receive the pay they have lost. We lift up the deadlock of negotiations for the national budget and the debt ceiling limit to Your heavenly throne. It appears there are leaders who refuse to discuss and compromise but instead demand their wants only. Father, have mercy. We know that this nation is full of sin and we stand in repentance before You for our fallen ways. We now arise and put the stake of the cross of Jesus Christ through these spirits of selfishness and darkness, placing their actions under the blood of Jesus, praying in Jesus' Name, Amen and Amen.
- "Restore us, O Lord God of Hosts; cause Your face to shine, and we shall be saved!" (Psalm 80:19)
6. Sisters of woman killed in DC chase question police actions - Fox News
The family of a woman who was shot to death outside the U.S. Capitol after trying to ram her car through a White House barrier said Friday they want to know why she had to die. Speaking at a press conference late Friday in Brooklyn, Miriam Carey's sister Amy Carey-Jones said Friday that her sister "seemed OK" the last time they spoke more than a week ago. "We're still very confused as a family why she's not still alive," Amy Carey-Jones said late Friday, speaking of her 34-year-old sister. "I really feel like it's not justified, not justified." Another sister, retired New York City police officer Valarie Carey, said there was "no need for a gun to be used when there was no gunfire coming from the vehicle." (Read more)
- Abba Father, what this family is asking has been voiced by other people as well. The woman in the car was not armed. No shots had come from the car. Why did they not just shoot out the tires of her vehicle and stop her that way, instead of shooting to kill? We ask that this be investigated so that a more humane response can be determined in future crises of this kind. In Jesus' Name we pray, Amen and Amen.
- "Even a child is known by his deeds, whether what he does is pure and right." (Proverbs 20:11)
7. At least 15 hurt as tornadoes sweep through Great Plains - Fox News
SIOUX FALLS, S.D. - A storm system that buried parts of Wyoming and South Dakota in heavy, wet snow on Friday also brought powerful thunderstorms packing tornadoes to the Great Plains. The storm dumped at least 33 inches of snow in a part of South Dakota's scenic Black Hills, National Weather Service meteorologist Eric Helgeson said Friday afternoon. Later in the day, thunderstorms rolled across the Plains, and witnesses reported seeing tornadoes in Nebraska, Iowa and South Dakota. There were no reports of deaths from any of the tornadoes. (Read more)
- Father, comfort those who have been injured and /or killed in these events, and have Your special angels surround Your own who are trapped in these storms. Uphold those who have lost their homes or work places due to these storms in the Great Plains. Pour down Your blessings of strength and encouragement to those who are involved with this horrific amount of snow all at once, with the ensuing serious consequences. We thank You Father, in Jesus' Name, Amen and Amen.
- "But I am poor and needy; yet the Lord thinks upon me. You are my help and my deliverer; do not delay, O my God." (Psalm 40:17)
8. Firefighters alarmed by latest rescue risk: solar panels - Fox News
Firefighters across the nation are alarmed at the prospect of battling blazes in buildings topped with solar panels, which can create new risks of roofs collapsing, an inability to gain footing and even potential electric shock. "We may very well not be able to save buildings that have alternative energy," New Jersey's Acting Fire Marshall William Kramer told The Star-Ledger. (Read more)
- Heavenly Father, it is well known that alternative energy is wanted by many in leadership. However this article raises a serious concern if a building which catches fire has solar panels all over the roof area. When this kind of alternative energy usage is encouraged, there should be careful thought given to just this kind of danger it may cause. Father, awaken those in this field to investigate carefully the possible issues from using these solar panels so adjustments can be made, and to give warnings to the public before they are installed. We ask in Jesus' Name, Amen and Amen.
- "Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good." (Romans 12:21)
9. One Million Truckers' Ride to Restore Constitution Next Week - OpEdNews (Read more)
Having had their Facebook page shut down by Facebook administrators earlier this month, a group spearheaded by the Independent Truckers of America is calling for a three-day 'buy nothing' period from October 11 - 13.
On these days, the truckers will descend upon Washington, DC, in heavy rigs with signs calling for the restoration of a constitutional republic. The truckers are demanding that congressmen obey their oath to "defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic." Supporters of the action say that members of Congress must obey their oath or resign.
Million Veteran March on DC memorials - The Gateway Pundit
A new rally is forming, "Million Vet March On The Memorials" that will be held 9am October 13, 2013 at the war memorials in Washington D.C. The group is fed up with veterans being used as political pawns and are calling all patriots to attend . . .
- Please join us in entering into three days of prayer, fasting and repentance before our Lord, as these courageous men and women descend upon our nation's capitol next weekend to let their voices be heard above the voice of tyranny in our land. The dates to fast are October 11, 12, and 13. Thank you.
