Capitol Hill Prayer Partners
P.O. Box 5152
Herndon, VA 20172-1970
The Daily Brief Friday, June 14, 2013
"I will praise You, O Lord, with my whole heart;
I will tell of all Your marvelous works." (Ps. 9:1)
Guidelines for today's American Prayer Initiative can be found by going here.
The Daily Brief
1. White House plan to arm Syrian rebels raises fears of terrorist links
- Fox News
As the White House appeared poised to send military aid to Syrian rebels, new concerns arose that the weapons will inevitably fall into the hands of terrorist groups who count themselves among hundreds of factions that form the rag-tag Free Syrian Army. . . with U.S. officials confirming Assad's use of chemical weapons against civilians - crossing Obama's "red line" - the White House strongly indicated that weapons are on the way.
"The president has made the decision to authorize additional assistance, but we're not going into specifics," National Security Council spokeswoman Bernadette Meehan told FoxNews.com Friday. "The president has been very clear that all options are on the table, with the exception of U.S. troops on the ground. That is not a possibility." Initial military aid is expected. (Read more)
- This news is not a great way to end this week . . . Although our hearts go out to those who are suffering under Assad's regime and now his reported use of chemical weapons, nevertheless, Russia is also waiting in the wings, ready to defend Assad from foreign intervention.
The stage is now set for an end-time conflict. It is time to pray.
- "Thy Kingdom come, Thy will be done on earth, as it is in heaven." (Matthew 6:10)
2. Obama Admin Considers Resettling Thousands of Syrian Refugees in U.S. - Breitbart
The Obama administration is considering resettling thousands of refugees who left Syria during the country's ongoing civil war to multiple towns and cities across the United States, the L.A. Times reports. The State Department is "ready to consider the idea," an official from the department said, if the administration receives a formal request from the United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Refugees, which is the usual procedure.The United States usually accepts about half the refugees that the U.N. agency proposes for resettlement, which, at present is approximately 1.6 million. U.N. refugee officials, along with diplomats and non-governmental relief groups, are scheduled to meet in Geneva this week to discuss potential resettlement plans. Germany has already agreed to take 5,000 refugees.
- "Abba, we ask that You would be present, and influence this upcoming meeting in Geneva, as the U.N. refugee officials meet to discuss possible resettlement plans for these massive numbers of Syrian refugees. We ask for wisdom, Your wisdom, to be present and operative through our own U.S. representatives, as well as the others, as they weigh their options in trying to help those displaced from their home country.
Lord of Hosts, we ask that somehow we would not host those Syrian Moslems, who may wish to harm us, but rather give help to those who love freedom and righteousness. We ask You to shine Your light on this situation, and upon the hearts of all those displaced, and make their intentions known, whether good or evil. Amen.
- "He reveals deep and secret things; He knows what lies in the darkness; and light dwells with Him." (Daniel 2:22)
3. Senate rejects Republican effort to gut immigration bill - Reuters
A landmark immigration bill survived a major challenge in the Senate on Thursday when its bipartisan "Gang of Eight" sponsors beat back an amendment that would have delayed a pathway to citizenship for 11 million illegal residents. (Read more news on the Immigration Bill, S. 744, on our special section, below.)
- Father, we bring this whole issue of immigration to You, and ask that You give Your wisdom to lawmakers on both sides of the aisle, to solve this problem. We pray that our legislators will reach an agreement on a bill that will strengthen our border security and make blanket amnesty illegal. We thank You that Your plans are for good, and not for evil, to give us and them a future and a hope. Amen.
- "I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you with my loving eye on you." (Psalm 32:8)
4. Courage: 70 House Republicans take on GOP leadership over immigration - The Blaze
This morning, TheBlaze exclusively reported that 70 House Republicans are planning for a showdown with Speaker John Boehner (R-OH) over the immigration bill congressional leadership is trying to push through by July 4. It's easy to paint all politicians as politically expedient fools (and most times you'd be right), but the decision of these 70 Republicans to stand up to the majority is one of the most courageous acts we have seen in a long time. This issue is no longer political. It is moral.
