Capitol Hill Prayer Partners
"Partners in Prayer for Our Nation"
P.O. Box 5152
Herndon, VA 20172-1970
The Daily Brief Friday, August 24, 2012
"Therefore, my dear brothers, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain" (1 Corinthians 15:58)
The Daily Brief
1. U.S. sends aircraft carrier back to Gulf to face Iran, Syria - Reuters
The U.S. Navy is cutting short home leave for the crew of one of its aircraft carriers and sending them back to the Middle East next week to counter any threat from Iran, according to the official Navy News Service. Defense Secretary Leon Panetta told sailors aboard the USS Stennis in their home port of Seattle on Wednesday they were needed back in the Middle East soon, after approving calls from the U.S. Central Command for Stennis to return to the region.
- Abba, we look to You for Your wisdom and protection of our military, as the USS Stennis returns to the Gulf near Syria. Father, we thank You that "our times are in Your hands", and You know the end from the beginning. There is, in a sense, a spiritual hurricane amid the nations in the Middle East. As the nations war within themselves, we ask for peace in the midst of the storm. Give our Defense Dept - and all U.S. involvement - Your mind and strategies, from the "Commander-in-Chief" all the way down to the individual members of our military. We thank You for being our Supreme Commander-in-Chief, and rest in You in the midst of chaos. Amen.
- "When they heard it, they raised their voices to God with singleness of heart. 'Master,' they prayed, 'You made heaven, earth, the sea and everything in them. By the Ruach HaKodesh, through the mouth of our father David, your servant, you said, 'Why did the nations rage, and the peoples devise useless plans? The kings of the earth took their stand; and the rulers assembled together against Adonai and against His Messiah.'" (Acts 4:24-26)
2. Florida Prepares for Isaac - Weather
As Isaac continues to churn in the Caribbean, Florida officials are urging residents to prepare now.
- Abba, we find it interesting to see the timing and trajection of this storm, named Isaac, as it appears to be heading toward Tampa, where the Republican Convention is about to be convened this coming Monday. We ask that You protect your people, and that You give wisdom to those officials who need to make decisions about the Convention. You are the Creator of the Universe, and You direct the winds and the rain. In judgment, remember mercy, O Lord. Amen.
- "Praise the Lord from the earth, you large sea animals and all the oceans, lightning and hail, snow and mist, and stormy winds that obey him." (Psalm 148:7,8)
3. Obama's Budget to Add $4.4 Trillion to Debt in Next Four Years - Weekly Standard
By the end of this year, the federal debt is expected to be $16.2 trillion, which is $6.2 trillion more than when President Obama first came into office four years ago. Moreover, new analysis by the Republican side of the Senate Budget Committee finds that, over the next 4 years, if Barack Obama remains president and his budget is enacted, $4.4 trillion will be added to the federal debt.
(b) Republicans Eye Return to Gold Standard - Financial Times
The gold standard has returned to mainstream U.S. politics for the first time in 30 years, with a "gold commission" set to become part of official Republican party policy.
(c) Wall Street falls as Fed doubts knock equities - Reuters
Stocks fell on Thursday as expectations for quick stimulus action from the Federal Reserve faded and Chinese and euro zone data pointed to a stalling global economy.
- Father, we are amazed that so many Americans are unaware of these figures, and the state of our economy. We ask that these facts and figures would be made known to the American electorate, and that our Government would acknowledge their responsibility and become accountable to those who elected them. We see the effects of spending excessively in our own individual families, and see it on a much grander scale nationally. We pray that we would elect those Representatives, Senators, and President who would show fiscal responsibility. We see that if one keeps "borrowing", eventually one incurs excessive debt, which he/she cannot repay. Lord, have mercy on us, as we seek to reverse this destructive spending. In Your Name, we pray. Amen.
