Capitol Hill Prayer Partners
P.O. Box 5152
Herndon, VA 20172-1970
The Israel Report Volume I, Number 1
June 2, 2013
"I will tell of the kindnesses of the Lord, the deeds for which he is to be praised, according to all the Lord has done for us . . . " (Isaiah 63:7)
U.S. - Israeli Policy
U.S. - Israeli Policy
- THE 3 MYTHS ABOUT THE TWO-STATE SOLUTION
- DID IRS TARGETING START WITH ISRAEL?
- US HINDERING ISRAELI EFFORT TO STRIKE IRAN
- ENHANCED U.S. SUPPORT OF ISRAEL: DEEPLY ROOTED
- JOHN KERRY: $4B PALESTINIAN ECONOMIC PLAN COULD WORK
- LIVNI EXPECTED TO MEET KERRY DURING UPCOMING TRIP TO U.S.
1. THE 3 MYTHS ABOUT THE TWO-STATE SOLUTION - The Jerusalem Connection
President Barack Obama's visit to Israel last March likely left even his harshest Israeli critics pleasantly surprised. He showered Israel with compliments, joked about prior disagreements, and most importantly, made no demands. Still, Obama could not completely refrain from addressing the "Israeli-Palestinian conflict," and delivered one of his signature lecture-speeches on the subject towards the end of his visit. Though the speech had little policy significance at the time, in retrospect, Obama did something rarely attempted by foreign dignitaries: he made an actual argument for the two-state solution, succinctly capturing the three fragile pillars its proponents rely upon. In so doing, however, he revealed how preposterous a solution it actually is. (Read more.)
- The promises of God in Psalm 91 will have to be the promises that Israel also clings to. That will be their only means of survival. Without question they have a superior military that can wreak havoc on their enemies - and will do just that. But the time will come when they will have to turn to the God of Israel for His intervention. When will that be?
- "Yahweh will judge his people and have compassion on his servants, when he sees that their power is gone and there is none remaining, bond or free.". . .. "Then I will take vengeance on my adversaries and repay those who hate me.". . . "Rejoice O nations with his people, for he will avenge the blood of his servants; he will take vengeance on his enemies and make atonement for his land and his people." (Deuteronomy 32:36, 41, 43)
2. DID IRS TARGETING START WITH ISRAEL? - WorldNetDaily
Tea party organizations, patriot groups, Christian outreaches and even adoptive parents have been identified as classes that the Obama administration's Internal Revenue Service targeted with harassment.
Now, another type of group has been identified that may have been the test case to determine how far the IRS could go before there is too much backlash, officials say: supporters of Israel. According to Alana Goodman of the Washington Free Beacon, the IRS was egged on by Palestinian organizations to come down hard on groups that promote an Israeli perspective. The news site said media scrutiny began as early as March 26, 2009, when the Washington Post's David Ignatius published a column questioning the groups' tax-exempt status.
Then the American-Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee started lobbying against the pro-Israel groups. According to the Wall Street Journal, such tax-exempt groups were donating to West Bank settlers, and State Department officials wanted the settlers out to meet the demands of Obama's Middle East policy. (Read more)
- By coming against the friends of Israel, the Internal Revenue Service has just come against a Power greater than themselves . . . the Name of the Lord. This can only end badly now for the IRS, for by cursing Israel, scripture promises a curse in return.
Nevertheless, there are those within this agency who do love the Lord and know His ways and who also share the same love of Israel we do. Pray for their protection as judgment begins to fall upon the Internal Revenue Service. Pray! - "I will bless those who bless you, and whoever curses you I will curse; and all peoples on earth will be blessed through you." (Gen. 12:3)
3. US DELIBERATELY HINDERING ISRAELI EFFORT TO STRIKE IRAN BY LEAKING CLASSIFIED INFO
Obama betraying Israel?
The United States is leaking information to the media in order to avert an Israeli strike in Iran. In recent weeks the US Administration has shifted to a targeted assassination of potential Israeli operations in Iran. Using a US Congressional report, along the lines of the one used by George W. Bush to embark on war in Iraq, the US has provided Iran with secret information and assessments that would otherwise necessitate an expensive, risky intelligence effort for the Iranians to acquire. Iran now has a decent picture of what Israel and the US intelligence communities know about Tehran's nuclear program and defense establishment, including its aerial defenses and they now know about the indications that would be perceived by Washington and Jerusalem as a "nuclear breakthrough". Hence, Iran can do a better job of concealment. (YnetNews) Read more.
- We are truly grieved at this report and, had it not come from such a reliable source, we would find this action hard to believe. As a nation, we simply must stand by our longtime ally and faithful friend, Israel, in the days ahead . . . with no hidden agenda in place, and no other motive in mind. This betrayal of trust will certainly boomerang against us.