- "Is this not the fast which I choose, To loosen the bonds of wickedness, To undo the bands of the yoke, And to let the oppressed go free And break every yoke?" (Isaiah 58:6)
10. Rev. Billy Graham Prepares 'Perhaps . . . My Last Message' - Newsmax
In an exclusive Newsmax interview, the Rev. Billy Graham says he is preparing what could be his final message. He also warns that domestic surveillance programs poses a serious threat to religious liberty and states: "Our country is turning away from what has made it so great." The pastor to presidents also sees signs of impending Armageddon because, he says, America "cannot go on much longer in the sea of immorality without judgment coming." (Read more)
- Abba Father, may many in our nation hear and receive this message from Rev. Billy Graham. We know that our nation is tipping into major crisis and we are asking that somehow people will listen and be convicted in their spirits that repentance is necessary. Father, we ask that You strengthen and pour Your divine wisdom into Billy Graham, causing Your blessings and righteousness to be fully evident for all to see. We ask in the Name of Jesus, Amen and Amen.
- "But this is what I commanded them, saying, 'Obey My voice, and I will be your God, and you shall be My people. And walk in all the ways that I have commanded you, that it may be well with you.'" (Jeremiah 7:23)
The Middle East in Focus
The Middle East in Focus
This week, for all the headlines cited below, please join us in proclaiming THIS DECREE:
The Lord shall go forth like a mighty man; He shall stir up His zeal like a man of war. He shall cry out, yes, shout aloud; He shall prevail against His enemies.(Isaiah 42:13)
1. Iranian Cyber Warfare Commander Killed - Bridges for Peace
Mojtaba Ahmadi, who served as commander of the Cyber War Headquarters, was found dead in a wooded area near the town of Karaj, north-west of the capital, Tehran, the Daily Telegraph reported.
2. Gulf States Carefully Watching Iran - Bridges for Peace
It takes just 18 minutes to fly from Ras Al-Khaimah in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) across the Persian Gulf to the port of Bandar Abbas in Iran. Goods of all kinds, from watermelons to carpets, make the trip by sea between the two countries.
3. Disarming the Chemical Weapons in Syria - Bridges for Peace
Over a year ago, United States President Obama declared that the use of chemical weapons in Syria would be a "red line". During the year that followed, reports of the use of chemical weapons dribbled out of Syria but they were on a very small scale and were difficult to confirm. Then, the unthinkable happened and the sleeping neighborhoods of east Damascus were blanketed with something similar to sarin gas. YouTube lit up with images of the dead and dying in the corridors of clinics. Many of these included children still in their sleepwear.
4. Egypt May Strike at Palestinians for Terror Attacks - Bridges for Peace
There may be a new conflict brewing in the Middle East involving Palestinian terrorists in the Gaza Strip. But it's not Israel they're fighting-it's Egypt. The Palestinian Ma'an News Agency reported that Egypt has made ominous plans for targets to strike in Gaza if attacks continue on Egyptian soldiers in Egypt.
5. Europe Council Votes against Circumcision - Bridges for Peace
Are Europe's Jews about to launch a new struggle for the observance of the circumcision ritual across the continent? The Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe, which represents most of the continent's states, has passed a resolution calling male ritual circumcision a "violation of the physical integrity of children according to human rights standards."
The Persecuted Church
Today's Focus: The Persecuted Church
" . . . the word of God is not chained. Therefore I endure all things for the sake of the elect, that they also may obtain the salvation which is in Christ Jesus with eternal glory." (2 Timothy 2:9,10)
Central Asia--Christian Woman Thrown out of Home - Voice of the Martyrs
"Glenna," a Christian woman in Central Asia, was recently kicked out of her home by neighbors, a VOM worker reported. Glenna's husband passed away two years ago, leaving her with three small children and a baby on the way. Shortly after, her landlord discovered she was a Christian and kicked her and her children out of their apartment.
She was able to find a new place to live and was given a job as a kids' club leader. However, recently, her neighbors again had Glenna evicted because of her Christian behavior. Even so, Glenna said, "It is important to love those that hate and persecute you." As of last week, the Lord provided a new place for Glenna and her children to live. Please pray for their continued witness.
For more news about the Persecuted Church, and how you can be more involved in intercession for these precious saints, go here.
Good News from David's Tent!
David's Tent Will Remain at the White House Ellipse!
The past few days have been wild here on the Ellipse! The government is shut down and we experienced a brief security evacuation due to the events last Thursday. But, even then the song continued on Constitution Avenue!
Within a few hours we were allowed back into the tent and we're still going strong! We're currently on day 10 of David's Tent and will continue around the clock until November 5th. Please lift us up in prayer as we keep the love song alive here on the Ellipse!
Abundant blessings, see you soon!
Ryan Montgomery and Jason Hershey
Domestic Terror Alert
Feds Worried al-Shabaab Planning Attacks Within U.S.