- "He who is faithful in what is least is faithful also in much; and he who is unjust in what is least is unjust also in much. Therefore if you have not been faithful in the unrighteous mammon, who will commit to your trust the true riches? And if you have not been faithful in what is another man's, who will give you what is your own?" (Luke 16:10-12)
4. U.S. Incomes Fell More in Recovery, Sentier Says - Bloomberg
American incomes declined more in the three-year expansion that started in June 2009 than during the longest recession since the Great Depression, according an analysis of U.S. Census Bureau data by Sentier Research LLC. ...Household income is 7.2 percent below the December 2007 level, the former Census Bureau economic statisticians wrote.
- Abba, again we cry out to You for wisdom to overturn these figures, and make things right financially for our children, and grandchildren, we pray. May we receive fair wages and be good stewards of those funds we have earned, and prioritize our spending. Amen.
-" I love the Lord, because He has heard [and now hears] my voice and my supplications. Because He has inclined His ear to me, therefore will I call upon Him as long as I live." (Psalm 116:1,2)
5. Immigration agents file suit against Napolitano over 'amnesty' program - Fox News
Ten federal immigration agents have filed suit against Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano claiming recent directives are forcing them to break the law and ignore their duties when it comes to deporting illegal immigrants.
- Lord, we ask that this subject would be more fully discussed, so we the people, would know how our national laws are affecting all of us - financially and otherwise. At a time when our national economy is in trouble, and our national debt is debilitating, we do not need to support those who are here illegally. We pray that those who are here - and wish to stay - would become "legal" according to the law's provision. We pray that those who wish us harm would be exposed and deported. We ask that our immigration agents would be able to do their jobs with integrity and efficiency, upholding our laws. Amen.
- "I urge, then, first of all, that petitions, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for all people- for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. This is good, and pleases God our Savior." (1 Timothy 2:1-3)
6. Multiple people have been shot and at least one killed in a shooting near the Empire State Building - CBS News
At least eight people were shot when gunfire broke out at 34th Street and Fifth Avenue around 9 a.m. Friday. Police said the gunman was shot and killed. There is a large police presence on the scene. The conditions of the victims are unknown. It's still not clear what led to the shooting. Fifth Avenue is closed between 34th Street and 33rd Street. Traffic is stopped from East 42nd Street.
- Father, we pray for those who have been shot. Reveal what led to this shooting. We pray measures will be taken to prevent this in the future. Comfort the families of the victims. In Jesus Name.
- The Lord is a refuge for the oppressed a stronghold in times of trouble.(Psalm 9:9)
The Middle East in Focus
The Middle East in Focus
This week, for all the headlines cited below, please join us in proclaiming THIS DECREE:
In that day this song shall be sung in the land of Judah: We have a strong city; He sets up salvation as our walls and banks. Open the gates, and the righteous nation shall enter in, keeping faithfulness.You will keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on You - because he trusts in You. Trust in the LORD forever; for in the LORD YHWH is everlasting strength. (Isaiah 26:1-4)
1. Egypt affirms commitment to peace treaty with Israel - Jerusalem Post
Defense Minister Ehud Barak spoke by telephone to his Egyptian counterpart Gen. Abdel Fattah al-Sisi on Friday morning, according to Arabic-language news agency Al-Hayat.
2. Hezbollah drill prepares to 'occupy the Galilee - Jerusalem Post
Over 10,000 Hezbollah fighters participated in the organization's largest military exercise to date last week, which included defensive tactics and preparations to occupy the Upper Galilee, Lebanese newspaper Al-Joumhouria reported.
3. Indyk: US expected Israel to strike Iran last spring - Jerusalem Post
Former US Ambassador to Israel Martin Indyk said that the United States "was convinced that Israel would attack" Iran's nuclear program during the spring months earlier this year, speaking in an interview with Army Radio on Thursday.
4. Iran Update: Pastor Yousef Receives Court Summons After More Than 1,000 Days in Prison - Jubilee Campaign
After months without any motion on this case, Pastor Yousef has received a written court summons, calling on him to appear on September 8th. While we pray that the Iranian regime will relent and release him, the previous death sentence for apostasy remains in effect and legally could be implemented at any time.
