Capitol Hill Prayer Partners
"A National Prayer Alliance"
P.O. Box 5152
Herndon, VA 20172-1970
The Daily Brief
"Praying for All in Authority"
Friday, February 14, 2014
"And we have known and believed the love that God hath to us. God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God; and God in him. (I John 4:16)
Please visit the website for the International Christian Concern to find ongoing needs for prayer among the persecuted around the world. Thank you.
The Daily Brief
1. Snow Totals Piling Up Fast; 130 Year Old Record Falls - CBS News
The onslaught on Wintry Weather continues this morning. Snow is piling up fast across the Delaware Valley as our monster Nor'easter climbs up the Eastern seaboard.The last of a wave of snowstorms is expected to pass through the eastern United States Friday and Saturday, after the biggest snowfall yet in an exceptionally harsh winter. The latest snowstorms were predicted as millions of people struggled to dig out of heavy snow that blanketed the eastern third of the country. A million people in the South were in the dark after ice coated trees and snapped power lines. At least 18 deaths have been attributed to the storm.
- Father, You are the Creator of heaven and earth, Your power is limitless, and the greatness of Your creation humbles us! With all our technology and various resources, we cannot begin to match Your control of the weather. Lord, we ask that You would intervene on behalf of the many folks who are without power to warm their homes, and those who have been injured in the many car accidents that have occurred, as a result of these storms. We pray peace and comfort to those families who have lost loved ones in the aftermath. We ask for moderation of the snow and ice, and ask that no flooding results in the thawing phase of this storm. Amen.
- "Show me favor, God, show me favor; for in You I have taken refuge. Yes, I will find refuge in the shadow of Your wings until the storms have passed. I call to God, the Most, High, to God, Who is accomplishing His purpose for me." (Psalm 57:2,3)
2. Congress Raises US Debt Limit - VOA
The U.S. Congress has raised the nation's borrowing limit and averted a potential debt default that would have triggered devastating financial consequences. Senate approval came one day after the House of Representatives passed the measure - and less than two weeks before the federal government would have been unable to pay all its bills.
Another fiscal showdown has ended, with Republican lawmakers once again dropping demands for concessions in return for keeping the U.S. government funded and solvent. Republicans had contemplated pressing for changes in President Barack Obama's health care law, as well as approval of a controversial oil pipeline from Canada. (Read more)
- Lord, we thank You that another crisis has been pushed back for another year, although we are disappointed that, once again, the Republicans have "caved" to Obama's demands. We truly value our Constitutional rights to debate and discuss our differences and peacefully come to an agreement. We ask for wisdom for our Congress, that this intimidation stop, and that they would actually do what is best for our Country, and not their political aspirations. Amen.
- "I beg you, brothers and sisters, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ that all of you agree with each other and not be split into groups, I beg that you be completely joined together by having the same kind of thinking and the same purpose." (I Corinthians 1:10)
3. Obamacare woes pit Democrats against Democrats in liberal states - Washington Times
The Obamacare rollout has gone so badly in some liberal-leaning states that it has turned into an issue in Democratic primaries, where incumbents are under attack for botching the enrollment period that began in October. Some of those states were eager, early cheerleaders for the Affordable Care Act, making their failures all the more stark. (Read more)
- Abba, we are disgusted with the "lust for power" that dominates our nation's Capitol, seemingly blinding our lawmakers to be able to think of anything other than seeking and retaining that power, even at the expense of the good of the Country and the voters. We come against these spirits of lust, both political and non-political. We pray that You would bring humility to those who need to be humbled, and courage to those who need to be encouraged. Humble the arrogant, we pray, and lift up the humble. Amen.
- "Before being ruined, a person's heart is proud; before being honored, a person must be humble." (Proverbs 18:12)
4. Vulnerable Dems want IRS to step up - World Net Daily
Senate Democrats facing tough elections this year want the Internal Revenue Service to play a more aggressive role in regulating outside groups expected to spend millions of dollars on their races. In the wake of the IRS targeting scandal, the Democrats are publicly prodding the agency instead of lobbying them directly.
- Abba, this is so sad, and shows the desperation of those who wish to retain power in the Senate, to the point of misusing their power, and being very open about it. We pray for sanity to return to these Senators. May they be caught in their own web of deceit, we pray, Amen.
