Anne Graham Lotz Prayer Initiative:
Begins on Tuesday, July 7, for 7 days
Ramadan begins tomorrow
Supreme Court Will Announce Hobby Lobby
Decision on Monday
Capitol Hill Prayer Partners
"A National Prayer Alliance"
P.O. Box 5152
Herndon, VA 20172-1970
The Daily Brief:
"Praying for All in Authority"
Friday, June 27, 2014
"Satisfy us in the morning with your unfailing love, that we may sing for joy and be glad all our days." (Psalm 90:14)
The call begins at 8:00 a.m.EDT and will continue through the morning, with many other special guests included. The host of PrayerSurgeNow is Dai Sup Han.
Thank you for praying for the Persecuted Church!
Please visit the website for the International Christian Concern to find ongoing needs for prayer among the persecuted around the world. Thank you.
"And I saw heaven opened, and behold, a white horse . . ." (Rev. 19:1)
The Daily Brief
1. Hobby Lobby Ruling Due to be Announced on Monday - The Becket Fund for Religious Liberty
(From the Becket Fund) "We have been waiting for the Supreme Court's ruling on Hobby Lobby. Today the Court announced that it will release this decision on Monday, June 30th."
- Only the Lord knows how many prayers have been offered up on behalf of Steve Green, owner of Hobby Lobby, and the Hahn family who own Conestoga Woods -- the two plaintiffs in this historic lawsuit. If the Justices have delayed announcing their verdict until Monday, that means they are still working, in their chambers, writing those opinions. We thank our Lord that He is hovering over each Justice, as we continue to intercede. May the presence of God Almighty, whose Supreme Court rules over all, rule and overrule the opinions of man as these decisions are made. We ask this in Jesus' Name, amen.
- "Rise up, O judge of the earth . . ." (Psalm 94:2a)
2. Obama: Boehner lawsuit 'a stunt' - Politico
President Barack Obama is calling House Speaker John Boehner's plan to file a lawsuit against the president a "stunt." "The suit is a stunt, but what I've told Speaker Boehner directly is, 'If you're really concerned about me taking too many executive actions, why don't you try getting something done through Congress?'" Obama told ABC.
- Abba, we ask that our president would learn the value of humility, and what it means to be a public 'servant'. We pray that he would humble himself before You, as we know someday his knee will bow to You. We ask that he would come to know You as his Savior, and his God. Pursue him, and capture his heart, we pray! We ask for wisdom for Mr. Boehner and the House of Representatives, as they consider this legal action, and we pray that You would be their Counsellor, and their Advocate. Amen.
- "Look to Me and be saved, all the ends of the earth! For I Am God, and there is no other. I have sworn by Myself, the word is gone out of My mouth in righteousness and shall not return, that unto Me every knee shall bow, every tongue shall swear [allegiance]. Only in the Lord shall one say, I have righteousness (salvation and victory) and strength [to achieve]. To Him shall all come who were incensed against Him and they shall be ashamed." (Isaiah 45:22-24)
3. All U.S. job growth since 2000 has gone to immigrants -Washington Times
Since 2000, all of the net jobs added by the U.S. economy have gone to immigrants, both legal and illegal, according to a report being released Friday by the Center for Immigration Studies that challenges prevailing wisdom that the country needs an influx of workers.
- Father, we are distressed to see that all the job growth in these last 14 years has not gone to our citizens, but to those who are entering our country, some illegally. We ask that somehow jobs would open up for skilled laborers that our citizenry would be qualified to fill. We know many unemployed have lost hope and have given up the search. We ask You to rekindle that flame of desire to be gainfully employed and provide for their families, and also enjoy the confidence that comes with it. In Yeshua's Name we pray. Amen!
- "Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with your might, for there is no work or device or knowledge or wisdom in the grave, where you are going." (Eccl. 9:10)
4. SEAL Team 6 Member Urges Transgender Acceptance in Military - Newsmax
As Senior Chief Petty Officer Christopher Beck, the now-Kristin Beck earned the Bronze Star medal with combat valor and the Purple Heart as a member of Navy Seal Team 6, but now she says she's fighting new battle: for equal treatment for all in the military.
