Capitol Hill Prayer Partners
P.O. Box 5152
Herndon, VA 20172-1970
The Daily Brief Tuesday, June 18, 2013
"What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder. . . ." (Mark 10:9)
Guidelines for today's American Prayer Initiative can be found by going here.
The Daily Brief
1. NSA Chief Testifies About Leaks - Fox News
National Security Agency chief Gen. Keith Alexander addressed the House intelligence committee on Tuesday in a rare public hearing that could shed new light on the scope of the government's classified surveillance programs. The NSA chief defended surveillance; says helped prevent terror plots more than 50 times since 9/11.
- Lord, we pray for discernment for the intelligence committee. We pray that testimony given would bring forth truth. Let deception be exposed. We do pray for protection for those security interests that should not be exposed. Make every crooked way straight. We pray also for the media coverage that it would be truthful. We pray for Your light to expose all that is not right. In the name of Jesus we pray. Amen.
- "I will bring the blind by a way they did not know; I will lead them in paths they have not known, I will make darkness light before them, and crooked places straight." (Isaiah 42:16)
2. Secret Court Ruling Put Tech Companies in Data Bind - NY Times
In a secret court in Washington, Yahoo's top lawyers made their case. The government had sought help in spying on certain foreign users, without a warrant, and Yahoo had refused, saying the broad requests were unconstitutional.
- Lord, we pray for the leadership of Yahoo and its lawyers. We also pray that what is still being done in secret will come to light. If things were done without the appropriate warrants we pray that all involved will be held accountable. We ask for a just verdict in this case.
Awaken America to all of these scandals we pray. Give people, especially leaders who know truth, wisdom and courage to know what to do. Deliver us from these troubles we pray. In the name of Jesus, Amen.
- "The righteous cry out, and the Lord hears, and delivers them out of all their troubles." (Psalm 34:17)
3. US president to seek help from Putin on Syria - Jerusalem Post
US President Barack Obama will seek the help on Monday of Russia's Vladimir Putin, Syria's most powerful ally, to bring Bashar Assad to the negotiating table and end a two-year civil war.
- Father God, whenever Russia is involved, prayer is needed. Lord, we do pray for these leaders to be granted wisdom to know what to do about Syria. May they seek and pursue peace. We pray for peace and an end to the civil war. We pray they will depart from evil and do good. In the name of Jesus. Amen.
- "Depart from evil and do good; seek peace and pursue it." (Psalm 34:14)
4. Egyptian president cuts all diplomatic ties with Syria - Times of Israel
Egyptian President Mohammed Morsi on Saturday announced that Egypt was cutting all ties with Syria, and ordered the Syrian embassy in Cairo closed.
- Lord, Your kingdom come and Your will be done in Egypt and Syria. Bless Your people in these countries. Strike and do whatever is necessary to heal and turn people to You. As a faithful member of the Moslem Brotherhood, Morsi is bent upon deposing Assad in Syria, who is not in league with this alliance. The plans to recreate the Islamic Caliphate are still in motion; we ask You to move upon these "kings" and to stay their hands from coming against Your will for the nations, outside of Your time.
Following is a scripture we lift to You and pray for revelation. In the name of Jesus we pray. Amen.
- "And the Lord will strike Egypt, He will strike and heal it; they will return to the Lord, and He will be entreated by them and heal them. In that day there will be a highway from Egypt to Assyria, and the Assyrian will come into Egypt and the Egyptian into Assyria, and the Egyptians will serve with the Assyrians. In that day Israel will be one of three with Egypt and Assyria--a blessing in the midst of the land, whom the Lord of hosts shall bless, saying, 'Blessed is Egypt My people, and the Assyria the work of My hands, and Israel my inheritance.'" (Isaiah 19:22-24)
5. After Firebombing of Third Montreal Jewish Business, Community Group Demands Answers from Police - Algemeiner
Following the latest in a string of firebombing attacks on Jewish targets in Montreal, Canada, a Jewish community group is demanding answers from the police.
- Lord, we pray for the answers to come forth, so that those who are responsible for these actions can be found guilty in a court of law and therefore held accountable. Open the eyes and ears of the police in finding any needed evidence we pray. May the Jewish people cry out to God for the fires to be quenched. Please protect all other Jewish targets. In the name of Jesus we pray, Amen.