- "The nations have fallen into the pit they have dug; their feet are caught in the net they have hidden. The Lord is known by His acts of justice; the wicked are ensnared by the work of their hands." (Psalm 9:15,16)
5. GOP senators unveil bill to allow states to reject gay-marriage rights - Washington Examiner; FRC
Two of the highest profile conservatives on Capitol Hill jointly introduced legislation Thursday that would bar the federal government from forcing states to accept same-sex marriages granted in other states. U.S. Senator Ted Cruz (R-Texas) and U.S. Senator Mike Lee (R-Utah) have introduced the Senate companion of the "State Marriage Defense Act of 2014" and urged members of the U.S. Senate to support it.
- Abba, this nation was founded on Your principles taught in Your Word. Recently, we have seen various individual states where the voters have overwhelmingly voted to ban, or not recognize same-sex marriage, and then liberal judges strike those laws down, stating they are "unconstitutional". Of course, our forefathers could not have anticipated the desire for same-sex couples..so it is certainly not in the Constitution to provide for that. We ask, Lord, for wisdom for these Senators, who are seeking to uphold the will of the people, and not allow judges to legislate from the bench. We ask for mercy upon our nation, and we ask that You would defend and prosper those who adhere to Your laws. Amen.
- "From everything living, from each kind of living being, you are to bring two into the ark, to keep them alive with you; they are to be male and female. Of each kind of bird, each kind of livestock, and each kind of animal creeping on the ground, two are to come to you, male and female, so that they can be kept alive." (Genesis 6:19)
6. Republicans Hesitate on Immigration Reform - VOA
Earlier this year the prospects for immigration reform seemed bright. Republican congressional leaders, especially House Speaker John Boehner, shifted their tone and indicated a willingness to find common ground with President Barack Obama and Democrats on legalizing the status of millions who had entered the country unlawfully.
But the backlash was swift. When it came time to float the idea to the conservative Republican conference in the House of Representatives, the air was squeezed out of the balloon quicker than a giggling five-year old. When Speaker Boehner ran into conservative opposition within his own conference, he shifted the blame to President Obama, arguing that Republicans don't trust him to enforce current immigration laws. (Read more)
- Father, we do want an Immigration Reform bill that will be very fair, and will lead to a path toward citizenship legally, which many immigrants would like to pursue. We ask that there not be just a blanket amnesty for all, without consideration of the circumstances that brought these people here. We do not want to ignore all criminal activity, and thereby sanction lawlessness, but we do want to encourage those who wish to become citizens and accept responsibility that comes with citizenship. Amen.
- "All these people kept on trusting until they died, without receiving what had been promised. They had only seen it and welcome it from a distance, which acknowledging that they were aliens and temporary residents on the earth. For people who speak this way make it clear that they are looking for a fatherland." (Hebrews 11:13,14)
7. Obama taunts 'scared' Republicans - World Net Daily
President Obama told House Democrats Friday that comprehensive immigration reform remains a top priority for this year in spite of Republican lawmakers who are "scared" of the political consequences. "They're worried and they're scared about the political blowback," Mr. Obama said of the GOP. "We can all appreciate the maneuverings that take place, particularly in an election year." (Read more)
- Lord, we ask that arrogance in this administration would be bound and brought low. We pray for our president, that You would give him a heart of flesh, and that You would enable him to see himself as You see him. We pray that he would bow to You, and You alone, and humble himself in Your presence, and call upon Your Name, and receive You as his Savior and Lord. In Yeshua's Name we pray, Amen.
- "Humble yourselves before the Lord, and He will lift you up. Brothers and sisters, do not slander one another. Anyone who speaks against a brother or sister or judges them speaks against the law and judges it. When you judge the law, you are not keeping it, but sitting in judgment on it."