- Lord, we are mystified as to why our military are actively trying to recruit transgender soldiers, as if they are somehow more qualified than traditional soldiers. We pray that this plan of man will backfire, somehow, and that the "exception" not be elevated above the traditional. We ask, most of all, for Your standards to be the "norm" that we seek. We pray for freedom for those who feel trapped in their sexual identification, and ask that You reveal to them Your plan for them, and may they find their true identity in You! Amen.
- "So God created mankind in His own image, in the image of God He created them; male and female He created them." (Genesis 1:29)
5. U.S. Must Be Global Leader in Promoting Gay Rights - Associated Press
White House national security adviser Susan Rice addressed 200 gay rights advocates saying, "America's support for LGBT rights is not just a national cause but it's also a global enterprise." Vice President Joe Biden told a gathering of gay rights advocates that "protecting gay rights is a defining mark of a civilized nation and must trump national cultures and social traditions," the Associated Press reported.
- Why, Lord?? Why should our nation encourage and promote perversion? Is this not a slap in Your Face?? We, Your people, humble ourselves and pray for Your forgiveness for the sin of our nation, not only doing evil in Your sight, but endeavoring to lead the nations over the same cliff that we are surging toward. We beg Your forgiveness, and we ask that You open the eyes of our understanding collectively, from the president on down through all the inhabitants of this land. How can our vice-president say this is a 'defining mark of a civilized nation'? Forgive him, we pray, and Susan Rice, and all these who are pushing this evil agenda, we pray. Amen.
- "For although they knew God, they neither glorified Him as God nor gave thanks to Him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened. Therefore God gave them over in the sinful desires of their hearts to sexual impurity for the degrading of their bodies with one another." (Romans 1:21,24)
6. Middle East Peace Envoy Martin Indyk Quits - VOA
Martin Indyk, the United States' special envoy overseeing Israeli-Palestinian negotiations, has resigned. The U.S. State Department on Friday confirmed Indyk's resignation, which had been anticipated after peace talks this spring reached a stalemate. Indyk, 62, will return to the Brookings Institution, a Washington-based think tank, where he has been vice president and director of foreign policy.
- Father, we ask that Your choice to replace Mr. Indyk will rise to the top of the pool of candidates for this position. We know that this position is a very serious one affecting all of the Middle East, and especially little Israel. We thank You that You are the God of Abraham, Issac and Jacob, and that Your watchful eye is upon Your people there. May wisdom prevail, and Your unfolding of events, and their timing, be according to Your desire, we pray. Amen.
- "But I trust in You, Lord; I say, 'You are my God.' My times are in your hands; deliver me from the hands of my enemies, from those who pursue me. Let Your face shine on Your servant; save me in Your unfailing love." (Psalm 31:14-16)
7. U.S. 'co-conspirator' in border torture ID'd - WND
Central American children crossing the U.S.-Mexico border are recounting horrible stories of torture and mutilation at the hands of drug dealers extorting their families for cash. Now a U.S. congressman is saying the villains south of the border had help from north of the border and he's outing their "co-conspirator."
Only days after the stunning report from Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas, of threats and torture illegal alien children endure en route to the southern U.S. border, a member of Congress is charging that President Obama, through his statements and actions, is complicit.
Cruz's statement came in a news conference after he, Rep. Michael C. Burgess, R-Texas, and others visited a dorm at Lackland Air Force Base in Texas that serves as a temporary home to some of the tens of thousands of children who have been delivered to the U.S. border, mostly from Central America. (Read more)
- Lord God, we do thank You for members of Congress and the Senate like Senator Ted Cruz and Rep. Michael Burgess who are working diligently to not only address the crisis at the border, but to also discover how and why America is now facing this invasion. We ask that answers would be found, so that this crisis is resolved and that these illegal aliens -- no matter what age -- be returned to where they came from.
We ask this in Jesus' name, amen.
- "Ask, and you shall receive." (Matthew 21:22)
8. Snakes and bees 'flush out' Boko Haram fighters - BBC
Two suspected Boko Haram gunmen captured by local volunteers in Maiduguri, northeastern Nigeria, said they had fled the Sambisa Forest because of "incessant snake bites", the Vanguard newspaper reports.
One of the suspects, Kolo Mustapha, said bees have also been known to join in the attacks, often leaving their victims fatally injured. Some of his fellow-fighters think there is a supernatural aspect to the attacks, fearing that Boko Haram's victims are wreaking vengeance on their killers. Mustapha said he was caught because, like many others, he was trying to sneak back into town "as we have nowhere else to go". "Our leaders have fled to Cameroon," he added, saying they had forced local youths to join the group. (Read more)
- Praise the Lord for His creative strategy to flush out these terrorists! He is Lord!
