Capitol Hill Prayer Partners
P.O. Box 5152
Herndon, VA 20172-1970
The Daily Brief Wednesday, September 19, 2012
Sing to God, sing praises to His name, cast up a highway for Him Who rides through the deserts-His name is the Lord-be in high spirits and glory before Him! (Psalm 68:4)
Join us tonight for ONE MINUTE OF PRAYER at 9:00 p.m. EDT (adjusted for your own time zone). Let's all cry out to God together for our nation! Amen!
To learn more, go here.
To explore the many opportunities that are now available to all of us during the 40 DAYS and 40 NIGHTS of prayer, leading up to Election Day, please see our two-part series, "Praying for our Nation," by going here.
The Daily Brief
1. Dead Heat: Obama 47% Romney 46% - Gallup
Latest Gallup Poll places Romney and Obama in a dead heat.
- Lord we know that the Gallup organization is a credible source; we also know that You alone direct the affairs of nations in response to the prayers of Your Body. The platforms of the DNC and RNC for 2012 could not be more dramatically different: the intentions and priorities of the candidates are very clear!. We ask for Your divine intervention in America - to open the eyes and hearts of American voters, in Jesus' name, so that America will overwhelmingly vote in conjunction with Your purposes and according to Your Word!
- "Trust in Him at all times, you people; pour out your heart before Him; God is a Refuge for us! " (Psalm 62:8)
2. Pennsylvania justices set voter ID law review - Washington Times
Pennsylvania's highest court on Tuesday told a lower court that it should stop a tough new voter photo identification law from taking effect in this year's presidential election if the judge concludes voters cannot easily get ID cards or thinks they will be disenfranchised.
- Lord we thank You for the privilege of living in a nation whose citizens may vote! We bind any hindrance to the ability of legal voters to place their ballots on election day. We bind voter fraud of every sort, asking that it will be exposed and prevented! We pray especially that Your Body will unanimously use this great privilege to impact our nation. We pray with thanksgiving Lord, in Jesus' name, amen!
- "Ponder the paths of your feet, and let all your ways be established." (Proverbs 4:26)
3. Drought of 2012 conjures up Dust Bowl memories, raises questions for tomorrow - CNN
Over 63% of the contiguous United States in early September was suffering moderate to exceptional drought, nearly twice the land affected a year ago, according to the U.S. Drought Monitor. Using July data, the National Climatic Data Center reported that America is in the midst of its most expansive drought since December 1956.The combination of dry conditions and extreme heat -- including hundreds of record-breaking temperatures this summer -- has been unbearable for many. The drought's impact has been seen in ways big and small, from leaves falling early and lawns turning brown to farmers giving up and lakes drying up, exposing hundreds of dead fish.
While consumers may be worried about rising food prices tied to the drought, many farmers have seen their incomes all but evaporate because crops won't grow -- finding even irrigated farmlands cannot pump in enough moisture, given the rate it evaporates back into the atmosphere in high heat.
- Heavenly Father, we pray for our farmers and ranchers who are suffering so desperately, and ask that they seek Your face, and find help in their time of need. We confess the great sin of our nation to You, which has caused this terrible drought, and humbly ask Your forgiveness. May America turn from its sinful ways and seek You in obedience, for then You will send the rain and bless the food supply. We pray in Jesus' name.
- "All nations would say, 'Why has the Lord done so to this land? What does the heat of this great anger mean?' Then the people would say: 'Because they have forsaken the covenant of the Lord God of their fathers..' " (Deuteronomy 29:24,25a)
4. Even after winning asylum in US, Iranian Christian convert lives in fear
- Fox News
An Iranian man recently granted asylum in the U.S. after converting from Islam to Christianity told FoxNews.com he still fears the long arm of the rogue regime in Tehran."I feel if I reveal that I converted to Christianity, the Muslims here may retaliate against me," the man, who is in his early thirties, said in an exclusive interview. "In many verses in the Koran, Muslims are told to kill, behead, cut fingers, or severely arrest and tie the kafirs," or nonbelievers.
Had he returned to his homeland, the man would have almost certainly faced imprisonment and possibly death, said Tiffany Barrans, international legal director for the ACLJ. "Asylum cases based on religious persecution are very common in the United States, and those converts from Islam who seek asylum here are greatly increasing as persecution of converts in the Muslim world is on the rise."
