Capitol Hill Prayer Partners
"Partners in Prayer for Our Nation"
P.O. Box 5152
Herndon, VA 20172-1970
The Daily Brief Tuesday, August 7, 2012
"At the acceptable time I listened to you, and on the day of salvation
I helped you." (2 Corinthians 6:2)
The Daily Brief
1. Saudi invites Iran for extraordinary Muslim summit - AFP
Saudi King Abdullah invited Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad for an extraordinary summit of Muslim leaders to be held this month in the holy city of Mecca, state news agency SPA reported Sunday.
- Lord, we pray for this summit of Muslim leaders. We pray that in their seeking they would come to know the true God; the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Help them know and repent of the ignorance of false religion. Bring into their path proclamations of truth about the Lord. Give them revelation of Jesus, and who He really is. In the name of Jesus, our Savior, we pray. Amen.
- Truly, these times of ignorance God overlooked, but now commands all men everywhere to repent, because He has appointed a day on which He will judge the world in righteousness by the Man who He has ordained. He has given assurance of this to all by raising Him from the dead. (Acts 17:30-32)
2. New intelligence reveals Iranian military nuclear program advancing faster than previously thought - Ha'aretz
New intelligence information obtained by Israel and four Western countries indicates that Iran has made greater progress on developing components for its nuclear weapons program than the West had previously realized, according to Western diplomats and Israeli officials who are closely involved in efforts to prevent Iran from building a nuclear bomb.
- Lord, we ask that intelligence or spy information be accurate, and that officials be guided in making right decisions. Show them how to search out the land and information. May they have eyes to see. In the name of Jesus we pray. Amen.
- to spy out the land and search it. They said to them, "Go, search the land." (Judges 18:3)
3. Syrian prime minister defects, flees to Jordan - USA Today
Syria's prime minister defected and fled to neighboring Jordan, a Jordanian official and a rebel spokesman said Monday, evidence that the cracks in President Bashar's Assad's regime have reached the highest echelons of government.
- Lord, we pray for those who have defected. We pray they may receive true freedom in You. We continue to pray for Syria and the people of that country, that they may come to know truth, freedom and peace in You. In the name of Jesus, the Prince of Peace, we pray. Amen.
- Happy is he who has the God of Jacob for his help, whose hope is in the Lord his God, who made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that is in them; Who keeps truth forever, who executes justice for the oppressed, who gives food to the hungry, the Lord gives freedom to the prisoners. (Psalm 146:5-7)
4. Joint Staffs General Calls for Cut in Nuclear Reserve - NewsMax
Air Force Chief of Staff Gen. Norton Schwartz has called for the nation's reserve of nuclear weapons to be reduced, citing its size and expense to maintain.
- Lord, we lift this call by Gen. Schwartz to You. We pray for leaders to have wisdom in making the right decisions, and that enough money for defense will be provided. In the name of Jesus we pray. Amen.
- For wisdom is a defense as money is a defense, But the excellence of knowledge is that wisdom gives life to those who have it. (Ecclesiastes 7:12)
5. James Holmes' Psychiatrist Contacted University Police Weeks Before Movie-Theater Shooting - ABC News
The psychiatrist who treated suspected movie-theater shooter James Holmes made contact with a University of Colorado police officer to express concerns about her patient's behavior several weeks before Holmes' alleged rampage, sources told ABC News.
- Lord, we pray for more discernment and wisdom from You, so that people with dangerous behavior can be identified and helped. In the name of Jesus we pray. Amen.
- And a wise man's heart discerns both time and judgement. (Ecclesiastes 8:5)
The Middle East in Focus
The Middle East in Focus
This week, for all the headlines cited below, please join us in proclaiming THIS DECREE:
"The grass withers, the flower fades; but the Word of our God shall stand forever." (Isaiah 40:8)
1. Hamas, Egypt Brotherhood say Israelis behind Sinai attack - Jerusalem Post
The Muslim Brotherhood and Hamas each blamed Israel Monday for orchestrating a terrorist attack in Egypt's Sinai Peninsula which killed 16 Egyptian soldiers and wounded seven a day earlier. The accusations prompted a swift dismissal from Israel, which was also targeted in the attack.
