Volume XV, Number 29 November 17 - 21, 2008
On Capitol Hill This Week
"Yours, O Lord, is the greatness and power . . . for everything in heaven and earth is yours." (I Chronicles 29:11)
PLEASE NOTE: The 110th Congress returns this week to take care of unfinished business for this year. We report today on some of the legislative business that will be addressed during this lame duck session.
On Capitol Hill This Week; Vol. XV, No. 29
CONGRESS RETURNS THIS WEEK
CONGRESS WELCOMES 60 NEW MEMBERS
PRAY FOR JUSTICE IN THE MINNESOTA SENATE RACE
REGULATING TALK RADIO
FREEDOM OF CHOICE ACT
MILITARY ATHEISTS WANT NEW RULES ON PRAYER
OBAMA ANNOUNCES KEY WHITE HOUSE POSTS
TIME OF TRANSITION VULNERABLE TO ATTACKS ON U.S.
THREATS AGAINST PRESIDENT-ELECT OBAMA INCREASE
CHPP ASKS SPECIAL PRAYER FOR PRESIDENT BUSH
G20 CALLED "BRETTON WOODS II"
URGENT! PRAY OVER CALIFORNIA WILDFIRES
1. CONGRESS RETURNS THIS WEEK
When Members return to town next week, there could actually be two Congresses at work simultaneously. Party leaders may call the 110th Congress back for a lame-duck session to take up an economic stimulus package. At the same time, House and Senate Members-elect of the 111th Congress are convening for "early organization" caucuses - mainly for party leadership elections and freshman orientation. The Senate convenes today (Monday, Nov. 17); and the House will convene on wednesday, Nov. 19th. (Intercessors for America; Capitol Hill Prayer Partners)
· Pray for these two meetings of Congress, especially that the lame-duck session of the 110th session will not be influenced by the meeting of the newly forming 111th Congress. Ask the Lord to oversee the meetings of the 110th Congress so that wisdom, grace, and divine strategies will be forthcoming. Let us turn to the Lord for the economic stimulus package.
· "That they do good, that they be rich in good works, ready to distribute, willing to communicate." (1 Timothy 6:18)
2. CONGRESS WELCOMES 60 NEW MEMBERS
60 new faces, the freshman class of the next Congress, converged on the Capitol Monday to catch a glimpse of the final moments of the current Congress, bickering to the bitter end. The 50-odd freshmen in the House, and eight in the Senate, were in Washington for sessions on the minutiae of being a member of Congress - how to hire a staff and set up an office, how to conform to ethics rules and what to do in a security situation. They will also get to vote on the new leadership, and the people who will head committees when the new Congress convenes and is sworn in during early January. People with experience "are trying to keep us from rushing into swinging doors," said Rep-elect Walt Minnick of Idaho, one of at least 32 freshmen Democrats. With several seats still undecided, Republicans will have at least 19 fresh faces in a new Congress, the 111th, where Democrats will enjoy an expanded majority. In the Senate, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid meets Monday with six Democrats who will take seats previously held by Republicans in Colorado, New Mexico, Virginia, New Hampshire, North Carolina and Oregon. Republican leader Mitch McConnell is meeting with future GOP senators Jim Risch of Idaho and Mike Johanns of Nebraska. (AP)
· Again, ask our Lord to grace each new member of the House and the Senate with His wisdom, anointing, and skill to be able to serve our people with excellence in the next session of Congress. Remember to pray for "all in authority," for many have asked for and are depending upon our prayers!
· "I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone- for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. This is good, and pleases God our Savior, who wants all men to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth." (I Tim. 2:1-4)
3. PRAY FOR JUSTICE IN THE MINNESOTA SENATE RACE
The results in the Minnesota Senate race are changing by the day. Incumbent Republican Senator Norm Coleman faced a stiff challenge from comedian Al Franken but pulled out an extraordinarily close win on Election Night by just 725 votes. But in the days since November 4th, Senator Coleman has watched his lead steadily evaporate. Now he is ahead by just 206 votes, and the recount will not officially get underway until next week. How is this happening? Well, 32 absentee ballots just happened to be discovered in the trunk of one election official's car. In other cases, election officials are "correcting reporting errors" on Election Day.