- "Then the people cried out to Moses, and when Moses prayed to the Lord, the fire was quenched." (Numbers 11:2)
The Middle East in Focus
The Middle East in Focus
This week, for all the headlines cited below, please join us in proclaiming THIS DECREE:
". . . and the name of the city from that day shall be, 'The Lord is there.'" (Ezekiel 48:35)
1. IDF not commenting on report Israel attacked Syrian airport - Jerusalem Post
The IDF was not commenting on a report on a Syrian TV station associated with the rebel forces that Israel attacked on Sunday night the military airbase Al-Miza, West of Damascus, Israel Radio reported. The report noted that a rebel organization had taken responsibility for the attack after the explosion to took place on Sunday night.
2. Reports in Syria: Israel attacked another airport - Ynet News
News outlets affiliated with the Syrian opposition estimated that a massive explosion heard Sunday night at the Al-Maza military airport west of Damascus area was the result of an Israeli attack.
3. PA: Israel declared death of 2-state solution - Ynet News
"Israel has officially declared the death of the two-state solution," chief Palestinian negotiator Saeb Erekat said Monday in response to Economy Minister Naftali Bennett's claim that the two-state solution had reached a "dead end."
4. Netanyahu reaffirms two-state solution after Bennett says it's at a dead-end - Jerusalem Post
Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu reaffirmed Israel's commitment to a negotiated two-state solution after Economy and Trade Minister Naftali Bennett (Bayit Yehudi) said on Monday that the idea of a Palestinian state within Israel was at a dead end.
5. Joint US-Israeli contingency plan: '18 chemical targets in Syria' - Ynet News
While the US prepares to arm rebels and after its confirmation that the Syrian army has used chemical weapons and crossed the much debated "red line", Time Magazine published a detailed account of how and when the US and Israel plan to destroy President Bashar Assad's chemical weapons stockpile.
The Persecuted Church
Today's Focus: The Persecuted Church
"But now, this is what the Lord says- he who created you, Jacob, he who formed you, Israel: "Do not fear, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine." (Isaiah 43:1)
1. Hopes for a New Era in Iran as Moderate Rohani Wins Presidential Elections - AsiaNews
The victory in the Iranian presidential of moderate Hassan Rohani, after eight years of the Ahmadinejad government has received a positive response in the international community, particularly the United States, the West, the UN and the Gulf monarchies.
In an interview with CBS News, Denis McDonough, Chief of Staff of the United States, said that the White House is "ready to work with Hassan Rohani, but only if he complies with the requirements of the United Nations on the interruption of the nuclear program."
Last night, Catherine Ashton, EU foreign policy chief, said that with the election of moderate Rohani, the Union is hoping for a quick diplomatic solution to the Iranian nuclear dispute.
2. Smuggled Letter Reveals Christians Remain Imprisoned in Northeastern China Labor Camp - ASSIST News Service
One of the frustrations of my work at VOM is the seeming indifference of the secular media to the suffering of our Christian brothers and sisters around the world. Yes, there are times when a story of persecution breaks through into our national conversation-Youcef Nadarkhani in Iran, or the attack on Dogo Nahawa in Nigeria-but for the most part Christian persecution is not a story we see on the evening news or read even in the fine-print sections of the newspaper.
Partly because of this frustration, I read with great interest the story in the New York Times this week about a letter smuggled out of the Masanjia labor camp in China that revealed the terrible conditions of the prisoners. The story of the letter is fascinating in itself-it was smuggled out of the country tucked inside a package of mock tombstones that were sold by a K-Mart in Oregon as Halloween decorations.
But the words that caught my eye weren't about the letter; they were about the camp the letter was written from: "According to former inmates, roughly half of Masanjia's population is made up of Falun Gong practitioners or members of underground churches "
The story then details some of the things prisoners endure, besides long days of labor creating goods for export to the West. One woman talked about being dragged around by her hair, or being shocked with electric batons until her nostrils filled with the odor of burning flesh. Others spoke of having their four limbs tied to four beds, which were then kicked farther and farther apart by the guards. "That place is a living hell," said Liu Hua, a 51-year-old former prisoner at the camp.
3. Sectarian Violence and Government Repression Increasingly Plague Sri Lankan Christians - Christian Today
Four years after its military victory over Tamil Tigers, Sri Lanka appears to be seeking to establish social and political supremacy of the Sinhala Buddhist majority within a unitary state, instead of bringing about reconciliation. And this post-war resurgence of nationalism no longer threatens only the Tamil ethnic minority, but also religious minorities, particularly Christians and Muslims.
While attacks on Muslims have hit the headlines in some foreign media in recent months, the increasing incidence of Christian persecution has received little attention internationally.