Please stand in the gap for our nation and for an administration that seems bent on getting its own way, no matter what. Pray that any intelligence that has been leaked will become "as dust" in the hands of Israel's enemies, and pray for wisdom for P.M. Netanyahu as he continues to deal with the United States in the midst of these days of peril for his nation. Pray!
- "Even my close friend, someone I trusted, one who shared my bread, has turned against me. . . But may you have mercy on me, Lord; I know that you are pleased with me, for my enemy does not triumph over me." (Psalm 41:9 - 11)
4. ENHANCED U.S. SUPPORT OF ISRAEL: DEEPLY ROOTED
The special ties between the US and the Jewish State are uniquely driven by people-to-people, bottom-up relationship, shaped by the American public more than by the American government. US ties with the Jewish state have been exceptionally-forged by shared Judeo-Christian values.
"Americans' sympathy for Israel is at a high-water mark," determined a March 15, 2013 Gallup poll. According to Gallup, there is "a steady increase in relative support for Israel over the past decade . . . Americans' sympathies lean heavily toward the Israelis over the Palestinians . . . Today's 64% (compared to 12% sympathizing with the Palestinians) ties the highest Gallup has recorded in a quarter century, last seen in 1991 during the Gulf War."
A sustained and deep identification with the Jewish state has always characterized both chambers of the US Congress, which are the most authentic representatives of the US constituent - the chief axis of the US Federalist system. Moreover, the Federalist system derived its name from the Latin term, Foedus, which means "the covenant" in a Biblical sense.
Thus, the unique roots of the enhanced American support of the Jewish state precede the 1948 founding of Israel, the 1939-1944 Holocaust and even the 1776 Declaration of Independence by the USA . . . (by Yoram Ettinger, Israel Hayom, May 31, 2013) Read more.
- Offer a chorus of praise that, although the Obama administration seems not to be a true friend of Israel, America is! Our people and our Congress stand united for an undivided Jerusalem and an undivided Israel! Call forth the blessings due our nation, because the hearts of our people are still turned towards the land of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, in tender kindness. Praise God!
- "Those who bless you, I will bless . . ." (Gen. 12:3a)
5. JOHN KERRY: $4B PALESTINIAN ECONOMIC PLAN COULD WORK
SOUTHERN SHUNEH, Jordan - Secretary of State John Kerry said Sunday (May 26) he believes a plan potentially worth $4 billion is emerging that could expand the Palestinian economy by up to 50 percent in the next three years.
It could also cut unemployment by almost two-thirds and average wages could jump 40 percent, he said. But Kerry said it all depends on parallel progress on peace between Israel and the Palestinians.
Kerry has been working with former British Prime Minister Tony Blair and global business leaders at the World Economic Forum to devise economic plans to revitalize the Palestinian economy. There were few specific details offered. (POLITICO) Read more
- What a waste of our taxpayer money! But praise God -- because this plan depends upon "parallel progress on peace between Israel and the Palestinians," it is sure to fail. Praise God.
- "Devise your strategy, but it will be thwarted; propose your plan, but it will not stand, for God is with us." (Isaiah 8:10)
6. LIVNI EXPECTED TO MEET KERRY DURING UPCOMING TRIP TO U.S.
Justice Minister Tzipi Livni is scheduled to fly to Washington Sunday evening to address the American Jewish Committee's Global Forum on Monday and is expected to meet Secretary of State John Kerry to discuss his efforts to re-start Israeli-Palestinian negotiations.
Livni, who is in charge of the negotiating team with the Palestinians, has met Kerry some four times over the past two weeks. The meeting follows Kerry's visit to the region last week, and his continued push to restart talks. (Jerusalem Post) Read more.
- Pray for the success of these talks, and that any hidden agendas between these two parties would be foiled. Thank our Lord that in the covenant of His Word, He promises to provide a secure homeland for the Jewish people. May America wake up to this fact, and cease trying to proscribe any other boundaries upon the land of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob than those that have been ordained by Almighty God. Amen!