Needless to say, there is a lot of scrutiny on Minnesota's elections officials, including its top officer, Democratic Secretary of State Mark Ritchie. Press reports indicate that Ritchie was supported in 2006 by a shadowy 527 organization called the "Secretary of State Project" or the "SOS Project." According to the Wall Street Journal, the group was founded by an operative from MoveOn.org and is reportedly affiliated with the Democracy Alliance, which is funded by George Soros.(End-of-day-report, Gary Bauer 11/12/08) · Truly amazing is the wickedness that the left can devise! Pray for Mr. Mark Ritchie so that accuracy can be accomplished in counting the ballots. Power truly does corrupt.
· "That we may be delivered from unreasonable and wicked men: for all men have not faith. But the Lord is faithful, who shall establish you, and keep you from evil." (2 Thessalonians 3:2,4)
4. REGULATING TALK RADIO
With the new power they amassed on Nov. 4, some Democrats appear intent on regulating conservative speech. Sen. Chuck Schumer (D-NY) stated his support for "fair and balanced" talk radio, then equated conservative viewpoints with "pornography." The Fairness Doctrine, created by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) in 1967, requires broadcasters to air contrasting viewpoints on controversial issues. It was lifted in 1987 by the FCC. Henry Rivera, the man tapped to lead the Obama transition team for the Federal Communications Commission, is a leading advocate of the Fairness Doctrine, which many conservatives refer to as the "Censorship Doctrine."
Rivera is well-known for pushing a left-wing agenda, including the notion that "communications policy is a civil rights issue," and supporting affirmative action- style programs that would essentially mandate racial quotas in media ownership. An appointment to the FCC will open up next summer, allowing soon-to-be President Obama to create a 3-to-2 Democrat majority on the FCC, which many believe would attempt to reinstate the "Censorship Doctrine." (End-of-Day, Gary Bauer 11/12/08)
· With a majority in the House and Senate, stopping this bill can be difficult, but the Lord can intervene so that the voice of conservative common sense can be proclaimed on talk radio. Ask the Lord to establish glitches in this bill so that it never sees the light of day in Congress. Pray that our president-elect succumb to every leftist idea presented in the Congress.
· "For with God, nothing shall be impossible." (Luke 1:37)
5. FREEDOM OF CHOICE ACT
The nation's premier pro-life legal organization has launched a new project aimed at stopping passage of the most radical pro-abortion legislation in the nation's history. With the full support of President- elect Barack Obama, congressional Democrats are poised to pass the Freedom of Choice Act (FOCA), a law that will make abortion a "fundamental right" much the same as the right to vote and the right to free speech. By doing so, this new federal law would automatically invalidate every federal, state and local law placing even the most common sense restrictions on abortion.
"Ninety-nine percent of the American public has no idea that this bill even exists and they certainly don't realize the grave import of what this will do," said Daniel McConchie, vice president of Americans United for Life, a pro-life legal organization that has launched Fightfoca.com to prevent passage of the bill. " 'Freedom of Choice' sounds so benign but people have simply no comprehension of what a radical piece of legislation this is," Mr. McConchie said. Not only would it enshrine the right to abortion-on- demand into American law, but FOCA specifically states that it must invalidate any other federal state or local law that would "deny or interfere with a woman's right to choose" abortion, or that would "discriminate against the exercise of the right . . . in the regulation or provision of benefits, facilities, services or information." Thus, every piece of legislation placing commonsense and protective restrictions on abortion, such as the ban on partial-birth abortion, parental and informed consent laws, abortion clinic regulations, restrictions on taxpayer funding, and the requirement only a doctor can perform an abortion, would all be nullified. If the bill passes, there will be only one recourse - vote the proponents out of office and elect pro-life legislators who are willing to overturn it. (Intercessors for America)
· Why were Americans' ears closed when they heard the president-elect proclaim his support of abortion? Shout the truth of this bill from the house tops, write to your Congressmen, write to your local newspapers, and speak to your pastors.. God's judgment is already lying heavily on America. What will the Lord do if we continue to add more babies to the list of 50 million slaughtered since 1972? "
· "For my mouth shall speak truth; and wickedness is an abomination to my lips." (Proverbs 8:7)
6. MILITARY ATHEISTS WANT NEW RULES ON PRAYER
A coalition of atheists and agnostics wants the new White House to protect young military members from what they see as rampant religious discrimination in the services. The Secular Coalition for America held a news conference Monday urging new rules against proselytizing and more training for chaplains on how to handle nonreligious troops. "When they say 'there are no atheists in foxholes' it's slanderous," said Wayne Adkins, a former Army first lieutenant who served in Iraq in 2004 and 2005. "To deny their existence is to deny that they serve."