- Offer a word of praise for those members of Congress who have yet found the courage to speak up and to do what is right and best for the American people. Ask God to forgive those who would say that "the entire Congress needs to be thrown out of office," for these words are not true. Pray for those who are standing for truth and for the blessing of our nation in the halls of Congress. Pray!
- "He will be a spirit of justice to the one who sits in judgment, a source of strength to those who turn back the battle at the gate." (Isaiah 28:6)
5. House votes to limit Obama's authority to detain US citizens - The Hill
Lawmakers approved an amendment that says nothing in U.S. law can deny citizens the right to a court hearing. In a close 214-211 vote, members approved an amendment to the 2014 National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) from Rep. Bob Goodlatte (R-Va.) that says nothing in U.S. law can deny citizens the right to a court hearing. Twenty-one Republicans voted against the amendment, and only three Democrats voted for it. (Read more)
- Offer a chorus of praise to the Lord for this answer to prayer. Many Americans have been rightly concerned about certain features of the NDAA since is was passed last year. The stripping of this feature is a great victory for all. Lift up the Senate as it next considers the passage of this bill later this year. Ask that they will follow the lead of the House and secure our rights to a court hearing, when needed. Pray!
- "The righteous cry out, and the LORD hears them; he delivers them from all their troubles." (Psalm 34:17)
6. FBI director in the dark about IRS probe, defends surveillance programs - Fox News
The country's top investigator seemed to be in the dark Thursday when pressed to provide details of the IRS investigation into the tax agency's targeting of Tea Party and conservative groups. Rep. Jim Jordan, R-Ohio, seemed to rattle FBI Director Robert Mueller for not knowing the specifics surrounding the IRS probe. "You've had a month now to investigate," Jordan said. "This has been the biggest story in the country and you can't even tell me who the lead investigator is. You can't tell me the actions the inspector general took which are not typically how investigations are done. You can't tell me if that's appropriate or not. This is not speculation. This is what happened." Mueller repeatedly declined to answer Jordan's questions, saying he couldn't because the investigation was ongoing or that he'd have to get back to the lawmakers with answers. When Jordan asked again," Can you tell me who the lead investigator is?" Mueller responded, "Off the top of my head, no." (Read more)
- Abba, we thank You that You are truth, and You are light, and You expose that which dwells in darkness. We ask that You continue to shine the light of truth into the dark corners of our government in these massive cover-ups of wrong doing. We ask that the people of this nation would take notice of the inequity of targeting conservatives for harassment, and would join us in demanding truth and explanations. Instead of secret meetings behind closed doors, plotting further cover-ups, we pray these government entities of the FBI, the IRS, and any others who are engaging in similar violations of privacy and policy, would "come clean" in disclosure of their activities.
We ask that You would make the truth known, so there can be no deniability. We ask for You to sweep clean the halls of government that needs to be cleansed. May we honor our Constitution, and return to the freedoms that are guaranteed therein, In Your Name we pray, Amen.
- "Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come into the light for fear that their deeds will be exposed. But whoever lives by the truth comes into the light, so that it may be seen plainly that what they have done has been done in the sight of God." (John 3:20,21)
7. Supreme Court Strikes Down Patents on Human Genes - Wired News
The Supreme Court said human genes isolated by scientists may not be patented, ruling unanimously today in a dispute weighing intellectual property associated with genes known to detect early signs of breast and ovarian cancer.
- Father, we thank You that the Court has chosen to let the ruling of a lower court stand, regarding the patenting of "intellectual property associated with human genes". When there are simple blood tests available that could predict the likelihood of having the "gene" for diseases, they should be available at a reasonable price. With labs endeavoring to market such tests at an exorbitant rate of thousands of dollars, when their own costs of running the test are minimal, they have made those tests unavailable to all but the very wealthy. We pray that this ruling will stand, in Your name we pray.
- "So are the ways of everyone who is greedy for gain; it takes away the life of its owners." (Proverbs 1:19)
8. Obama issues Gay Pride month proclamation - Baptist Press
For the fourth straight year, President Obama has issued a proclamation recognizing June as Gay Pride month, saying "more remains to be done" in advancing gay issues and for the first time acknowledging his support for gay marriage within a proclamation.
- Lord of Creation, we are grieved that our president has come down on the side of that which You call an abomination. We are further distressed to read that he chose to use two third grade children to announce this month of "honor" for this deviant life-style.