- "I will appoint a place for My people Israel, and will plant them, so that they may dwell in their own place and not be moved again; and the wicked will not waste them anymore as formerly, even from the day that I commanded judges to be over My people Israel. And I will subdue all your enemies." (I Chronicles 17:9,10)
- ISRAEL MUST REMAIN ISLAND OF STABILITY
- NETANYAHU CALLS FOR TRUTH TO COMBAT ANTI-SEMITISM
- HAMAS MEMBERS ARRESTED BY ISRAEL IN WEST BANK
- ISRAEL: "RUSSIAN MISSILES DELIVERY TO SYRIA IS 'MORALLY WRONG'"
- ISRAELIS FLOCK TO GET GAS MASKS
- CHIEF OF STAFF TELLS SETTLERS: "WE'RE IN A DIFFICULT TIME"
- GAY PRIDE MONTH IN ISRAEL; MARCHERS CONVERGE UPON TEL AVIV
- KNESSET IN COALITION CRISIS OVER DRAFTING OF ULTR-ORTHODOX INTO IDF
- WATER AND THE RIVER JORDAN
- FIREFIGHTERS UNDER ARAB ATTACK A SECOND TIME
1. ISRAEL MUST REMAIN ISLAND OF STABILITY
GOC [General Officer Commanding] Southern Command Maj. Gen. Sami Turgeman addressed the newest recruits of the Givati Brigade at their oath of loyalty ceremony last week at Latrun. The new commander of the Southern Command discussed the tasks that the newest Givati recruits will face. "Around us, the Arab states are still in turbulence. We must ensure that Israel remains an island of stability in the Middle East," he said. "The Israel Defense Forces [IDF] is strong, prepared for every task and continues to stand as a rigid as a wall against the challenges before us." [Source: (By Noam Witman, Israel Defense Forces, May 28, 2013] Read more.
(Reported by: Bridges for Peace)
- Thank the Lord for His presence and the assurance of His protection of Israel in the face of the turbulence that surrounds His chosen people. Pray that the world would recognize the reason for the difference between Israel and its neighbors.
- "Let all the earth fear the Lord; let all the inhabitants of the world stand in awe of Him." (Psalm 33:8)
2. NETANYAHU CALLS FOR TRUTH TO COMBAT ANTI-SEMITISM
Anti-Semitism is on the rise and Israel's Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu addressed the problem in a video address to the Fourth Annual anti-Semitism Conference. "It (anti-Semitism) is becoming fashionable again," he said.
"What is fashionable today is to say: 'Well, I don't hate Jews-I just don't think they should have a state' or, effectively, that their state is an illegitimate one that doesn't have a right to exist," Netanyahu told the more than 500 delegates, from over 50 countries.
He offered a list of major arguments made by critics of Israel but pointed to three specifically-Israel is guilty of war crimes, unwilling to make concessions for peace, and is violating human rights. He said these accusations were based in false information and represented a growing anti-Semitic trend. . . The conference was organized by the Israel Foreign Ministry and the newly created Jerusalem and Diaspora Affairs Ministry, led by Jewish Home Party leader Naftali Bennett. (Bridges for Peace) Read more.
- Thank God for this clear communication regarding the different forms of anti-Semitism. Pray that many people would begin to question the news media which reports with such anti-Israel bias.
"Oh, how great is Your goodness, which You have laid up for those who fear You, which You have prepared for those who trust in You In the presence of the sons of men! You shall hide them in the secret place of Your presence from the plots of man; You shall keep them secretly in a pavilion from the strife of tongues." (Psalm 31:19-20)
3. HAMAS MEMBERS ARRESTED BY ISRAEL IN WEST BANK
Three men arrested by Israeli troops in the West Bank [Judea and Samaria] town of Nablus on Wednesday [May 29] morning are being identified as senior Hamas operatives. In all, five arrests were made in Nablus; two in Qalqilya; and one near Ramallah.
Hamas is based in the Gaza Strip where the faction maintains political and security control over the population. Unlike the cooperation that exists between Israeli and Palestinian Authority security forces in the West Bank, Hamas is considered by Israel and the United States to be a terrorist organization.
(The Media Line) Reported by: Bridges for Peace
- Thank God for the accurate intelligence that led to the arrest of these terrorist leaders. Pray that Israel will continue to effectively combat her enemies who seek her destruction.
- "For the Lord will be your confidence, and will keep your foot from being caught." (Proverbs 3:26)
4. ISRAEL: "RUSSIAN MISSILES DELIVERY TO SYRIA IS 'MORALLY WRONG'"
The Russian decision to proceed with the sale of S-300 missiles to the Syrian regime is seen as "a threat" by Israel Defense Minister Moshe Yaalon. In a David and Goliath situation, Yaalon threatened to strike shipments of the advanced Russian weapons to Syria. He emphasized the Russian decision is seen as a threat and suggested there is a resolve to deny the delivery.
The Russian decision to proceed with the sale of S-300 missiles to the Syrian regime is seen as "a threat" by Israel Defense Minister Moshe Yaalon. In a David and Goliath situation, Yaalon threatened to strike shipments of the advanced Russian weapons to Syria. He emphasized the Russian decision is seen as a threat and suggested there is a resolve to deny the delivery. . .