The coalition also wants President-elect Obama to develop a new directive for all chaplains and commanders that eliminates public prayers from any mandatory-attendance events for troops and ensures the Defense Department will not endorse any single religion, or even the idea of religion over non-religion. About one-fifth of current service members identify themselves as having no religious preference, according to Defense Department statistics. Only a small percentage of troops identify themselves as atheists or agnostics, but Torpy said that's because they fear retribution. Without new rules, he said, there isn't any guarantee they can avoid that kind of treatment. "We're as dedicated to the military as our Christian counterparts," he said. "We just want to serve our country, too." (Stars and Stripes)
· "Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do." These atheists and agnostics really are demonstrating much pride when they turn anger against Christianity as an excuse for lack of recognition or reason for lack of promotion. Their understanding is blinded. Please, everyone, pray that hearts which are now hardened against Jesus Christ are softened, so that these agnostics and atheists can see the truth and the joy of knowing Him.
· "How excellent is Thy loving kindness, O God! Therefore the children of men put their trust under the shadow of Thy wing. For in Thee is the fountain of life: in Thy Light shall we see light." (Psalm 36:7,9)
7. OBAMA ANNOUNCES KEY WHITE HOUSE POSTS
President-Elect Barack Obama announced additional key White House staff on Sunday in the latest round of appointments as the Democrat's transition team works to fill out the senior ranks of his administration. Pete Rouse will serve as senior adviser to the president, and Mona Sutphen and Jim Messina will both serve as deputy chiefs of staff. These individuals are important additions to a team with the experience and ability to help our nation overcome pressing challenges at home and around the world," Obama said in a press release. Rouse -- Obama's chief of staff while in the U.S. Senate -- has worked for various members of Congress for more than 30 years, including former Democratic leader Tom Daschle, whom he served for 19 years. As Obama's chief of staff in the Senate, Rouse had a critical role in helping to launch Obama's 2008 presidential run. Mona Sutphen is a member of Obama's transition team, and has been managing director of Stonebridge International, a strategic consulting firm based in Washington, D.C. Sutphen also was a foreign service officer and worked on the National Security Council in the Clinton White House. Jim Messina -- Obama's national chief of staff during the presidential campaign -- is currently the director of personnel for Obama's transition team. (AP)
· Please make the matter of the appointment of all members of the next administration a matter of serious, continuous prayer. Pray the our Lord would grace the President-Elect with His wisdom, as he begins to wear the new mantle that is before him. With each mantle, comes new grace and new anointing to do the task at hand. Thank you, Lord. Amen.
· "Take away the wicked from before the king, And his throne will be established in righteousness." (Prov. 25:5)
8. TIME OF TRANSITION VULNERABLE TO ATTACKS ON U.S.
Faced with one of the most important transfers of presidential power in American history - amid wars on two fronts, the looming threat of terrorism at home, and a full-blown economic crisis - the outgoing Bush administration and the incoming Obama team have responded with nearly unprecedented cooperation on those issues, aides and outside experts say. Serious decisions, and potentially divisive ones, still remain for the politically and ideologically divided camps, such as access to classified information and, in particular, battles over the regulations and executive orders that will define the policy of the two administrations. President Bush's chief of staff, Joshua Bolten, said the White House is even preparing a "tabletop" exercise to simulate how Obama's national-security officials should respond in the event of a terrorist attack. "If a crisis hits on January 21, they're the ones that are going to have to deal with it," Bolten said in an interview taped for broadcast Sunday on C-SPAN. "We need to make sure they're as well-prepared as possible." (Washington Post 11/10/08)
· Offer praise to the Lord that He has graced each of us to live in THIS nation -- one which is known for its careful, deliberate procedures that are designed to safeguard the livess of both its citizens and its leaders. As the current administration works to interface witih the incoming one, pray for a smooth transtion in all matters related to national security, and the swift resolution of any "policy differences" that remain. As we ask Him for wisdom, He WILL grant it!