Our nation has rapidly accepted "that which is evil, and called it good", and have called "that which is good, evil" during the current administration. We especially lament that our children are being taught to accept those things that You have forbidden.
We ask, Lord, that You would strengthen those who stand on Your Word, and will not compromise for the sake of "political correctness". And, we ask, for Your mercy and truth to come to those who are trapped in this lifestyle through misinformation, and ask that they find their freedom in You. Amen.
- "They traded the truth of God for a lie. They worshiped and served what had been created, instead of the God Who created those things, Who soul be praised forever." (Romans 1:25)
9. Residents flee as historic Colorado wildfire burns out of control - Yahoo News
Among several Colorado wildfires now burning, the Black Forest fire has become the most destructive in the history of the state. As flames continue to rage across 15,700 acres north of Colorado Springs, Colo. residents in the region are struggling to cope with the scale of the tragedy. It remains only 5 percent contained. The Black Forest wildfire is one of three major wildfires raging in the Colorado forests and nine burning in New Mexico, all near the border between the two states.
- Abba, Lord of Heaven and Earth, we come to You on behalf of the many residents in Colorado and New Mexico, who are trying to cope with these forest fires burning across the land and destroying everything in its path. We speak to these fires, in Your name, and command them to "cease and desist". We ask for wisdom for all the firefighters risking their lives in an effort to contain these fires. We ask that these fires will quickly be brought under control, and stop their destructive paths. Give wisdom, we pray, to homeowners and all who are in the path of these fires, as to how they may save their properties and families and animals. We ask that the "devourer" be rebuked and stopped from further devastation upon this land, and that the occupants of these lands, will call upon You, and Your mercy and grace. Amen.
- "'And I will rebuke the devourer for your sakes, so that he will not destroy the fruit of your ground, nor shall the vine fail to bear fruit for you in the field', says the LORD of hosts." (Malachi 3:11)
10. House Committee Approval of Pain-Capable Unborn Child Protection Act - Family Research Council
Family Research Council (FRC) praised the passage of U.S. Rep. Trent Franks' (R-AZ) Pain-Capable Unborn Child Protection Act (H.R. 1797) in the House Judiciary Committee this afternoon [Wed., June 12]. A floor vote will be taken next week.
- Offer praise to the Lord that this pro-life piece of legislation has been passed out of committee, and pray for its passage by the full House when they vote on H.R. 1797 next week. In His Name, amen.
- " . . . being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus." (Phil. 1:6)
The Middle East in Focus
The Middle East in Focus
This week, for all the headlines cited below, please join us in proclaiming THIS DECREE:
"As in the days when you came out from the land of Egypt, I will show you miracles." (Micah 7:15)
1. Under shadow of arms transfers, US and Israeli defense chiefs holding critical talks - Times of Israel
Hafez Assad kept Hezbollah on a short leash. Although the terror organization was founded with Syria's consent in the autumn of 1982, the father of the current Syrian dictator did not allow Hezbollah to arm itself with anything more than Katyusha rockets.
2. Washington rebukes Israel over plans to build new settlement homes - Times of Israel
Plans to build more than 1,000 homes in two settlements deep in the West Bank drew swift and sharp condemnation from the US and others Thursday.
3. Shaath: PA wiling to resume talks on basis on 1967 borders - Ynet News
The Palestinian Authority will return to the negotiating table if Israel agrees to negotiate on the basis of 1967 borders or freeze settlements and free "political prisoners", Palestinian negotiator Nabil Shaath said Thursday.
4. Netanyahu warns of another Holocaust from Iran - Fox News
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu began his two-day visit to Poland, which Germany's Nazis occupied during World War II and where they committed the worst crimes ever against the Jewish people, with a stern warning about a potential Holocaust from Iran.
5. Ethiopia's last Jews prepare for 'Promised Land' - Ynet News
The last of some 2,000 descendants of Ethiopia's Jewish population, called the Falash Mura, or "wanderers" in Ethiopia's Amharic language -- is expected to move to Israel over the next 18 months, the end of an ancient chapter of Ethiopian history.