- Father we thank You for this individual's salvation and pray for multitudes of Muslims to find faith, peace, joy and salvation in a relationship with Jesus Christ. We ask that You supernaturally protect them from their clear and present danger, and use America as a refuge for the saints, in Jesus' name.
- "He delivered me from my strong enemy, from those who hated me, for they were too strong for me. They confronted me in the day of my calamity, but the Lord was my support. He also brought me out into a broad place. He delivered me, because He delighted in me." (Psalm 18: 17-19)
5. Anti-Islam film protesters lathicharged near US consulate in Chennai - NDTV/Worthy News
Chennai, INDIA: Some vehicles were set on fire and police resorted to lathicharge on Tuesday to disperse a large number of people belonging to more than 20 Muslim organisations who had gathered to protest against an American movie which allegedly denigrated Islam. (Editors' note: "lathicharge" is a legal term used in India) Read more
- Lord it seems inconceivable that the media actually continues to credit all this violence to an 11 minute trailer on you-tube that came out six months ago. There is no movie! Shockingly, our own President and Secretary of State have rebuked America for this lawful use of freedom of speech. We bind this reprehensible violence in Jesus' name, and pray for leaders that honor You and stand up in strong defense of our nation. Amen!
- " Arise, O Lord, do not let man prevail; let the nations be judged in Your sight. Put them in fear, O Lord, that the nations may know themselves to be but men."(Psalm 9: 19,20)
[Note: Violence has now erupted in a total of 41 nations!]
6. NATO suspends joint patrols with Afghan forces - Reuters/The Examiner
NATO has suspended joint ground operations with the Afghan police and army after a surge in what have been described as insider attacks on NATO troops, 51 of whom have been killed in such attacks this year. "We see this as a temporary and prudent response to current threat levels," said Col. Tom Collins, a senior spokesman for NATO-led forces in the country. Read more.
- Lord, we thank You for the wisdom being shown by the leaders of NATO, in response to these killings. May they seek Your guidance for all future plans for NATO's engagement in Afghanistan. In Your Name, we ask, amen.
- "If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer." (Matthew 21:22)
The Middle East in Focus
The Middle East in Focus
This week, for all the headlines cited below, please join us in proclaiming THIS DECREE:
Blessed is he who has the God of Jacob for his help, whose help is in YHWH his God, who made the heavens and earth, the sea and all that is in it; who keeps truth forever;" (Psalms 146:5-6)
1. 24/7; 365; 8200; or, inside the IDF's top-secret mountaintop spy unit - Israel Hayom
For the first time, the IDF has allowed the outpost to be exposed in the media, giving a rare glimpse into the mysterious and secretive lives of the soldiers perched at the highest altitude in Israel, at 2,224 meters (7,300 feet) above sea level. They are glued to their headsets 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, and they listen to anything that moves, or doesn't move, in Syria.
2. Fearing a third intifada, the IDF's elite undercover unit steps up its training - Times of Israel
Fearful that the current fragile calm in the West Bank could give way to a return to Palestinian violence, an elite Israeli undercover unit is carrying out nightly missions into Palestinian territory and training for the possible outbreak of a third intifada.
3. Israeli leader closely involves himself in US race - San Diego Tribune
Sometimes it seems as if Republican presidential contender Mitt Romney has two running mates. There's Wisconsin Rep. Paul Ryan to help him out on budgets, deficits and other domestic matters. And then there's Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on foreign policy.
The Daily Jot
Islamic vs Christian Eschatology Part 2, Who is Jesus?
Islam believes in "Jesus, the Son of Mary." In fact, there is an entire chapter of the Qur'an devoted to Mary. The Islamic name for Jesus is Isa, but the Qur'an interchanges the names in various verses. There are three main concepts that Muslims are taught about Jesus. First, Jesus is the Son of Mary, but not the son of Allah. Second, Jesus never died on the cross, but was delivered from his death by Allah and Jesus ascended to heaven in similar fashion as did Elijah. Third, Jesus will return in the "Last Days" to proclaim Islam as the one true religion; require conversion to Islam or death; and he will live out his life on earth, marry, have children and die as a human on earth. But the story has even more twists---
The Qur'an in Sura 4:171 says, "Allah is only one Allah; far be It from His glory that He should have a son, whatever is in the heavens and whatever is in the earth is His, and Allah is sufficient for a Protector." Sura 17:11 says, "Praise be to God who has never begotten a son; who has no partner in His kingdom." There are many other verses in the Qur'an that deny Allah had a son. The Bible, however, says in 1 John 2:20"...no lie has its origin in the truth. Who is a liar at all, if not the person who denies that Yeshua is the Messiah? Such a person is an anti-Messiah--he is denying the Father and the Son. Everyone who denies the Son is also without the Father, but the person who acknowledges the Son has the Father as well..."