At another location Prime Minister Netanyahu was observing the national defense drill with a team of reporters. When asked about the new threats being issued against Israel. "We are anticipating a deterioration," he said without further details.
His bureau issued a statement referring specifically to the civil defense drill. "These things we are seeing here are meant to protect Israel from an accumulation of new threats. These threats are piling up around us." (Bridges for Peace)
- Pray for Israel's leaders, especially Prime Minister Netanyahu and Defense Minister Ya'alon; that they will seek God for wisdom regarding the decisions that need to be made regarding the presence of these missiles in Syria.
- "Yes, if you cry out for discernment, and lift up your voice for understanding, if you seek her [wisdom] as silver, and search for her as for hidden treasures; then you will understand the fear of the Lord, and find the knowledge of God. For the Lord gives wisdom; from His mouth come knowledge and understanding; He stores up sound wisdom for the upright; He is a shield to those who walk uprightly." (Proverbs 2:3-7)
5. ISRAELIS FLOCK TO GET GAS MASKS
The reports of missiles launched at northern Israel in recent days has caused a significant increase in requests for gas mask kits, reported the Israel Post Office, which distributes the kits. Until approximately two weeks ago, around 2,000 kits were distributed daily; on Sunday, 4,730 were distributed, a record number for one day. The Post Office said that so far, 4,800,000 mask kits have been distributed in total. The apparent trigger for Sunday's bumper day of mask distribution was a report over the weekend that a rocket had been fired into Israel, by either Syria or Hizbullah. Lebanese media reported the rocket had hit within Israel and a loud explosion had been heard on both sides of the border. IDF officials said a search of the area had not yielded any evidence of rocket-fire into Israel. (INN)
- This is such a sad report, but we are grateful that the Israelis are seeing this danger with their eyes wide open and that they, and their government, are taking every available precaution necessary for their protection. In the end, it is only the hand of our Lord God Jehovah that can spare these people . . . just as He did through His miracle-working power at the Red Sea.
Ask our Lord to strengthen the citizens of Israel with a fierce resolve, should they come under attack. He is able to provide . . .
- "Listen to my words, Lord, consider my lament. Hear my cry for help, my King and my God, for to you I pray." (Psalm 5:1,2)
6. CHIEF OF STAFF TELLS SETTLERS: "WE'RE IN A DIFFICULT TIME"
IDF Chief of Staff Lt. Gen. Benny Gantz said this week the responsibility for making the roads of Judea and Samaria safe rests with him and the rest of the IDF command, but also asked residents of Judea and Samaria to brace for "difficult times." Lt. Gen. Gantz visited the Etzion Bloc following the recent deterioration in the security situation in Judea and Samaria, especially on the roads.
Etzion Bloc Regional Council Head Davidi Perl met with the Chief of Staff and told him: "The situation is unbearable. Residents are afraid to go out onto the roads. We have to absorb damage to property and even physical injuries on an hourly basis. There are many residents and soldiers who are hurt by the rocks." Perl said the situation makes living a normal life's routine impossible. Gantz said he is visiting the area in order to learn about the situation from up close. He asked Perl to understand that "we are in a difficult time" and said the residents of Judea and Samaria "must prepare for this," but added that the IDF would do what was possible to bring the level of security to what it once was. (Arutz-7)
- Pray for IDF Chief of Staff Lt. Gen. Benny Gantz, P.M. Benjamin Netanyahu, and all in authority in Israel as they help their people walk through this very challenging time. We turn to You, our Tender Shepherd, for grace to help in time of need. May we yet find Your light in this time of darkness, and may we yet know Your wisdom in these confusing days. Thank You, Lord, for Your promise, that as we ask, we shall receive, in Your Name, amen.
- "The Spirit of the Lord will rest on him- the Spirit of wisdom and of understanding, the Spirit of counsel and of might, the Spirit of the knowledge and fear of the Lord- and he will delight in the fear of the Lord." (Isaiah 11: 2,3)
7. GAY PRIDE MONTH IN ISRAEL; MARCHERS CONVERGE UPON TEL AVIV
Friday marked the beginning of a month designated by the authorities in Tel Aviv for the celebration of "Gay Pride". 20,000 people are said to be coming from abroad especially to join in these celebrations and 100,000 are expected to participate in the city-wide street parade scheduled for next Friday 7th June, including many leading political figures from the government and opposition. Pray:
- that God would pluck out many from the gay community and set them free through a powerful encounter with Himself.
- that some of the national leaders who are due to speak at this event would be prevented from doing so.
- for the leaders of the Messianic body would be united in speaking and praying against this abomination.
- that the funding for this event would be cut off.