The Daily Jot
Muslim Brotherhood controls Egypt--US, too?
The occupant of the Oval Office launched a radical foreign policy change during his famous Cairo Speech in June 2009, called "A New Beginning." At that time, he invited members of the MB, an organization that was banned under the Mubarak regime. In just two years, the MB has now taken full control of Egypt through a so-called "democratic process" aided by the White House. An analysis by Zvi Mazel of the Jerusalem Post says the MB-backed Egyptian president Mohamed Morsi has replaced the Mubarak dictatorship with a Muslim Brotherhood one. In observing how the White House is assisting the MB legitimate question is: How much influence does Islam have on American policy?
News reports have indicated that the many Islamists with ties to the MB have been appointed to high level positions within the US government, including Homeland Security and the Pentagon. Most notable is Secretary of State Hillary Clinton's top aide Huma Abedin, whose brother, mother, and deceased father are all confirmed to have leadership ties to the MB. This may well connect the dots between this Administration's assistance of the MB in government takeovers in Libya, Egypt, Tunisia, Yeman, and now Syria, where the MB has announced it is funding a military arm to help topple the Assad regime. The MB is using the facade of democracy to gain Western support as it works to reestablish the Caliphate.
The Democratic National Convention is hosting "Juma at the DNC," an "Islamic Regal Banquet." The description on the Charlotte in 2012 website is: "The Bureau of Indigenous Muslim Affairs, (BIMA) as a non-profit organization is designed to serve and facilitate the efforts of Islamic organizations and Institutions in their endeavors as well as spread awareness about Indigenous Muslim issues. BIMA's purpose in rallying large numbers of Muslims to participate in this event, Jumah at the DNC, is to make the general public aware that the Muslim community is a healthy and vibrant component to the American society." Juma is defined as the congregational prayer of all adult Muslim males.
In the "New Beginning" speech, the president said: "I've come here to Cairo to seek a new beginning between the United States and Muslims around the world, one based on mutual interest and mutual respect, and one based upon the truth that America and Islam are not exclusive and need not be in competition. Instead, they overlap, and share common principles -- principles of justice and progress; tolerance and the dignity of all human beings." Islam, and the Muslim Brotherhood in particular, figures prominently in this Administration and the Democratic Party. Yeshua said in Matthew 7:15-16, "Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves. Ye shall know them by their fruits." I know the answer to the question by the actions AND the words.
Have a Blessed and Powerful Day!
On the Campaign Trail
It Ain't 2008
The Obama/Biden ticket is finding out that times have changed. Four years ago, fawning crowds greeted them everywhere they went. Women swooned. Four years later, the campaign trail is far different terrain.
For example, Obama's recent three-day swing through Iowa did not go quite as planned. When Obama went to the Iowa State Fair and wanted to visit the Bud Tent, the Secret Service sweep shut it down for two hours, costing the owner $25,000 in lost revenue. The owner complained that he felt like he had been forced to make a "campaign contribution against my will."
The next day, Obama visited a farm in Haverhill, Iowa, to promote wind energy. Obama met with the farmer, Jeff Heil, and his son, Jarret. It was perfect photo op for the president's alternative energy agenda.
But after Obama left, the Heils told reporters that they were voting for Mitt Romney. While they said it was an honor to have the president visit their farm, they said, "It is important to not get caught up in the president's glamorous re-election words and remember President Obama's first term record and rhetoric."
Then Obama went to a campaign event in Davenport only to find that the caterer was wearing a T-shirt with bold letters reading, "Government Didn't Build My Business, I Did."
And when Joe Biden asked to drop in on a local bakery in Virginia, the owner told his advance team, "No!" It is reported that security officials then returned to the store, thanked the owner and bought some cupcakes. When word spread of the baker's "cupcake mutiny," locals flocked to the store, and it sold out in a matter of hours.