2. Terrorists were more than a kilometer inside Israel, speeding toward kibbutz, when army blew up thei - Times of Israel
The terrorists who smashed into Israel at the Kerem Shalom border crossing on Sunday night managed to drive about a mile into Israel, and were traveling at 70 kilometers an hour along the road toward Kibbutz Kerem Shalom, before the Israeli Air Force was able to get a clear shot and blow up their armored vehicle without risk to civilian traffic on the road or nearby.
3. Official: Hezbollah attack more dangerous than Iran missiles - Ynet News
The continuous debate over a possible attack on Iran's nuclear facilities has sparked further discussion about the major security threats Israel currently faces.
4. Israel eyes Russian naval movement near Tartus Port - Jerusalem Post
Israel is closely tracking Russian naval movements in the Mediterranean Sea amid reports that several ships are heading to Syria to secure the Tartus Port and possibly military assets Moscow maintains in the country.
From Joel Rosenberg
SYRIAN IMPLOSION: 20,000 DEAD; NOW ASSAD REGIME PRIME MINISTER DEFECTS TO JORDAN
(Washington, D.C., August 6, 2012) -- I'm finishing writing my new novel, The Damascus Countdown, this week, but set aside fiction for a moment -- the painful truth is that Syria is imploding. The bloodthirsty regime of Bashar al-Assad is slaughtering its own people, and steadily losing control of the country.
The latest reports indicate that more than 20,000 Syrians have been murdered. Top Syrian officials are defecting. The rebels are steadily winning control of more and more of the country. Iran is sending forces to fight on behalf of the Assad regime against the rebels. Now Russian President Vladimir Putin is reportedly sending naval warships and Russian marines to Syria as a show of support for Assad, though it's not clear how far the Kremlin is willing to go to defend the dictator of Damascus. But the rebels are no friends of freedom. Should they topple the Assad regime and seize control, we could see a repeat of the Egyptian revolution last year where Radical Islamic jihadists end up gaining control of the country.
Looming over the entire catastrophe are Bible prophecies that Damascus will be judged and utterly destroyed in the last days. Please be praying for the Syrian people to renounce Islam and give their lives to Jesus Christ before it's too late. Please pray for the persecuted Christians in Syrian that the Lord will give them courage and boldness to preach the Gospel, teach the Word of God, and care for those who are wounded, scared and desperate.
Here are the key developments in recent days.... [To read the rest of this column, including a brief analysis of the chaos in Syria and prayer requests for Israel and her neighbors -- and/or to read excerpts from IMPLOSION, and/or to find links to the latest news and analysis of events and trends in the U.S., Israel, Russia, and the Middle East -- please go to:
On the Campaign Trail
KEY SWING STATES IN THE CROSSHAIRS
Buoyed by Gov. Scott Walker's recall win and galvanized by national discontent with Obama's policies, the Badger State could well land in GOP hands in November.
Who wins this November will hinge on electoral outcomes in just seven swing states: Pennsylvania, Ohio, Florida, Wisconsin, Colorado, North Carolina, and Virginia. As go those seven, experts say, so goes the nation.
Wisconsin State Governor Scott Walker's solid win in the June recall election dealt a blow to organized labor, demoralized Democrats, and raised Mitt Romney's hopes of carrying this traditionally blue state in November. But experts question whether it will be enough to help Romney grab the Badger State's 10 electoral delegates.
"The connection between the recall election and the November general election is tenuous," said Barry Burden, a political science professor at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. "The presidential race is about a different pair of candidates and a larger set of issues, so the relationship between the two is not especially strong."
- Pray that the Lord will give wisdom to those seeking His understanding of the issues at stake in this most important election.
- "If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him." (James 1:5)
(Source: Intercessors for America)
Bill Koenig Reports --
Report from the White House Press Room:
The Iranian Threat to Israel
To view today's Report from the White House Press Room, go here.