The Qur'an's account of Mary is very similar to that of the Bible's with subtle, but significant differences. "She (Mary/Marium) said: "O my Lord! How shall I have a son when no man hath touched me?" He said: "Even so: Allah createth what He willeth: When He hath decreed a plan, He but saith to it, 'Be,' and it is!" And He will teach him the Scripture and wisdom, and the Torah and the Gospel, And He will teach him the Book and the wisdom and the Tavrat (Muslim Torah) and the Injeel (Muslim Gospel) (Sura 3:047-48)." As we review the inerrant and infallible word of YHVH, we find that the not so subtle difference in Yeshua being the son of YHVH, not the creation of Allah.
Luke 1:30-35, "The angel (Gabriel) said to her, "Don't be afraid Miryam, for you have found favor with God. Look! You will become pregnant, you will give birth to a son, and you are to name him Yeshua. He will be great, he will be called Son of Ha 'Elyon. Adonai, YHVH, will give him the throne of his forefather David; and he will rule the House of Ya'akov forever--there will be no end to his Kingdom." "How can this be," asked Miryam of the angel, "since I am a virgin?" The angel answered her, "The Ruach HaKodesh will come over you, the power of Ha'Elyon will cover you. Therefore the holy child born to you will be called the Son of YHVH." In the next Jot we will explore Islam's account of the Crucifixion and the Return of Jesus.
Have a Blessed and Powerful Day!
On the Campaign Trail
On the Campaign Trail:
48 Days to Election Day
"Redistribution" vs. "Victims":
Dueling Videos Shake Up White House Race
newly released audio recording purports to feature a young Barack Obama saying he believes in government "redistribution" -- a comment that Mitt Romney quickly seized on to claim his opponent thinks "the government should take from some to give to the others."
The tape, posted on YouTube, was a throwback to the web video that emerged in 2008 showing Obama telling "Joe the Plumber" he wants to "spread the wealth around."
. . . Romney, for his part, has endured a wave of criticism from Democrats over a video showing him speaking at a private fundraiser back in May. In the video, Romney could be heard saying the 47 percent of people who don't pay federal income tax "believe they are victims" and will support Obama "no matter what."
Romney defended his comments in the interview with Fox News on Tuesday -- and then cited the Obama recording to underscore his point that he and the president come at the job with two entirely different philosophies.
"Frankly, we have two very different views about America," Romney said. "The president's view is one of a larger government. There's a tape that just came out today (with) the president saying he likes redistribution. I disagree.
(Fox News) Read more.
DOMA Appeal Pending
Both sides gear up in Defense of Marriage appeal
The Defense of Marriage Act is set for a showdown in a federal appeals court later this month between those who say it is right for the government to speak of marriage only in heterosexual terms and those who say doing so discriminates against same-sex unions. The law was passed by Congress and signed by President Bill Clinton after the Hawaii Supreme Court issued a ruling in 1993 making it appear Hawaii might legalize gay marriage. Since then, many states have banned gay marriage, while eight states and the District of Columbia have approved it, led by Massachusetts in 2004 and continuing with Connecticut, New York, Iowa, New Hampshire, Vermont, Maryland and Washington state. Maryland and Washington's laws aren't yet in effect and might be subject to referendums.
In February 2011, President Obama and Attorney General Eric H. Holder Jr. instructed the Department of Justice to no longer defend the Defense of Marriage Act.
In arguments submitted to the 2nd Circuit last month, former attorneys general Edwin Meese III and John Ashcroft called that decision "unprecedented in our nation's history," because it did not involve separation of powers concerns. "The administration's change of position marks an unprecedented and ill-advised departure from over two centuries of Executive Branch practice," they wrote. "Historically, the president's constitutional obligation to 'take care that the laws be faithfully executed' has been understood to include the vigorous defense of acts of Congress when they are challenged in court."