· "Ask, and it will be given to you;. . ." (Matthew 7:7)
9. THREATS AGAINST PRESIDENT-ELECT OBAMA INCREASE
Authorities have seen more potentially threatening writings, Internet postings and other activity against Barack Obama than any other previous president- elect, officials aware of the situation said. Here, Obama is accompanied by Secret Service agents as he heads to his vehicle in Chicago, Nov. 7. In the security world, anything "new" can trigger hostility, said Joseph Funk, a former Secret Service agent-turned security consultant who oversaw a private protection detail for Obama before the Secret Service began guarding the candidate in early 2007. The Secret Service also has cautioned the public not to assume that any threats against Obama are due to racism. The service investigates threats in a wide range. There are "stated threats" and equally dangerous or lesser incidents considered of "unusual interest" - such as people motivated by obsessions or infatuations or lower-level gestures such as effigies of a candidate or an elected president. The service has said it does not have the luxury of discounting anything until agents have investigated the potential danger.
· Pray for the safety of the life of the President-Elect, his wife, and his children.
· "The effectual, fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much." (James 5:16)
10. CHPP ASKS SPEICAL PRAYER FOR PRESIDENT BUSH
While we are exhorted to intercede fervently for the life of the incoming Presient-elect, let us not forget to pray for the life of the President we have now: George W. Bush. Presdent Bush still has two more months in office, before President-Elect Obama takes over. As such the man in the Oval Office always deserves our prayers.
· Let us join with Intercessors for America in decreeing that every curse spoken in past years to the effect that one brought into office in a zero-year is BROKEN and of NO EFFECT. To read more about the history of this understanding, go here.
· "Christ has redeemed us from the curse of the law, having become a curse for us (for it is written, "Cursed is everyone who hangs on a tree.)" (Gal.3:13)
11. G20 CALLED "BRETTON WOODS II"
This weekend, a G-20 Leaders Summit on Financial Markets and the World Economy iconvened in Washington D.C. The emergency summit was called two months ago by President George W. Bush to discuss the international financial crisis. Most of the discussions will take place behind closed doors, with much of the focus on reducing the economic influence of the United States and coerce the U.S. into new global financial alignments, similar to those of the "Bretton Woods System" established in 1944. (See below)
Leading up to the Summit, Britain's Prime Minister Gordon Brown said, "My message is that we must be: internationalist not protectionist; interventionist not neutral; progressive not reactive; and forward looking not frozen by events. We can seize the moment and in doing so build a truly global society." Brown wants to bring economic decisions into alignment with social needs around the world. French President Nicolas Sarkozy, after meeting with European leaders in Paris on October 4th, called for the global summit to implement "a real and complete reform of the international financial system." Sarkozy said, "We want a new world to come out of this."
The Bretton Woods system of monetary management established the rules for commercial and financial relations among the world's major industrial states. The Bretton Woods system was the first example of a fully negotiated monetary order intended to govern monetary relations among independent nation-states. Preparing to rebuild the international economic system as World War II was still raging, 730 delegates from all 44 Allied nations gathered at the Mount Washington Hotel in Bretton Woods, New Hampshire, for the United Nations Monetary and Financial Conference. . . ..
Setting up a system of rules, institutions, and procedures to regulate the international monetary system, the planners at Bretton Woods established the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development (IBRD) (now one of five institutions in the World Bank Group) and the International Monetary Fund (IMF). These organizations became operational in 1945 after a sufficient number of countries had ratified the agreement. It is important that we intercede about this meeting and ask the Holy Spirit to intervene on behalf of the sovereignty and Constitutional identity of the United States.