The Middle East in Focus
The Middle East in Focus
This week, for all the headlines cited below, please join us in proclaiming THIS DECREE:
When Yahweh your God brings you into the land that you are entering to take possession of it, and clears away many nations before you, the Hittites, the Girgashites, the Amorites, the Canaanites, the Perizzites, the Hivites, and the Jebusites, seven nations more numerous and mightier than you, and when Yahweh your God gives them over to you, and you defeat them, then you must devote them to complete destruction. You shall make no covenant with them and show no mercy to them." . . . "And you shall consume all the peoples that Yahweh your God will give over to you. Your eye shall not pity them, neither shall you serve their gods, for that would be a snare to you." (Deuteronomy 7:1-2, 16)
1. Hamas manufacturing missiles to hit Tel Aviv, Jerusalem - ICEJ News
The Times of Israel reported this week that the Islamist terror militia Hamas, which rules the Gaza Strip, has massively re-armed following the November 2012 Operation Pillar of Defense war and now has the ability to launch dozens of long-range heavy rockets on Tel Aviv and Jerusalem in a future conflict.
2. Fallout continues from Schulz Knesset speech - ICEJ News
Israel and the EU (GRAPHIC) Fallout continued on Thursday from Wednesday's Knesset address by European Parliament President Martin Schulz, with many Israeli officials including Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu lamenting its tone and content while Schulz insisted that his speech was supportive of the Jewish State.
3. American Jewish leaders urge Netanyahu to follow Kerry plan - ICEJ News
Netanyahu and Kerry (Israel GPO (Photograph) Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu received a letter on Wednesday from over 150 prominent Jewish leaders in the US urging him to go along with US Secretary of State John Kerry's plans for a diplomatic settlement with the Palestinians. Kerry's "effort offers an unprecedented opportunity to ensure Israel's security, to enhance its prosperity, and to avoid the existential threat to the Jewish state posed by bi-nationalism.
The Daily Jot
The Prophetic police state
America always has been known for its freedom. Americans always have been known for their love of freedom. Why? Because until the latter part of the 20th Century we have been considered a Christian nation and proud of it. A principle of Christianity is freedom in Christ. As Galatians 5:1 says, "Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ has made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage." Liberty--freedom from sin and death through eternal life--is a transferring ideal to present physical life and it is contagious. We know from reading the prophets and Revelation that satan and the anti-Christ are the antithesis of freedom. In the dark shadows of prophetic reality, America's tyranny awaits.
We have seen the liberals, under the guise of freedom, and the conservatives, under the guise of security, take away our freedoms, seemingly systematically. I have heard all the misguided Christian arguments about how we should be heavenly minded and that we answer to another form of government and therefore should not be concerned with this one. But I am here to tell you in no uncertain terms that nations are important to God. And people comprise nations. And what we do here on earth has a bearing on how we live out eternity. If you are willing to put your bets on the idea that where you live, how you live, the people around you, how you are governed doesn't matter to God, you are greatly mistaken.
Verses over and over again tell us to occupy till he returns; to overcome evil with good; to let your light shine; to obey God rather than men; to stand against the wiles of the devil; to speak boldly; to let no man deceive you; that the law is good if a man uses it lawfully--really the exhortations go on and on about why it is important for us to be engaged with our family, our friends, our community, our country. Our involvement has eternal importance in ways that most of us probably do not quite understand. When God has given us a nation based on freedom of speech and religion, we are to protect, cherish, and use it to the full advantage of Christian charity and evangelization--locally and internationally.
The window is closing. Examples in today's news: Homeland Security is establishing a national license plate recognition system. The American Gestapo will be able to pick you off the street if you don't tow the government line. Democrats are openly asking the IRS to target their opposition from campaign ads against them. Combined with all the other stories, we are entering into an unnecessary prophetic storm where America is leading the way toward the anti-Christ rather than preparing hearts for the Lord. I am a firm believer that man cannot stop the march of prophecy, but I believe we can determine our place in it. We have got to reconcile our heavenly mindedness with the practicality of what the Lord wants of our lives as we live them. Our time is short. The day is at hand.
Have a Blessed and Powerful Day!
Obama's Record on Religious Liberty
President Obama and International Religious Liberty
President Obama shocked policy experts who know his record when he delivered a speech on international religious liberty at the National Prayer Breakfast last Thursday. The president's record on religious liberty, at home and abroad, is dismal. A recent Pew study shows religious oppression on the rise and Christians as the world's most oppressed religious group. Something good came from the President's speech however, when he called for North Korea to release American missionary Kenneth Bae and Iran to release American Pastor Saeed Abedini (sentenced to 8 years in prison for sharing his Christian faith). The same day Rep. Chris Smith's (R-N.J.) held hearings in the House Foreign Affairs Subcommittee on Human Rights, which he chairs. The hearing further revealed the dichotomy between the President's rhetoric and the facts.