The Bodu Bala Sena (Buddhist Power Force or BBS) and the Sinhala Ravaya (Sinhala Echo) - currently the most active Buddhist Right-wing groups which claim to protect the country's Sinhalese-Buddhist character - have led numerous attacks on Christians and churches.
For more news about the Persecuted Church, and how you can be more involved in intercession for these precious saints, go here.
The Madison Report
The Madison Report
The Week of June 17 - 21
Fellow conservative patriots,
This will be a big week in Washington for special interests. The two big items this week are the immigration/amnesty bill in the Senate and the farm bill in the House. Ironically, they are both designed as handouts to special interests at the expense of the broader population. The farm bill helps Big Ag with price supports and the immigration bill helps them with wage supports.
This week might be the turning point in the battle for the future of our country, but only if We the People make sure our collective voices are heard.
The Honorable Jim Ryun
Chairman of The Madison Project
The Farm Bill
Last week, John Boehner announced his support for the House farm bill, HR 1947. He plans to bring the $955 billion package to the floor on Wednesday. This bill makes minor baseline cuts to food stamps while playing a bait and switch with agriculture programs - cutting direct subsidies and adding numerous new crop insurance and price support programs. While Republicans plan to bring some amendments to the floor that will reform the sugar subsidies and dairy supply management regulations, those provisions will be stripped out when they go to conference with the Senate.
Conservatives must continue to oppose new 5-year farm bills until leadership agrees to separate food stamps and agriculture programs. That way we will have the ability to shine some sun light on both aspects without confronting the juggernaut of the rural-urban logrolling alliance. We need to chart food stamps on a course towards pre-Bush era levels of spending and work on devolving the program to the states. On the farming side, we understand that 80 years of government intervention will not end overnight, but we need to be guaranteed that these reforms, along with means-testing of subsidies will be included in any conference report before we sign off on another failed 5-year bill. It is better to pass another short-term extension than a bad long-term bill that precludes structural changes for another 5 years.
The Daily Jot
White House argues for a new war--a prophetic buzz saw
The president was interviewed by Charlie Rose of PBS about Syria. The exchange was an astounding mixture of duplicity and arrogance that is sure to involve the United States in yet another war in the Middle East where tax money and quite possibly American blood will be poured into the coffers of terrorist organizations such as the Muslim Brotherhood and al Qaeda. The president made the audacious statement that unless you have sat in the White House Situation Room, you cannot understand the complexity of the situation. Maybe that's why Benghazi went so wrong, the president went missing from the Situation Room for nearly 12 hours. But it gets worse as the interview proceeds.
He explained his Syrian strategy in one sentence: "Really, what we're trying to do is take sides against extremists of all sorts and in favor of people who are in favor of moderation, tolerance, representative government, and over the long-term, stability and prosperity for the people of Syria." The American people need to hold the president accountable on this statement. There are few organizations as extreme as the Muslim Brotherhood and al Qaeda. And that is where your tax dollar is going to end up. It ended up there in Egypt and Libya and the only credible opposition fighting force in Syria is supported by al Qaeda. This has been confirmed by al Qaeda and multiple credible news reports.
The White House strategy is in conflict with reality. The president is about to use your tax dollars to once again fund extremism. Yet the "president" says that he draws the distinction differently: "As I said before, the distinction I make is between extremists and those who are recognized in a 21st century world that the way the Middle East is going to succeed is when you have governments that meet the aspirations of their people, that are tolerant, that are not sectarian." But the stated goal of the Muslim Brotherhood is to establish a worldwide caliphate where Islam is the religion and Sharia is the law. Al Qaeda is one military arm that will fight to do it.
In every instance of recent instability in the Middle East, the people have been stirred up for "democracy," they get the ball rolling, the Muslim Brotherhood and al Qaeda hijack the movement, overthrow the government with America's help, put their "candidates" up for office, and "democratically" take control of the nation. The White House is complicit in destabilizing the Middle East using extremists. You are funding it. Our troops can't have a warm breakfast and our kids can't tour the White House, but we can give millions to Islamists. And if we disagree, our phone conversations and emails are being monitored. As Proverbs 29:2 says, " . . . when the wicked bear rule, the people mourn." This must be stopped.
Have A Blessed And Powerful Day,
TWO MAJOR D.C. RALLIES TOMORROW!
TWO MAJOR D.C. RALLIES TOMORROW!
Make your voice heard!!