· To intercede with understanding and pray into the aftermath of this G-20 Summit, you are encouraged to study about the Bretton Woods conference. This weekend's G-20 meeting is being referred to as "Bretton Woods II." Generals of Intercession has posted a historic study by Martha Lucia on the Bretton Woods System. Click here to access that report. (Source: Intercessors for America)
12. URGENT! PRAY OVER CALIFORNIA WILDFIRES
Hundreds of Homes Reduced to Ash in California Fires Since these fires first broke out last Thursday, 800 homes have been destroyed from coastal Santa Barbara to inland Riverside County, on the other side of the Los Angeles area. Smoke blanketed the nation's second-largest city Saturday, reducing the afternoon sun to a pale orange disk. Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger declared a state of emergency in Los Angeles and Orange and Riverside counties. Fire officials estimated that at its peak 26,000 people were under orders to evacuate. As of this writing, the winds have calmed down and the firefighters have been able to make gains in containing some of the fires. However, it is expected that it will take weeks before all the fires are out.
Prayer Request from Pastor Wiley S. Drake, Jr. Buena Vista Baptist Church, Buena Vista, CA We are within 5 miles of the center of the local fires. The only thing we are facing is the ash falling etc. Please pray that we will be able to help people and share Jesus with them. May God help us to be " and after the fire a still small voice."(I King 19:12)
· Yes, Pastor Wiley! We are praying with you and for you all, in southern California! AMEN!
A Letter from a Friend re: Cabinet Appointments
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." Family and Friends, I will soon send you a few thoughts on the election, but in the meantime I implore you to KEEP PRAYING for what is happening right now. The choices Mr. Obama makes for cabinet seats and about 3000 other political positions within the federal government will have enormous ramifications for every American -- as well as for years to come. Who becomes Attorney General affects which federal laws will be enforced -- and how leniently or harshly.
Who becomes Secretary of State determines what messages we will send to our long-time allies in Britain, Australia, and Israel; our new allies in Poland, Czechoslovakia, and other former Soviet republics; and our enemies in Iran, Venezuela, and communist China. Those are just two of the most visible examples, but important posts and positions abound.
PLEASE PRAY: - That Mr. Obama and his team would know the fear of the Lord God, which is the beginning of wisdom, and that their decisions would be shaped and directed by that fear.
Remember: "The king's heart is in the hand of the LORD; like the rivers of water; He turns it wherever He wishes." (Prov. 21:1) - That the Lord God will thwart the plans of anyone involved in the process who is bent on evil (regardless of how well-intentioned they may consider themselves or may actually be) and bring confusion in their camp. - That despite the plans of anyone bent on evil, the Lord God will place men and women committed to righteousness within every branch and office of the Obama administration. Thank you!!
B.W. Alexandria, VA
More Prayer Points for the Transition
This list of prayer points for the transtion is reprinted from CCNews.org, with permission. May thanks to Joe Walsh, editor of CCNewss, for allowing us to share these with you.
1. Pray for the transition process between administrations.
2. Pray for grace and wisdom for President Bush in these final days of presidency.
3. Pray for the appointments President-elect Obama makes in these days and for those positions of his Cabinet and the entire White House Staff.
4. Pray for the first day, the first week, the first month, the first 100 days of office for President-elect Obama. There are many long-term and life consequence decisions that will be made that affect our nation politically, financially, judicially, socially, morally, ethically and spiritually.
5. Pray for personal faith in the God of the Bible to be that of President-elect Obama, Michelle and their children.
6. Pray for their personal protection, direction and favor of God upon their hearts and home.
This Week, Worship Our Lord As . . .
THE ANGEL OF HIS PRESENCE (Meh-lekh Pah- nav)
"In all their distress He too was distressed, and the angel of His presence saved them." (Isaiah 63:9)
Thank You, father, for the Angel of Your Presence that is there always to protect me. May I never stray from Your ever-watchful eye. Thank You for all of the dangers from which You have protected me, many of which I shall never be aware. How I praise the Angel of his Presence! Amen.
"I will praise you forever for what you have done; in your name I will hope, for your name is good. I will praise you in the presence of your saints." (Psalm 52:9)
(Taken from: Intimate Moments with the Hebrew Names of God, by Barri Cae Malin and Shmuel Wolkenfeld; Bridge-Logos Publishers; Gainesville, FL, 32614. ISBN: 0-88270-801-5)