The Persecuted Church
Today's Focus: The Persecuted Church
" . . . when I am weak, then I am strong." (2 Corinthians 12:10b)
1. 10,000 Catholics Estimated to Worship in Secret Across North Korea - UCA News
"We suspect that after the long period of persecution there are still about 10,000 people who will remember in their hearts their Catholic faith." But "I find it difficult to believe that there is an organised underground Church in North Korea," Fr. Lee Eun-hyung, the General Secretary of the Catholic "Committee for the Reconciliation of the Korean People", said in an interview with Aid to the Church in Need (the foundation that supports pastoral action in areas where Catholics suffer persecution).
During the interview, Fr. Eun-hyung described the tragic conditions the North Korean population is living in and spoke about his travels, the last being a visit to the capital of North Korea in 2011. "On each visit I celebrated Holy Mass in the Catholic church of "Jangchung", named after the city district where it is located. North Korean believers attended. Nevertheless the North Korean authorities told me it was strictly forbidden for me and those working with me to contact the country's citizens personally." Fr. Eun-hyung explained that the church of Jangchung was unique in that its faithful were led by a layman who celebrated the Liturgy of the Word every Sunday." This must be true because "as far as I know" he said "there are no Catholic priests living in North Korea at present."
2. Christian Boy Kidnapped in Pakistan Memorized Ephesians to Witness to Muslim Youths - BosNewsLife
A 16-year-old Christian convert from Islam remained missing Saturday, June 8, some two weeks after he was kidnapped by Islamic militants in Pakistan's volatile Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Province, Christian said.
Aman Ullah was reportedly taken by fighters of a militant Taliban group on May 25 in Peshawar, the capital of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, the former Northwest Frontier Province.
"We don't know which of the 32 different Taliban groups operating both in Afghanistan and Pakistan is responsible," said John Taimoor, president of mission group 'Crossbearers Ministry' which works among former Muslims.
"My team, workers and disciples from Muslim backgrounds are facing pressures from many sides and physical persecution," he said in a statement. However, "We are looking to our Savior who is able to save us to the uttermost."
3. Researcher Explores the Terrorized Daily Lives of Nigeria's Persecuted Christians - Daily Post
"For if you remain silent at this time, relief and deliverance for the Jews will arise from another place, but you and your Father's family will perish. And who knows but that you have come to royal position for such a time as this?" -The Bible, Esther 4:14
The news about his death did not come to me as a surprise. He had told me in the year 2007 in Maiduguri, the Borno State capital, that his life was under threat but that he cannot run away from the city because he believes God has called him to preach the Gospel to his people.
You may ask, 'Who is this man of courage who looked death in the face and called off its bluff?' He is no other person than The Rev. Faye Pama Musa, the Borno State Secretary of the Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN).
I was in Borno State on a research trip in that year and met Rev. Faye Pama Musa. We became friends and I had the privilege of visiting his church in Wulari area of the city and also visited his house in the GRA where I met his family. In the period I was in Maiduguri we discussed extensively about the state of the Church in Borno State.
In the course of our discussion Rev. Musa shared with me the difficulties they faced in doing Christian ministry in a hostile environment where Christians are persecuted in all spheres of human endeavor. To be a Christian in Borno State, he said, "Is deciding to become a second class citizen as even citizens from other Muslim countries enjoy better privileges than those of us who are Indigenous Christians from this state," he told me.
For more news about the Persecuted Church, and how you can be more involved in intercession for these precious saints, go here.
Focus: The Immigration Bill
Focus: The Immigration Bill
The Immigration Bill (S. 744) is now in the Senate and will soon head to the House. This bill, in whatever form it takes in passage, will no doubt have a huge impact on our nation. In addition, the daily "wrangling" now happening in both chambers of Congress (House and Senate) bears witness to the fact that we must each watch carefully as this bill takes shape and eventually is sent to the president for signature into law.
For all the headlines written below, let us thank our Lord that He is in control, and that He will show us His will, as we ask. Join us now in agreeing upon this promise from the Word of God as we lift up "all in authority" according to the headlines that will follow:
"And I will bring the blind by a way that they knew not; I will lead them in paths that they have not known: I will make darkness light before them, and crooked things straight. These things will I do to them, and not forsake them." (Isaiah 42:6)
1. Cornyn emerges as key to 70-vote threshold for immigration reform - The Hill
Sen. John Cornyn (R-Texas) is the big prize in the quest for more than 70 votes for immigration reform, but the Gang of Eight is split over whether he's worth wooing.