Finally, it was announced last week that former Alabama Congressman Artur Davis will speak at the Republican National Convention this year. Why is that significant?
Davis, a black former Democrat, was an early supporter of Obama's 2008 campaign. In fact, he even delivered the seconding speech for Barack Obama's nomination at the 2008 Democratic National Convention. Four years later, Davis is endorsing Mitt Romney. (Gary Bauer)
After the Shooting: a 2nd Target Named
After the Shooting:
A Second Christian Conservative Organization Was Targeted
The Washington Post reported that "The head of a second Christian conservative organization said Friday she was told by authorities that a note containing her group's contact information was found in the pocket of a man charged with opening fire at the Washington offices of another such group, wounding a security guard."
Traditional Values Coalition President Andrea Lafferty said FBI agents visited her group's Capitol Hill offices hours after the Wednesday morning shooting as part of their investigation. The next day, she said, members of the Joint Terrorism Task Force came by and confirmed that "our information was in his pocket," including the location of the group's offices.
"I was stunned," Lafferty told The Associated Press, adding that she believes her group may have been targeted.
- Offer praise that the angels of God intervened last week to keep our friends at the Traditional Values Coalition safe from harm. Ask our Lord to place His Hand of protection upon the many Christian conservative ministries in the Washington, D.C. area as they work to do His will in this city and for the nation. Call forth the funding that will be needed now in order to enhance security in their headquarter offices. Again, praise God for His keeping power over us all!
- "You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good to accomplish what is now being done, the saving of many lives." (Genesis 50:20)
(Source: Intercessors for America)
DHS Warning: Convention Violence
DHS Warns of Violence at RNC/DNC Conventions
Developments over the past weeks and months have raised concerns about the upcoming Republican Nat'l Convention in Tampa, as well as the DNC meeting in Charlotte, NC the first week in September.
While violent protests at national party conventions are as American as baseball and apple pie, it is expected that these particular conventions will be especially brutal. Consider the times: a weak economy, high unemployment, unchecked illegal immigration, a decade of war and the likelihood of more, growing racial violence, unparalleled government spending, Wall Street investment rigging and banking corruption, dwindling methods of recourse and so on. The nation is angry. Lots on individuals and groups will be trying to make a statement.
Earlier in the month, the secretive hacking / activist group Anonymous posted an 8 min video making a call for activists to organize for the event. The video is an additional piece of the threat picture for the event.
While violent protesters will likely not have much of an impact on the convention site or attendees beyond beating on the edges of the security bubble, it is the area outside the last perimeter fence that has everyone concerned. The convention site is a hard target. Outside of the secure area is a different story. Significant damage to infrastructure and businesses is a real concern.
During the run up to the event, security is progressively being tightened, including sweeps on the ground, from the air, and atop buildings. In the process, a stash of pipes, bricks and other implements were just found on a building rooftop, along with graffiti displaying a person wearing a Guy Fawkes / Anonymous mask and the number '99'.
The bulletin also calls attention to the potential threat of the use of Molotov cocktails and acid bombs, as well as threats to local transportation infrastructure, and in particular, bridges.
As can be seen on a map, Tampa is a maritime community intertwined with waterways, over which roadways of various sizes pass. There could be big problems if one or more were to be rendered unusable.
In addition, Tampa Bay hosts vessels carrying a variety of dangerous cargos, including anhydrous ammonia, liquefied propane gas (LPG), and ammonium nitrate. Given the threat picture, the Coast Guard has announced the establishment of temporary moving security zones around such vessels. (Source: Alerts USA Threats Journal)
Guidance (From Alerts USA Threats Journal)
Readers are reminded that, regardless of political persuasion, this election will set the course of the Nation for a generation or more. Emotions are running at a fevered pitch and violence will likely be on the increase nationwide the closer we get to election day. Be prepared for it.