- "Nothing is too difficult for Him." (Jer. 32:17)
9. El Nino Likely to Trigger Extreme Climate Events - VOA
The World Meteorological Organization says an El Nino is likely in the third quarter of 2014. El Nino is a weather phenomenon characterized by unusually warm ocean surface temperatures in the central and eastern tropical Pacific. The phenomenon, which recurs at two- to seven-year intervals, has a major impact on the climate around the world. It can also lead to extremes including droughts and heavy rainfall across the globe.
- Abba, we come to You asking for mercy in light of this news considering "extreme climate events" expected to come this fall. We know we are in the last days, when events like this will become more the norm than the exception; but we do ask for Your grace and mercy to be upon us. We do repent for the sins of ourselves and our nation, and we ask that "in judgment, You will remember mercy". In Your Name we pray, Amen.
- "Lord, I have heard of Your fame; I stand in awe of Your deeds, Lord. Repeat them in our day, in our time make them known; in wrath remember mercy." (Hab. 3:1)
The Middle East in Focus
The Middle East in Focus
This week, for all the headlines cited below, please join us in proclaiming THIS DECREE:
"If Your Presence does not go with us, do not bring us up from here." (Exodus 33:15)
1. Israel Focuses on PA Payments to Palestinian Prisoners Convicted of Terrorist Acts- Worthy News
Israel's Security Cabinet is investigating ways to discourage the Palestinian Authority from sending stipends to Palestinian prisoners in Israeli jails convicted of terrorism.
2. Operation Brother's Keeper Winding Down Before Ramadan- Worthy News
Israel Defense Forces (IDF) continued Operation Brother's Keeper in search for the three abducted teenagers Wednesday night with the arrest of ten suspected Palestinians.
3. U.S. House Votes to Increase Funding for Israel's Missile Defense- Worthy News
The U.S. House of Representatives approved $351 million for the Iron Dome, and $270 million for the Arrow 3 and David's Sling missile defense systems.
4. Shin Bet reveals identity of two main suspected kidnappers - Jerusalem Post
The Shin Bet (Israel Security Agency) revealed on Thursday the identity of the two chief suspects wanted for involvement in the kidnapping of three Israeli youths earlier this month.
Marwan Quasma, 29, and Amar Abu Eisha, 32, are the kidnappers, the intelligence agency says. Both of them are from Hebron and are longstanding Hamas members. The Shin Bet added that both were wanted as soon as security forces learned of the kidnapping.
"Since then, the Shin Bet and IDF have been carrying out a wide-scale search aimed at capturing the wanted suspects," the security agency stated. "The first aim is to track down the location of the abducted youths." (Read more and see their photos here.)
- Lord God, we will not let up in our prayers until the missing boys are found and their kidnappers brought to justice. We thank You, Lord, that You are a God who answers prayer. In Your Name, amen.
- "Give ear to my words, O Lord, Consider my groaning. Heed the sound of my cry for help, my King and my God, For to You I pray. In the morning, O Lord, You will hear my voice; In the morning I will order my prayer to You and eagerly watch." (Psalm 5:1-3)
5. Netanyahu to Abbas: Break up unity pact with Hamas - Times of Israel
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu urged Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas Thursday to dismantle the Hamas-Fatah unity government at once, after Israel published the names of two Hamas members who are believed to have carried out the kidnapping of three Israeli teenagers in the West Bank two weeks ago.
"A short time after the kidnapping, I said that those who perpetrated this activity were terrorists of Hamas," Netanyahu said at an Israeli Air Force graduation ceremony. "And indeed today the security services of Israel have published the names of two of the perpetrators of this heinous crime."
The prime minister went on to call on Abbas - who, during a recent meeting in Saudi Arabia with foreign ministers from the Muslim world, spoke out against the kidnapping - to bring the reconciliation process with Hamas to a full halt. (Read more)
Focus on Iraq/ISIS
Focus on Iraq/ISIS
For every headline listed in this section, please decree Isaiah 59:19. IT IS WRITTEN:
"When the enemy shall come in like a flood, the Spirit of the LORD shall lift up a standard against him."