1) The Tea Party Patriots are sponsoring an "Audit The IRS Rally" on the West Lawn of the U.S. Capitol tomorrow from noon to 2:00 pm. The rally is intended to make sure members of Congress hear from Americans outraged by the IRS's abuse of Tea Party groups, conservative organizations and Christian ministries. Click here for more information.
2) Rep. Steve King (R-IA), a great conservative champion, is organizing a grassroots protest on the East Lawn of the U.S. Capitol against the Senate's amnesty bill. Members of Congress and others, including Glenn Beck, will address the crowd throughout the day from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm. (The event will break for two hours for the first event.) Click here to learn more.
Make your voice heard! Please make every effort to attend these two events! (Gary Bauer)
To learn more about both events, go here.
Tomorrow, Liberty Counsel will be hand-delivering our "Investigate the IRS" petitions to leading lawmakers on Capitol Hill.
Our petition delivery coincides with another major event. Thousands of freedom-loving Americans will assemble on the West Lawn of the Capitol in a unified display of outrage against overreaching big government and the IRS abuse in targeting tea party, conservative and religious groups during the 2010-2012 election seasons.
. . . there are just a few hours remaining for you to be part of this critical petition delivery - and to have your voice added with the thousands of others who will be in attendance in Washington, D.C.
Liberty Counsel is calling for a complete investigation by Congress, including the establishment of a Special Counsel to completely expose the IRS abuses.
Please go here today to sign our powerful petition. You must add your name by the end of the day today to be included in our special delivery tomorrow.
> > > Stand together on these promises from the Word of God:
"Though they are at full strength and likewise many, Even so, they will be cut off and pass away. Though I have afflicted you, I will afflict you no longer."
"And David spoke to the men that stood by him, saying: What shall be given to the man that shall kill this Philistine, and shall take away the reproach from Israel? for who is this uncircumcised Philistine, that he should defy the armies of the living God?" So do not throw away this confident trust in the Lord. Remember the great reward it brings you!" (Hebrews 10:35)
DOMA/Prop 8: Media Bias is Real
DOMA/Prop 8: Yes, the Media Bias is Real
As the country debates same-sex "marriage," the left-wing media and the popular culture have been eager cheerleaders for the radical notion of men "marrying" other men.
The Pew Research Center studied more than 500 media reports about the issue during the time when two prominent cases were before the Supreme Court. Pew concluded: "Stories with more statements supporting same-sex marriage outweighed those with more statements opposing it by a margin of roughly 5-to-1."
Many Americans have come to falsely assume that nearly a quarter of the population is gay partly because of this type of grossly distorted reporting. The real figure is significantly lower. (Gary Bauer)
Special Report: 3.4% of U.S. Adults Identify as LGBT
To read the entire article, go here.
> > > Please CONTINUE to pray in the Spirit this week, as the justices are writing their final opinions on DOMA/ Proposition 8 and many other cases that were heard before the Supreme Court this year. Thank you.
- "The effectual, fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much." (James 5:16)
The Good News Corner
The Good News Corner:
Testimony: Buddhist Monk Hell and Heaven
(Near Death Experience)
We praise God for this good report, and the fact that God can reach the heart of any soul, as we continue to cry out before Him for the salvation of the lost.
He even has a corner reserved in heaven for "born-again Buddhists" . . . now brothers and sisters in Christ!
- IT IS WRITTEN: "It is a trustworthy statement, deserving full acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, among whom I am foremost of all." (I Timothy 1:15)
Pray for the Harvest!
Pray for the Harvest!
"Do you not say, 'Four months more and then the harvest'? I tell you, open your eyes and look at the fields! They are ripe for harvest." (John 4:35)
Every day, in every nation on earth, tens of thousands of men and women are making decisions for Christ. Now, you can monitor this amazing fact online by literally "watching" as these souls are born again into the Kingdom.
Of course, the identities of those who are coming to the Lord are never revealed, but our God knows who they are!
Join us as we monitor these "names" daily, praying over each one to be mentored and to grow in his or her faith . . . even in these perilous times. You may visit either or both of the sites below, to pray for fields that are ripe for harvest.
> > > OPTION ONE: AboutJesus.net
> > > OPTION TWO: The Great Commission Map!
Worship With Us Today!
Worship With Us Today!
All Hail the Power of Jesus' Name
(Diadem arr. Sterling Procter)
All hail the power of Jesus' name!
Let angels prostrate fall;
bring forth the royal diadem,
and crown Him Lord of all.
Bring forth the royal diadem,
and crown Him Lord of all.