While America has typically been a wonderful example to the world on peaceful transitions of power, AlertsUSA Threat Journal strongly encourages readers to renew their sense of caution and vigilance. Watch your back. Talk to your family members specifically about this subject and make them aware of the need to do the same.
This election has the makings of being particularly ugly.
Judge OK's Surveillance of Mosque
FBI MAY SURVEIL MOSQUE ACTIVITIES, SAYS JUDGE
A California-based attorney says a federal judge ruled according to the law in tossing out a case involving the FBI spying on Moslems.
Attorney General Eric Holder attempted to throw out the lawsuit, while the American Civil Liberties Union of Southern California, the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) and attorneys for Moslems hoped it would go forward. But U.S. District Court Judge Cormac Carney has thrown out the case. According to Carney, allowing the lawsuit to move forward would mean privileged secrets that compromise national security would be revealed. The federal judge says he reluctantly made his decision after reviewing declarations by the FBI.
Karen Lugo, a constitutional law attorney in southern California, supports his ruling.
"To rule out being able, when there is the decision to surveil [sic] within legal boundaries, but to surveil various activities relative to a mosque -- he ruled according to what the law is," she comments. "This was a matter of understanding that the FBI has to have some surveillance tools. And ... the judge did not say this, but an empirical study that has been peer-reviewed has demonstrated that 70-80 percent of the mosques in the U.S. are radicalized."
A group of Orange County Moslems filed the class action lawsuit and said the FBI violated their constitutional rights by sending an undercover agent to spy on them. The FBI informant posed as a Moslem to gather information at mosques in the area. (Contributors:One News Now)
[Reported by: Intercessors for America]
- Pray for the FBI to be sensitive and respectful, while still being shrewd and circumspect, in its use of surveillance tools. Pray that Islamist followers would submit to the love of Christ. Pray that they will see the love that Jesus has for all His creation. Pray for an opening of their hearts to His plan of redemption, and pray that they would not perish but have everlasting life through Jesus Christ.
- "For God so loved the world, that He gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)
Judge Dismisses Charges Against Ex-Marine
'Outraged' judge frees veteran Raub from Virginia psych ward
A former Marine who was forced into a psychiatric ward for anti-government Facebook postings has been freed from the hospital, according to a Circuit Court ruling Thursday.
Judge Allan Sharrett dismissed the case against Brandon Raub, who had been detained by government officials and transferred to a VA Hospital in Salem, Va., earlier this week.
The judge called the petition to continue Raub's forced detention "so devoid of any factual allegations that it could not be reasonably expected to give rise to a case or controversy."
John W. Whitehead, president of the Rutherford Institute, the civil rights firm that defended Mr. Raub, called the verdict pleasant surprise to a "bizarre" case that seemed more in line with a police state than free America.
"I was very, very surprised," Mr. Whitehead said in a Thursday telephone interview with Times247.com shortly after the ruling. "The way the system is erected, there are about 20,000 people committed each year and they never get out that fast. It never happens like this."
In this instance, the judge was "outraged," Mr. Whitehead said, and determined to issue a ruling the same day of the hearing. Mr. Raub was expected to be released immediately. (Times 24/7) Read more
The Good News Corner
The Good News Corner
GOP Platform Committee Reins in Gay Military
Delegates crafting the Republican Party's platform this week took a strong stance on military issues - including vowing to protect chaplains' conscience rights and enforcing the Defense of Marriage Act on military installations.
The platform committee also said the party opposes "anything that might weaken team cohesion, including intra-military special interest demonstrations" - such as wearing uniforms in gay pride events.
Those resolutions echo what the Chaplain Alliance for Religious Liberty has been calling on the federal government to do since the repeal of "Don't Ask Don't Tell" became official earlier this year. (by Karla Dial, CitizenLink) Read more.
Worship with Us Today!
Worship with Us Today!
Never once did we ever walk alone
Never once did You leave us on our own
You are faithful, God, You are faithful
You are faithful, God, You are faithful