1. Iraq's Top Shi'ite Cleric Demands Maliki Replacement by Tuesday - VOA
Pressure continued to build Friday on Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki, with the country's top Shi'ite cleric calling on political groups to agree on a new leader by Tuesday. Iraq's recently-elected parliament is meeting Tuesday to begin the process of forming what many hope will be a more inclusive government that does not marginalize Iraq's Sunni minority. Maliki is losing some Shi'ite allies.
2. Iraq helicopter crashes in airborne commando assault on Tikrit - Reuters
Iraqi forces launched an airborne assault on rebel-held Tikrit on Thursday with commandos flown into a stadium in helicopters, at least one of which crashed after taking fire from insurgents who have seized northern cities.
Witnesses said battles were raging in the city, hometown of former dictator Saddam Hussein, which fell to Sunni Islamist fighters two weeks ago on the third day of a lightning offensive that has given them control of most majority Sunni regions.
3. After Syria bombs Iraq, growing fears of regional conflict - Times of Israel
Syrian warplanes bombed Sunni militants' positions inside Iraq, military officials confirmed Wednesday, deepening the concerns that the extremist insurgency that spans the two neighboring countries could morph into an even wider regional conflict. US Secretary of State John Kerry warned against the threat and said other nations should stay out.
Meanwhile, a new insurgent artillery offensive against Christian villages in the north of Iraq sent thousands of Christians fleeing from their homes, seeking sanctuary in Kurdish-controlled territory, Associated Press reporters who witnessed the scene said.
4. Iraq insurgents seize oilfields, hit air base as U.S. advisers arrive - Reuters
Militants attacked one of Iraq's largest air bases and seized control of several small oilfields on Wednesday as U.S. special forces troops and intelligence analysts arrived to help Iraqi security forces counter a mounting Sunni insurgency.
Iraqi Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki, who is fighting for his job and is under international pressure to create a more inclusive government, said he supported starting the process of forming a new cabinet within a week.
The Daily Jot
Shift or Appeasement?
The Supreme Court unanimously struck down the president's executive appointments made during "pro-forma" sessions of the Senate. The Court said: "The Recess Appointments Clause empowers the President to fill existing vacancy during any recess-intra-session or inter-session-of sufficient length...A Senate recess that is so short that it does not require the consent of the House under that Clause is not long enough to trigger the President's recess-appointment power." The "president" made some appointments during "pro-forma" sessions of the Senate, while technically the Senate was in session. Not one Supreme Court Justice supported the "president."
The decision was significant because Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid collaborated with the "president" to make the Senate appear as if it were in recess so the appointments, which the "president" knew would not be confirmed, would stand. The Senate, however, is technically in session when it is in pro-forma and is not in recess, although it is not conducting business. According to the Supremes, this manipulation of the law is unconstitutional. By narrowing the use of recess appointments, the Supremes actually made it a useful tool for future presidents to use in the future. Nonetheless, it exposes the corrupt manipulation of the law and conspiracy to do so by the Majority Leader of the Senate.
In another attempt to limit tyrannical power of a rogue president, House Speaker John Boehner is going to introduce legislation allowing the House to sue the president regarding overreaching executive orders. Boehner pandered to the re-elect crowd saying, "The Constitution makes it clear that a president's job is to faithfully execute the laws; in my view, the president has not faithfully executed the laws. And when there's conflicts like this between the legislative branch and the administrative branch it's, in my view, our responsibility to stand up for this institution in which we serve." How about standing up for the people? The Constitution makes clear that Congress already has authority to handle abuse of power.
Led by Arizona Republican Jeff Flake and California socialist Democrat Dianne Feinstein, more than 36 senators sent a letter to the "president" demanding he "personally make clear" that illegals will not get special treatment. Additionally, Utah Republican Senator Mike Lee told the National Review that the "president's" Supreme Court defeat is only the "tip of the iceberg." Texas Republican Senator Ted Cruz said this is the 12th unanimous defeat of the "president" in the the Supreme Court since 2012 on increased executive power issues (translated dictatorial). Does this represent a shift back to Constitutional authority or is it election year appeasement to keep Americans in a soft tyranny concentration camp? Jesus said in Matthew 24:4, "Take heed that no man deceives you." Appeasement is tricky. Shift is painful to politicians.
Have a Blessed and Powerful Day!
Good News for Meriam Ibrahim!
Good News for Meriam Ibrahim!