- that God would even send an unseasonal rainstorm to wash out the main events.
- that God, in His mercy, would hold back the demonic powers seeking to overwhelm Israel with this uncleanness. (see Romans 1:24-27)
-- "Continue earnestly in prayer, being vigilant in it." (Col. 4:2)
8. KNESSET IN COALITION CRISIS OVER DRAFTING OF ULTR-ORTHODOX INTO IDF
Finance Minister Yair Lapid came into political prominence in the last election (January 2013) on a platform of "Sharing the Burden". A major element of sharing the burden was to be a significant change in the requirements for ultra-Orthodox Israelis to serve in the IDF. Now that work is being done to change the law, Lapid is threatening to leave the government coalition if he doesn't get what he wants in this issue. On principle all who benefit from the defense of the nation should be ready to contribute to its defense. But this is an issue capable of causing a terrible rift within the nation. The point of contention concerns what punishment there should be for draft dodgers (those who illegally avoid IDF call-up). Please pray:
- for Benyamin Netanyahu to have the wisdom of Solomon in dealing with the crisis within the government coalition. May he know when to take a firm stand and when to compromise.
- Reign in Yair Lapid and protect him from his own personal pride and ambition. If necessary, Lord, humble him.
- Give Lapid good advisors and give him the grace to listen to them.
- This issue is impossible to resolve without You, God. But with God all things are possible. (Matthew 19:26)
(Source: Intercessors for Israel) Read more.
9. WATER AND THE RIVER JORDAN
In the past two weeks it has been announced that Israel's Water Authority will be releasing 1000 cubic meters of water per day from the Sea of Galilee into the Jordan River as part of efforts to restore the ecology of the river. Jordanian authorities have undertaken to remove landmines which remain from wartime along a 30 km stretch of the river.
- Thank You, Lord for this sign of Your blessing in providing the water we needed through this year's abundant rainfall both during the season and out of season.
- Continue to give wisdom in the use of the water You provide.
- Thank You for providing water for the thirsty. (John 7:37)
- Thank You for pouring water on the dry ground. (Isaiah 44:3)
- Thank You for opening rivers and fountains and making pools in the wilderness
- Thank You for sustaining life.
- Thank You for the land You have given Your people as a heritage (Psalm 136:21-22)
- Protect all those carrying out the dangerous work of mine disposal.
(Source: Intercessors for Israel) Read more
10. FIREFIGHTERS UNDER ARAB ATTACK A SECOND TIME
Once again, Jerusalem firefighters who endangered their lives in order to prevent a blaze from reaching the homes of Arabs were greeted by those they sought to help with stones and firebombs. A similar attack happened last week, in which one firefighter was injured as a crew tried to prevent a large fire from reaching Arab homes.
In the latest incident Monday, an Arab mob threw stones and firebombs at a firefighting crew dealing with a brush fire that broke out in the Atarot Industrial Zone in northern Jerusalem. The Industrial Zone is adjacent to a large Arab neighborhood. Had the crew not put out the fire, it is likely a major blaze would have been set off in the residential area. The firefighters found themselves under heavy attack, and were only able to leave the area under the protection of border guards. (INN)
- Pray for the safety of Israel's firefighters, police and military personnel when carrying out responsibilities in and around Arab neighborhoods. Pray against ongoing Arab rock attacks against Israeli civilians.
- "If you say, "The Lord is my refuge," and you make the Most High your dwelling, no harm will overtake you, no disaster will come near your tent." (Psalm 91:9,10)
News in the Region
News in the Region
- RUSSIA STILL SET TO SELL ADVANCED MISSILES TO SYRIA
- ISRAEL'S NEW NEIGHBOR IS SYRIAN AL-QAEDA REBEL GROUP
- EU HAS LIFTED ITS EMBARGO TO SUPPLY ARMS INTO SYRIA
- GERMANY, FRANCE NOW IN FAVOR OF BLACKLISTING HEZBOLLAH
- IRAN CLAIMS IT HAS NEW LONG-RANGE MISSILE LAUNCHERS
- NEW IRANIAN MISSILE LAUNCHERS COULD OVERWHELM ISRAELI DEFENSES
- IRAN ELECTION: A COUNTRY AT AN "IMPORTANT CROSSROADS"
- THOUSANDS TAKE TO STREETS ON THIRD DAY OF TURKEY PROTESTS
- PALESTINIAN NEWSPAPER ADMITS: ISRAEL HELPS PALESTINIANS
1. RUSSIA STILL SET TO SELL ADVANCED MISSILES TO SYRIA
Despite earlier reports to the contrary, Israeli officials this week said Russia has not struck a deal with Jerusalem that would halt the sale of advanced Russian-made anti-aircraft missiles to Syria. Israeli sources said that a meeting last week between Russian President Vladimir Putin and Israeli PM Netanyahu had resulted in a cancellation of the planned sale. In return for the cancellation, Russia had reportedly elicited Israel's promise to not carry out any more air strikes inside Syria. But another unnamed senior Israeli official said the report was a "fairy tale," and that the sale of Russia's S-300 anti-aircraft system to Syria had not been canceled.