- May God correct an administration that has failed to defend religious liberty. May the State Department agency tasked to be the religious liberty watchdog be staffed, activated, and empowered to do its job. May the President act to end the oppression of Christians, worldwide.
- "Let not the oppressed return dishonored; Let the afflicted and needy praise Your name. Arise, O God, and plead Your own cause; Remember [ab]how the foolish man reproaches You all day long. Do not forget the voice of Your adversaries, The uproar of those who rise against You which ascends continually." (Psalm 74:21-23)
(Source: FRC Prayer Targets)
IRS Abuse Continues
IRS Abuse Continues
Here's the latest example of the left's growing intolerance. According to several press reports, vulnerable Democrat senators up for reelection this year are pressuring the Obama IRS to go after non-profit charities and social welfare organizations. At issue are draconian rules proposed by the IRS that would severely restrict, if not completely shut down, voter educational activities by these organizations. The tax agency is attempting to repeal decades of established law and tradition by regulation. When asked whether she supported the proposed crackdown, Senator Jeanne Shaheen (D-NH) said, "Absolutely." Senator Mark Pryor said, "That whole 501(c)(3), 501(c)(4) [issue], those are IRS numbers. It is inherently an internal revenue matter."
The United States of America has a long tradition of respect for free speech, especially political speech. These rules are the latest assault by the Obama Administration in its relentless attempt to fundamentally transform America by silencing its critics. The shamelessness is breathtaking! Keep in mind, friends, that this is taking place in the aftermath of the IRS/Tea Party scandal.
Obama and his Democrat defenders insist there isn't a "smidgen of corruption" involved. But let's not forget that the initial explanation -- rogue agents in Cincinnati -- turned out to be a lie. If there was no corruption involved, why on earth would a top IRS official in Washington, D.C., plead the fifth and refuse to testify before Congress about her role and whatever she knew about the government's targeting of conservative groups and Christian ministries like the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association?
I don't care what side of the aisle you are on, using the brute force of big government to squelch political speech is unacceptable. Abuse of the IRS was one of the major offenses that turned the public against Richard Nixon. House Republicans are fighting back. Tuesday, the GOP-led House Ways and Means Committee passed legislation on a party-line vote to prevent the IRS from imposing these new anti-free speech regulations. But the legislation is unlikely to get a vote in Harry Reid's Senate, just one more reason why we must not fail to take the Senate this November. The Obama Administration and its Democrat cronies evidently think they can do whatever they want. If they don't pay a price at the ballot box this November, I shudder to think what might happen next. (Gary Bauer)
Please pray for . . .
Please pray for . . .
Rev. Franklin Graham
Rev. Franklin Graham is under fire for his article, Ducking the Issue. He defends Duck Dynasty's Phil Robertson, calls sin, sin, calls Christians to repent, and challenges us to be salt and light to impact our culture. Pray for Dr. Billy Graham, now 95, and for Franklin (CEO, both of BGEA and Samaritans Purse). May God use this family, and with them pastors and Christian leaders from across America, to turn our nation back to God! May their critics find the Christ they preach! (Pierre Bynum: Family Research Council)
Bob Jones Is With the Lord
Mike Bickle, Bill Johnson Join Spiritual Leaders in Honoring the Late Prophet Bob Jones
Bob Jones has gone home to be with the Lord after more than four decades of prophetic ministry. Spiritual leaders from various camps in the body of Christ are mourning his loss and praying for his family. Here are a few of the early reactions to Jones' passing:
"I am deeply indebted to Bob Jones for how the Lord used him in my early ministry. I loved him more than he ever knew and often told my friends stories about him," says Mike Bickle, director of International House of Prayer in Kansas City. "I am very sad for Bonnie and his son, Wayne, and for so many of us to hear of his departure, but I am so happy for him. I remember Bob as a man who loved people deeply and served them tirelessly for so many years. Bob was well-known for his remarkable love for Jesus and His Word-he devoured the Bible for 40 years."