2. Senate rejects border security amendment to immigration bill - The Hill
Sen. Chuck Grassley blasted Democrats for burying his proposal and said the vote proves the amendment process "is a farce. . . . the bill as drafted, is legalization first, and enforcement later, if at all," said Grassley. (To see a video of his speech, go here.)
3. Rubio: If same-sex marriage provision is in Senate immigration bill, 'I'm gone' - The Hill
"I'm gone, I'm off it," the Florida Republican said Thursday.
4. Moran files startup-backed amendment to immigration bill - The Hill
Sen. Jerry Moran (R-Kan.) has filed an amendment to the Senate's sweeping immigration bill that is intended to make the United States a more attractive place for foreign entrepreneurs to stay and expand their businesses.
5. Boxer to push funding for health costs of uninsured immigrants - Los Angeles Times
Sen. Barbara Boxer plans to push for Washington to provide $250 million and perhaps more to help local and state governments pay the cost of healthcare to uninsured immigrants who seek legal status under legislation now before the Senate.
The Daily Jot (IMPORTANT!)
White House to support al Qaeda in Syria
We don't have enough money to let school children tour the White House and we have cut breakfast rations for our troops in Afghanistan because of the sequester, but we have money to send al Qaeda and the Muslim Brotherhood to fight the Syrian dictator Bashar Assad. Armed with a US intel report that Assad used sarin gas several times on his own people, Deputy National Security Advisor Ben Rhodes announced from the White House that the occupant of the Oval Office will be providing direct support to the so-called "Syrian Rebels." The American people should be dubious about the intel reports. In May, for example, the UN said that Syrian rebels, aka al Qaeda, used sarin gas against its own people.
CNN's National Security Analyst Peter Bergen reported May 7 that Carla Del Ponte, of the UN Independent International Commission of Inquiry, said, "Our investigators have been in neighboring countries interviewing victims, doctors and field hospitals and, according to their report of last week which I have seen, there are strong, concrete suspicions but not yet incontrovertible proof of the use of sarin gas. This was used on the part of the opposition, the rebels, not by the government authorities." Bergen also reported that the "most effective Syrian opposition group is widely considered to be al-Nusra Front. The US State Department says that al-Nusra Front is simply a cover name for al Qaeda in Iraq."
USA Today reported on April 11 that the al-Nursa Front's Mohamad al-Joulani had pledged allegiance to al Qaeda's leader Sheik Ayman al Zawahri. In December 2012, the State Department designated al Nursa a terrorist entity. The Syrian Free Army, which is a force of defected Syrian soldiers, told USA Today that, "The rebels in Syria have one common enemy--Bashar Assad--and they will collaborate with any faction allowing them to topple his regime." It would appear that no matter how the White House tries to spin it--sarin gas or no--YOUR TAX MONEY WILL SUPPORT AL QAEDA--the very entity that has been killing Americans, and with whom the US says it is at war.
Given the lie and spy track record of the occupant of the Oval Office--lying about Benghazi, spying on news reporters, harassing political opponents with the IRS, and spying on EVERY American citizen--how can anyone believe the White House justification for sending an estimated $50 million a day to al Qaeda in Syria? Moreover, the Constitution says that "Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort. No Person shall be convicted of Treason unless on the Testimony of two Witnesses to the same overt Act, or on Confession in open Court." Deuteronomy 19:15 says, "at the mouth of two witnesses, or at the mouth of three witnesses, shall the matter be established." Are we not all witnessing these acts before our very eyes?
Have A Blessed And Powerful Day,
USA Today: go here.
CNN: go here.