I know many of you have been closely following the plight of Meriam Ibrahim and praying for her and her family, as Carol and I have been. I am pleased to report that her husband, Dani, says Meriam and their family are currently at the U.S. Embassy in Khartoum.
Her case attracted worldwide attention after Sudan's Islamic courts sentenced her to death for being a Christian. Meriam and her toddler son were thrown in jail, where Meriam gave birth to a baby girl.
Her conviction was overturned only after intense international outrage. In recent days, she was released from jail only to be re-arrested hours later. Meriam is just one example of radical Islam's very real war on women and Christians, which our left-wing elites conveniently ignore. (Gary Bauer)
Another Urgent Call to Prayer!
Prayer Alert From Cindy Jacobs:
A Call for United Prayer
A few months ago, the Lord had me issue a warning called "Shields Up" to pray for the protection of our nation. Tonight, while reading my Bible, the following passage leapt off the page:
And He has confirmed His words, which He spoke against us and against our judges who judged us, by bringing upon us a great disaster; for under the whole Heaven such has never been done as what has been done to Jerusalem. (Daniel 9:12)
It does not take a prophet to realize that America is in trouble! We know there are many radical extremists who hate us - this is not new. However, as I read the verse this evening I was shaken by it. This is what I am hearing: "There is an another attack on the scale of 9/11 being planned!"
As I prayed to pinpoint how to intercede, I immediately heard these words: "Close the gates! All borders must be closed to terrorists and those who would aid them." This includes all airport customs checkpoints, as well as border crossings.
We must pray for our customs and border agents to have eagle eyes to "see" any potential persons trying to make their way into the United States. We must also pray for all points of public transport.
The good news is that prayer works! This is a call upon every praying person everywhere to stand in the gap and pray for the protection of the nation.
Thank you for praying!
For the nation,
Don't Give Up, Intercessors!
Prophetic Intercessors, Don't Give Up on the Great Awakening!
A Dream Received by Julie Meyer
Tuesday, June 24, 2014
I was told in the dream to study and look back to the 1700s and the first Great Awakening-for this is our story. We are invited to say "yes" to prayer-we are invited to all become part of the story.
I saw that many intercessors have grown weary and have become dull; therefore help from Heaven was sent to strengthen the heart of the intercessors, the prayer movements, and the houses of prayer that a glorious people would arise in unending prayers. We are in a Revelation 3:1-2 time frame, "I know your works, that you have a name that you are alive, but you are dead. Be watchful, and strengthen the things which remain . . ."
God is inviting us to join His Son, the Great Intercessor, in prayer to birth His purposes on the earth. He is inviting us to be a part of the storyline of the ages. We are to be vigilant, to keep careful watch over His promises and purposes through intercession, to set our hearts towards Him, and to turn resolutely in the direction of agreement with His Heart for these days.
I Had An Impacting Dream
I was in a deep sleep, and the dream started with the president of our Bible college singing an old hymn called, "I Love to Tell the Story." His voice was like a megaphone awakening my heart to the old, old story. I had not heard this hymn in years since singing it as a young girl in the Methodist Church. He was wearing a blue suit and holding an old hymnal. His voice was loud. His voice was strong. He never stopped singing this old hymn throughout the entire dream.
As he was singing, these words and this melody awakened my heart all throughout the dream. It was as if the hymn was the backdrop to the entire dream.
Suddenly, I stepped into a scene where I saw seven ambulances all in a row with their lights flashing. They were lined up one in back of the other. There was great alarm in my spirit when my eyes beheld such a scene.
I noticed there were people on the sidewalk who were not that interested in the ambulances. Everyone was continuing to have their coffee and were talking-they were not looking at what was happening. People were just doing their thing and not bothered by the alarm that I felt in my body by the flashing lights. It was as if they did not even notice they were there. They were laughing and talking and having coffee, going about their day-to-day schedules.
Still the Song Was Arising
I love to tell the story. 'Twill be my theme in glory. To tell the old, old story of Jesus and His love.
I went and looked in the first ambulance and heard the attendant say, "I cannot find a heartbeat," and I saw someone lying still on a gurney. I saw tiny, thin and feeble legs. The attendant looked at me and said, "It's the intercessors. We are trying to revive the intercessors."
I looked in again and it was as if the eyes of my heart were opened. I could see on the inside, and their hearts were failing. For the promises of revival were so long in coming, it was as if the promises became too long to wait for and they were giving up and their hearts were failing. So I ran to the next ambulance and the same thing was happening. I looked in and the attendant said, "I cannot find a heartbeat."