"Bob passed away at 6:22 this morning, peacefully and smiling," says Rick Joyner, founder and executive director of MorningStar Ministries. "Bob was known around the world for his prophetic gift, but he was also the greatest lover of God and people that I ever knew. It seems fitting that he would pass on a day that celebrates love."
"Our wonderful friend and prophet Bob Jones went home to be with Jesus today, his first love, on Valentines a Day," tweeted Bill Johnson, founder of Bethel Church.
'Bob Jones said, 'I don't see anything prophetically after 94'. So either Jesus is returning then or I'm going home then.' Rest in Peace Bob," tweeted Robby Dawkins of Vineyard Church of Aurora, Ill.
"Just heard that the prophetic voice of Bob Jones is for heavens ears only. That man prophesied to me in my 20's that I would sing," tweeted singer Rita Springer.
"Just heard that Bob Jones passed into glory today. He was a grandfather prophet to me, the movement and many. He will be missed," said Matt Lockett, director of Bound4LIFE.
Jones is survived by his wife, Bonnie.
Click here to read more about the life and legacy of Bob Jones.
(Source: Charisma Magazine) Read more.
The Good News Corner
The Good News Corner:
Through Sickness and Loss, Olympic Gold Medalist Scott Hamilton Praises Jesus
"When I look back and see those little moments in my life when I needed a great deal of strength I understand that through a strong relationship with Jesus, you can do anything. I just learned the only true disability in life is a bad attitude. God is there to guide you through the tough spots. I was there every single time. My name is Scott Hamilton and I am second."
I am Second testimonial clips never fail to grab you by the spirit and Scott Hamilton's gut-wrenching one filmed recently is no exception.
The Olympic Gold Medalist shares an amazing story of not only overcoming a debilitating childhood disease that motivated him to find a career as an ice skater, but also two different forms of cancer, one which returned years after he thought he had beaten it.
Throughout his testimony, Hamilton exudes faith and humility, always pointing to God as his loving Father; his solace and his strength. With a Believing wife supporting him every step of the way, he explains how together, they prayed for miracles and received them.
Although there is a moment near the end of the video where Hamilton chokes up talking about he and his wife's desire to have another child, the majority of the interview features an incredibly upbeat, joyous Hamilton-arguably the greatest testimony of all. Clearly, he possesses the "peace that passes understanding." (IAMSecond.com) Read more here.
Thank you, Mr. Hamilton, for sharing your story with the world.
Also reported by: Breaking Christian News
Signs and Wonders
Signs and Wonders:
Sinkhole swallows pricey Corvettes at hallowed museum
(CNN) -- Sinkholes are swallowing Corvettes now. Last year it was houses in Florida, and on Wednesday nature gobbled up some of the coolest and fastest cars to come off the assembly line.
Eight valuable 'vettes at Bowling Green, Kentucky's National Corvette Museum fell victim to a 40-foot-wide, 20-foot-deep sinkhole that opened up in the facility's yellow Sky Dome wing. The museum unofficially estimates it caused millions of dollars in damage.
Motion detectors alerted security that something was amiss shortly after 5:30 a.m., said museum spokeswoman Katie Frassinelli. An employee who first walked into the room "has been in shock all day," she said.
she said. "When you go in there, it's unreal," said Frassinelli. "The hole is so big, it makes the Corvettes look like little Matchbox cars."
The news triggered a collective worldwide gasp from the Corvette Nation.
"I was shocked," said Frazer Bharucha, 47, a Corvette owner since age 17. "We're talking about iconic cars that have been around for years." (Read more)
"And there will be signs in the sun, in the moon, and in the stars; and on the earth distress of nations, with perplexity, the sea and the waves roaring; men's hearts failing them from fear and the expectation of those things which are coming on the earth, for the powers of the heavens will be shaken. Then they will see the Son of Man coming in a cloud with power and great glory. Now when these things begin to happen, look up and lift up your heads, because your redemption draws near."
Worship With Us Today!
Worship With Us Today!
"Singing Over Me" - Kari Jobe
Your songs have never stopped
You've been singing, always singing over me
Your words are still enough
And You're singing, always singing over me