Meanwhile, Israeli Middle East expert Dr. Mordechai Kedar warned that if and when Assad's downfall becomes inevitable, the Syrian leader might seek to secure his place in the history books. "It could be that Assad, when he sees that everything is finished, will fire whatever he can in all directions - toward Turkey, maybe to Lebanon, maybe here as well," said Kedar. Syria has already aimed the bulk of its considerable ballistic missile arsenal at Israel. (Israel Today)
- This situation in Syria is extremely complex, at best. On the one hand, Assad faces a fierce rebel element, causing civil war but also tied to the Moslem Brotherhood, which is a real concern. On the other hand, Assad has the strong support of Russia, but has also threatened to strike Israel should she move again to take out his arsenal of chemical weapons. Scripture is clear that, at the time ordained by the hand of God, Damascus shall become "a ruinous heap." Pray in the Spirit over all news now coming out of Syria, and ask that Isaiah 17:1 only come to pass in the perfect timing and the perfect will of God.
- "See, Damascus will no longer be a city but will become a heap of ruins." (Is. 17:1)
2. ISRAEL'S NEW NEIGHBOR IS SYRIAN AL-QAEDA REBEL GROUP
In recent months, there has been a shakeout among the various Syrian rebel factions, and one of the dominant ones that has emerged is Jabhat al-Nusra, closely identified with al-Qaeda. Now the troops have taken up positions close to Syria's border with Israel, adjacent to the Syrian side of the Golan Heights. In a video released on Youtube, the group's soldiers are seen conducting training exercises right next to the Heights.
The video provides evidence of a well-trained, motivated fighting force, according to military experts. The group is clearly better equipped and trained than the other rebel factions, they said. They are also seen singing Arabic songs in praise of terror, and swearing revenge on the "unbelievers" - the Alawite faction that runs Syria. While the group says that putting the "Syrian house in order" is its first business, it says it eventually plans to deal with the "Zionist enemy" and end the "occupation," first of the Golan, and then of the "rest of Palestine." (INN)
- Offer praise that Israeli intelligence is on top of this situation and for the plans that must be in place to defend the nation if and when al Qaeda strikes. Raise up a shield of protection, through prayer, over the nation that is "the apple of God's eye."
- 'Do not drag me away with the wicked, with those who do evil, who speak cordially with their neighbors but harbor malice in their hearts.
Repay them for their deeds and for their evil work; repay them for what their hands have done and bring back on them what they deserve.
Because they have no regard for the deeds of the Lord and what his hands have done, he will tear them down and never build them up again." (Psalm 28:3-5)
3. EU HAS LIFTED ITS EMBARGO TO SUPPLY ARMS INTO SYRIA
European Union [EU] foreign ministers have voted to lift their arms embargo on the Syrian opposition. No member indicated an immediate program to send arms into Syria, the EU foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton told the press. The decision was not without opposition. Austria was outspoken in its concern. "We are a peace movement and not a war movement," Austrian Foreign Minister Michael Spindelegger said.
- Pray that this decision would not lead to further escalation of the civil war in Syria.
- "There are many plans in a man's heart, nevertheless the Lord's counsel-that will stand." (Proverbs 19:21)
4. GERMANY, FRANCE NOW IN FAVOR OF BLACKLISTING HEZBOLLAH
Germany and France have signaled that they will support a British proposal to put the military wing of the Lebanese group Hezbollah on the European Union's [EU] list of terrorist organizations. French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius confirmed that Paris, which has traditionally been cautious about backing steps to sanction Hezbollah, will back the UK government's motion in Brussels.
The World Jewish Congress and other Jewish organizations have lobbied EU governments in recent months to include Hezbollah on the EU's list of terrorist organizations. In February, WJC President Ronald S. Lauder wrote to all 27 EU heads of governments, urging them to blacklist Hezbollah in order to dry out its sources of funding in Europe. (World Jewish Congress) Read more.
- Thank God these European nations have acknowledged that the true nature of Hezbollah is a terrorist organization. Pray that other nations will join them and this stand will lead to action rather than simply rhetoric.