You can keep up with all of Bill Koenig's reports by visiting his website at: www.watch.org
(The American Israel Public Affairs Committee)
A note from AIPAC:
AIPAC and our grassroots activists (pro-Israel Americans from the Jewish, Christian, African American, and Latino communities) have achieved great successes in the past two weeks! Despite a partisan- and enormously pressured Congress- Democrats, Independents, and Republicans UNITED to pass legislation which promotes the safety and security of Israel. By making the US-Israel relationship a priority, Congress and the Administration have enacted new IRAN sanctions and enhanced American and Israeli security. The initiatives listed below represent extraordinary achievements in a short amount time. Keep up the good work.
1. U.S.-Israel Enhanced Security Cooperation Act of 2012 (S. 2165) signed into law by President Obama on July 27, reaffirms America's unshakeable commitment to Israel's security and to providing Israel the means to defend itself by itself. The bill also seeks to enhance Israel's qualitative military edge (QME) and strengthen U.S.-Israel strategic cooperation in such fields as missile defense, homeland security, energy, intelligence and cyber-security. The measure originally passed the House on May 9 by an overwhelming vote of 411-2. In July, both the House and Senate voted for final passage by voice vote.
2. The Iran Threat Reduction and Syria Human Rights Act of 2012, when coupled with existing sanctions legislation, represent the strongest set of sanctions to isolate any country during peacetime. This past week, the measure received unanimous approval in the Senate and passed in the House, 421-6. Passing soon after the U.S.-Israel Enhanced Security Cooperation Act, the measure became the second piece of major pro-Israel legislation approved by Congress in recent weeks.
3. Bipartisan letter to the President: House Foreign Affairs Committee Chairman Ileana Ros-Lehtinen (R-FL) and Ranking Member Howard Berman (D-CA) launched a bipartisan letter urging the administration to impose sanctions on the entities that continue to do business with NIOC and NITC, Iran's key entities for overseeing the development and shipment of oil. By Thursday, August 2, on short notice, over 200 members of Congress signed the letter.
4. President Obama blacklisted Iraq's Elaf Islamic Bank and China's Bank of Kunlun, marking the first time the United States has sanctioned a Chinese bank for its dealings with Iran.
- Father God, we give You praise that this Congress has stood solidly with Israel this year. We call forth Your blessing upon each and every member of the House and the Senate -- the blessing of the knowledge of Yeshua -- as they have blessed Israel. Thank You, Lord. Amen.
- "I will bless those who bless you, and whoever curses you I will curse; and all peoples on earth will be blessed through you." (Gen. 12:3)
The Good News Corner
The Good News Corner:
FDA APPROVES DRUG TO PREVENT HIV
The Food and Drug Administration on Monday approved the first drug shown to reduce the risk of HIV infection, the latest milestone in the 30-year battle against the virus that causes AIDS. The agency approved Gilead Sciences' pill Truvada as a preventive measure for healthy people who are at high risk of acquiring HIV through sexual activity, such as those who have HIV-infected partners.
The decision comes less than two weeks after the agency approved another landmark product: the first over-the-counter HIV test that Americans can use in the privacy of their homes.
The two developments are seen as the biggest steps in years toward curbing the spread of HIV in the U.S., which has held steady at about 50,000 new infections per year for the last 15 years. An estimated 1.2 million Americans have HIV, which develops into AIDS unless treated with antiviral drugs. Public health advocates said Monday that Truvada represents a major breakthrough, both as a medical therapy and as a means of expanding other preventive measures.
According to the Washington Post, the challenge will be to get the $11,000-per-year drug to the groups in the U.S. who are at the highest risk for HIV. (ABC News & Washington Post) Read more.
- Give thanks for this preventative measure for those who may acquire HIV. Pray that this breakthrough would provide medical therapy for those who need it, and ask the Lord to grant wisdom to physicians and researchers as they explore further measures. Pray that the spread of HIV would be curbed, and for health and healing to accompany responsible, righteous behavior.
- "Behold, I will bring it health and healing; I will heal them and reveal to them the abundance of peace and truth." (Jer. 33:6)
(Source: Intercessors for America)
Worship with Us Today!
Worship with Us Today!
"Maranatha Singers, Praise 19"
You can worship our Lord for a whole hour long with this beautiful praise video!