Capitol Hill Prayer Partners
P.O. Box 5152
Herndon, VA 20172-1970
The Daily Brief Thursday, January 31, 2013
"The LORD will protect you from all evil;
He will keep your soul." (Psalm 121:7)
Guidelines for today's American Prayer Initiative can be found by going here.
Today's Daily Jot can be found by going to: www.dailyjot.com or by using
The Daily Brief
1. Syria, Iran threaten retaliation against Israel over airstrike- Fox News
Syria and its ally Iran are threatening to retaliate against Israel for an airstrike carried out within Syrian borders. U.S. officials said Israel launched the airstrike inside Syria on Wednesday, targeting a convoy believed to be carrying anti-aircraft weapons bound for Hezbollah, the powerful Lebanese militant group allied with Syria and Iran.
- Lord, once again we come before You to ask for protection for Israel. We pray that every plan against them be dispelled, and every wicked action be blocked.
- "Hide me from the secret counsel of the wicked." [Psalm 64:2a]
2. Week of unrest weakens Egypt's Islamist leader, may be forced to change ways - Fox News
Egypt's Islamist president has been significantly weakened by a week of violent protests across much of the country, with his popularity eroding, the powerful military implicitly criticizing him and some of his ultraconservative Islamist backers distancing themselves from him.
- Lord, we thank You that these rebellions bring truth to what has been months of dictatorial actions by this new "president." We ask that Your Word go forth into the nation of Egypt and bring life in the place of destruction.
- "His truth shall be your shield and buckler." [Psalm 91:4b]
3. New al Qaeda threat - Washington Times
A jihadist website posted a new threat by al Qaeda this week that promises to conduct "shocking" attacks on the United States and the West.
- Father, we once again pray according to Your Word, that no weapon formed against us shall prosper. We stand before You washed only in the Blood of the Lamb, believing that You will cover us with the power of Your Holy Spirit against the enemy.
- "O, let the wickedness of the wicked come to an end, but establish the just" [Psalm 7:9a]
4. Report details security concerns, 'mutiny' at U.S. Embassy in Kabul- Fox News
A private security company hired by the State Department to protect American diplomats at arguably the most at-risk U.S. embassy in the world provided shoddy security, failed to adequately train its employees and fired staff who raised concerns about unchecked practices and procedures, according to a new report.
- Lord, thank You that this deadly situation has been revealed. We pray for Your protection over US embassies around the world.
- "God is a refuge for us." [Psalm 62:8c]
5. Defense budget cuts hit businesses, localities - USA Today
The end of two wars and federal budget pressures point to smaller defense budgets ahead -- forcing adjustments for companies and localities reliant on that money leading to a million lost jobs.
- Father, this is another example of our legislators doing things in a hap hazard manner rather than planning ahead for the consequences. We pray for Your mercy over our nation and its communities and companies.
- "Happy is the man who finds wisdom, and the man who gains understanding." [Proverbs 3:13]
6. Tornadoes rip central, southeast U.S., at least two dead - Reuters
Tornadoes ripped through four states on Tuesday night and Wednesday, killing at least two people, as an Arctic cold front clashed with warm air to produce severe weather over a wide swath of the nation.
- Lord, we call on Your Name for comfort for the families impacted by this severe weather. We continually repent for the actions of our nation, and trust in You for mercy over us!
- "Behold, the eye of the Lord is on those who fear Him, on those who hope in His mercy" (Psalm 33:18)
The Middle East in Focus
The Middle East in Focus
This week, for all the headlines cited below, please join us in proclaiming THIS DECREE:
"We give thanks to You, O God, we give thanks, For Your name is near;
Men declare Your wondrous works." (Psalm 75:1)
1. Syria: Israel attacked military research center - Ynet News
Israeli warplanes attacked a military research center in Damascus province at dawn on Wednesday, Syria's military command said, denying reports that the planes had struck a convoy carrying weapons from Syria to Lebanon.
2. Benjamin Netanyahu 'says Israel strike on Iran would have limited effect' - UK Telegraph
Israel's prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu believes an Israeli strike on Iran's nuclear facilities could cause "significant damage" but only a US attack could halt their operations, a newspaper said on Wednesday.
3. Officials to AP: Israel hit SA-17 missiles shipment - Ynet News
Israel conducted an airstrike inside Syria overnight near the border with Lebanon, hitting a convoy of trucks, US and regional officials said Wednesday.
4. Israeli Jets Blast Arms Shipment Inside Syria - Wall Street Journal
Israel bombed a suspected shipment of antiaircraft missiles in Syria on Wednesday, according to regional and U.S. officials, in its most ambitious strike inside its neighbor's territory in nearly two chaotic years of civil war there.