As I peered into the ambulance I noticed that these attendants were not mere human beings; they were heavenly beings sent from the Throne of God. They were tall, they were large, they were glowing as if lit from the inside with fire. Could these be the messengers of fire we find in Psalm 104:4? It gave my heart great hope to know that God has sent His angelic help to restart the hearts of the weary, the tired, the hopeless, and the feeble. These were the intercessors who have fallen asleep, those who have stopped contending because it became too long to contend.
Suddenly, one of the attendants from the seventh ambulance at the end yelled, "I have a faint heartbeat, but it's dull." With those words, all the attendants leaned out of the back doors of the ambulances and they all shouted, "What did you do?"
The attendant in the last ambulance said, "Tell the old, old stories. For, as I began to tell the old, old stories, I found a faint heartbeat." So the attendants of the other ambulances began to tell the old, old stories, and I began to listen to these stories.
Tell the Old Stories!
These stories went back to the 1700s. They began to talk about Count Zinzendorf and the Moravians, John Wesley, George Whitfield and Charles Spurgeon, and many others. (Including the Huguenots at Fort Caroline, Florida, in 1564-1565)
Suddenly the atmosphere was filled with shouts of, "I found a heartbeat, but it is dull." I ran to another ambulance looked in, and this time I saw a faint movement. Suddenly, this heavenly attendant gave an order, like a command, saying:
"Tell the old, old stories because the old, old stories are YOUR storyline, they are YOUR history, back as far as Count Zinzendorf and the Moravians, John Wesley, George Whitfield, Charles Spurgeon . . .
" . . . For the baton was passed from generation to generation. The prayer movements of this day are the answer to the prayers of those in the great storyline of the ages. There is a timeline of prayer generals from generations past and their prayer was that the generals of prayer in 'these' days would arise; the prayer movement of 'these' days is the answer to their cries.
"You are in the storyline of the old, old story for their prayers begat your prayer. Put yourself in the timeline of the old, old story because the old, old, story-when told-will ignite the heart again.
"Though it will start as a dull beat, when EACH person will see themselves in the timeline of the old, old story, that dull heartbeat will begin to get stronger and stronger. For these are your ancestors-the prayer warriors of the ancient days-who lifted their cry for 'this day and this hour' that a people of prayer would arise in the earth to welcome back the King of kings."
Renewal in itself will not awaken dull hearts. But if you see yourself in the old, old story-the more you listen and put yourself in the history of the great storyline of prayer and revival-you will see yourself as the answer.
You are the continuation of their prayers. For the intercessors God is raising up today-the prayer movements in the earth today-are the answer to the prayers lifted up generations and generations ago taking us into the greatest awakening-the Great Greater Awakening.
These are your ancestors. You become the story, the plan, the answer, the revival for today-then you will never go back to dull hearts. . . .
> > > To read this dream in its entirety, please go here. We trust that each one of you will be as encouraged and strengthened as we were, as you meditate upon the TRUTH of this dream. To see the lyrics to "I Love to Tell the Story", and to hear its melody, please see our worship section today. God bless you all.
Julie Meyer has been worship leader and songwriter at the International House of Prayer in Kansas City since its beginning in 1999. She is a prophetic singer who carries the glory and the presence of God as an abandoned worshiper. Her passion is His presence as she trumpets the message of the Bridegroom preparing His Bride!
The Good News Corner
The Good News Corner:
'Huge' Supreme Court ruling 'boggles the mind'
And conservatives are hoping this brand-new decision is a sign of things to come . . .
[Editor's note: this is the same wonderful news we were blessed to report to you on yesterday's Brief. WorldNetDaily gives much more detail about this ruling and its effect upon the nation below and here.]
Pro-life activists are celebrating a Supreme Court victory, as the justices unanimously struck down a Massachusetts law requiring a buffer zone around abortion clinics.
On Thursday, in the case of McCullen v. Coakley, the court voted 9-0 to strike down the Massachusetts requirement of a 35-foot buffer zone surrounding abortion clinics. Eleanor McCullen sued the state over the law, claiming the buffer zone gave her and other peaceful pro-life activists little opportunity to have conversations with women coming to the clinics. An appeals court previously sided with the state, which claimed the zone was necessary to protect the health and lives of patients and medical personnel.