- "Do not keep silent, O God! Do not hold Your peace, and do not be still, O God!" (Psalm 83:1)
5. IRAN CLAIMS IT HAS NEW LONG-RANGE MISSILE LAUNCHERS
Iranian Defense Minister Brig.-Gen. Ahmad Vahidi claimed Sunday (May 26) that Iran's Defense Ministry has developed a long-range surface-to-surface missile launcher. Vahidi said the device is for defensive purposes and would serve as a strong response to any aggression, making the enemy regret its attack. Vahidi also claimed the advance was part of Iran's larger goal of becoming self-sufficient for crucial weapons systems. The new weapon would allow for firing large numbers of missiles at the enemy, according to Iran's Mehr News. Iran has a habit of triumphantly boasting of technological achievements that many Western analysts find doubtful, but there is little way to check if the newly declared technology works. (Jerusalem Post)
> > > Iran Begins Massive Deployment of Long Range Missile Launchers
As the Islamic Republic of Iran prepares for presidential elections next month it is fielding a "massive" number of new long-range missile launchers, Iranian media reported on Sunday.
Defense Minister Gen. Ahmad Vahidi was quoted as saying the new weapon systems give Iranian forces the ability to "crush the enemy" with the simultaneous launching of long-range surface-to-surface missiles, according to Fars, the semi-official Iranian news agency.
The report did not specify the type of missile that would be fired, or provide details on the number of launchers allegedly deployed.
Iran's military does possess surface-to-surface missiles that are capable of traveling over 2,000 kilometers (1,200 miles), able to reach of targets inside Israel and US bases in the region. (RT News) Read more.
- Offer praise that, no matter how massive man's weapons might be that are formed against Israel, they will fail. Israel has almighty God on her side; how can she lose?
- "What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us?" (Romans 8:31)
6. NEW IRANIAN MISSILE LAUNCHERS COULD OVERWHELM ISRAELI DEFENSES
Iran could have enough launchers to send a salvo of medium range ballistic missiles that would overwhelm Israeli ballistic missile defense systems, according to a Wednesday report from IHS Jane's.
A May 26 broadcast on Iranian television showcased a collection of 26 transporter erector launchers (TELs) capable of launching the Iranian Shahab-3 guided ballistic missiles.
"Iranian television footage showed at least 26 TELs lined up in two rows for the event, which marked their purported delivery to the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) Aerospace Force, which operates the country's ballistic missiles," according to the report.
The Shahab-3 is based on a North Korean design and is capable striking Israel from Iranian territory.
Despite the Iranian rhetoric, some U.S. analysts doubt Iran's ability to overwhelm Israel's defensive systems. "The Iranians are very good at telling themselves they have terrific and devastating technology which a cynic or skeptic like me may doubt," naval analyst Norman Friedman told USNI News. "It is a lot easier to multiply [launchers] than missiles." (USNI) Read more.
- Thank the LORD for the courage, strength, skill and tenacity of Israel's armed forces. By the grace of God, even such terrible weapons, in the end, can be effective against the land of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. Pray!
- "The Lord is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower. I will call upon the Lord, who is worthy to be praised: so shall I be saved from mine enemies." (Psalm 18:2,3)
7. IRAN ELECTION: A COUNTRY AT AN "IMPORTANT CROSSROADS"
. . .The powerbrokers: Revolutionary Guards
Iran is not only a clerical but a security state. And at its heart are the Revolutionary Guards, which rose from a ragtag group of young revolutionaries to an elite cadre of immense political and economic power.
With Ayatollah Ali Khamenei as their ally and commander in chief, they control strategic missile forces, domestic and foreign security and intelligence operations as well as holding seats in parliament, in senior ranks of the Supreme National Council, Expediency Council and national broadcasting corporation. They are also an oligarchy that profits from oil, auto manufacturing, telecoms, construction and engineering.
"Khamenei has alienated all civilian political forces which were pillars of his rule and the regime," says Ali Alfoneh, author of Iran Unveiled, on the rise of the guards. "Those who tried to liberalize the system have been marginalized. The populists are chased away . . . this makes Khamenei more dependent than ever on the (guards.)". . .
The June 14 poll to replace embattled President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad is an exercise in political manipulation, stage-managed by Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, his Guardian Council and the factions pushing and pulling for power behind the scenes.
Nevertheless some 55 million of Iran's 79 million people are old enough to vote. And sentiments are running high both inside the beleaguered country and in the West, where anxiety about Iran's nuclear program threatens to spark a confrontation with Israel or the U.S.
Although increasingly powerful, they were not interested in fielding their own candidate for this election, he added. With the stronger ones already eliminated, they are in an ideal position to manipulate whoever wins. (Unity Coalition for Israel) Read more.