5. 2 Iron Dome batteries deployed in north Israel - Ynet News
Two Iron Dome batteries have been deployed in northern Israel over the past few days, the IDF said on Sunday. One battery of the missile-defense system was deployed in the Krayot area, while the other was installed in the Galilee region.
6. Number of Israelis updating gas masks nearly triples - Ynet News
The defense establishment's concerns about the potential threat of chemical weapons from Syria and Hezbollah has not gone unnoticed by the Israeli public.
The Persecuted Church
Today's Focus: The Persecuted Church
"Answer me when I call, O God of my righteousness! You have relieved me in my distress; Be gracious to me and hear my prayer." (Psalm 4:1)
1. Punjab: Christian Sentenced To Death For Blasphemy Acquitted On Appeal- Persecution.org
After Rimsha Masih, the community celebrates the release of Barkat Masih, after 18 months in prison. He had been indicted on false charges, for having fulfilled his job. The joy of human rights activists and associations: another "important precedent". Pakistani priest: it is time to review the laws and prevent abuse.
Barkat Masih, 56 (pictured), was born to a Hindu family but converted to Christianity. A native of the city of Bahawalpur in Punjab province, he was involved (although innocent) in a case of blasphemy on October 1, 2011, and was sentence in the first instance to the death penalty.
Local sources said that the man, a security guard by profession, git caught up in a workers dispute, who wanted to illegally occupy a portion of land. He prevented them from entering an office, where property documents were stored. At his refusal, two Muslim workers - Muhammad Saleem and Muhammad Shoaib - insulted and threatened him, and promised to "make him pay."
2. Thousands of Christians Gather in Vietnam to Pray for Religious Freedom - Persecution.org
Ho Chi Minh City (AsiaNews) - Thousands of Vietnamese, Catholics and non-Catholics, attended a Mass celebrated by Redemptorist priests in Saigon. Totalling some 2,000 people, they prayed together for peace and freedom of religion in their country. The latter was recently violated with the demolition of a Carmelite monastery in Hanoi and the imprisonment of a number of bloggers and activists. The mother of a young woman arrested for criticising "Chinese expansionism" spoke at the service. Meanwhile, the Vietnam Committee on Human Rights complained about the internment of another blogger and activist in a mental institution in the capital.
In an official press statement, the Redemptorists in Ho Chi Minh City (ex Saigon) said that they would continue "to work for peace and justice in Vietnam." With this purpose in mind, they plan to celebrate a special Mass on the last Sunday of each month, as well as undertake other initiatives, which they "will present in coming days," the press release said.
3. Congressional Briefing Focuses on Waning Religious Freedom in Former Soviet Union - Persecution.org
USA (MNN) ― Religious freedom is waning in Eurasia and the Former Soviet Union. You've heard the stories. Churches liquidated, fathers arrested for holding a prayer meeting, pastors arrested for not registering the church, and families restricted to owning just one Bible.
As a result of these alarming trends, Russian Ministries--in cooperation with its global partners listed below and the Office of Congressman Joe Pitts (R-Pennsylvania)--is sponsoring a briefing on religious freedom issues in Eurasia/Former Soviet Union, with a focus on causes of suppression of religious freedom.
President of Russian Ministries Sergey Rakhuba says, "This briefing is to create more awareness and to mobilize the global community so that policies are developed and pressure is created on governments in the countries of the Former Soviet Union to give more freedom to the churches and leaders there."
For more news about the Persecuted Church, and how you can be more involved in intercession for these precious saints, go here.
Pray for the Harvest!
Pray for the Harvest!
"Do you not say, 'Four months more and then the harvest'? I tell you, open your eyes and look at the fields! They are ripe for harvest." (John 4:35)
Every day, in every nation on earth, tens of thousands of men and women are making decisions for Christ. Now, you can monitor this amazing fact online by literally "watching" as these souls are born again into the Kingdom.
Of course, the identities of those who are coming to the Lord are never revealed, but our God knows who they are!
Join us as we monitor these "names" daily, praying over each one to be mentored and to grow in his or her faith . . . even in these perilous times. You may visit either or both of the sites below, to pray for fields that are ripe for harvest.
> > > OPTION ONE: AboutJesus.net
> > > OPTION TWO: The Great Commission Map!
Worship With Us Today!
Worship With Us Today!
Come To Jesus
Weak and wounded sinner
Lost and left to die
O, raise your head for Love is passing by