Writing for the court, Chief Justice John Roberts said the state could come up with less restrictive ways to preserve free speech for activists while allowing others unobstructed access to the clinic. Justice Antonin Scalia wrote a concurring opinion criticizing Roberts for not going further and accusing the court of granting far more leniency to pro-choice groups than to pro-life activists.
While the decision could have been even stronger from a pro-life perspective, activists are still thrilled with the decision.
"This is huge. What this Massachusetts law intended was a 'heckler's veto.' That's essentially saying that if people don't like the speech that they're hearing from other people or others' freedom of expression, that if they just yell out enough and enough people don't like it then the heckler can veto free speech. The Supreme Court said, 'No, that is not the case,'" said WND columnist and Liberty Counsel Action Vice President Matt Barber, who is also founder of BarbWire.com.
Despite some conservatives hoping for a stronger ruling, Barber said the fact this was unanimous is a big deal.
"This was a surprisingly unanimous decision and speaks well for the protection of innocent human life as well as both freedom of speech and freedom of religious expression in the United States," he said.
Many activists and court observers also expected the Supreme Court to hand down a decision on the constitutionality of the Department of Health and Human Services, or HHS, mandate that all employers cover the cost of birth control and abortafacient drugs for their employees. The Christian owners of Hobby Lobby and the Mennonite leaders of Conestoga Wood Specialties are challenging the mandate on the grounds it would violate their freedom of religious expression due to their opposition to abortion.
The court announced its final decisions of the session will come Monday morning, and that ruling is likely to be issued. While Barber has no illusions of a unanimous ruling on that case, he hopes Thursday's buffer-zone ruling is a sign of things to come on the debate over the HHS mandate.
"The fact that even the most liberal justices on the bench ruled that this buffer-zone law violated free speech is an indication to me that hopefully, and you can never predict what (Justice) Anthony Kennedy is going to do, but if I'm reading here, it gives me hope," he said. "He has shown, in the past, a sensitivity toward the importance of freedom of speech and freedom of religious expression on the First Amendment. I'm hoping that it will tip the scales and he will vote affirmatively that the HHS mandate violates the First Amendment."
Signs and Wonders
Signs and Wonders:
GIGANTIC SPRITES OVER THE USA
Lesser known is what comes out of the top: sprites. "Lately there has been a bumper crop of sprites," reports Thomas Ashcraft, a longtime observer of the phenomenon. "Here is one of the largest' 'jellyfish' sprites I have captured in the last four years." The cluster shot up from western Oklahoma on June 23, so large that it was visible from Ashcraft's observatory in New Mexico 289 miles away. (Spaceweather.com) Read more. [Third article down . . .]
"And there will be signs in the sun, in the moon, and in the stars; and on the earth distress of nations, with perplexity, the sea and the waves roaring; men's hearts failing them from fear and the expectation of those things which are coming on the earth, for the powers of the heavens will be shaken. Then they will see the Son of Man coming in a cloud with power and great glory. Now when these things begin to happen, look up and lift up your heads, because your redemption draws near."
Worship With Us Today!
Worship With Us Today!
"I Love To Tell The Story"
Text: Katherine Hankey, 1834-1911
Music: William G. Fischer, 1835-1912
I love to tell the story of unseen things above,
Of Jesus and His glory, of Jesus and His love.
I love to tell the story, because I know 'tis true;
It satisfies my longings as nothing else can do.
I love to tell the story, 'twill be my theme in glory,
To tell the old, old story of Jesus and His love.
I love to tell the story; more wonderful it seems
Than all the golden fancies of all our golden dreams.
I love to tell the story, it did so much for me;
And that is just the reason I tell it now to thee.
I love to tell the story, 'twill be my theme in glory,
To tell the old, old story of Jesus and His love.
I love to tell the story; 'tis pleasant to repeat
What seems, each time I tell it, more wonderfully sweet.
I love to tell the story, for some have never heard
The message of salvation from God's own holy Word.
I love to tell the story, 'twill be my theme in glory,
To tell the old, old story of Jesus and His love.
I love to tell the story, for those who know it best
Seem hungering and thirsting to hear it like the rest.
And when, in scenes of glory, I sing the new, new song,
'Twill be the old, old story that I have loved so long.
> > > To listen to this hymn, please go here.
> > > To learn more about this hymn,please go here.