The House Foreign Affairs Committee this week heard testimony about the growing problem of radicalization and recruitment of Somali-Americans into jihadist organizations, most notably the al-Qaeda affiliated al-Shabaab terrorist network. This is the same group that is said to have been responsible for last week's multi-day terrorist attack on a shopping mall in Nairobi, Kenya which claimed the lives of over 60 people and injured over a hundred more, including U.S. citizens.
While al-Shabaab has had ongoing recruitment efforts underway in U.S. cities for many years, concerns are increasing within law enforcement and intelligence circles that al-Shabaab may be planning attacks on soft targets (in general, undefended targets) within the U.S.. As reported last week, al-Shabaab claims that three of the terrorists involved in the Nairobi attack are Somali-Americans from Missouri and Minnesota. These developments, in part, explain the large presence of U.S. federal agents in Nairobi helping Kenyan authorities investigate the attack. This includes collecting finger prints and DNA samples from the dead attackers as well as attempting to identify those who fled during and after the attack.
The Minneapolis-St. Paul area, is home to the largest population of Somali immigrants in the U.S.. Al-Shabaab is one of 50 US-designated Foreign Terrorist Organization as defined by the State Department. In February 2012, the emir of al-Shabaab and al-Qaeda's leader, Ayman al-Zawahiri, announced the alliance of the two organizations.
A new Worldwide Caution issued last week by the State Department highlights the range of locations targeted in the past.
"Extremists may elect to use conventional or non-conventional weapons, and target both official and private interests. Examples of such targets include high-profile sporting events, residential areas, business offices, hotels, clubs, restaurants, places of worship, schools, public areas, shopping malls, and other tourist destinations both in the United States and abroad where U.S. citizens gather in large numbers, including during holidays."
We mention this warning as the world is not getting any quieter. Far from it. Conspiracy theories aside, while our national security apparatus as a whole has been quite effective in preventing a number of terrorist attacks in the past decade, expect more. For a multitude of reasons America now has many enemies. Considering the state of our deeply troubled economy, rising domestic tensions, dysfunctional government at seemingly all levels, basic battlefield tactics would make this a prime time to stir up mayhem while everyone is disgruntled and distracted.
(Source: Threat Journal)
One Nation Under Shutdown
One Nation Under Shutdown:
Here's How Congress Is Hurting Your State
Though much of the coverage of the government shutdown has focused on the drama unfolding in Washington, D.C., the effects are being felt widely across the country.
Less than two full days in, thousands of National Guard members have been furloughed, scientific research has been halted, federal technicians have been forced off the job, and wildlife refuges have been closed.
In Idaho, a rescue mission in search of a missing Boise woman was put on hold because the workers conducting it were furloughed. In Arkansas, more than 85,000 meals for children were endangered because of cuts to nutritional programs. And in Connecticut, 13 Head Start programs serving 320 children were shut down.
In an effort to understand the totality of the damage being inflicted by the government shutdown, The Huffington Post solicited reader feedback and surveyed hundreds of local news outlets in all 50 states. The results of our search -- illustrating a nation under shutdown -- are below. . . (Huffington Post)
[To read the rest of this article, go here. Please lift up your own state before our Lord, as our nation works its way through this "Shutdown" (slimdown) time. Amen.]
Update: Employment Non-Discrimination Act (ENDA)
Homosexual activist groups and the media are gleeful in their discussion of ENDA. Justice Anthony Kennedy, who wrote for the majority in the Windsor case (DOMA), gave them cause. He wrote that the bipartisan Congressional majority that enacted DOMA in 1996 was motivated by "improper animus . . . desire to harm a politically unpopular group . . ." He went on: "The avowed purpose and practical effect of the law...are to impose a disadvantage, a separate status, and so a stigma upon all who enter into same-sex marriages made lawful by the unquestioned authority of the States."
ENDA passed out of the Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee in July, and could come to the Senate Floor any time. Ted Olson and David Boies, the elite lawyers who championed the overturn of California's Marriage Amendment, have engaged to overturn the Commonwealth of Virginia's Marriage Amendment. Olson has also endorsed a federal ENDA. This immoral and irrational reasoning is going to continue to advance until we have restrained it with Biblical, Spirit inspired and empowered prayer.
- May God's people pray and fast for God to excise the root of our nation's sexual immorality, extreme as it has become. May believers repent and show zeal for God's honor that overshadows the activists who seek special legal status and benefits for what the Bible calls abomination. May ENDA be stopped in its tracks!
- "You shall not lie with a male as with a woman. It is an abomination." (Leviticus 18:22)
The Good News Corner
The Good News Corner:
Nor fruit be on the vines;
Though the labor of the olive may fail,
And the fields yield no food;
Though the flock may be cut off from the fold,
And there be no herd in the stalls-
Yet I will rejoice in the Lord,
I will joy in the God of my salvation. (Habakkuk 3:17,18)
Worship With Us Today!
"Gates of Heaven"
by King of Kings Community Church in Jerusalem
In Hebrew and in English!
Worship with us here . . . Amen!