They added that the switch in position "fails to afford due respect to Congress and threatens to undermine the proper functioning of the judicial process." (Washington Times) Read more.
- Thank You for our founding Father's wisdom to build a balance of power into our laws in order to prevent Dictatorship. In Jesus' name we pray against the unlawful usurping of powers not Constitutionally or traditionally granted to the Executive branch of our government. May these actions be openly called to account, and checked. May the issue of marriage always be defined in our nation as it is in Your Word. We bind every attempt to promote homosexuality as if it is healthy, normal or legal, in Jesus' name.
- " Do not envy the oppressor, and choose none of his ways; for the perverse person is an abomination to the Lord." (Proverbs 3:31,32)
Family Fined for Hosting Bible Study
Family Faces Fines for Hosting Bible Study
A Florida family is facing fines for hosting a weekly Bible study in their home -- an act that city officials argue violates zoning codes. Shane and Marlen Roessiger, of Venice, Fla. are facing a $250 per day fine for hosting Friday night prayer and Bible study gatherings that are attended by as many as 10 people.
"It is difficult to understand how it is illegal to have a prayer meeting on Friday night with a half dozen people but it is alright if I invited the same group on Monday evening to watch Monday night Football," Roessiger said. The Roessigers are also facing a fine for putting a small sign in their front yard that reads: "Need Prayer (941) 484-4915."
"It's a weekly Bible study," said Brad Dacus, president of the Pacific Justice Institute. "It's the same kind of Bible study that occurs in households across America."
- Dear Jesus, we lift up this disturbing trend of some authorities to single out law abiding Christians for retribution and fines, and ask that You protect and bless every Christian using their own home to serve You. Pour out your Holy Spirit on this Bible study, so many souls come to Christ. Anoint those who defend them in this conflict with superior wisdom and knowledge of the law, in Jesus' name.
- "Show Your marvelous loving kindness by Your right hand, O You who save those who trust in You from those who rise up against them." (Psalm 17: 7)
WIN Prayer Alert
WIN PRAYER ALERT
Issued by Beverly Pegues, WIN Prayer Network
"A View of the Violence in the Middle East"
SUMMARY: An incendiary film, Innocence of Muslims, has unleashed violence in many countries in the 10/40 Window. The violence so far has claimed the lives of Ambassador Chris Stevens, a high ranking American diplomat and many others. There is heightened tension in the region with protestors carrying semi automatic weapons and petrol bombs.
This utter lack of responsibility from the filmmaker and the crazed crowd has resulted in the loss of lives. The lives of peacemakers like Ambassador Stevens and three other embassy workers along with the lives of Libyan security personnel were needlessly lost. The lives of those caught in the crossfire were exchanged for conniving grandstanding and uncontrollable wrath.
Another cause for considerable concern is the plight of the Christian population in the region. There already exists religious tension among Muslims, Christians and Coptic Christians. They are targets of sporadic acts of violence and Christians fear for their safety in the wake of the film trailer and the ensuing protests that have turned violent.
There is indeed much to be learned from this demonically charged incident. It is a lesson in maturity and responsibility we should all strive for because the actions of the one do affect the many. And the actions of the many affect the nations of the world.
Much prayer is needed.
[ Please note: This is an excerpt of Beverly's article. To receive the entire text, you can contact the WIN network at: firstname.lastname@example.org)
- God's peace would wash over these troubled nations. (The Bible, Philippians 4:7)
- For the protection of Christians throughout the region. (The Bible, Psalm 34:7)
- For the safety of the innocent, nationals and expatriates in the region. (The Bible, Psalm 91:1,11)
- For healing and restoration. (The Bible, 2 Chronicles 7:14)
- God's comfort for those whose loved ones were needlessly murdered. (The Bible, Genesis 4:10)
- God frees those who are held captive to deception and delusions of Islam. (The Bible, 2 Corinthians 10:4)
- God opens the hearts and minds of the people in the region to hear His Word and accept Jesus Christ as their Savior and Lord. (The Bible, Matthew 13:23)
- For a sense of maturity and responsibility in each one of us. (The Bible, Hebrews 6:1)
- Muslims are healed and delivered from the spirit of offense. Pray they learn to forgive those who have failed or offended them. (The Bible, Matthew 6:16, 11:6)
- These freedom fighters will receive a revelation of the democracy they fought to achieve for their nations.