Statement by Prayer Caucus Members
Eleven Members Address the Devastating Impact of the HHS Mandate
on Religious Freedom
On June 12, 11 Members participated in a bi-partisan special order hour led by Representative Fortenberry to highlight the importance of conscience protections and the devastating impact of the HHS Mandate on religious freedom. In his opening remarks, Representative Fortenberry stated, "The HHS Mandate is also a form of discrimination. It primarily targets people in faith communities. The very people who have been the backstop of compassionate care for the poor and the vulnerable and the marginalized in our society today." Similarly, Representative Huelskamp stated, "The First Amendment is to be protected, not accommodated. . . . We must be ever vigilant in standing for that first right of that First Amendment, religious liberty." Representatives Pitts, Fleming, Chris Smith, Cassidy, Walberg, Lipinski, Meadows, Huelskamp, Jordan, and Black all spoke in defense of religious liberty during the special order hour. You can view the entire hour here.
Happy Father's Day!
Happy Father's Day!
The book of Proverbs tells us that, "Children's children are the crown of old men, and the glory of children is their father." I'm still a few years a way from having grandchildren, but I've seen enough photographs of my friends and associates' grandchildren to get the picture!
As for the second portion of Solomon's insightful proverb -- the glory or significance that a child gains from their father -- I can speak to that. This Sunday as we celebrate Fathers' Day, I'm grateful for a dad that not only helped bring me into the world, but for a father that has helped guide me through this world. I cannot begin to imagine navigating this treacherous minefield we call life without the words of wisdom and the lessons taught by example from my Dad. Looking around at the cultural chaos, the political corruption, the spiritual compromise, and the breakdown of the family, many ask, "How do we turn this nation around?" "Where do we even start?"
I don't want to oversimplify the complexity of the challenges we face, but the biggest and most significant impact can be made by men who father children, simply being dads. Give your children something to glory in. To all of those who, like my Dad, have made investing in their children a top priority in life -- and to those men who have stepped in to fill the "dad void" in lives of others -- this weekend we celebrate you. Happy Father's Day! (Tony Perkins, Family Research Council)
The Good News Corner: GREAT NEWS!
The Good News Corner: GREAT NEWS!!
Youths from College Campuses Across the Nation
JOIN FORCES to "Ignite America!"
Ignite America Conference 2013:
Calling Our Campuses to Jesus
"Ignite will spread like a fire, a raging fire,
that ignites and cannot be put out."
Why Ignite America?
The colleges of America are hungering for something beyond the stale religion of past generations. Millions of students are crying out for a true encounter with God, and this will only come to pass by another outpouring of the Holy Spirit on our campuses.
In continuation of the movement already stirring in the US, the Ignite America conference will be a place where, by God's grace, we will assemble students from every single state in the US. It will be a time of examining our hearts, encountering the Holy Spirit, and crying out to the Lord for a generation of souls to be won on the campuses of America.
This is not simply an emotional rally, but rather a decisive congregation of college students from every corner of this nation, with the purposes of networking leaders, calling down the Kingdom of God here on earth, and following the Spirit of Jesus as we step into the beginnings of the Third Great Awakening in America.
Church on the Rock, Oklahoma City
July 25-28, 2013.
Arrive on the afternoon of the 25th (Registration 3:00 PM - 5:00 PM CT;
Conference begins at 6:00 PM CT).
Depart on the afternoon of the 28th (Conference ends at Noon CT).
Register online at www.igniteusacampuses.org/#!regis/c1ndf.
Registration $150 covers all meals and transportation to and from the airport, hotel, and church. If sending a check, send to:
c/o Wesley Bullard
Ignite America PO Box 31
Buchanan, MI 49107
For full details on this conference, please go here.
Pray for the Harvest!
Pray for the Harvest!
"Do you not say, 'Four months more and then the harvest'? I tell you, open your eyes and look at the fields! They are ripe for harvest." (John 4:35)
Every day, in every nation on earth, tens of thousands of men and women are making decisions for Christ. Now, you can monitor this amazing fact online by literally "watching" as these souls are born again into the Kingdom.
Of course, the identities of those who are coming to the Lord are never revealed, but our God knows who they are!
Join us as we monitor these "names" daily, praying over each one to be mentored and to grow in his or her faith . . . even in these perilous times. You may visit either or both of the sites below, to pray for fields that are ripe for harvest.
> > > OPTION ONE: AboutJesus.net
> > > OPTION TWO: The Great Commission Map!
Worship With Us Today!
Worship With Us Today!
IT IS WELL WITH MY SOUL
When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot, Thou has taught me to say,
It is well, it is well, with my soul.