- Pray for the safekeeping of all Iranian citizens as they go to the polls on June 14th. May God's will be done in that nation, and may this signal the end of the regime of Mahmoud Ahmadenijad. Pray for a miracle. Pray!
- " . . . he deposes kings and raises up others." (Daniel 2:21)
8. THOUSANDS TAKE TO STREETS ON THIRD DAY OF TURKEY PROTESTS
Tens of thousands of people took to the streets in Turkey's four biggest cities on Sunday and clashed with riot police firing tear gas in the third day of the fiercest anti-government protests in years.
The protests, started by a small group of environmental campaigners, mushroomed when police used force to eject them from the park on Taksim Square. As word spread online, the demonstrations drew in a wide range of people of all ages from across the political and social spectrum.
The ferocity of the police response in Istanbul shocked Turks, as well as tourists caught up in the unrest in one of the world's most visited destinations. It has drawn rebukes from the United States, European Union and international rights groups.
Helicopters fired tear gas canisters into residential neighborhoods and police used tear gas to try to smoke people out of buildings. Footage on YouTube showed one protester being hit by an armored police truck as it charged a barricade. (Reuters) Read more.
- Watching YouTube footage of this action on the streets of Istanbul, Ankara, and other cities in Turkey this weekend reminds us of the images of Egypt that suddenly burst forth on our TV screens over two years ago. Clearly, Erdogan's regime is being challenged. This challenge of his authority may not be without cause, as Erdogan recently forced P.M. Netanyahu to apologize for the deaths of Turkish soldiers on a flotilla over three years ago. In forcing Israel to "bow" without cause, P.M. Erdogan has now set himself up for major backlash in the spirit. Pray that P.M. Erdogan will see the error of his ways, and pray for God's perfect will to be done now in Turkey. Pray!
> > > To learn more about P.M. Netanyahu's apology, go here.
- "And all things you ask in prayer, believing, you will receive." (Matthew 21:22)
9. PALESTINIAN NEWSPAPER ADMITS: ISRAEL HELPS PALESTINIANS
According to Palestinian Media Watch, the Palestinian daily Al Hayat Al Jadida reported, "PA Minister of Health, Hani Abdeen visited the Israeli Hadassah Hospital. This is the first visit by a Palestinian minister to one of the most important Israeli hospitals, according to the hospital's announcement. Minister Abdeen who was accompanied by a delegation that included senior officials of the ministry and of the PA, met with the Director of Ein Karem Hadassah Hospital, Yuval Weiss. He [the minister] visited Palestinian patients being treated in the hospital, and he distributed gifts."
Al Hayat Al Jadida continued, "Hospital director Weiss said: 'We relate to patients without regard to nationality and religion. We treat Muslims, Christians, Jews, and other nationalities without bias, and 30% of the patients who are children are Palestinians.' He went on to say: 'We've begun cooperating with the Palestinians. We now train teams of physicians from the hospital in Beit Jala in the southern West Bank, to treat cancer among children. We have about 60 Palestinian medical interns and specialist physicians who will be returning to the Palestinian Authority areas to carry out their work." (United with Israel) Read more.
Comment on this from United with Israel:
IT IS RARE FOR A PA NEWSPAPER TO PRAISE ISRAEL
The fact that the official PA daily Al Hayat Al Jadida has recognized these facts is very refreshing, especially given the routine incitement that occurs against Israel and the Jewish people in this publication, as well as other Palestinian newspapers. For example, in the past, the Al Hayat Al Jadida publication has denied the fact that the Western Wall belongs to the Jewish people, accused Israel of murdering and poisoning Palestinian prisoners, and according to Palestinian Media Watch declared that Israel withholds "elementary human rights from Palestinian children." Indeed, this one article was a rare example where the Al Hayat Al Jadida publication showed Israel in a positive light, as a country that helps rather than hurts Palestinians. (By Rachel Avraham, staff writer for United With Israel)
- Offer praise to the Lord for this good report from the Palestinian people. May their eyes continue to be opened to the truth that will set them free, for this indeed is the only way for them to live in peace with their Israeli neighbors. Praise God.
- "Then will the eyes of the blind be opened and the ears of the deaf unstopped." (Is. 35:5)
This Week, Worship Our Lord As . . .
This Week, Worship Our Lord As . . .
LORD OF LORDS
"I am the Lord; that is my name! I will not yield my glory to another or my praise to idols." (Isa. 42:8)
You are the Lord. You are my master. You know me personally. There is no other need that must be fulfilled; You satisfy my every need. Thank You for being Lord to me. I love you.
(Source: THE NAME- HaShem: Daily Devotional Worship by Dr. Barri Cae Mallin)
Available on Amazon.com by going here.