CAIR and Moslem Violence
Violence Shows It's America That Needs to Change
Anti-American violence throughout the Muslim world, ostensibly over a cheap Internet film denigrating the Muslim prophet Muhammad, may be misguided, but it's a result of "the lack of dignity, the lack of respect that they're being shown." And it's up to America to change policies to calm things.
That's the message a Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) official brought to a television interview Sunday.
And that's not the worst thing about Cyrus McGoldrick's comments.
McGoldrick's interview was on Press TV, an Iranian government-controlled English-language news outlet. He never condemned the violence outright, saying "We're very sensitive to the loss of life" and "people's lives are always to be mourned." The angry mobs show "no real understanding of nuance" because the American government neither financed the film nor had anything to do with its distribution.
Few protestors likely even saw the video, said McGoldrick, civil rights director for CAIR's New York chapter. "And I don't think it's about the film at all, really, I think that people are tired. People have had enough of what is seen by them, what looks to them like America's war on Islam. And this is one of the symptoms of that."
That "war on Islam" narrative is acknowledged to be among the most effective messages in radicalizing Muslims. Even the White House acknowledges this. In the past week, a federal judge sentenced a 29-year-old to 30 years in prison after he plotted to detonate a suicide bomb inside the United States Capitol and arrested an 18-year-old in Chicago who thought he was detonating a car bomb outside a bar.
Both Amine El-Khalifi and Adel Daoud thought America was waging war on Islam. (The Investigative Project on Terrorism) Read more.
The Good News Corner
Victory for Nurses Who Won't Assist in Abortions
The American Center for Law and Justice steps in to advocate for a group of pro-life nurses in large West Coast hospital.
(Washington, D.C.)-The American Center for Law and Justice (ACLJ) has helped prevent a group of pro-life nurses at a large un-named West Coast hospital from being penalized for not assisting in abortions.
The actual report on ACLJ's website reads: Imagine you are a nurse. Imagine you have undergone extensive education and training and have chosen to specialize in assisting laboring women to safely deliver their babies. Now imagine that you arrive at work one day only to be informed that if you are not willing to participate in procedures that end the lives of those babies, you will no longer be permitted to work in your chosen field of labor and delivery. One group of nurses at a large West Coast hospital didn't have to imagine this scenario-they lived it.
When these nurses first contacted us, their hospital's Labor & Delivery Unit had recently been placed under the direction of a staunchly pro-abortion doctor, and they were facing the choice of either agreeing to participate in abortions against their moral and religious objections or being permanently transferred out of Labor & Delivery. Never mind the fact that until that time the nurses and their non-objecting colleagues had always worked together and managed the schedule in a way that ensured all patients received proper care, without the objecting nurses having to assist with abortions. No, the hospital was insistent: its Labor & Delivery Unit-you know, the part of the hospital dedicated to serving mothers and their babies-was no place for nurses who believe in the sanctity of human life. If the hospital had its way, pregnant patients who value life would no longer have access to health care personnel who shared their views and values.
Because the nurses were given just a few short weeks to make their decision, we immediately contacted the hospital to inform its administration that its new policy of discrimination was in direct violation of both state and federal laws protecting these nurses' rights of conscience. We made clear our intention to file a lawsuit if necessary, and, in light of the seriousness of the situation, we enlisted the help of several members of Congress. Rather than correct the problem, for the last several months the hospital has repeatedly tried to find a way to remove these nurses from Labor & Delivery yet avoid the consequences of its discrimination, most recently implementing a scheduling policy that effectively penalized the objecting nurses by requiring them to rotate to a different hospital unit, while rewarding non-objecting nurses by removing them from this rotation and allowing them to work solely in Labor & Delivery. The hospital's blatant disregard for the nurses' rights left us with no choice but to prepare to take formal legal action.
We are pleased to report, however, that we received word last week that the hospital has had a change of heart and has agreed to return to its previous scheduling policy. Those Labor & Delivery nurses who have refused to participate in the culture of death that pervades our society will be able to continue to do what they love-and were actually trained for-without being punished for their stand for life. Imagine that.
(Source: Staff - American Center for Law and Justice)
Reported by: Breaking Christian News
Worship With Us Today!
Worship With Us Today!
"You Never Let Go"
by Southside Baptist Church
Oh no, You never let go
Through the calm and through the storm
Oh no, You never let go
In every high and every low
Oh no, You never let go
Lord, You never let go of me